What do you collect?

i was just pointing out one extreme against another, i have friends who collect all sorts of things, everyone has interests. most people i know who collect stuff are middle class or lower, from what ive seen most people who buy and sell are upper class. also most people i know who take time to have a hobby are usually inshape and fairly normal people, its always that on know it all who is the out of shape jerk no matter what his hobby is.

Trading Cards - have a bunch of old Japanese Pokemon cards and some Yugioh cards. Mostly collect them for the art. Never played it. Still trying to find missing cards from the Gym Series.

Video games - don't really have a method. Just collect games I like.

Figures - Japanese anime figures and action figures.

Model kits - Mostly mechas such as Gundams and Armored Core.

Artbooks - Mostly from Japan. I plan on getting some from local comic artists but they are pretty rare.

Coins - I have a tiny collection. My crowning achievement is having collected the the 50 State coins through the course of 11 years just by buying and getting change.

[quote name='steve_k']I haven't met enough action figure collectors to accurately identify them. I've only known one, and he was the last thing from a career-minded, mature adult. The only other person that comes to mind when I think of action figure collecting is the Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons. It's too bad this is just an online forum. If we could actually all meet in person and get to know each other, I'm sure we would all be more willing to widen our perspectives. Unfortunately, this is just an online forum, not a college dormitory.

I mean no offense in being able to 'identify' action figure and comic book collectors. The truth is that collectors of similar items often share other characteristics.

51% of the time, the following statements are true:

1. coin collectors are either adolescent boys or old men, but are almost always male
2. stamp collectors are either adolescent boys or old me, but almost always male
3. video game collectors are almost always males under the age of 40
4. Scrap book artists are almost always female
5. Sports collectors are almost always male
6. Pokemon collectors are almost always under the age of 17

None of these statements are meant to be derragatory, but they are true 51% of the time. I can vouch for #1. I'm a member of a coin club, and 90% of the members are men aged 50 or older. Even though I don't fit in, I still allow myself to enjoy the hobby.[/QUOTE]

It's actually a bit unfair to call them action figures(though technically, that is what they are) but the ones I collect are more high-end collectibles. I don't have a shelf full of $10 batman and Ben 10 figures, the cheapest ones I have were $20 and the most expensive almost cost $150. I do have some that are representative of toy lines that I was into when I was a kid(for nostalgia's sake), but most are from video games and other things that I enjoy.

While your list remains mostly true to the stereotypes that they represent, there will always be exceptions to any stereotype that you can imagine. Yes, I collect action figures and comics. I also consider myself a hardcore gamer that can sink 100 hours into an RPG, and I read fantasy/sci-fi books everyday. But I also played Basketball and Baseball in highschool, still watch the pro versions of each of those sports regularly, attend concerts and spend more time outside of my room than I do in it. I even play the normal FPS type games and I even have a fiance. I'm 22 years old and I just collect/do what I enjoy.

Not lashing out on you by any means, I know you weren't being hostile in any way. Just wanted to share a bit so that other people can know that there are actual "normal" people that collect this stuff. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
DVDs, CDs, Video Games, Blus (Not for value, but entertainment)

For value:
sports Cards
Coins
not much else except random stuff here and there

i actually have a lot of junk. i collect dvd series, cd's and games still. i have a bunch of crap from like 10 years ago when i collected comics and sports cards one day im going to sell them seeing that there just sitting in boxes in my closet. i have a bunch of work out equipment to because every once in a while i pretend im getting in shape. i have a nice little book collection happening now to. i found the older i get the less clutter i want. im always tossing stuff.

[quote name='gbpackers94']I used to collect baseball cards. Now I'm going to hold onto them for 40 years then sell them for profit :)[/QUOTE]

There are two classes of sports cards; vintage and modern. Vintage cards are defined as cards produced before they were popular to collect. Their primary purpose was to help sell bubble gum. Modern cards were produced for the purpose of being collected.

If you are investing in cards for proft, stick to the vintage series. Stick with 86-87 Fleer Basketball and pre-1975 Topps and Bowman Baseball. Because of the laws of supply and demand, classic cards will retain their value while modern cards are likely to be forgotten about and will loose value or are simply too easy to come by.

