What do you use to protect your computer?

hiccupleftovers

CAGiversary!
Just wondering and haven't seen one of these on here in a while, so I thought what the hell. I'm going to create a list between now and tomorrow since I use a whole bunch of stuff, so I'll update in a bit.

Firefox/Opera - Whatever I'm in the mood to use.
Spybot
Adaware
Spyware Blaster
Spyware Terminator
AVG Antispyware
PeerGuardian
CCleaner

[quote name='crystalklear64']Maybe better off in the PC forum?[/quote]

Yes and no. In the PC forum it falls off into the drudgeries of obscurity never to see the homepage or the front page of the forum homepage. Here it's off topic and will get seen.

I protect my penis with a Trojan, but I cannot say the same for my computer.

Kerio Firewall
Avast Antivirus
Ad-Aware
Spybot
Common sense

The only thing I use IE for is trusted sites like CAG, Bank of America, Yahoo, Xbox Live, etc. For everything else I use Firefox.

Mac OSX -- problem free and no chance to get a virus (i have no antivirus program and have never needed to reinstall my operating system) .... i will never own a windows based pc again.

Yeah this probably should go on the PC forum, but I guess I'll leave it here for now since I never would have seen it in the PC forum. ;)

I like all the responses from people who are too cool to need anti-virus or a firewall. :roll: (Excepting people with Macs, it's safe by virtue of not having enough market penetration for virus writing assholes to target.)

Comodo Firewall. Used to use Zone-Alarm, not really sure one is better than the other.
AVG Anti-Virus
Spybot
AdAware
SpywareBlaster (active spyware protection) Although I currently don't have this one run, it's just installed.

Everything on my list is free BTW.

[quote name='Sporadic']Opera
Trend Micro PC-Cillin Internet Security 2007
Common sense (aka using torrents)[/quote]

Don't you mean NOT using torrents?

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Don't you mean NOT using torrents?[/QUOTE]

Um, no.

As long as you are smart about where you download from, torrents are just about the safest way to pirate almost anything.

AVG and Ad-Aware

I downloaded The Sarah Conner Cronicles and it had some virus to it, so I deleted it, downloaded a different one, another virus.

[quote name='wubb']Yeah this probably should go on the PC forum, but I guess I'll leave it here for now since I never would have seen it in the PC forum. ;)

I like all the responses from people who are too cool to need anti-virus or a firewall. :roll: (Excepting people with Macs, it's safe by virtue of not having enough market penetration for virus writing assholes to target.)

Comodo Firewall. Used to use Zone-Alarm, not really sure one is better than the other.
AVG Anti-Virus
Spybot
AdAware
SpywareBlaster (active spyware protection) Although I currently don't have this one run, it's just installed.

Everything on my list is free BTW.[/QUOTE]

It's not about being too cool, it's about being smart.

You wouldn't go to crack alley to fill a prescription so don't go to a shady site to DL stuff.

istockphoto_2527539_condom_mouse.jpg

I'm using Kaspersky Internet Suite with my Windows Vista 64 bit computer.

The security features are stronger in Vista than the previous Windows which is good and bad. Its bad because it sometimes prevents older software from running.

Avast Antivirus
Ad-aware home
XP firewall
CCleaner
Firefox

that covers everything for free.

I just reformat my HDD as soon as something goes wrong. I've got it down to a science now. Takes me 1 hour 10 minutes to get everything reinstalled.

... I'm kidding :roll: . Cox Antivirus + Firewall + AdAware

[quote name='whoknows']Common sense.

I used Zone Alarm for a short while but it was annoying.[/quote]
+ my fists

I usually have some form of anti-virus, such as avast, AVG, NOD32, or Norton. I once used firewalls, but I don't really see a reason anymore. The only malicious thing on my computers a few years ago was a trojan; other than that I haven't had anything bad.

[quote name='Apossum']Avast Antivirus
Ad-aware home
XP firewall
CCleaner
Firefox

that covers everything for free.[/quote] Dear God no! XP 'Firewall' is anything but

Anybody running XP Firewall or a PC without anti-virus (including you Mac fanbois) is about as smart as running naked backwards in a cornfield.:roll:

[quote name='CappyCobra']Dear God no! XP 'Firewall' is anything but

Anybody running XP Firewall or a PC without anti-virus (including you Mac fanbois) is about as smart as running naked backwards in a cornfield.:roll:[/QUOTE]

well, all my megahurtz are accounted for and I haven't had a real virus in years...

I'm pretty sure this cat has to disagree.

04rk7.jpg

[quote name='Apossum']well, all my megahurtz are accounted for and I haven't had a real virus in years...[/quote]

buying a new computer every month...isn't that how it's supposed to be?

otherwise AVG Free

and nothing much.

I might try some of the stuff various posters use (i.e. NOD32)

Comodo Firewall (I was using Zonealarm but it had some troubles with my utorrent I think, a while back. Now that I've switched I really like Comodo - I find it to be easy to use (most times), but not in the "I've switched on Windows Firewall and now I'm guessing things might be happening" sort of way. I like the control).
AVG Free Edition
Occasionally Spybot and Adaware, but they rarely find anything of consequence and I rarely remember to start them up.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']XP firewall isn't that bad. Sure you could do better, but combined with other means, it will work.[/quote]
That I will agree on but XP firewall is anything but robust. It only monitors/blocks incoming traffic only. So if your antivirus fails and you get infected and become a spambot, the virus has full reign to send anything outbound. And if that happens, most ISP's will shut your connection off until you address it.

bread's done
Back