What do I do about the mess of wires behind my TV?

DomLando

CAGiversary!
Feedback
22 (100%)
Just looking for some opinions on what to do with the mess of wires behind my TV. Now that I have all 3 next gen consoles, I have a bunch of things hooked up and wires are everywhere. What's the best way to make it look as neat as possible and make sure it's accessible if I want to move anything. Any opinions or sharing how you keep your wires will help. Thanks.

They're great. Got the wife off my back about the wires hanging down from my LCD.

Each package has 6 feet, you can cut to size, then melt the end with a cigarette lighter so it doesn't unfurl. It expands A LOT to hold tons of wires, velcros shut, then just looks like one fat wire.

[quote name='chakan']They're great. Got the wife off my back about the wires hanging down from my LCD.

Each package has 6 feet, you can cut to size, then melt the end with a cigarette lighter so it doesn't unfurl. It expands A LOT to hold tons of wires, velcros shut, then just looks like one fat wire.[/QUOTE]
Ok I will let you know. Best option I heard so far.

[quote name='DomLando']That looks like an option. They work well?[/QUOTE]

If you have a Home Depot near you you can find cheap ones in the Electrical Dept. ... if I remember right they were either $4 or less for 6' but can't really say for sure. I just remember the were the cheapest I'd ever seen them. Usually they're like $6 - $10.

edit: The ones at Home Depot are split loom, plastic with a cut down the center you slide the wires in.

They also make these plastic covers that slide over wires, just flat plastic that you could probably paint to match the color of your wall. Don't know if they make them big enough to hold all your wiring though, you'd have to check out Lowe's/Home Depot/etc for what they carry. Want a cheap alternative? Velcro. You can tie cables with velcro and a strip of a few feet will run you $1 at Walmart. Something similar would cost you $10 at an A/V store because they "color code" it.

Me? I just stuck a beanbag chair in front of it lol......

wiremanagement.jpg

cant seem to find my before picture, but yeah picture a clump of wires down there.

I have the same problem. I put all of my wires together as neat as I could and wraped black electrical tape around them every couple feet. It dosent look that bad as long as you do a neat job, and you can easily cut off and replace the tape when you need to get at the wires. I guess it all realy depends on what your setup is and how much you can see.

If you have an Ikea near you they sell grey plastic tubing with zip ties for cable organization. It's wicked cheap...around $4.00 for 16 feet of it, and it works reasonably well. Everything behind my TV stand is wrapped in this stuff.

Here it is on their website.

[quote name='Zoglog']Me? I just stuck a beanbag chair in front of it lol......

wiremanagement.jpg

cant seem to find my before picture, but yeah picture a clump of wires down there.[/quote]

damn zoglog, you are a Rich Ass Gamer haha

yea, i have that problem too, but i only just worry about them when i have to unplug them by just tracing them to the socket

Velcro wraps work great for me. I bought one of these and had plenty left after wrapping all the cables for my PCs and home entertainment stuff. It's durable and fairly cheap and you can cut it to whatever length you need. Good solution (at least for me!).

[quote name='VAD3R or Fro']Twist ties really help. Here is a 25 pack of 3 sizes for 7 bucks.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103326&cp=2032058.2032237.2032318&parentPage=family

I can post pics of my setup if you need any tips on how to keep cords short.[/QUOTE]

The problem with wrapping cables like that is they can create a ground loop circuit, and even cause static in your other device. A cable wrapped up like those just attracts noise, and interference. It acts like an antenna for it.

[quote name='Graystone']The problem with wrapping cables like that is they can create a ground loop circuit, and even cause static in your other device. A cable wrapped up like those just attracts noise, and interference. It acts like an antenna for it.[/quote]

I haven't noticed any noise in my signals, show me proof nerd!

[quote name='gamereviewgod']Unless you have a LCD hanging from the wall and cords hanging down, I don't see much of a problem. Do you regularly go back there and look? Three systems is nothing:

http://videogamecollectors.com/gallery/Gaming-Nirvana/after[/QUOTE]
Well I have 3 systems hooked up, my receiver, HD DVD player, and satellite receiver. It's not that I regularly go behind the TV but it is a mess and I just wanted to straighten it out a little in case I need to unhook something to make it easier. And you can see the back of the TV a little so I don't want it looking like a total disaster.

[quote name='yukine']I haven't noticed any noise in my signals, show me proof nerd![/QUOTE]

He's right, it's not serious but i made the mistake of tying up my monitor cables with my speaker cables for my computer and I can hear it when i move a window around on my desktop.

[quote name='Brak'][/QUOTE]

fucking A!!! Is it CAturDay already?!

On topic:

Use twist ties from your bread bags if you are truly a CAG!!!

[quote name='the3rdkey']fucking A!!! Is it CAturDay already?!

On topic:

Use twist ties from your bread bags if you are truly a CAG!!![/QUOTE]

Does being a CAG require us to live like we're homeless?

[quote name='Chacrana']Does being a CAG require us to live like we're homeless?[/QUOTE]

"I just bought $100 worth of bread."

Why?

"So I can have the little ties to wrap up my wires."

bread's done
Back