Just in case you're wondering, today's modern cards will NEVER be considered vintage in the future. There are simply too many produced today. There are too many insert series to keep track of and too many manufacturers. I saw what happened in the early 90's and now understand why sports cards of the mid-90's are not worth anything.

Buy CERTIFIED vintage cards, and do your research on who is certifying the card. Buy something that both yourself and other people have an appreciation for. If no one else can appreciate it, you will not be able to find a buyer.

[quote name='jaydepps']DVDs, CDs, Video Games, Blus (Not for value, but entertainment)

For value:
sports Cards
Coins
not much else except random stuff here and there[/QUOTE]

What is your strategy on coins and sports cards? Is it something you put careful consideration into, or you just buy on a whim based on what appeals to you? Are you a buyer of high-end coins? I define these as mint-state or proof 19th century, key dates, pre-1933 gold, and key series such as the three dollar gold, twenty cent pieces, the trade dollar, and seated liberty dollar.

I understand I could ask these questions on the PCGS coin collecting forum, but I want to ask here to try to gauge how many casual collectors there are. Casual collectors usually do not post on the PCGS forum. A high number of casual collectors indicates there is a strong future in the hobby. Most coin collectors today are old men who started when they were young. Many lost interest while developing a career and family and regained the hobby in retirement. It would be nice to know if history is likely to repeat itself. So far, this thread indicates it will. I've noticed there are quite a few coin collectors here.

I collect video games and game worn hockey jerseys.

Quite a broad spectrum of price ranges there, though they've taken a hit with the economy the way it is. You can get a nobody for around $100, a low end NHL player for $200-$300 and up, star players in the thousands, all the way up to 6 figures for the rarest and most sought after. I collect up and coming players who might be worth more down the road, goons, and role players who I like.

Its gotten a little like baseball cards now, a player can wear 8 to 10 jerseys in one season where they used to wear one home and one away through multiple seasons, they'd even recycle them if somebody got traded. I try to to get jerseys that are more notable than others, either their first jersey or one that they wore when they reached a major milestone or did something noteworthy.

Sometimes a coin will catch my eye, I picked up an Eisenhower Dollar recently because of the Apollo 11 insignia on the back, but I'm not all that into it.

[quote name='steve_k']What is 'Mother series merchandise'? Are these action figures?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Nifty_Shark']The Mother series is a videogame franchise from Nintendo. I believe that the second iteration was released in the States as Earthbound. 1 and 3 have not been released here so it's gained some strong cult status. I also assume the only way most have played the others is through illegal emulation (not that I blame them as Nintendo pretty much wants them to do so)[/QUOTE]

Aye. In addition to the games themselves there have been strategy guides, promo posters, flyers, plushies, figurines, and promo signage used in the arcade machines that dispense the figures. There were a lot of awesome items made for the Mother 2 launch like staff only t-shirts, staff only polos, autographs from Itoi, the infamous Dragon 'Sukajan' Jackets, and some zippos. There were also a bunch of autographed copies of Mother 1+2 given out at the launch event, custom Mr.Saturn statues, Itoi's autograph, etc.

I pretty much collect stuff to display on a wall but steer away from the toys. It's been a fun little hobby but I get frustrated often with the absolutely fanatical fanbase scratching and clawing over what little merch there is. I would collect Katamari stuff but there's, like, less than 15 collectible things there...

Last edited by a moderator:
Games, to some extent or another. I've got various international coins and bills lying around somewhere. But as a kid I collected floating pens from anywhere I could get them. Mostly I would find them on vacations, or my dad got a lot when he traveled for business.

[quote name='steve_k']I understand I could ask these questions on the PCGS coin collecting forum, but I want to ask here to try to gauge how many casual collectors there are. Casual collectors usually do not post on the PCGS forum. A high number of casual collectors indicates there is a strong future in the hobby. Most coin collectors today are old men who started when they were young. Many lost interest while developing a career and family and regained the hobby in retirement. It would be nice to know if history is likely to repeat itself. So far, this thread indicates it will. I've noticed there are quite a few coin collectors here.[/QUOTE]

I don't know how far you're willing to go on this, but you might try asking cashiers and bank tellers about interest in specific coins... it's a great way to see how many people are really looking at their change.

