What CCG/TCG Do you play?

Decepticreep

CAGiversary!
Feedback
44 (100%)
When I was in Jr. High, I used to play Star Wars by Decipher, but now, I can't find anyone who still plays. Since then, I've picked up Magic. Do any of you guys play any collectable card games?

I play a little bit of Magic: The Gathering on the 360, but not too serious about it.

While I haven't played much in the CCG realm lately, one that I would play often was an online game called Cardmaster Conflict. Aside from a few donation cards you could get, 100% free.

Used to play a ton of Yugioh (judged at 3 locations and met my fiance that way), but my shops closed down and I fell out of it. Recently picked up Magic thanks to the influence of my sister and LRR, who gave me the promo cards for Duel of the Planeswalkers 2012 at PAX this year. If you play Magic and haven't seen their 'It's Magic' video, you should give it a look.

I've thought about getting back into World of Warcraft TCG (after playing it for a few months when it released) but most of the fun in playing CCGs/TCGs is playing with friends and most of mine have sworn off card games. Every time I think about getting back into card games though I remember how expensive they get to be.

A lot of game companies have recognized this as one of the main causes of the CCG market drying up and have come up with what's being called living card games (LCG). Fantasy Flight Games is one of the biggest publishers of LCGs right now with 5 different properties in development (Star Wars being the newest one, due out in 2012). Some of the games even support decent solitaire play (Lord of the Rings and Star Wars) to allow you to tweak your decks without having to have another person to playtest with.

Here's Fantasy Flight's LCG game page:
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_colecciones.asp?eidc=3

I personally haven't played any yet but I'm almost definitely getting Star Wars and I'm still going back and forth about getting Lord of the Rings.

I played MTG for a couple years in the mid-90s. Nowadays it seems to have gotten ridiculously complicated and not-fun.

Despite my gripes about the games not letting you build your own decks and/or do sealed deck tournaments, I enjoy both the XBLA/PSN Magic games.

I played Magic for a while a couple years back after playing in the 90s. It's really fun when people are just tossing random decks together, however when everyone is trying to make tournament decks it started to feel rather repetitive and I stopped playing.

I've played a bit of Legend of the 5 rings more recently and found it to be a lot more interactive although it's much more difficult to learn and a lot less people play it.

I played a really cool Resident Evil card game. Took about a 1/2 hour to learn and can support about 8 players. All the cards are in the box and you can choose to buy expansion boxes. Its a lot of fun and theres no "collecting" aspect of the game.

What's great about MTG is Friday Night Magic. Makes it a lot more accesable to players to meet other players. I used to to go to FNM when I was in between jobs, but then I got a job where I work on Friday nights

Last edited by a moderator:
I run a Pokemon TCG league (You never grow out of it. At least half of our playerbase is college age or older.) I have the first Resident Evil deck building game, haven't played it yet so haven't grabbed any expansions. I used to play Magi-Nation and the WoW TCG, I gave up WoW because of how shitty UDE is as a company, they really dropped the ball at some tournaments I went to, to the point I wanted to tell off their employees and flip a table. Haven't tried it with Cryptozoic running things. I played Magic a bit when I was 12, lasted til I was 15 or so. People around here are too competitive with it, no way I would go back, that and I hate letting WotC have my money.

This will date me but i played MTG throughout high school between Third Edition and Ice Age. Tried to get back into it on two occasions but the hobby budget had shifted over to video games by then.

I also played Universal Fighting System because of the mix of CCG, Street Fighter and Soul Calibur. I'm pretty sure that I have those boxes around somewhere.

[quote name='Decepticreep']
What's great about MTG is Friday Night Magic. Makes it a lot more accesable to players to meet other players. I used to to go to FNM when I was in between jobs, but then I got a job where I work on Friday nights[/QUOTE]

Yeah it's also fun when FNM doesn't become before dawn Saturday magic.:lol:

I was a semi-pro player of the VS. System TCG so I know ALL about how shitty UDE is. I played a bit of Yugioh and Yu Yu Hakusho from 03-05 as well before I did nothing but VS.

