What do you collect?

steve_k

CAGiversary!
Other than video games, what do you collect, and why? How do you go about collecting and factors help determine the items you chose to add to your collection? How much of your disposable income do you allow yourself to spend on your hobby? What infomation would you like to share with non-collectors? Common collectiblles include:

Rare video games
Postage Stamps
Sports Cards
Sports Memerbilia
Comic Book Cards
Comic Books
Historic Literature
Autographs
Coins
Vintage Toys
Action Figures
Guns
Civill War artifacts
Indian Arrowheads
Beanie Babies
Happy Meal Toys
and the list goes on...

Not really anything. I have a decent amount of movies and cds, but that's because I enjoy watching/listening to them. I don't really label it collecting as I don't buy collector's editions, or go for rare items etc.

I've never really had the collector's mentality. I move a good bit so having a bunch of stuff is a big burden so I try to only buy things I really want to have to use and enjoy rather than to simply collect. Even with movies and CDs I've cut buying way back as I've gotten busier and rely more on Netflix etc.

I'm trying to get out of collecting but I still collect comic books and those tiny Marvel statues from Marvel Magazine.

As a kid I collected everything from toys, comic cards, video games, anime, etc. But I see what a giant waste it all is. I'm going with the philosophy less is more.

Anime DVDs (and VHS, if there's no DVD), manga, videogames (of course), US coins, Pinky Street dolls, and Woodstock merch...although I don't buy any of that. My fiance's fmaily has been loading me down with Woodstocks since we went to Knotts Berry Farm in 2006.

I used to collect seashells as a kid, but we moved, so no more good beaches for shell grabbin'. :cry:

[quote name='DuelLadyS']Anime DVDs (and VHS, if there's no DVD), manga, videogames (of course), US coins, Pinky Street dolls, and Woodstock merch...although I don't buy any of that. My fiance's fmaily has been loading me down with Woodstocks since we went to Knotts Berry Farm in 2006.

I used to collect seashells as a kid, but we moved, so no more good beaches for shell grabbin'. :cry:[/QUOTE]

What's your strategy on US coins? Is it something you take seriously (serious = paying $100 or more for a single coin)

I also do US Coins. I'm going for one of each, also known as a type set. I'm looking for one representative example of every major design and denomination. Taking the nickel for example, I'll have a modern Jefferson nickel, a buffalo nickel, a 'V' nickel, and a shiled nickel. The same stategy is adopted for every denomination until the collection showcases a complete run.

[quote name='DuelLadyS']Anime DVDs (and VHS, if there's no DVD), manga, videogames (of course), US coins, Pinky Street dolls, and Woodstock merch...although I don't buy any of that. My fiance's fmaily has been loading me down with Woodstocks since we went to Knotts Berry Farm in 2006.

I used to collect seashells as a kid, but we moved, so no more good beaches for shell grabbin'. :cry:[/QUOTE]

What's your strategy on US coins? Is it something you take seriously (serious = paying $100 or more for a single coin)

I also do US Coins. I'm going for one of each, also known as a type set. I'm looking for one representative example of every major design and denomination. Taking the nickel for example, I'll have a modern Jefferson nickel, a buffalo nickel, a 'V' nickel, and a shiled nickel. The same stategy is adopted for every denomination until the collection showcases a complete run.

Double post!

I used to collect comics, sports cards, and comic book trading cards. For a little while I was into Magic. As of now nothing really.

[quote name='cdubb1605']DVDs
Comics
Videogames
and most importantly Mighty Muggs[/QUOTE]

Damn I love your freaking signature it is making me trip balls for some reason ?...??

When I was younger I collected comics, but when Marvel started releasing 14 gatefold holografx limited edition premium print glossy stock crossover comics at $7.99 each month during the late 90s, I realized I was spending more on those than I would be supporting a crack addition, and quit.

I have some random toys, though mostly Transformers from about 5 or 6 years back and prior... and cartoons on DVD that I collect, outside of games, but that is about it. Oh, and those Bicentennial US Quarters.