By my cashiering experience, it's not so good... most of the people I get who stop and look at their quarters, or ask if I have a specific one, are 40+. These people are often collecting for their kids/grandkids, but somehow I don't think they care much- especially since I see proof coins in my drawer every so often (the mirror finish really stands out if you're paying attention.) I'm still getting people here and there who don't realize the penny changed design and wonder what's up with that shield. (They also weren't aware of the lincoln memorial series when I explained.) To top it off, the last time I was at the bank, I asked if they had the Grand Canyon/Mount Hood quarters- I fell a bit behind- they had no idea what I was talking about, so it must not come up often.

To be fair, I work in a crafts store, so our customer base is older anyway. I think part of the problem is over-saturation of different coin designs paired with lack of advertising. The State Quarters went well becuase it was new and people were aware of it. But then the Lewis and Clark nickels, the lincoln bicentennial pennies, and the quarters continuing to change with the territory and national park sets- none of which really got any press, so nobody knew about them. I didn't even know about the Native American dollar series until I stumbled across it online looking up what presidental dollar was next.

I'm not really sure what's nessecary to improve coin collecting's prospects... but I think the bad economy might actually help. I know more people are paying cash at work lately to avoid more credit debt. More cash moving means more people actually looking at their coins, and possibly realizing that, y'know, they're kinda neat.

[quote name='tcrash247']Dead bodies[/QUOTE]

[quote name='cindersphere']I collect money.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='manthing']Felony Charges[/QUOTE]

[quote name='advanced']Venereal Diseases[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Davestation']Ex-Girlfriends diaphragm, though I only have two of them all the girls say I am too creepy to date for some reason.....[/QUOTE]

[quote name='silentevil']Welfare[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Blade']Broken hymens.[/QUOTE]

I collect snarky posts. :D

[quote name='steve_k']I saw what happened in the early 90's and now understand why sports cards of the mid-90's are not worth anything.[/QUOTE]

So true. I offered my 25,000+ card collection to a coworker for free if he was willing to carry it out my attic and he said no.

I used to work at a sports card shop in the early 90s and would blow my whole paycheck on cards. I never did it as an investment (though I did get duped by Beckett into thinking I had something valuable), but did it to feed my "gotta complete the set" addictive personality. Anyone want a Kevin Maas rookie card? I heard he's the next big thing.

I collect currency. Nothing worth a great deal, but I do it more to preserve the old stuff I find along the way, and interesting. I lucked out working in a bank with a teller drawer where I would keep interesting things and swap them at the end of the day for my own money (with management's supervision ;) ). I have picked up a decent number of commemorative dollars and half dollars that people break apart from a silver set to trade them into the bank at face value. It works for me since there's nowhere else I can get those sets for under $30-40 a coin. I keep anything silver, a few flaws like a half-roll of pennies that were all unstamped... not worth anything, but unique outside of tours of the mint. I like paper money too. I preserve everything inside a plastic coin pocket & bill pocket, but don't go through the trouble of sealing them.

I would love to get it appraised, same with an old stamp collection I inherited, but I am not sure which avenue to go through to get an accurate number instead of a low-ball price for a dealer or collector to attempt to purchase it from me. "I'd say this is worth around $500, but I'd be willing to give you $750" and meanwhile it's worth $1500 or something. Face value of coin and currency is probably in the neighborhood of 400-500 now because I recently added a 1920's $100 bill. Again, the beauty is that I have never spent over face value. I've too been keeping new coins to complete collections and like having them out of the rolls instead of the perfect strikes out of the mint. I have little interest in future value and this is more for my own enjoyment.

[quote name='DuelLadyS']
To be fair, I work in a crafts store, so our customer base is older anyway. I think part of the problem is over-saturation of different coin designs paired with lack of advertising. The State Quarters went well becuase it was new and people were aware of it. But then the Lewis and Clark nickels, the lincoln bicentennial pennies, and the quarters continuing to change with the territory and national park sets- none of which really got any press, so nobody knew about them. I didn't even know about the Native American dollar series until I stumbled across it online looking up what presidental dollar was next.