I've played a bit of Magic now but don't have a current Type 2 deck as I usually work on Friday's so the only Magic I've played mainly is the 2 XBLA games.

[quote name='MSUHitman']I was a semi-pro player of the VS. System TCG so I know ALL about how shitty UDE is. I played a bit of Yugioh and Yu Yu Hakusho from 03-05 as well before I did nothing but VS.

I've played a bit of Magic now but don't have a current Type 2 deck as I usually work on Friday's so the only Magic I've played mainly is the 2 XBLA games.[/QUOTE]

I know Vs is dead, but I still kinda want to learn to play it. My daughters are into Superheros and I think we could have some fun with it. I played Magic for a bit, but I sunk WAY to much money into it, so I quit. I was never any good anyway. :) I do love the XBLA Magic games though. I know people complain about no customization, but it doesn't bother me.

Star trek, MTG, pokemon, yu-gi-oh, .hack, Wheel of Time, Babylon 5, and L5R come to mind. I really only play magic now though. Once I get first once or twice in a row in a local tournament, the game loses most of my interest. I am looking at you yu.

I play MTG with my friends. We don't have any rules that are like hey this card is illegal so basically we just come and play with whatever we got. I don't spend a lot on it. Pretty much go to one draft per set and buy a fat pack if I like it so about $50 or so a set and I am good.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I play MTG with my friends. We don't have any rules that are like hey this card is illegal so basically we just come and play with whatever we got. I don't spend a lot on it. Pretty much go to one draft per set and buy a fat pack if I like it so about $50 or so a set and I am good.[/QUOTE]

See, that's what I miss from playing CCGs. Not worrying too much about following tournament rules, not dropping a ton of cash on it, and just having fun playing it.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']See, that's what I miss from playing CCGs. Not worrying too much about following tournament rules, not dropping a ton of cash on it, and just having fun playing it.[/QUOTE]

If you can get 3 other people to split the cost of a booster box, it's fun to split the packs evenly and just play with the packs you get from the box.

[quote name='Mirage Master']Star trek, MTG, pokemon, yu-gi-oh, .hack, Wheel of Time, Babylon 5, and L5R come to mind. I really only play magic now though. Once I get first once or twice in a row in a local tournament, the game loses most of my interest. I am looking at you yu.[/QUOTE]

I've always wanted to learn Star Trek, but I could never wrap my head around the rules. I've gotten top 4 at FNM quite a few times. I always suggest people who don't have a lot of money build a Red Deck Wins deck. You can usually build one for about $40-$50 and they can be explosive at tournaments (they can also fizzle out if you dont win in the first 6 turns too).

Back in the day, Pokemon, Yugioh, MTG, and the uncommon game was Tomb Raider CCG. My Pokemon, Yugioh and MTG cards are probably somewhere in a shoebox in the garage, but my Tomb Raider cards are still in a binder haha.

[quote name='Decepticreep']If you can get 3 other people to split the cost of a booster box, it's fun to split the packs evenly and just play with the packs you get from the box.

I've always wanted to learn Star Trek, but I could never wrap my head around the rules. I've gotten top 4 at FNM quite a few times. I always suggest people who don't have a lot of money build a Red Deck Wins deck. You can usually build one for about $40-$50 and they can be explosive at tournaments (they can also fizzle out if you dont win in the first 6 turns too).[/QUOTE]

Star trek is easy once you get the hang of it (just like Magic). It plays more like a board game than a card game, the board being different planets you move between.

