What band did you used to love, but saw them live and now hate them?

nasum

CAGiversary!
Kate Nash - $5 show on Cinco de Mayo, huge letdown. The "B" Squad was definitely in charge of sound and lights because there was barely any of either. You know you've done something wrong with a mixing board when the first kick drum hit startles the singer...

10,000 Maniacs - Can't describe why, but it was a terrible live show

Cradle of Filth - well, I still love two of their albums and listen to them quite often, but god are they terrible live

Danzig - dude walked into the club, shook his head and left without playing a note

Dimmu Borgir - At the same club as the Danzing show, so much fogger smoke that I got brutally ill, aside from Puritanical and everything up to and including Enthrone their studio output is pretty meh anyways.

While it didn't make me hate his music more, Ozzy was pretty damn terrible live at Ozzfest several years back. Sounded like a cover band that got together the night before but didn't try learning the music until about 6 hours before the show. Dreadful.

[quote name='4thHorseman']While it didn't make me hate his music more, Ozzy was pretty damn terrible live at Ozzfest several years back. Sounded like a cover band that got together the night before but didn't try learning the music until about 6 hours before the show. Dreadful.[/QUOTE]

I was going to say pretty much the same thing. I saw Black Sabbath a while back when they played Ozfest. It was awful. The drummer looked like my grandfather, was turning so red I thought he was going to die on stage. Ozzy just HUMMED 90% of the lyrics. I dont HATE them after that because I realize they are 100 years old but still. I left half way through their awful set.

Disturbed and Five Finger Death Punch are two other bands who I liked their cds but when I saw them live they were garbage. Disturbed is just so stale and has no energy. FFDP just act like a generic metal group. No originality.

Everclear.

I saw them when they were part of a tour with Matchbox Twenty and Lifehouse (when at the time, they were the "Hanging By A Moment" band). Holy crap, they were terrible live. It just sounded like they were not into the crowd after about two songs and just phoned it in the rest of the way.

I don't say I hate them, though. I just know to stick to their albums. Well, at least their earlier works. Their more recent stuff has just been god awful.

Tool. I was a huge Tool fan in high school, and got to finally see them during my junior year back in 2002. I was bored beyond bored at the show. Crowd didn't move at all. Band had no energy, and I couldn't wait for it to be finished. After seeing them live, I just lost all interest in them, and haven't ever felt like listening to any of their stuff after that.

[quote name='Regian']Everclear.

I saw them when they were part of a tour with Matchbox Twenty and Lifehouse (when at the time, they were the "Hanging By A Moment" band). Holy crap, they were terrible live. It just sounded like they were not into the crowd after about two songs and just phoned it in the rest of the way.

I don't say I hate them, though. I just know to stick to their albums. Well, at least their earlier works. Their more recent stuff has just been god awful.[/QUOTE]

Same thing with Everclear when they came to Pittsburgh a few years back and it was horrible. The lead singer got into with a local radio host earlier in the day during a in-studio appearance and used the whole set to tear into the guy in between every song they played. By the middle of the show the crowd turned on him and it got worse after that.

I haven't been to many concerts, but I remember years ago when No Doubt was popular I saw them perform "live" on TV. Gwen Stefani can't sing at all.

Either she got lessons or they auto tune the crap out of her because she sounds better now.

I also can't stand the way the dude from Green day looks when he's singing; so I hate them too.

[quote name='Regian']Everclear.

I don't say I hate them, though. I just know to stick to their albums. Well, at least their earlier works. Their more recent stuff has just been god awful.[/QUOTE]

I saw that same tour when they stopped in Toledo. I don't remember them being bad but I remember totally getting into MB20 from that night on based on their performance.

I'll throw Offspring into the mix. They did a Xmas show with Korn, Adema and Ill Nino in 2003 and everyone was great but them. It was terribly disappointing because they had always been one of my favorite bands. I still love their studio music but I'll pass on ever seeing them again.

None that I can think of. All the bands I've liked and saw live were at least decent live, and most were very good or great.

There's been some bands I didn't care for much until seeing live though.

[quote name='Mayson']I haven't been to many concerts, but I remember years ago when No Doubt was popular I saw them perform "live" on TV. Gwen Stefani can't sing at all.
[/QUOTE]

I disagree. I saw No Doubt live about a year and a half ago and they were outstanding. Gwen Stefani was good but the rest of the band are just total pros, absolutely great performance. Granted this was probably years later and maybe they put a little more effort into it since it was their reunion tour.