[/QUOTE]

I agree there has been an over-saturation of coins over the past ten years with all the new designs. I don't even collect the modern stuff, and when I do, I get it at face value. I have no reason to believe the statehood quarters, territorial quarters, Sacagewea dollars, Presidential dollars, or anything else (other than gold and silver bullion or course) will ever rise in value. Most of the items in my collection are from the early 1900's or 1800's. The US coins in my collection which I value range in date from 1787 to about 1930. Anything else is considered modern. I believe these will always have collector demand.

The same can be said about sports cards. How many people today can keep track of and have the desire to collect all of the thousands of insert series of the mid-1990's? I don't think anyone today is willing to pay a strong premium for any of those inserts. There were simply too many of them. On the other hand, how many people today are willing to pay strong money for a 1968 Topps Nolan Ryan rookie? Back in those days, people didn't collect cards like they did starting around the 1980's. Back then, kids would play with them and put then in their bicycle tire spokes. Not many remain today, and it's the only card that marks the beginning of Nolan Ryan's career. People are willing to pay for one, especially in nice condition.

I would advise any collector to first ask why their collectibles are valuable and apply the laws of supply and demand. Typically, modern collectibles have too high of a supply and too low of a demand to justify becoming collectible. There are, or couse, exceptions, but they are rare.

This can be appplied to just about anything, not just coins or cards.

[quote name='salty tbone']I collect snarky posts. :D

So true. I offered my 25,000+ card collection to a coworker for free if he was willing to carry it out my attic and he said no.

I used to work at a sports card shop in the early 90s and would blow my whole paycheck on cards. I never did it as an investment (though I did get duped by Beckett into thinking I had something valuable), but did it to feed my "gotta complete the set" addictive personality. Anyone want a Kevin Maas rookie card? I heard he's the next big thing.[/QUOTE]

I gave away my collection. Probably only in the ~3000 card range. I don't regret it for a second because it was all Topps from the early to late 80s. Granted, there are a few good rookies in there, but since Topps were so heavily run and there were SO many new card companies, they won't be worth anything. I wanted to get a complete set of Topps cards from my birthdate through the future, but I just can't find myself going back to buy some of the sets.

[quote name='Retom7']I collect currency. Nothing worth a great deal, but I do it more to preserve the old stuff I find along the way, and interesting. I lucked out working in a bank with a teller drawer where I would keep interesting things and swap them at the end of the day for my own money (with management's supervision ;) ). I have picked up a decent number of commemorative dollars and half dollars that people break apart from a silver set to trade them into the bank at face value. It works for me since there's nowhere else I can get those sets for under $30-40 a coin. I keep anything silver, a few flaws like a half-roll of pennies that were all unstamped... not worth anything, but unique outside of tours of the mint. I like paper money too. I preserve everything inside a plastic coin pocket & bill pocket, but don't go through the trouble of sealing them.

I would love to get it appraised, same with an old stamp collection I inherited, but I am not sure which avenue to go through to get an accurate number instead of a low-ball price for a dealer or collector to attempt to purchase it from me. "I'd say this is worth around $500, but I'd be willing to give you $750" and meanwhile it's worth $1500 or something. Face value of coin and currency is probably in the neighborhood of 400-500 now because I recently added a 1920's $100 bill. Again, the beauty is that I have never spent over face value. I've too been keeping new coins to complete collections and like having them out of the rolls instead of the perfect strikes out of the mint. I have little interest in future value and this is more for my own enjoyment.[/QUOTE]

I also collect currency. Because I cannot afford to collect everything I want, I focus on $1 bills and fractional currency of the Civil War. Back then, people hoarded their gold and silver coins, which meant there were not enough half dollars, quarters, and dimes to go around. The solution was fractional currency, dollar bills for less than a dollar.

