What do you dread about the holidays?

JolietJake

Banned
It seems like everyone dreads at least one thing about the holidays, a lot of the time it's being with some of their family. We're going to my aunt's house for thanksgiving this year and they're a pretty religious family, while i'm really not. I don't know what to do with myself when they start saying grace or something.

So what do you dread about the holidays?

Last edited by a moderator:
Family... I don't like most of them.
The random flashbacks of me almost dying 8 years ago on Thanksgiving...
Stores being crowded.

[quote name='JolietJake']We're going to my aunt's house for thanksgiving this year and they're a pretty religious family, while i'm really not. I don't know what to do with myself when they start saying grace or something. [/QUOTE]

Just sit there quietly?

I don't get why people get so uptight about stuff like that. As long as your family isn't insane and you don't do something stupid like make a speech about how you'll have to sit this one out because you don't care about Jesus or sigh really loud when they announce it's time for grace, I doubt they will care if you don't repeat it or say amen.

Part of my mom's side of the family I can't stand any of them. Me and my sister have to suffer through tomorrow with them.

Second would be the stores being crowded.

[quote name='Sporadic']Just sit there quietly?

I don't get why people get so uptight about stuff like that. As long as your family isn't insane and you don't do something stupid like make a speech about how you'll have to sit this one out because you don't care about Jesus or sigh really loud when they announce it's time for grace, I doubt they will care if you don't repeat it or say amen.[/QUOTE]
Being the odd man out maybe? It isn't the most comfortable situation.

How did you almost die, geo? :lol:

You hate everything, tfn. :(

I go to my aunts house and there's NO god damn HDTV there. It's fucking horrible going from 1080p to 480i on the PS3.

[quote name='Paco']I go to my aunts house and there's NO god damn HDTV there. It's fucking horrible going from 1080p to 480i on the PS3.[/QUOTE]

Can't you leave your PS3 at home for that long? So you can spend some time with your family. ^_^

Lets see what do I hate. Knowing my annoying cousin is off from college, and I have no fucking idea when he is going to come over. Sadly that's it. :)

Traffic everywhere and just general craziness at any store you go to, even grocery stores. And I dread the first two months of the new year because the gym will be similarly packed with clueless people standing everywhere.

Morons in parking lots. The inevitable battle for parking spaces, even ones far, far from the front doors. Long and longer lines with pissy employees.

[quote name='jman619']Can't you leave your PS3 at home for that long? So you can spend some time with your family. ^_^

Lets see what do I hate. Knowing my annoying cousin is off from college, and I have no fucking idea when he is going to come over. Sadly that's it. :)[/QUOTE]

The only fun thing over there is the pool. They use this archaic tv with super weak cable and they literally have nothing to do over there. I can spend time with family, or I can bring this thing over and have something to do with the other people and talk while playing. So which would you do? Endure a coma or have some fun with family playing games and talking at the same time?

It's the only time High Velocity Bowling ever really gets used too LOL.

The awkward political correctness at retail stores as I'm checking out/leaving and everyone tries really hard to not say "Christmas."

Gaining weight. I'm surprise nobody said this yet. Lol. Most of the other things are avoidable, at least in my case. I suppose this is avoidable too but it's so hard not to enjoy all the good food everyone makes.

[quote name='tiredfornow']The family, the food, the presents, the spirit, the movies, the television. I hate it all.[/QUOTE]

You're someone I want to spend time with.

The thing I hate the most is all the running around. Everyone is divorced so my holidays have become a study in logistics.

Doesn't happen every holiday, but this year, I've kind of been 'laid off' at work. (I only work during my school breaks, but they won't let me work this Thanksgiving or Christmas.) I earn quite a bit of money, and not having it this year is going to be bad. (It also means I can't afford tuition for next semester, and I can't get any loans. :whistle2:()

Also, I'd have to agree with slickkill77, all Christmas music sucks.

[quote name='tiredfornow']The family, the food, the presents, the spirit, the movies, the television. I hate it all.[/QUOTE]

Bah humbug!

I hate traveling all over the place to visit relatives, out of state, with my husband, only to ignored by said relatives. This year I'm sitting it out and staying home.

[quote name='slickkill77']All christmas music sucks.[/QUOTE]

I kinda disagree. The only thing I'll listen to on a limited run is either Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer or Mr. Hanky's Merry fucking Xmas.

I hate that everything is closed on holidays, too. I need some shampoo and all I can find is the travel size pantene pro-v at Stripes? Eat my shorts.[quote name='Spacepest']Bah humbug!

I hate traveling all over the place to visit relatives, out of state, with my husband, only to ignored by said relatives. This year I'm sitting it out and staying home.[/QUOTE]Its obvious nobody loves you if they ignore you after you spend your hard earned cash on visiting those idiots. Good choice.

