What famous people have you met?

Naomi Novik, author of the Temeraire series. She came to a library in Philly. Met her, got a picture, and she signed my book. Total sweetheart.

The drummer (Paul Koehler) and lead singer (Shane Told) of the band Silverstein after a show. Really nice guys.

I believe the bassist of the band All Time Low, right before they blew up, at a party in MD. Very nice and down to earth guy. Hope he stayed that way.

Last, but certainly not least. In fact most important.
Lead singer of the band Blind Guardian (Hansi Kürsch) right as he was about to get on his tour bus I was the last one he signed anything for and he signed my shirt. I kind of just stood there in awe as I spouted how much I love him and BG and I like to think he just smiled wearily, but I can't exactly remember because I was in such shock. I completely understand though, he's getting old, it was a late show, absolutely FREEZING, and he had been standing outside with the fans that waited for them to come out for a long time.

Also numerous autographs other people got for me...Highlights include Cal Ripken Jr, Sean Astin, John Rhys Davies and Andy Serkis.

I've met a couple of bands, and had my picture taken with them all:

They Might Be Giants
Spiraling
OK Go

As for non-musicians, I met several Power Rangers this past August (which makes sense, since it was a Power Ranger convention). I got autographs with several, and my picture taken with most. Here's the list, even though no one cares:

Dr. Jason Narvy - Skull
Walter Jones - Zach (MMPR Black)
Jason David Frank - Tommy (MMPR Green/White)
Catherine Sutherland - Kat (2nd MMPR Pink)
Steve Cardenas - Rocky (2nd MMPR Red)
Blake Foster - Justin (Turbo Blue)
Tracy Lynn Cruz - Ashley (Turbo/Space Yellow)
Cerina Vincent - Maya (Galaxy Yellow)
Monica May - Z (SPD Yellow)

I also met Barbara Goodson (voice of Rita Repulsa) and Robert Axelrod (voice of Lord Zedd), and got autographs but no pictures. I'm also going to be meeting David Yost (Billy, Blue MMPR) at the end of April.

I have a few famous ppl stories, but this is 1 of my favorites I was freestylin at a party/talent show... having a blast messing around trying to save my best written rhymes for later (I was in the talent portion) and there are about three or four guys trading rhymes in a cypher/circle. The music is loud so we can barely hear each other, but it was like a for the love of hip hop thing everybody leaning close to listen. Long story short... lights come up, music goes down and I had been trading verses with Pharrell Williams. Its 2000 so he was still up and coming, but there he was trucker hat and all to judge the talent portion. Nice guy.

Bands that I've met
Nine Inch Nails - Donation which let me meet them and watch show on stage while they performed during wave goodbye tour.
Thrice, Hoobastank, My Chemical Romance, Coheed and Cambria, Disturbed, Andrew WK, Chevelle, Filter, 30 Seconds To Mars

UFC FIghters - All with signed UFC gloves
Randy Couture, Chuck Liddell, Shogun Rua, Jon "Bones" Jones, Urijah Faber, Frankie Edgar, Stephan Bonnar, Dominick Cruz, Clay Guida, Rashad Evans, Brendan Schaub

Celebs - All have pics with and some autos mixed in
Al Pacino, Adrian Brody, Christopher Walken, Sam Rockwell, Donald Trump, Kiefer Sutherland, Malcolm Mcdowell, Gary Busey, Jake Busey, Chris Noth, Brian Cox, Jason Patric, Jim Gaffigan, Norm Macdonald, Ice T, John Stamos, Jon Hamm, Billy Joe Armstrong, Seth McFarlane, Kevin Smith, Brendan Frasier, Jeff Ross, Louis CK, Gilbert Gottfried, Mike "The Situation" Sorrentino, Jim Jefferries, Lisa Lampanelli, Jim Norton, Opie and Anthony, Patrice O'Neal, Norman Reedus, Sean Patrick Flannery, Ernie Hudson

I might have forgotten a few....

I met Robin Thicke when I worked as a valet. I'm not into his music so I didn't really know he existed until then. He told me who he was, asked if I knew his music and stuff as we waited for his ride. He gave me $50 or something like that and told me to split it with the other valet, which I naturally kept for myself.

