What game did you own that you are now kicking yourself for trading/selling/losing?

thecoryjihad

CAGiversary!
Feedback
44 (84%)
This is a spin off of my previous thread about coveted gaming possessions.

What game/gaming related piece are you kicking yourself for selling or trading or losing?

For me, it was anything and everything related to my PS2. I had some great games for it and my brother converted me to the original Xbox when that first came out. In the midst of my new console flurry, I traded my PS2 and all of my games(aside from MVC2, I hung on to that bugger) in on a few Xbox games at Electronics Boutique, before the imminent GameStop monarchy.

Looking back, I really wish I would've held on to the system and all of my games, mainly so I could play Twisted Metal:Black(a definite guilty pleasure game). I had a PS2 since it first released and it just feels like there's been a void on my shelf ever since the unit left.

And that's my story.

About a year ago i sold off my 360 and all my games to move to PS3. A year later my PS3 broke and I went back to 360, since none of my friends had a PS3 and they all had a 360. My regret is selling the 360 in the first place, especially since I just don't like the 360 Slims. They're advertised as being whisper quiet, but the damn power brick is so noisy that it pisses me off. Personally I always thought the older 360s were quieter (while idle I mean).

The only thing I'm really kicking myself for at this point is N64 games. Complete games like Starfox or Yoshi's Island that I will get back one of these days, but I got them new at the time, and damnit I shouldn't be looking for them now! lol

Earthbound, Dracula X and Chrono Trigger for the SNES
Throughout the years I have also owned and sold 6 different complete copies of Panzer Dragoon Saga....wish I would have kept one of them.

I don't really regret selling games, as pretty much every game I've sold has dropped it price later on so I still made out well in the end when I repurchased them. The only thing that bothers me is that later on down the road the used copies are pretty much never in the condition you originally had them in. For example I traded in my complete copy of Diddy Kong Racing for the N64 years ago for a good sum of money and I re-bought it for only a couple of bucks, but the copy I picked up later on was cart only as pretty much no one kept their N64 boxes.

I've sold a bit here and there by I'm know for my willingness to give things away while I consume beverages. This was the case a year or so ago when I gave 3 random guys a complete black label copy of Final Fantasy VII apiece. I may have given them a few more games too, that night is still pretty hazy.

Not as dramatic as others, but years ago I traded in one of my favorite Genesis games of all time, Warsong. It wasn't so much that I got rid of it, but it was a pristine copy and I only got $1.50 in Funcoland store credit. That's the last time I traded in a game that I liked.

[quote name='Otherguy676']I've sold a bit here and there by I'm know for my willingness to give things away while I consume beverages. This was the case a year or so ago when I gave 3 random guys a complete black label copy of Final Fantasy VII apiece. I may have given them a few more games too, that night is still pretty hazy.[/QUOTE]

I'd like to buy you a drink sometime.

[quote name='salty tbone']Not as dramatic as others, but years ago I traded in one of my favorite Genesis games of all time, Warsong. It wasn't so much that I got rid of it, but it was a pristine copy and I only got $1.50 in Funcoland store credit. That's the last time I traded in a game that I liked.

I'd like to buy you a drink sometime.[/QUOTE]

I'll second that. Make sure we're near his games though.

For me it's not as serious as some of the others. I bough Magna Carta for PS2 as a new release and for some reason I gave it less time to grow on me than other games. The battle system annoyed me for some reason but I think I just didn't give it time. I traded it back to Gamestop that week for like 30 something dollars. I regret it more for missing out on the experience of the game than caring about collecting it as a title.

Sold my original Nintendo with about 40 games when I was in high school for like $50.