Gift shopping. Don't mind the money spent or experience (since I do almost all of it online). I just hate figuring out what to get people. Some are easy--like my dad (can just get him books or music) or my girlfriend (just ask what she wants). Others are a pain--like my mom who doesn't need anything and doesn't have a lot of hobbies that are easy to buy gifts for.

the fakeness of it all. people suddenly giving a shit about others than themselves and all the constant commercials about "helping the needy" blah blah blah. it annoys me that only around this time and until the end of december do people suddenly feel the need to help others and then they brag about it as if they actually solved the problem instead of just putting a bandaid on a bullet hole.

on top of that all the holiday music and xmas shopping commercials you get attacked by daily. and then theres the family get togethers full of people who dont truly get along and so youre stuck in a small place with them for hours on end recycling the same old bs conversations and trying to do your best not to lose it on somebody. and all you can think is if were so close how come we only get together 1 or 2 times a yeah and why do we all live so far apart.

and the whole family get together annoyance is only magnified when youre dating someone then youre expected to show up to her families gatherings too and if you dont they get all butt hurt like you dont want to see them ,which you dont, but what does it matter?

yep i do hate holidays but its more about the sense of duty or requirement that comes with them. you have to do this, you need to go here and be there or else youre not really doing it right.

and dont get me started on the whole its not right to say christmas you have to say happy holiday so as not to offend those who dont celebrate christmas.

the only holiday that doesnt annoy me fully is mothers day oh yeah and st patricks day .

[quote name='JolietJake']

How did you almost die, geo? :lol:
[/QUOTE]

Liver failure when I was 13. No drugs/alcohol involved. Thanksgiving night I was flown to another hospital via helicopter. 3.0 Hemoglobin they told me.. don't know what it meant, but they said it was bad. Internal bleeding, liver failed, lot's of shit fucked up. Spent the next year going in and out of the hospital for visits to get shit fixed and minor surgeries. Today isn't a holiday to me.

Geez, thought you'd say food poisoning or something. Random liver failure seems kinda strange.
------
My aunt told us not to worry about when we got there, we got there at about 4 and when we walked in she says, "Sorry, everyone has already eaten," in a "Where were you?" kind of way. Everything was cold and picked over, so i didn't get much of a dinner.

I guess I'm going to be the odd one and say I actually enjoy the holidays. There are annoyances, sure, but nothing worse than the rest of the year.

I can't stand any of it, but I fail to see how going in debt is really something to be thankful for or how it shows spirit.

I hate the family get togethers. Plenty of family members I hate that I'd rather avoid and yet I never get the chance to.

It's also nearly impossible to make small talk with people you only see a couple of times a year.

" Hi, i know nothing about you besides your name, how have you been?"

I usually get depressed around the holidays.

To get out of the funk, I usually play a very destructive gave for two months straight.

Two years ago, I got cologne, forgot I could start fires with it and played Flatout 2.

Last year, my wife whined about the two house payments thing and Star Wars: Battlefront II.

This year, I have a puppy pissing and shitting everywhere and I haven't figured out what game to play. I'm thinking Fallout Tactics or Indigo Prophecy.

If money starts growing on trees, it'll be Fallout 3 and a PS3 to use on a new HDTV.

[quote name='lionheart4life']Traffic everywhere and just general craziness at any store you go to, even grocery stores. And I dread the first two months of the new year because the gym will be similarly packed with clueless people standing everywhere.[/QUOTE]
and always some dumb shit needs a spot lifting sub 100 lbs yeah i know..

I hate when my dad wakes me up at 8am to tell me to purchase an amazon black friday deal that he wants to buy for my mom. Since he is horrible with a computer, i have to click through and just buy whatever crap he added to the cart.
Long story short now 20minutes later(since now i can't go back to sleep) i find out that the item "True Blood Season 1" isn't even on sale yet...being up at 8am when you planned to sleep in sucks.

I dont like Black Friday at all. Last year I was lucky enough to work at circuit city for 12.5 hours in a predominantly mexican area and I speak almost nil spanish. This year I only got ~4 hours of sleep. Ugh...holidays.

[quote name='PR Mega X']I guess I'm going to be the odd one and say I actually enjoy the holidays. There are annoyances, sure, but nothing worse than the rest of the year.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, other than the shopping I enjoy this time of year as well. But we've never done the big family get together things. Just small gatherings of people we actually get along with etc.

I have to say the music. I work in retail and I hate hearing the same songs over and over all day, every day for over a month. I counted once and in a 6 hour shift I heard Sleigh Ride 8 times.

Also seeing family. My uncle is the most obnoxious jerk I have ever met. And he is nothing compared to my step grandmother, she is just plain evil.

bread's done
Back