Only pro wrestlers from the mid to late 80's and very early 90's, including(but not limited to Hacksaw Jim Duggan, Bam Bam Bigelow and Owen Hart, back when he was wearing as mask as the Blue Blazer).

Barack Obama

Meg White used to frequent a place I bartended at years ago.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "famous." The only person I've ever been so struck by that I couldn't form a coherent sentence was Mick Foley (both fucking times, mind you). I've met dozens of other 'famous' people otherwise.

I don't do autographs. Too weird to me.

EDIT: For completeness sake: famous people I've tried to start fistfights with: The Offspring and Orgy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Authors:
George R. R. Martin
Cory Doctorow

Others:
Bill Goldberg
Tom Selleck
SheDAISY (the whole group)
Michael Reagan (son of fmr Pres. Reagan)
Gary Sinise
Josh Blue and John Heffron from Last Comic Standing
Jerry Lawler (pre-WWF days, when he was an active wrestler)
Bill Engvall
Taylor Hicks (American Idol)

Met Tome DeLonge and the rest of the guys of Angels & Airwaves at a concert earlier this year - really nice guys.

I also once walked right past Tim Kingsbury of Arcade Fire fame at a concert. It was the weirdest thing, he had apparently gone out into the stands to meet up with someone but I'd never seen anyone do anything like that before a show. Woulda shaken his hand and all that but I actually had to do a double-take because it took me by surprise, and then I didn't want to try to follow him and seem like an ass :)

A bunch of bands...(Lacuna Coil a bunch of times, , Black Label Society, Arch Enemy, Killswitch Engage, Tony Iommi,Geezer Butler,Kerry King, Phil Anselmo, Rob Zombie (Educated Horses era band)

Will Smith (at Ozzfest oddly..when his wife tried to have a metal band)
Bam Bam Bigelow

I had a very brief phone conversation with Batista back in (I think) 2008 when my fiancee' met him during a business trip. I was pretty much dumb struck and forgot to congratulate him for stealing the show (with Undertaker's help) during whatever Wrestlemania they battled at.

I tried to run down Raven and Saturn after a WCW Thunder show in 1998 but they did not slow down. I even tried to call Raven by his real name as if that would help. I was a Smarky kid.

Way back in 1993ish I met R.A. Salvatore at a book release for his newest Drizzt Do'Urden book (Legacy I think). I was only like 13 at the time so we didn't really talk about anything.

I once posted in a CAG Star Trek thread that featured posts by the nephew (?) of the guy who played Chakotay in Voyager.

I've met a few pro ball players but that's it.

One of my best friends claims to have nabbed Eddie Vedder's wallet back in like, 1992 (Vedder was apparently crowd surfing when he stole it).

I used work at the accounting firm that did the taxes for ex-Temple Owls coach John Chaney. It was never fun becase if I was dropping them off before April 1, (which was every single time) it means he just lost in the NCAA Tourney, and was not happy.

It was the same greeting..."Sorry, Coach...you were robbed. And not just in the tournament."

I had a drink with Diamond Dallas Paige DDP, in a bar in Athens Ohio when I was in college.

Also, my wife got elbowed in the back of the head at Applebee's by Mark McGwire in 1998.

Was about 10 feet from Ozzy back stage at Ozzy Fest in the 90's when Sharon slapped the shit outta him
to wake him up to get up and go out and perform. That same day, me and my friend took Montley Crue to McDonalds for a burger run.

Oh, and met all the members of The Kids in the Hall at their concert in Cincinnati

[quote name='jousley']I had a drink with Diamond Dallas Paige DDP, in a bar in Athens Ohio when I was in college.[/QUOTE]

What bar? I just moved from Athens this past August.

Did WCW do a show there? It's so out in the middle of nowhere I can't imagine him just being there for no reason.

[quote name='jousley']That same day, me and my friend took Montley Crue to McDonalds for a burger run. [/QUOTE]
That reminds me, about 20 years ago I saw 3 of either the Statler Bros or the Oak Ridge Boys walking the 3/4 miles of frontage road between their Motel 8 and the nearby McDonald's.

I've always wondered what they discussed on that walk. My guess is McRibs, and maybe they hummed to Daddy Sang Bass/Elvira on the way.

Met a bunch of people from a bunch of bands, including the lead singer from 40 below summer and other small-ish bands.