Nothing really but I have some cool signed items I have amassed over the past couple of years (including a signed copy of Titanic, by James Cameron, on DVD he signed to Ron & Fez)

Dead bodies

I used to collect baseball player autographs as well as just cards but I kinda got out of that a while ago. It's just too expensive and time consuming. Every now and then I'll buy a box of cards for fun, too bad all the good ones are now $100+.

I used to collect baseball cards and coins, but don't really collect anything anymore. Haven't for some time now.

[quote name='steve_k']What's your strategy on US coins? Is it something you take seriously (serious = paying $100 or more for a single coin)

I also do US Coins. I'm going for one of each, also known as a type set. I'm looking for one representative example of every major design and denomination. Taking the nickel for example, I'll have a modern Jefferson nickel, a buffalo nickel, a 'V' nickel, and a shiled nickel. The same stategy is adopted for every denomination until the collection showcases a complete run.[/QUOTE]

Slowly increasing seriousness... up until recently, I only paid face value for coins, but I've started picking up some at shops or online, with the amount I'm willing to pay slowly increasing. I think so far my most expensive coin was $30... I'm sure that'll go a bit higher, but I don't think I'll get serious enough pay $100 a coin.

Like most coin collectors, I'm getting one of each of all the new series- US states, and National Parks and Presidents and such. I have a birth year set, bicentials, and I'm considering a century set (coins made 1 century before my birth year.)

Rather than finish a type set, I'm going for denominations- I'd like to own 1 coin from every value level ever made in the US... I still need a half-cent and a 2 cent coin (but got my 3-cent one :D). I may do a type set once I have the values covered.

For me, the most important thing is, the coins must be a business strike- I know the offical collector's sets are worth more, but I enjoy the idea that my stuff's been kicking around the pockets of Americans for a few years before I got ahold of it. Which is why my favorite coins are the ones I get out of the cash till at work... like the time I got a super beat-up penny that felt 'funny'. When I got a chance to get a good look at it, I found it was a 1893 indian head penny. The condition's pretty bad, so it's not really worth anything- but it's not everyday someone buys crap with 118 year old change. (That, and if someone was willing to give me 2 cents for it, I'd double my money. :lol:)

In the early 2000s, I collected games, specifically Dreamcast games, but now I don't go out of my way to collect games anymore.

I buy games I like and play them. Although I don't sell them when I'm done with them like I used to.

Does that mean I collect them?

[quote name='Rodimus']Yeah, I used to collect those Mighty Muggs. Now I'm looking to get rid of them.[/QUOTE]

ahhh
then we have some bartering to do lol

mighty muggs and playing cards (poker)

Assorted action figures (last one I got was a Brock Samson)
Comic books
DVD's/Blu's
Video games (mostly of just ones on systems I own in false belief I'll play them all)
T-shirts and hoodies (accidentally from just going to abunch of concerts)
Might as well say fake instruments as well, because I have a total of 15 or 16 Rock Band/Guitar Hero guitars.

Used to collect manga, but the fanbase and anime con's kinda turned me off from it.

Anything related to Sonic the Hedgehog
Video games
Figures/Statues/etc related to video games (specifically Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Bioshock)
Lord of the Rings stuff
I used to collect Star Wars, but now I only buy an item if I find it really cheap.

Guns
Anime figures that I think look cool
Any item/ figure of Transformer Jetfire/Skyfire
MLB player autographs (especially of my beloved St. Louis Cardinals)
and if I had more money, Pinball Machines

watch

[quote name='CrippledChrist']Coins and Disney cels. Really anything Disney.[/QUOTE]

That reminds me of Disney Dollars, the currency of Disney Land. They are becoming collectible and have reached a larger audience than you would probably suspect. I'm starting to see display cases of Disney Dollars at the larger coin shows.

I use to collect baseballand football cards..early 2002 or so I got hooked on non sport cards. There was too much stuff I wanted and needed to focus my collecting so when Heroes got their own card sets, I focused on collecting Hiro sketch cards. When they did the 2 sets and quit, Hiro sketch cards started drying up so I would hit up artists to draw Hiro for me.