I also saw The Offspring live around the same time and they were pretty good but not quite as much energy as I expected. It may have been because it was a really rainy outdoor Tuesday concert and wasn't a sellout, or maybe because Dropkick Murphys kicked so much ass right before them.

I watched some videos on youtube of a recent Blink 182 concert I passed up on going to. I've heard they are pretty bad live but wow they were awful at that show. I've also heard the lead singer of Rise Against is really bad live and a lot of their live footage seems to back that up.

[quote name='QiG']I saw that same tour when they stopped in Toledo. I don't remember them being bad but I remember totally getting into MB20 from that night on based on their performance.[/QUOTE]

Toledo, eh? Well, you either saw them right before or right after my show. Mine was in Chicago. Night off, perhaps?

MB20 killed it for two hours that night, too. Well worth whatever I spent for the ticket. Even from the nosebleed section.

Not necessarily hate, but was greatly disappointed when I saw Smashing Pumpkins. Their songs sounded good, but Jesus they were just boring live and it takes alot for me to dislike a band when they play at Red Rocks. They had little to no interaction with the audience and stood still for about an hour.

I don't hate them but Pearl Jam was one of the most boring live shows I've ever seen. They just kind of played their songs and left. Zero crowd interaction, zero energy. They phoned in the whole performance and no one cheered for an encore when they left they stage.

[quote name='nasum']

Cradle of Filth - well, I still love two of their albums and listen to them quite often, but god are they terrible live
[/QUOTE]

really? i dont listen to cradle of filth at all, but the one time i happened to see them i thought they were fantastic.

the only band i can think of completely forsaking after seeing them live is the agony scene. i thought their first album as decent, saw them open for... i dunno i cant remember now. but that was one of the worst shows ive ever seen and never listened to them again. which is just as well, my music taste has changed considerably since then.

if you have seen one offspring show, you have seen them all. They have played the exact same set list for the last 5 years I swear! I have rocked out to the offspring since 93 and couldn't wait to see them, but I expected more. They were good, but I expected great. I also really haven't been to a show where I was like boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Whoever's tool comment bothers me, I love tool, but yet to see them live, I hope it isn't a let down, I don't know how it could be, I will be singing the songs with them blazin the chronic. Maybe you just needed a lil weed in your life

[quote name='bardockkun']Not necessarily hate, but was greatly disappointed when I saw Smashing Pumpkins. Their songs sounded good, but Jesus they were just boring live and it takes alot for me to dislike a band when they play at Red Rocks. They had little to no interaction with the audience and stood still for about an hour.[/QUOTE]

I have the exact same situation with System of a Down. I don't hate them, but they SUCKED live. Same thing, they sounded great but looked like they didn't want to be there. I don't even bother listening to them that much anymore, that show pissed me off.

[quote name='dkcecil']I don't hate them but Pearl Jam was one of the most boring live shows I've ever seen. They just kind of played their songs and left. Zero crowd interaction, zero energy. They phoned in the whole performance and no one cheered for an encore when they left they stage.[/QUOTE]

What? When was this? This can't be true. I've seen them over 20 times and they go balls to the wall every single time. It is the only show I look forward to every year now.

I've been to a lot of shows over the years... For me it would have to be Red Hot Chili Peppers (surprisingly lame although maybe because the Foo Fighters opened and they were ridiculous) and Live (god-awful but I only went to see Luscious Jackson who opened for them). I also didn't like Third Eye Blind live at all (the dude can't sing plus they went on 2 hours late - note to Stephen Jenkins: you aren't Axl Rose) but I still love their overproduced CDs. Oasis also mailed it in when I saw them (1998?) but I was pretty hammered so I didn't care. Oh yeah, R.E.M. sucked on the Monster tour and I don't listen to them any more but it wasn't because of that show...

Yeah, Pearl Jam have been fantastic everytime I've seen them live.

Surprised you didn't like Live, I saw them a handful of times over the years and they were always very good live.