Most cool one was bill murray at newark airport soon after groundhogs day came out, I was young. Got a picture with him, actually 2 of them. After the first one he suggested taking another in a more sun-lite area so the picture comes out good. Very nice guy.

[quote name='chimpian']Most cool one was bill murray at newark airport soon after groundhogs day came out, I was young. Got a picture with him, actually 2 of them. After the first one he suggested taking another in a more sun-lite area so the picture comes out good. Very nice guy.[/QUOTE]

None of us believe you.

[quote name='mykevermin']What bar? I just moved from Athens this past August.

Did WCW do a show there? It's so out in the middle of nowhere I can't imagine him just being there for no reason.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, they did a show at the Convo. It was the Greenery. There were a few wrestlers there. DDP was the coolest. I also remember seeing Perry Saturn there and Dean Malenko was drunk off his ASS and trying to start trouble with some people....he looked so small in real life. Also there was a "Russian" wrestler there and I don't remember if it was Nikita or Nikoli...but it was funny because the drunker he got, the better his English became. ;)

I don't want to brag or anything, but I met Keanu Reeves at a Perkins in PA when I was a kid, lol. He was there with his band Dog Night or whatever they were. Very nice guy and funny. He was talking to me at the salad bar about which plant he should steal for his tour bus. He gave us his autograph as well, but I never hung on to it.

I have met a few others through the years at racing events, mostly drivers and riders. I have met pretty much every AMA sport bike rider including Danny Eslick and Matt Mladdin.

Other notables include:
-Bill Clinton (during the Chelsea wedding frenzy) (shook hands and took a photo of him)
-Paul Newman (shook hands and spoke to him for a while about car racing. This was at Lime Rock during a Trans-Am race that he was driving in... goes without saying, but he was still alive at the time :) )

[quote name='dothog']That reminds me, about 20 years ago I saw 3 of either the Statler Bros or the Oak Ridge Boys walking the 3/4 miles of frontage road between their Motel 8 and the nearby McDonald's.

I've always wondered what they discussed on that walk. My guess is McRibs, and maybe they hummed to Daddy Sang Bass/Elvira on the way.[/QUOTE]

"Hey guys, you know what just popped into my head?"
"The McRib's deliciousness?"
"No, I was thinking more along the lines of 'Oom poppa mow mow.'"
"Oh man! I was JUST thinking that too!!!"

Back in the early '90s I went to a East-West Shriners football game at Stanford university when I was in the Boy Scouts (had to work as an usher at the game) and for the half-time show they drove Neil Patrick Harris around the field in the back of a Jeep. That's as close as I ever got to meeting a celebrity. :(

[quote name='niceguyshawne']Was he all like, "Hello, is it me you're looking for?"[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

I met Buster Douglas and Evander Holyfield at Universal Studios for a promo before their fight. I don't think it was well advertised because not a lot of people were there (only a few tourists and a handful of young kids). :lol:

I also met a lot of Asian superstars during my travels throughout Southeast Asia.

Have literally never met a single famous person, despite living near LA.

And I wish people would say what the celeb was actually like, instead of just listing who they've met. Who is nice and who's not? Spill! :lol:

[quote name='AshesofWake']Matt Groening(sp? The simpsons guy)
blah
blah
blah
Maynard James Keenan

all i can think of...and even more, all of those meetings where really random...[/QUOTE]

Umm I hate you. (just jealous)

What happened? Gimme gimme details about your encounter w/ MJK.

I guess I've met a few, mostly in sports and hip hop.

Kareem Abdul Jabbar (jerk)
Bob Costas
Steven Jackson (Pro Bowl running back)
Damon Stoudemire
Nate Dogg
Kurupt
De La Soul
Warren G-INCREDIBLY nice
Rahzel
Stanford Bball Coach and former NBA Player Johnny Dawkins
Common
Cliffy B
Peter Molyneux
PMOTY Jodi-Ann Paterson (aired alongside her in student media)
Nick Barnett-Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packer MLB-Good friends with him

...probably a few more athletes and musicians.

I was on my way to the Post Office from my apartment one Saturday morning when I saw Bruce Willis standing about 10 feet away from me. I didn't get a chance to greet him or anything since I was holding a pretty big box and I thought it would be awkward.
It turned out that "A Couple of Cops" was being filmed in my neighborhood.
I tried to see if Tracy Morgan was around but couldn't find him.