If you live in a large town, you may want to visit a coin club for an appraisal. There, you can find honest collectors who actually want new people to join the hobby. A dealer doesn't care if you decide to collect or not. He may realize ripping you off will deter you from the hobby, but maybe he doesn't care. He just wants to make money. A collector has a different mindset. He wants someone to talk to about coins and will try to get you interested in the hobby. He's not going to rip you off because he's not in it to make money. Besides, he may not even want whatever it is you have. It may not be his specialty. A dealer's specialty is usually anything he can sell for a profit. Someone like myself would give you an honest appraisal. I'm sure you can find some honest collectors at a coin club. These people usually know their stuff and are looking out for beginning collectors. Most collectors will cringe at a story of an unknowledeable person getting ripped off. Most larger cities have a coin club. Houston has three or four.

Like most here, a bunch of video game, comic and sports collectible crap. Like action figures, posters and bobble heads.

My bedroom looks like a 13 year old kids, instead of a 27 year old man. :lol:

[quote name='DuelLadyS']Anime DVDs [/QUOTE]
That is my main collecting habit. The only other thing I really collect now beside that is martial-art action films and Star Trek novels.

I used to be into sports cards but I haven't bought any in at least 15 years.

I collect these things CAGs

Video Games - I've been collecting since 2006. I play and collect. (Check my video game collection in CAG)
Vinyl Records - I've been collecting since 2007.
Hot Wheels - I've been collecting since 2008

Not really collecting any more, but.

Old picture too.

pa040001aj6.jpg

I used to collect comic books and comic book toys and of course video games.
Now its just video games, and the odd cheap cool looking action figure/trade paper back.

- The occasional awesome 80s toy (mostly Generation 1 Transformers).
- Making-of/Artbooks related to my favorite films/games or by my favorite artists.
- I used to collect 35mm movie trailer reels (from a stint managing a theater), but I gave all but one to my old roommate after I moved much too far away for me to wanna lug them around.
- And lastly, I'd never intended to collect them, but I've managed to attain a fair amount of autographs that are all at least quite sentimental in value.

For a while it was guitars but home ownership has slowed that down significantly (hard to drop $5k on a guitar when you have a mortgage to pay) and has moved more into funky effects and such.

At my worst I had 26 guitars, most in the $500-800 area but I dumped most of those to get some liquidity for the down payment on the house and then purchased a couple of nicer $2,500 guitars that ended up getting sold almost right away because there was high demand at the time. Trying to get my hands on a 2010 PRS Swamp Ash Special with Narrowfields and I DESPERATELY want the new SC58 that's slowly coming out. I'm hoping that a decent used one shows up on eBay before long, even though I can't afford either one of them.

I also have a problem with amps. Right now I've got a dozen of them and only four really get used with any regularity. Then again, I'd kill for a Boogie Mark V head with a wicker grill. Right now I mostly have tube based oddities from Sears and such with a couple of boutique heads as well.

I collect way too much STUFF - Me and my wife go to yard sales, estate sales, thrift stores - you name it. We are trying to get better as we don't have room for it all. We aren't hoarders or anything though! I have way too many gba/ds games - that's what I got into years ago. I've stopped that though and slowed down most of my other collecting (flashlights, guitars/instruments, MTG, vintage photo gear, and the list goes on) - I guess having a kid will do that to you. I still collect Jim Woodring stuff - my favorite artist - what few vinyl figs he has as well artwork and signed books. And now that I have a kid I'm sorta starting to collect toys from my youth - Fisher Price Little People and vintage books.

This thread is fascinating to me - I do not understand at all why anyone would collect anything just for the sake of having it.

[quote name='javeryh']This thread is fascinating to me - I do not understand at all why anyone would collect anything just for the sake of having it.[/QUOTE]

Don't you collect awkward hugs?

[quote name='seanr1221']Don't you collect awkward hugs?[/QUOTE]

I've received a few but I wouldn't say I collect them. I don't think there's anything wrong with collecting - spend your money on whatever - I just honestly don't get the appeal of trying to own a lot of a particular thing which is why I think it is fascinating.

[quote name='seanr1221']:lol: I didn't expect a serious reply.[/QUOTE]

Aww man, I was trying to be sarcastic in the first sentence. Damn you, internet.

CDs. Definately CDs. First you have to have everything by an artist, then everything by the sidemen on that disc, and then....