[quote name='Link927']Back in the day, Pokemon, Yugioh, MTG, and the uncommon game was Tomb Raider CCG. My Pokemon, Yugioh and MTG cards are probably somewhere in a shoebox in the garage, but my Tomb Raider cards are still in a binder haha.[/QUOTE]

I didn't even know Tomb Raider was a tcg. Is Lara on every card in different outfits? I am sorry I missed it ;)

[quote name='Mirage Master']Star trek is easy once you get the hang of it (just like Magic). It plays more like a board game than a card game, the board being different planets you move between.[/QUOTE]

Star Wars was like that where characters would move site to site to battle opponents. It took up a lot of room. But they were both made by the same card company.

[quote name='OnyxPrimal']I know Vs is dead, but I still kinda want to learn to play it. My daughters are into Superheros and I think we could have some fun with it. I played Magic for a bit, but I sunk WAY to much money into it, so I quit. I was never any good anyway. :) I do love the XBLA Magic games though. I know people complain about no customization, but it doesn't bother me.[/QUOTE]

If you have a DS or a PSP the Marvel Trading Card Game is essentially VS System, but it's only the first 4 Marvel sets on DS and 5 on PSP and the game really didn't hit its stride until the 5th Marvel set.

There is still a community on www.vssystem.org so they could teach you how to play or I could help.

[quote name='Mirage Master']
I didn't even know Tomb Raider was a tcg. Is Lara on every card in different outfits? I am sorry I missed it ;)[/QUOTE]

It was towards the PS1 days with the first 3 games. And although I never collected all the cards, I was super happy to get some of her rares, like the Wetsuit Lara :whistle2:\"

[quote name='Link927']It was towards the PS1 days with the first 3 games. And although I never collected all the cards, I was super happy to get some of her rares, like the Wetsuit Lara :whistle2:\"[/QUOTE]

Never heard of the game either. Pics?

Used to play...

- Pokemon (Top 100 in the World at one point, brother was Top 20)
- DBZ/GT (The 65th Best Player in the World)
- Yu-Gi-Oh (Local stuff mainly)
- Vs System (Wasn't really all that great in it)

[quote name='RedvsBlue']See, that's what I miss from playing CCGs. Not worrying too much about following tournament rules, not dropping a ton of cash on it, and just having fun playing it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. If your playing magic, you can 3 way a booster box for cheap if you have three friends. Comes out to like $33-35 a person. I know one of the biggest things I have with magic is I refuse to buy single cards and the minute I have to buy singles (especially rares) to make a deck (considering it's not some 25 cent uncommon I need an extra of), I am not doing it.

I've played Pokemon, Yugioh, DBZ, and Naruto. Mostly got into them because friends were playing them, and I rarely bought more than a starter deck and a few packs and managed to stay competitive with friends that bought a few booster boxes per expansion. I wouldn't really want to waste that much money to play anymore...

Used to play Magic and a little bit of Pokemon but I quit. Recently I've really hoped I could jump back into Magic but haven't had time. I tried the 2011 game but it was a little disappointing.

I first learned how to play MTG like 10 years ago and it was cool. Sold all my card for cash, but regret it now...

Now, I play YuGiOh! with my buddy for s**ts and giggles because I remember watching the TV show and it was a blast. We aren't hardcore, but have good times remember which card were used by certain characters in the show.

Also, the cheaper route is playing a DECK building game, such as: Resident Evil or Star Trek and Asscention (sp?). With these types you don't have to buy boosters, they include everything you need and release expansions every so often.

[quote name='KingBroly']Used to play...

- Pokemon (Top 100 in the World at one point, brother was Top 20)
- DBZ/GT (The 65th Best Player in the World)
- Yu-Gi-Oh (Local stuff mainly)
- Vs System (Wasn't really all that great in it)[/QUOTE]

Psh, I was number 1 in the world in all of those ;)

I used to play MTG. I collected Pokemon cards as a kid (1st gen and part of 2nd gen), but never actually got around to playing the game lol (tho I owned every single 1st gen card, including special editions lol).

Don't play any card games anymore. More into strategy board games, with Catan being my favorite competitive one and Pandemic my favorite coop one.