Also, I saw Will Estes acting in a scene in my neighborhood when an episode of Blue Bloods was being filmed.
Didn't see Tom Selleck.

My list is way too long to remeber from when I was an on-air personality at a rock station. So many musicians like David Lee Roth, Bad Company, 311, Beck, etc.

Got drunk with Jackyl
Played soccer with Def Leppard
Ate dinner with ZZ Top

Met dozens of playmates, flipped burgers with The Rock (smell what he is cooking), Mankind,

Interviewed Nicole Bass, Larry Holmes,

[quote name='dothog']None of us believe you.[/QUOTE]

Oh I believe him. Bill Murray is a class act 95% of the time, I've bumped into him at a bunch of St. Paul Saints games and was behind his group on a golf course once as well.

My list goes like:
pretty much every noteworthy metal band of the 90's
Amanda Palmer and Neil Gaiman while on a dog walk (post marriage)
Fancy Ray
tons of MN sports players
everyone on the Pledge of Allegiance tour (Slipknot, Velvet Revolver, Nashville Pussy, etc...)
Abbath and Horgh from Immortal (funniest guys in the world, they should have their own reality show)
most of the on-air talent at the MN Fox outlet (they're not the same as the national Fox news, I swear)

[quote name='Xevious']John Malkovich[/QUOTE]

I grew up less than 10 miles from his hometown. Never met him though.

As for who I've met:
Lamb of God at Ozzfest in 07 or 08
George RR Martin
Gabriel Iglesias

Can't really think of anyone else right now.

Roseanne was supposedly browsing CDs at the record store by the Penney's at this mall I was at. This would've been ~17-18 years ago. I wasn't in that store, I was all the way over by the Food Court, but news got to us pretty fast.

Later that evening, I thought I saw her disappear around a corner toward the big fountain area, but it's hard to say. It was an exciting event.

I've met a bunch of musicians mostly in metal bands and a few country groups. Wrestling personalities and actors great people.

Musicians:
Chris Volz(Flaw)
Lead Singer of Shadows Fall(Have autograph)
Guitar player from Drowning Pool(Real nice guy)
Sara Evans(Autographed my Chicago Bulls hat)
Brent(Lead Singer of Shinedown) Really nice dude talked to him while his grandmothers were coming out of the floor after their set and must say he is a real nice guy shook hands and real family oriented person. This was when they had just got their start.
Peelander-Z(Japanese comic punk band) Nice guys my band was passing out rough demo's and we gave one to them and Peelander Yellow actually pulled out his wallet and tried to pay us for it. We told him it was a gift and thanked them for their hospitality.

Nitro Girls(WCW autographed my ticket stub and a pack of WCW playing cards)
Jimmy Hart(One of the nicest guys I've ever met we sat and talked about Hulk Hogan and all his managerial days for about 5 minutes)
Scott Norton(WCW NWO group Buff and Stuff nice guy as well)
Raven(He was a douche wouldn't even talk to me just kept walking this was at a convention and was half tempted to challenge him to a Ravens Rules match for the heck of it. They had a ring set up)

Actors:
Billy Dee Williams(Sat next to him at a star wars themed wedding at a convention called Adventurecon. Video actually aired on Tru tv as one of the dumbest things on tv. However, It was really nice and the video is on Youtube)
Don't know his name he was the little guy from Pirates of the Carribean and Scrubs( Nice guy)
Vic Mignona(Voice of characters from Full Metal Panic(Kurz Weber) and Full Metal Alchemist(Col. Mustang)
Caitlan Glass(Winry from Full metal alchemist she was in costume. Nice person.
Wrestlers:

I dont know if I count because I work in a business that puts me with them all the time.

John Elway, Steve Yzerman (I also got to take a pic with the REAL Stanley cup after the wings won it a couple years ago) , Calvin Johnson (who actually injured me pretty bad when he ran over me while I was shooting in the endzone) The BUS, etc etc. Macy Gray, Erykah Badu, Royce da 5'9, most of the D12 crew before half of them were shot and killed, Gorge Clooney, Flavor Flav, John Salley....I could go on but I barely remember half of them.

The catch 22 about myself is that I my bosses put me on gigs with celeb because they know I really dont give a crap and wont get star struck.

I have met mostly sports folks.