I've got probably near 500 at this point. I forget. There's a lot I need to go through and get rid of. Things I havent listened to more than once, things I havent listened to in over 2 years, duplicates, etc.

Modern Star Wars figures of characters/vehicles from the original trilogy.

Vintage GI Joe vehicles but modern figures.

Tron stuff.

Tin robots, new or old.

Porn.

Obscure movies/B-movies

Industrial music.

Books of erotic photographs.

I keep videogames when I buy them...and since I've been gaming since the Atari 2600 days...

I don't go out of my way for it, but, I'll pick up videogame promotional items and whatnot. Store posters, cards, displays, etc. Haven't really got anything promo-y in a couple years.

I picked up two pachislo (Japanese slot) machines last week, and, I think I'm going to continue picking them up. I'll be picking up Pachinko games as well.

Then again, I don't know if I'm really getting games/slot machines to "collect" them. Since I actively play/use them, and I'm not picking them up as some sort of series, collecting may not be the right term.

[quote name='Rig']I keep videogames when I buy them...and since I've been gaming since the Atari 2600 days...

I don't go out of my way for it, but, I'll pick up videogame promotional items and whatnot. Store posters, cards, displays, etc. Haven't really got anything promo-y in a couple years.

I picked up two pachislo (Japanese slot) machines last week, and, I think I'm going to continue picking them up. I'll be picking up Pachinko games as well.

Then again, I don't know if I'm really getting games/slot machines to "collect" them. Since I actively play/use them, and I'm not picking them up as some sort of series, collecting may not be the right term.[/QUOTE]

What's the point of collecting if you can't enjoy it?;)

[quote name='Rig']I picked up two pachislo (Japanese slot) machines last week, and, I think I'm going to continue picking them up. I'll be picking up Pachinko games as well.

Then again, I don't know if I'm really getting games/slot machines to "collect" them. Since I actively play/use them, and I'm not picking them up as some sort of series, collecting may not be the right term.[/QUOTE]

Awesome Rig - got any pics? Are they expensive? The ones I've seen run a few hundred dollars and go up from there.

"Collect" to me means that there is some topic (like anything Mario related, for example) or group of things (like baseball cards) and you want to own as much as possible of it. Like you would buy a box of Mario-branded tampons just because Mario was on the box and not because you had your period. I have a few arcade machines in my house but I definitely don't "collect" them. I'm sure most of us have things like DVDs, video games, etc. that we enjoy but definitely do not collect...

[quote name='javeryh']Awesome Rig - got any pics? Are they expensive? The ones I've seen run a few hundred dollars and go up from there.

"Collect" to me means that there is some topic (like anything Mario related, for example) or group of things (like baseball cards) and you want to own as much as possible of it. Like you would buy a box of Mario-branded tampons just because Mario was on the box and not because you had your period. I have a few arcade machines in my house but I definitely don't "collect" them. I'm sure most of us have things like DVDs, video games, etc. that we enjoy but definitely do not collect...[/QUOTE]

I posted a few pics of them here on CAG.

You can get some good deals on machines if you actively watch Craigslist. I cut a deal with a reseller for my two machines. If I wanted to drive an hour or so (in any direction) I see some nice looking machines for as low as $50 (most under $200).

An "excellent condition" machine can indeed go for a few hundred bucks or more from a vendor website. With them, you are getting a warranty and whatnot.

Plus, there's really hard-to-find machines and rares, which can be very expensive.

FOREIGN CURRENCY

I use to collect DVDs, but realized they accumate too fast and I really don't watch most of them more than twice....sold them at Hastings. I do manage to keep foreign money as a collection...ever since I was 12 and then I joined the US Army and collected more as I traveled. Still have German Marks!!! =)

[quote name='PenguinoMF']My girlfriend and I collect shot glasses of places we visit, like Las Vegas or NYC.[/QUOTE]

Wow you just reminded me of something that I guess I actually do collect - my wife and I buy a Christmas ornament for the tree on every vacation we go on. I don't collect them in the traditional sense - I only buy one if I go on vacation but it probably counts. When we put up the tree at the end of the year we always end up reminiscing about some awesome trip we took.

bread's done
Back