So I played my first game of Lord of the Rings Card Game today. It's a lot of fun to play. It strikes the perfect balance of being complex enough to be interesting but not too complex that you can't figure out how to play or be able to teach yourself.

I really enjoy it and I'm looking forward to picking up some more of the encounter packs to play more quests.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']So I played my first game of Lord of the Rings Card Game today. It's a lot of fun to play. It strikes the perfect balance of being complex enough to be interesting but not too complex that you can't figure out how to play or be able to teach yourself.

I really enjoy it and I'm looking forward to picking up some more of the encounter packs to play more quests.[/QUOTE]

is it a ccg or a deck building game? I can't tell...

I used to play Yu-Gi-Oh and Duel Masters (I also have cards for Inu-Yasha/Sailor Moon/Yu Yu Hakusho/Card Captor Sakura).

Recently, I've got into Naruto. But I realized that nobody really plays it, so I'm kind of sad. It seems fun, but I don't see any big online communities around it, and there are only like a few spots in each state where they have tournies... Target doesn't seem to carry the game anymore and neither does Toys 'R Us, so I think I just got into a dying game. >_

[quote name='binici']
Also, the cheaper route is playing a DECK building game, such as: Resident Evil or Star Trek and Asscention (sp?). With these types you don't have to buy boosters, they include everything you need and release expansions every so often.[/QUOTE]

I dunno... I read the description for star trek and it seemed like It was a DD type game, just with cards. Half of the fun is reducing your opponent to a whimpering mess. I don't want to "cooperate" for the greater good. I don't even like team play in mtg. I am ruthless in card games and that version of star trek isn't up my alley. If all deck building games are like it, I think I will pass on them as a whole. I am in the process of selling most of my magic cards so I will find a new tcg soon...maybe WOW.

[quote name='Decepticreep']is it a ccg or a deck building game? I can't tell...[/QUOTE]

Its primarily a deck building game but they've already released 3-4 expansions for it. No collectible element involved because they're all fixed distribution.

[quote name='Mirage Master']I dunno... I read the description for star trek and it seemed like It was a DD type game, just with cards. Half of the fun is reducing your opponent to a whimpering mess. I don't want to "cooperate" for the greater good. I don't even like team play in mtg. I am ruthless in card games and that version of star trek isn't up my alley. If all deck building games are like it, I think I will pass on them as a whole. I am in the process of selling most of my magic cards so I will find a new tcg soon...maybe WOW.[/QUOTE]

That's the thing with most of the deck building/LCGs, the majority of them are co-op focused. Personally, I enjoy it but if you're only into card games for their competitive nature there's not much to pull you in.

[quote name='Mirage Master']I dunno... I read the description for star trek and it seemed like It was a DD type game, just with cards. Half of the fun is reducing your opponent to a whimpering mess. I don't want to "cooperate" for the greater good. I don't even like team play in mtg. I am ruthless in card games and that version of star trek isn't up my alley. If all deck building games are like it, I think I will pass on them as a whole. I am in the process of selling most of my magic cards so I will find a new tcg soon...maybe WOW.[/QUOTE]

I don't know. EDH is one of my favorite formats in MTG. While its not a co-op format, per se, it is very political, which makes it very fun. (and funny sometimes).

I played the RE deck buolding game, it is also very political and not "co-op" so much. Burning someone in the end is too much fun.

[quote name='Dr. Venkman']Even though it's a mostly dead game, I still play WWE (WWF) Raw Deal.[/QUOTE]

I used to play Raw Deal a lot back in the day (was actually a judge for quite a while). I also played Magic, Legend of the Five Rings, DBZ, Yu-Gi-Oh, and a little bit of just about everything else. I still have a bunch of cards, but unfortunately they're collecting dust, since there aren't many people around that play anything other than Magic. I have to admit, I kinda miss it.

bread's done
Back