Hiro Collection-
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=307829&id=692969993

With Hiro drying up and needing something to do to kill time in between Hiro's, I focused on TNA's ODB. I got a thing for chicks with tats and big tit-tays.

ODB Collection-
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=199293&id=692969993

When Im bored with that, Ill pick up the random sketch art or autographs and when a friend is at a show with people signing autographs I want, theyll hook it up from time to time-

Misc Collection-
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=135993&id=692969993

Ah, I'm a bit of a varied collector of sorts...

I used to collect baseball cards but I got out of that a few years back... I still have my collection but it's way too easy to spend way more on that than what they're worth, (good)autographed/numbered/memorabilia cards can get pretty rare depending on the boxes and packs you buy.

At the moment most of my collecting money goes towards anything BioShock(I own the whole line done by NECA) and various other game figures(Resistance, R&C, Assassin's Creed and MGS to name a few of my other favorites.

I also collect:

TMNT Figures, Comics and artwork. I actually have an original piece that I commissioned one of the main artists to draw for me(it's my avatar) and can also be seen here
TNBC stuff
SteelBooks
Band Merch
CD's
Blu-ray's
Video Game Collector's Editions
Video Game Guides

As far as how much disposable income I allow for my hobbying I'd say about 1/2. I'm unmarried at the moment, so that's why that number is so high... There are plans for my marriage status to change within the next year or so, so I'm sure that amount will drop significantly once that time actually comes. :)

[quote name='steve_k']That reminds me of Disney Dollars, the currency of Disney Land. They are becoming collectible and have reached a larger audience than you would probably suspect. I'm starting to see display cases of Disney Dollars at the larger coin shows.[/QUOTE]

Huh, I'll have to see if I can dig out our old stockpile of them from when I was younger...

I still collect sports cards, from the looks of things a lot of people in this topic used to collect trading cards but have given it up. There is no doubt it is an expensive hobby, I think I spend more money nowadays on trading cards than I do on videogames. It's still a ton of fun to do though, each time you open a pack or a box of cards its like a mini lottery haha. And when you actually pull something awesome it's a great feeling.

Mother series merchandise

For a while there I was pretty out of control with it; I would snatch up anything even slightly rare. However I have cut down quite a bit and am doubtful I will hold onto anything beyond the flyers and posters past this year; I will hold those items permanently however. Even the new figures, while awesome, are just a bit too much.

[quote name='cochesecochese']Mother series merchandise

For a while there I was pretty out of control with it; I would snatch up anything even slightly rare. However I have cut down quite a bit and am doubtful I will hold onto anything beyond the flyers and posters past this year; I will hold those items permanently however. Even the new figures, while awesome, are just a bit too much.[/QUOTE]

What is 'Mother series merchandise'? Are these action figures?

I've noticed quite a few people here collect action figures. Are most of these collectors guys between the ages of 14 and 18, or are these forums populated with a bunch of people who resemble the Comic Book Guy from 'The Simpsons'. There's nothing wrong with being 16 years old and collecting action figures, but I admit it is a bit odd for someone 30 years or older.

[quote name='cgarb84']I still collect sports cards, from the looks of things a lot of people in this topic used to collect trading cards but have given it up. There is no doubt it is an expensive hobby, I think I spend more money nowadays on trading cards than I do on videogames. It's still a ton of fun to do though, each time you open a pack or a box of cards its like a mini lottery haha. And when you actually pull something awesome it's a great feeling.[/QUOTE]

If you think sports cards are expensive, try coin collecting. Certain coins can go for tens of thousands of dollars, if not more. I've been going to coin shows for a while, and regardless of how much is in my budget, there is always something I cannot afford. Examples include:

Proof $3 gold piece: $45,000
Proof $4 Stella gold piece: $200,000
1796 uncirculated quarter: $150,000
$50 Panama Pacific Commemertive: $225,000
1794 silver dollar: $100,000
1913 V Nickel: $3 million
1933 double eagle: $8 million
Unique 1849 double eagele: not for sale (priceless)

The list of what I've seen could go on for pages. Often times at coin shows, I will ask to see a nice looking coin under the impression it may be only a couple of hundred dollars only to realize it is a rare variety or key date worth thousands. There are only a handful of sports cards I am aware of that are worth over $10,000. I admit I don't know anything about action figures. The list of $10,000+ coins is a long one.