I've been searching Goodwills and Thrift Stores for an NES and slowly re-buying all the games I sold off of eBay to fill the hole in my heart. :whistle2:(

past friends in H.S borrowed my lunars , xeno, valk prof, vagrant and Einhander. I never saw those games again. I had to reaquire them through trades and ebay a few years back

I have a few of those:

Darkstalkers Chronicles for matching service for DC

Bust A Groove 1 and 2 US Version PS1 (I still have those 2 games on import though)

Legend of Zelda N64 Gold Cart Complete (I regret this because I had the version with the original fire temple song, and the RED blood for Ganon)

Zelda Collector's Edition Gamecube

Gameboy Advance SP NES Edition

I had a mint complete copy of Earthbound (oversize box and player's guide) and I sold it off at a rummage sale for $40. This was probably about 1996.

Six months to a year later, I saw the game on clearance at Best Buy (the oversize box and all) for $6 (I think it was $5.95). So, I bought one and went over to Funcoland (I don't know why--I always hated them) and traded it in for about $40 in their credit--I guess it was just for the feeling of making a profit.

I went back to BB and bought the last two copies of Earthbound but I couldn't go back to Funcoland until a week later. The next time I got to the store the value had dropped to $10 . . . I took the $20.

This was before I knew anything about ebay. My wife and I were living in an apartment and we were going to be moving soon and I was in a real purge mood.

A complete copy of Earthbound and 3 sealed ones. I don't want to think about how much money I could have gotten for these later.

Let's see:

1. Tossing out SNES boxes like Earthbound, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 3, Aerobiz etc.
2. Giving stuff like Final Fantasy nes and both Legend of Zelda games to Good Will. For a long time I thought nes games had little to no value.
3. Trading stuff like Super Metroid, Mystic Ninja, Robotrek and (?) E.V.O. in for peanuts.
4. Trading in Legend of the Dragoon for $7 and buying Overblood :drool:

Not as bad as some folks, but that Earthbound box was the last box I tossed--I had kept it for years and then tossed it :hot:

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']Let's see:

1. Tossing out SNES boxes like Earthbound, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 3, Aerobiz etc.
2. Giving stuff like Final Fantasy nes and both Legend of Zelda games to Good Will. For a long time I thought nes games had little to no value.
3. Trading stuff like Super Metroid, Mystic Ninja, Robotrek and (?) E.V.O. in for peanuts.
4. Trading in Legend of the Dragoon for $7 and buying Overblood :drool:

Not as bad as some folks, but that Earthbound box was the last box I tossed--I had kept it for years and then tossed it :hot:[/QUOTE]

I tossed out all my boxes b/c gamestop wouldn't take them... If only I knew the value of those boxes when I was a kid...

Instead of giving my NES games to good will, I actually dumped them because my mom wanted to clean up...

Now i know better, but still :wall:

I learned my lesson back in 4th grade when we sold the NES and got a Genesis. I've basically kept every single game I've ever owned since then, and tracked most of the NES titles I remember playing (I don't have Where in Time is Carmen Sandiego, but we didn't play it much and I suspect it hasn't held up well.)

I did, however, once discover my copies of Super Mario RPG and Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past were missing. I suspect my brother, but lacking anything resembling proof, I just replaced them.

Just after high school, I lent Final Fantasy 7 and Brave Fencer Musashi to a friend who moved shortly thereafter, and I lost touch with her. I suspect her little brother took then from her, though, as he'd tried to take them from me before (what is it with brothers and games, anyway?). Luckily, this was several years ago, so I got replacements for both before the prices on 7 skyrocketed.

I thought I'd lost Super Puzzle Fighter on the GBA, but found it stuck in a DS case about a year or two after buying another copy. Not sure what to do with the second one now...

A lot of PSone games I owned when younger that I got for cheap I wish I would've kept instead of either giving them to a friend or selling them on eBay long ago...

Valkyrie Profile, Suikoden I and II, Persona, Persona 2, Intelligent qube, Final Fantasy VII black label.

Some Sega Saturn games, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Shining Force III.

Snes Games(all complete): Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy II and III, the one, I REGRET THE MOST, Earthbound that was in a giant box and came with a bunch of stuff..... I gave it to a friend for a Birthday present and he moved away a few months later and I haven't heard from him since. (I was around 10 or 11).

