What do you do with your change$$$

I was just wondering what everyone does with the change you get when you purchase things. I ask because I put it in my pig-e-bank while my g/f keeps it on her to use. So what do you do and why?

[quote name='Badboyoftailoring']I was just wondering what everyone does with the change you get when you purchase things. I ask because I put it in my pig-e-bank while my g/f keeps it on her to use. So what do you do and why?[/QUOTE]

I put it in a box when I got home. Save it until its enough to roll up in those wrappers then spend in it again.

Thats what I do as well, it's like a nice surprise when I finally decide to cash it in. My g/f says that she would rather spend it so she doesn't end up with huge amounts of coins.

I normally spend my coins in an effort to save bills / have less coins. Nothing irritates me more than pennies. >_>

I don't mind keeping a couple of quarters on me but everything else goes into a bucket for spare change. If it looks like enough, I'll go to Duane Reade to dump my coins into a Coinstar machine to make an Amazon eCertificate.

i'm "that guy" who pays for stuff with his change. reasonable amounts though, pennies and nickels just go in a container, i spend dimes and quarters.

[quote name='Scorch']put it in a jar then take the jar down to coinstar so they can rape me by 9%.[/QUOTE]

Get the Amazon gift certificate, then they don't take anything. I save my change in a jar specifically so when I find a good deal at Amazon, I take the change to the Coinstar and get the certificate. I usually have enough to get the free shipping, too.

Quarters go into a jar for laundry and everything else goes into a pink piggy bank and is eventually switched to bills when it is full. Its just about full now so I'll be taking to a Coinstar and getting the Amazon GC.

[quote name='Chairman_LMAO']Get the Amazon gift certificate, then they don't take anything. I save my change in a jar specifically so when I find a good deal at Amazon, I take the change to the Coinstar and get the certificate. I usually have enough to get the free shipping, too.[/QUOTE]

What? It never gives me that choice. Just to cash it or donate it.

I throw my change into the change tray / compartment in my car. I never have much though, since I pay everything with credit (or debit if credit isn't accepted). Then I usually use the change to pay the 'exact' cents amount (along with bills from my wallet) when I order fast food. I keep a few quarters in my wallet for vending machines, since everything now costs $1.25 and upwards.

Spend the silver and the pennies go into a giant Coke bottle bank. It was full last year and I cashed them all in for about $110. That's 11,000 pennies for the mathematically impaired.

[quote name='Scorch']put it in a jar then take the jar down to coinstar so they can rape me by 9%.[/QUOTE]

Just take it to your bank. They should do it for free. Just be sure not to go during lunch, last hour before close or anytime on a Friday. The last thing they want to deal with during the busy times are loose coins. I took 4 full coffee cans to mine during midafternoon and it was no problem. Of course, I started with 1 then asked if they would mind doing more.

Coinstar -> Free eCertificate linkage

My jar usually holds around $30 worth of change. I've been wanting to get one of those big ass jugs like for office water coolers to really save up some change! I rarely spend change just bills or plastic then I sort my quarters out for laundry and everything else goes in the jar.

If you apply it toward amazon gift cards, there's no fee. That's what I do. Paid for Wii Sports Resort and Uncharted 2 today that way.

save up my coins in a bag [ one of those plastic bags from nickel city ], and when it fills up i take it to coinstar and trade it in for an amazon GC.

I toss it a bank on my shelf that keeps track of how much is in there (except that it counts dollar coins as quarters), then usually dump it at Coinstar. I haven't done it since before they started offering Amazon GCs, but I'll definitely opt for that next time I cash in.

For christmas last year I got one of those piggy bank canisters that counts every coin you put in, so all the silver change goes in there. Pennies in a seperate jar.

Then they all eventually go to the Coinstar machine for an Amazon gift card.

I have a big red plastic piggy bank I've been filling up for a few years now (would be much more if I carried cash consistently). It's all silver coins and weighs between 15-20 lbs. I don't plan on cashing it in until it's full and when I do, I'll be paying for a nice vacation with it.

Go to the bank.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']19 replies, and nobody else mentions that the OP spelled it "pig-e-bank"?[/QUOTE]

/shrug.

I read between the lines and then mentally subtracted the lines and the 'E' then added a 'G' and a 'Y' and figured out what he meant. I did it suprisingly fast.

Plus, I didn't want to be the spelling police today.

I try to use my change whenever possible since I can't stand buying something for $1.04 and getting 96 cents back. Quarters I save and leave in my car since I live in NYC and can use it on metered parking.

I never use change, so it goes in a jar (that counts it!) until I feel like cashing it in. I recently got over $50 including a number of dollar coins, so I wrapped what I could, leaving behind a couple bucks, and it'll be deposited/cashed whenever I get to the bank.

When I'm in my car it just falls out of my pocket and stays in my seat.
I use to sit on up to 50$ in quarters all the time.
I delivered pizza so I always had tons of change.

I'm a register monkey, and don't have much change to begin with, so I just 'upgrade' my change as I get it. It's really rather conveinient.

i bring my change to work because we have vending machines throughout the office so i get a soda every now and then or some pretzels.

I spend mine in the vending machines at work when I want something. I use to keep my pennies a Coke Cola plastic bottle coin bank but I busted it open one day lifting it with about 200 bucks worth of change in it.

Lol at the comments saying change is for poor people.

First I collect it in a giant bottle, once full I put it in all of my pockets and then walk around the streets of LA until somebody asks if I have any spare change . . . . . . . and then its jackpot time for that person, I shower them with all of the change that I have. It makes quite a scene but it is fun for me.

[quote name='perdition(troy']only poor people worry about what to do with change.[/QUOTE]Maybe you're lost. This is cheapassgamer.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']i bring my change to work because we have vending machines throughout the office so i get a soda every now and then or some pretzels.[/QUOTE]

This. Only at school and it's one of those pink frosting cookies.

I keep all my change in a jar with a counter. I periodically take it to my credit union. They have a change counter (similar to Coinstar) that members can use for free. Once the machine counts it it gives you a receipt which you can take to the counter to cash out for bills or deposit in your account. I always deposit it.

[quote name='i_bent_my_wookie']First I collect it in a giant bottle, once full I put it in all of my pockets and then walk around the streets of LA until somebody asks if I have any spare change . . . . . . . and then its jackpot time for that person, I shower them with all of the change that I have. It makes quite a scene but it is fun for me.[/QUOTE]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3TvIeZc37U

I keep a small bag of nickels, dimes and quarters to use for parking etc. The rest I throw in a bag at home and will either refill my parking bag every once in a while or take it to the bank coin machine every once it a while.

Change in my pocket--if I by lunch around my work etc. tends to end up in the tip jar or I'll give it to a homeless person on the walk back to the office.

I forgot to add that I don't smoke so I fill up my ashtrays in my truck with change as well. That change I usually keep in my truck.

[quote name='perdition(troy']cheapassgamer =/= poorassgamer[/QUOTE]

Exactly. I'm cheap with games as I don't enjoy gaming enough anymore, or spend enough time on it, to spend much money on them.

But I have less problems shelling out money for good food, beer, movie tickets, concerts etc.

Agreed, I didn't agree with that part of his post as I do generally put my change to use.

But I do get annoyed sometimes when people think everyone here is either poor or a cheap ass in all walks of life. Just because someone wants to save money on games doesn't mean they're strapped for cash or are a tightwad in general.

I put my silver in a big jar and my pennies in a different jar. When the change (non-pennies) gets full I take it to the bank and trade it in. Usually $300-$400 at a time. The pennies sit there...some day they will get turned in as well.

bread's done
Back