I am not claiming to be a buyer of expensive, high-dollar coins. Coins sell across all price ranges. These are just a few I've seen that were way over my budget.

I don't collect anymore. As a kid I remember collecting POGS, hockey cards, Pokemon cards (oddly enough I didn't care about catching them all in the games where I stuck to having a small strong team), US quarters when they were doing the state thing (stopped in 2004 or something).

So that leaves me with my naturally growing videogame and CD collection. Those are obtained with the intention of being used and not just "show off" pieces.

[quote name='steve_k']What is 'Mother series merchandise'? Are these action figures?

I've noticed quite a few people here collect action figures. Are most of these collectors guys between the ages of 14 and 18, or are these forums populated with a bunch of people who resemble the Comic Book Guy from 'The Simpsons'. There's nothing wrong with being 16 years old and collecting action figures, but I admit it is a bit odd for someone 30 years or older.[/QUOTE]

The Mother series is a videogame franchise from Nintendo. I believe that the second iteration was released in the States as Earthbound. 1 and 3 have not been released here so it's gained some strong cult status. I also assume the only way most have played the others is through illegal emulation (not that I blame them as Nintendo pretty much wants them to do so)

[quote name='steve_k']What is 'Mother series merchandise'? Are these action figures?

I've noticed quite a few people here collect action figures. Are most of these collectors guys between the ages of 14 and 18, or are these forums populated with a bunch of people who resemble the Comic Book Guy from 'The Simpsons'. There's nothing wrong with being 16 years old and collecting action figures, but I admit it is a bit odd for someone 30 years or older.[/QUOTE]

no worse than grown men watching sports in their living room covered in sports clothing, with a room full of their favorite teams merchandise

i collect comic books, video games, anime, certain action figures, tv shows, and anything green lantern

[quote name='wesdw369']no worse than grown men watching sports in their living room covered in sports clothing, with a room full of their favorite teams merchandise

i collect comic books, video games, anime, certain action figures, tv shows, and anything green lantern[/QUOTE]

I haven't met enough action figure collectors to accurately identify them. I've only known one, and he was the last thing from a career-minded, mature adult. The only other person that comes to mind when I think of action figure collecting is the Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons. It's too bad this is just an online forum. If we could actually all meet in person and get to know each other, I'm sure we would all be more willing to widen our perspectives. Unfortunately, this is just an online forum, not a college dormitory.

I mean no offense in being able to 'identify' action figure and comic book collectors. The truth is that collectors of similar items often share other characteristics.

51% of the time, the following statements are true:

1. coin collectors are either adolescent boys or old men, but are almost always male
2. stamp collectors are either adolescent boys or old me, but almost always male
3. video game collectors are almost always males under the age of 40
4. Scrap book artists are almost always female
5. Sports collectors are almost always male
6. Pokemon collectors are almost always under the age of 17

None of these statements are meant to be derragatory, but they are true 51% of the time. I can vouch for #1. I'm a member of a coin club, and 90% of the members are men aged 50 or older. Even though I don't fit in, I still allow myself to enjoy the hobby.

Through the 18 years I have been alive I have collected many things:
-Pokemon cards (nearly caught them all)
-Yugioh cards (huge collection)
-Mage Knights(all of the best plus some)
-Sports cards/memorbilia(1000's of cards and alot of autographs including a Jerry Rice Steve Young autographed football and a Devin Hester autographed helmet)
-Coins/paper money (Morgan silver dollars, Susan B. Anthony's, $2 bills, etc.)
-VIDEO GAMES (over 250 Xbox 360 games and counting...)

bread's done
Back