I saw them maybe 3 times total (one of the times was at a frat party right before the second album came out). They got progressively worse each time and they played every song note for note. I could have skipped the show and played their CDs through a blown speaker and gotten the same effect. Plus, it was the time when their lead singer had that douchebag ponytail and they were touring behind Secret Samadhi which is total garbage and they were just worse and worse by the minute. Their first two CDs are pretty decent but everything after.... yikes.

Ah, it's just that you don't like them in general much. :D I like all their first 5 albums. The last two where shit though.

yeah... I did at the time though which is why I think they fit what the OP was looking for. My wife hates them probably more than I do after that last show we saw!

[quote name='Javery']yeah... I did at the time though which is why I think they fit what the OP was looking for. My wife hates them probably more than I do after that last show we saw![/QUOTE]

Fair enough. I've saw them 5 times I think, first couple would have been on The Secret Samadhi tour (my favorite album of theirs personally), last was on the Birds of Pray tour. All shows were good. Last was the weakest since the Pray album stunk, but they played enough older stuff to still make it a good show.

But yeah, they definitely seem to fit what the OP was asking for you!

I would agree mostly that they just played note perfect versions of the album songs. But they also always had good energy etc. so I was fine with that. I'm not a big fan of jam bands that change things up a lot from the album versions personally. Only exceptions would be DMB and to a lesser extent Pearl Jam (as the majority of their live songs aren't changed up much from the albums). Otherwise I just like seeing high energy performances of the album songs I love.

[quote name='mightymek']I never loved them, but Deftones are HORRIBLE live. And I was unfortunate enough to see them live like 3 times.[/QUOTE]

When I saw them when I was younger (about 3 times; last time seeing them was White Pony release) I never thought they were bad at all. Maybe you just aren't a fan of Chino and the way he sings so you judged the performance off it.

I saw Everclear twice (once during the American Movie tour and once when it was just Art and he was playing an outdoor show for free) and they sucked both times. No energy at all.

That radio DJ dustup is a funny story, actually. Art was supposed to do a call-in with the radio station to promote his show. The DJ calls him the morning of the show, when he was supposed to, for the interview and Art flips out at him, big-timing and being like "who gave you this number" and "how dare you call me like that" and "do you know who I am".

Another band I liked but saw totally mail it in was Reel Big Fish, saw them with Goldfinger and Goldfinger blew them off the stage.

And the Monster tour for REM? Really? The tour where Bill Berry had a stroke and the band almost broke up for good? I think they get a pass for that.

I'm still a fan, but the last time I saw The Bouncing Souls at the House of Blues at the Mandalay Bay, they sort of phoned it in/sucked. They didn't play any of their hit songs/popular songs and the show was extremely mediocre. I enjoyed going, since I picked up a cool t-shirt of theirs and was glad that it had only cost me $15 at the time, but I the band's reputation in my eyes has definitely dropped.

Reel Big Fish - overall it was a good concert, but they were having sound problems plaguing their show the entire night. Also, on their final song they sort of just threw it together, then ran off stage and didn't come out to either bow, give an encore, or listen to fan reaction and applause.

[quote name='ElwoodCuse']And the Monster tour for REM? Really? The tour where Bill Berry had a stroke and the band almost broke up for good? I think they get a pass for that.[/QUOTE]

They don't get a pass from me - I saw them 7 full months after the stroke. It sucks that it happened but just cancel the shows if you are going to mail it in - I paid a lot of money for those tickets. They were MUCH better when I saw them on the Green tour. I saw them one other time in 1998 (Tibetan Freedom Concert) and they sucked then too. I love R.E.M. through New Adventures In Hi-Fi but I kind of lost interest after that. Up was OK and I liked Accelerate (but haven't listened to it since it came out) and I haven't heard the new one yet. Reveal and Around The Sun do not exist.

[quote name='mightymek']I never loved them, but Deftones are HORRIBLE live. And I was unfortunate enough to see them live like 3 times.[/QUOTE]

I used to love Deftones, Around the Fur and Adrenaline were 2 of my favorite albums back in highschool. I saw them live a year or two ago, and it was just an absolute train wreck. I swear Chino was drunk out of his mind. It was just ugly.

All this talk of how bad Deftones was gives me no regret now in not seeing them a few months ago despite Dillinger Escape Plan opening, but $30 a ticket balances out more in the favor of negative though.

bread's done
Back