Terry Mills former Detroit Pistons and University of Michigan basketball player (met him out shopping and was very easy to talk to)
Jalen Rose and Chris Webber pre fab five (they played in a basketball camp at my middle school which was a basketball mecca during the 1990's St. Cecilia in Detroit. They were cool to be around)
Reggie Bush (tried not to draw attention to himself when he at his hotel in town.)
A lot more that I will try to list when I get near a computer.

Schwarzenegger (was in town for a "Keep da keeds off da streets" speech at an elementary school, I was covering it for a radio station)

I'll just lump in the wrestlers here together...barely count these since they were autograph sessions: Undertaker, Ric Flair, Eric Bischoff, Mean Gene, Kevin Nash, Chris Jericho (was a much appreciated last-minute replacement for Lex Luger), Elizabeth (was w/ Jericho, & incredibly nice), Bill Goldberg, a big chunk of the ECW roster in '97, & Bobby Heenan (who was probably the best of the bunch, as he was completely "on" with everyone and was hilarious)

Matt Millen, about 5 years ago at the airport. Yes, I'm from the Detroit area. No, I didn't kill him. Unfortunately

Every member of Type O Negative...except Peter. That one still hurts since there's no chance of it happening now.

Met/talked to Dave Brockie (Oderus Urungus) and a bunch of guys from Gwar at a comic convention here.

Some friends and I got to hang out with Glenn Danzig on his tour bus (briefly, just like 5 minutes)

Devin Townsend (after a concert), who was the coolest guy ever. When we left, it's because we left, not because he said he had to go. Stood out there and bullshitted with my friend and I along with 3 other people for as long as we wanted.

Hank Williams III - pretty incredible since he had just finished around a 45 song setlist. Signed/took pics with whoever wanted 'em.

Oh yeah, and those guys that did MMMBop. Cough.

Captain Lou (WWF) Playing the money wheel in Atlantic City (and yes he had the rubber bands on his face)
Lawrence Taylor - Shot craps with him for about an hour in Atlantic City back in the early 90's.

[quote name='HarryManback']Umm I hate you. (just jealous)

What happened? Gimme gimme details about your encounter w/ MJK.[/QUOTE]

haha, it wasn't that amazing tbh. im not that crazy about the guy personally. But it was for a Wine bottle signing for his Merkin and Arizona Stronghold vineyards wines. It was at Whole Foods, I got 2 bottles signed, he was nice. gave some advice on the best way to store the wines I bought and I met the other guy, Eric? That he's partners with for his vineyards in Blood Into Wine. He was just really really tired from signing all those bottles haha, definitely didnt seem into it, but nice as he could be. His bodyguards wouldn't let anybody shake his hand *shrug*

[quote name='dothog']None of us believe you.[/QUOTE]

i could give 2 shits.

Id dig out the picture but i have no idea where it is.

[quote name='seanr1221']Mr T.[/QUOTE]

I've met a few celebs, but the only one i'd have anything to say about is Mr T.
He's by far the nicest, most hilarious talkative fellow.

Ben Affleck - at a coffee shop. The guy is a lot bigger in person than I would have thought. His head is especially huge. Nice guy, friendly, looks you in the eye when he's talking to you.

Jerry Seinfeld - at an ice cream shop. He was having a bad day. I offered to buy him a scoop to cheer him up. He laughed.

Snoop Dogg - on a street in Miami. We were crossing paths on a crowded sidewalk. He was getting chased by paparazzi. I didn't even realize who he was, or what was going on. One of the photographers yelled, "Move!" at me. I said, "fuck you, you move!" and Snoop said, "Fo' real" or something like that. In retrospect that was a funny moment, but at the time I was just frustrated.

Randy Moss - went to school with my sister. Randy was always an asshole long before he ever picked up a football.

I've never asked for an autograph. I always thought if I was famous, I'd hate that. I usually just say, "I like what you do." or something along those lines. If they're visiting my hometown, I tell them, "Welcome." in hopes of redeeming some other idiot's, "Hey! Look at you!" so they don't have a horrible impression when they leave.

[quote name='chimpian']i could give 2 shits.

Id dig out the picture but i have no idea where it is.[/QUOTE]

Nothing personal, chimp.

0cbacdf0-b9a9-4609-b338-7a584b0428e0-4071.png

bread's done
Back