What do you put on your sandwiches/Sandwich advice and suggestions.

hiccupleftovers

CAGiversary!
So I've been eating quite a few sandwiches lately since I'm living abroad for a bit and I don't have much of a kitchen/many kitchen utensils. In addition to the standard deli meat fare, I've tried:

Hot peppers
cucumbers (the small Mediterranean ones)
Hummus
Salsa
tomatoes
bell peppers (both red and green)
lettuce
pickles
olives
mushrooms
jalapeño sauce (that hellmann's brand sandwich spread)
Cajun seasoning (mmmm...picked up on this little bit from my time spent in New Orleans. The stuff goes great on pretty much anything, especially fries.)

What else have you guys tried/put on your sandwich? Save my sandwiches from being boring (mostly from getting boring).

Last edited by a moderator:
No cheese?

To me the key to a great sandwich is the cheese. Some Gouda, or Limburger, Swizz!. My local market has a great selection of fresh cheeses and meats.

A fine slice of cheese, with turkey, light mayo and mustard, on a Baguette bread.....:drool:

Im just a big fan of cheese - its just as as important as the type of meat.

Usually just coopers cheese and mayo for me. Sometimes I put sriracha hot sauce on it though depending on what the sandwich is.

A rich BBQ sauce

Make a turkey sandwich on multi-grain with tomatoes, ms dash seasoning, some good cheese (not that kraft singles crap) and some rich BBQ sauce...lawd....

[quote name='Viol8tor']No cheese?

To me the key to a great sandwich is the cheese. Some Gouda, or Limburger, Swizz!. My local market has a great selection of fresh cheeses and meats.

A fine slice of cheese, with turkey, light mayo and mustard, on a Baguette bread.....:drool:

Im just a big fan of cheese - its just as as important as the type of meat.[/QUOTE]

Oops... forgot to mention cheese, but I guess I just thought that would be expected/understood/thought of/gleaned/a given.

Banana peppers are really good, they're kind of like sweeter pickles. Next time you're at Quiznos, try some of their banana peppers!

banana_pepper_organic_vegetables_austin_seguin.JPG

[quote name='Moses144']Banana peppers are really good, they're kind of like sweeter pickles. Next time you're at Quiznos, try some of their banana peppers!

banana_pepper_organic_vegetables_austin_seguin.JPG
[/QUOTE]

All the quiznos by me have closed.

They have them at Subway too.

My sandwiches are usually very plain. I typically just put lettuce and swiss cheese. I can't stand mayo, mustard, peppers or anything else really.

I like:
salami + provo/mozz. + italian salad dressing + romaine + tomatoes on something crusty
OR
chicken cutlet + pesto + mozz on something crusty toasted/pressed alla paninoteca

blue and or feta cheese.takuan. brown mustard, texas pete, tobasco sauce.

Aside from the meats and cheese, I have my fridge STOCKED with different sauces and dressing that I'll put on sandwichs. Blue cheese dressing, caesar, ranch, honey mustard, spicy honey mustard.... Try Me Tiger sauce!!! :D :D

SRIRACHA!!!!!!!!!!!! I put this shit on EVERYTHING.

I also love pepperoni, onion and fried eggs on the sandwich. A slice of thin pizza works well, too.

Don't forget the joys of paninis (hot cooked pressed sandwiches) or, on the "cheese" end of the things, gourmet grilled cheese sandwiches!

One great grilled cheese I was introduced to was English Cotswald (cheddar w/ chives) with sliced jalapenos, but there's a ton of other great melters out there like Swiss Gruyere, Italian Fontina, etc.

If you want to get really exotic, try goat cheese with some sweet roasted red peppers.

My first job years ago was at a gourmet deli; can you tell? :lol:

[quote name='OtakuFerret']Don't forget the joys of paninis (hot cooked pressed sandwiches) or, on the "cheese" end of the things, gourmet grilled cheese sandwiches!

One great grilled cheese I was introduced to was English Cotswald (cheddar w/ chives) with sliced jalapenos, but there's a ton of other great melters out there like Swiss Gruyere, Italian Fontina, etc.

If you want to get really exotic, try goat cheese with some sweet roasted red peppers.

My first job years ago was at a gourmet deli; can you tell? :lol:[/QUOTE]
you know what's awesome? Hello Kitty sandwich maker!

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.antipixel.com/blog/archives/images/kittySandwichMaker_02.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.antipixel.com/blog/archives/2002/12/03/the_kittychan_sandwich_maker.html&usg=__fYjz67fd_-MVGgoim59coGtOA88=&h=436&w=360&sz=43&hl=en&start=19&zoom=1&tbnid=ABgja2SCa0gtuM:&tbnh=126&tbnw=104&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dhello%2Bkitty%2Bsandwich%2Bmaker%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Dactive%26sa%3DN%26tbs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1

wish I could do a better post but I have restrictions at work. This is so tasty.

i saw this bottle in the cabinet marked 'Paprika' and since I have no idea what it is. I've been putting it in literally everything I eat. minus the drinks and cereal.. but i haven't had cereal so pretty much everything.

[quote name='Wolfkin']i saw this bottle in the cabinet marked 'Paprika' and since I have no idea what it is. I've been putting it in literally everything I eat. minus the drinks and cereal.. but i haven't had cereal so pretty much everything.[/QUOTE]

Paprika is a ground, mild chile pepper:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paprika

If you think that's good, you should try smoked paprika. It's amazing. It usually comes in a square metal container, and it's not cheap (but not overly expensive), but a little goes a long way.

all i know is that we have like 3 bottles of the stuff and since noone seems to use it i'm gonna test it out on everything until i know what it's good for and what not. and since my tastes in food are far from discriminating I think I'll be making a lot of checks in the ok column and few ni the 'not ok' column

Tzatziki Sauce (Greek yogurt sauce w/ cucumbers)
Tabouli (sorta Salsa'ish but drier)
French Onion Dip
Salsa con Queso

All pre-made/packed from the market. Mmmmm...

might also want to try Aioli, Hollandaise, gravy, or even lemon curd.

My daily lunch sandwiches are super boring. Whole wheat bread, some low fat lunch meat (mix that up at least), brown mustard, lettuce.

How in the fuck has nobody mentioned the greatness that is avocados! Heresy! The technical term for a "sandwich" without avocado is a failwich. :dunce:

Ew. I call that a green slab of flavorless mushy filler. Although I strangely miss it if it's not in a California roll. *shrugs*

I don't get guacamole either. Gasp.

I usually go for the 'honey roasted'(very imortant)peanut butter made by peter pan and some grape jelly.

If its not that one then its hard salami with cheese(swiss, gouda, munster or cheddar) topped with mayonaise and some 'sweet baby rays' bbq sauce. Sometimes i add potato chips on the sandwich as well. Depends what kind ive got.

Meat. Cheese. Bread. Maybe some mayo. Olive Oil/vinegar are optional. No Veggies!

There actually is a restaurant called Meat Cheese Bread in Portland. Never been there. I doubt they cater to my specific tastes. And I dislike most of the pretensiousness of portland establishments anyway.

[quote name='celegus']How in the fuck has nobody mentioned the greatness that is avocados! Heresy! The technical term for a "sandwich" without avocado is a failwich. :dunce:[/QUOTE]

Definitely a great (and healthy) substitute for mayo. Throw it on a grilled chicken sandwich with jalapeno peppers and I don't miss the mayo or cheese.

If I go to Subway, I'll just pile up high with most of the vegetables with some Ranch or Olive Oil, and some pepper.

But if I make it myself, just the basics with that Rooster sauce.

You know, switching up the kind of bread makes a difference too. White bread is good for PB&J and grilled cheese, but can be bland otherwise.

ciabatta has a nice chew w/a bit of tang.

sour dough even more so

garlic naan found frozen at Trader Joe's is great. Easy to convert to pizza too.

Might also throw on some pickled daikon/carrots/cucumber like the kind you find in vietnamese subs. Cut'em up into sticks, toss into a bowl with some sugar, add white/rice vinegar, and it's ready in about 30 mins refrigerated.

My main Sanvich now.

Wheat Bread
Roast Beef
Peperoni
Lettuce
Tomato
Swiss Cheese

With either a pickle or green olives on the side.

capers.
jalapenos.
provolone.
pulled pork sandwich. (I had one today)
Sausage with sauerkraut on Pumpernickel bread.
oil and vinegar dressing.
salsa.
bell peppers.

thinly slice up anything green and it'll work on a sandwich. (cabbage, cucumber, spinach, etc.)

also toasted bread.

Also, really funny posts about paprika Wolfkin.

bread's done
Back