Well, the GS B2G2 sale reminded me that I have misplaced most of my GBA, and older DS games at home. They're hiding somewhere, and I have an itch to play Mr. Driller, Tiny Toons Wacky Stackers, plus all my Super Mario Advances & Yoshi's Island.

But I really, really, want to find my GBA Sonic Pinball Party right now! Grrrr.

Of course, what I've also blocked out of mind is a box of Atari 2600 games that included Pac Man and Super Breakout that my dad threw out (I think, since he can neither confirm, nor deny) along with the console. *shakes fist* This is in addition to the seething that lingers from when the original boxes they came in were long tossed by said person. *explodes*

Thanks OP.

[quote name='Beatofficer']A lot of PSone games I owned when younger that I got for cheap I wish I would've kept instead of either giving them to a friend or selling them on eBay long ago...

Valkyrie Profile, Suikoden I and II, Persona, Persona 2, Intelligent qube, Final Fantasy VII black label.

Snes Games(all complete): Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy II and III, the one, I REGRET THE MOST, Earthbound that was in a giant box and came with a bunch of stuff..... I gave it to a friend for a Birthday present and he moved away a few months later and I haven't heard from him since. (I was around 10 or 11).[/QUOTE]

I totally forgot about Intelligent Qube! I loved that game. It almost has a Portalesque vibe to it. Kicking myself in the ass right now for trading that game oh so long ago.

[quote name='DuelLadyS']I learned my lesson back in 4th grade when we sold the NES and got a Genesis. I've basically kept every single game I've ever owned since then, and tracked most of the NES titles I remember playing (I don't have Where in Time is Carmen Sandiego, but we didn't play it much and I suspect it hasn't held up well.)

I did, however, once discover my copies of Super Mario RPG and Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past were missing. I suspect my brother, but lacking anything resembling proof, I just replaced them.

Just after high school, I lent Final Fantasy 7 and Brave Fencer Musashi to a friend who moved shortly thereafter, and I lost touch with her. I suspect her little brother took then from her, though, as he'd tried to take them from me before (what is it with brothers and games, anyway?). Luckily, this was several years ago, so I got replacements for both before the prices on 7 skyrocketed.

I thought I'd lost Super Puzzle Fighter on the GBA, but found it stuck in a DS case about a year or two after buying another copy. Not sure what to do with the second one now...[/QUOTE]

Umm....yeah....BTW, I LOVE your work on the TV show "Monk".

I regret almost every game I've ever traded. But most of all I am kicking myself in the head for trading off all those copies of FFVII that I bought brand new at walmart when I was like 11 or so. I would buy one and play it and then trade it to a friend, couple weeks later go get another one, rinse and repeat about 10 times. I know I opened atleast 10 copies from that store, 3-4 being GH versions. But if I would have known their value would have jumped up that far I'm sure I would have cleaned out the store and kept them all.

I always wish I had taken better care of my games as a kid. I have almost none of the SNES, Gameboy, and Game Boy Color games I grew up with. I also wish my dad hadn't gotten rid of all of his N64 games since most of the ones I loved as a kid (Zeldas, Mario 64, Perfect Dark, Conker, etc) all belonged to him, so what I have left is mostly duds and Star Fox. I also wish my mom hadn't gotten rid of all of our Genesis games once our Genesis stopped working during the N64/PS1 era.

This isn't a trade regret but I really do regret NOT buying more sealed copies of Pikmin 2 when I saw at least 6-7 copies for 9.99 on a Sears clearance.

I haven't done anything too heinous, but I did sell the Hyperdimension Neptunia LE + cards set from the NISA store a week after release for a few dollars over what I paid for it. I hated Neptunia with the fury of many suns (it's one of the worst games and the worst JRPG I've played this gen) and just wanted it gone, fearing that others would share my opinion, negative word of mouth would get around, and it would tank. Not only is it OOS almost everywhere at full retail now, but the NISA-exclusive deck of cards has been known to sell for as much as, if not more than, the actual game. I'll never let my personal hatred of a game cloud my judgment like that again :bomb:

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']I always wish I had taken better care of my games as a kid. I have almost none of the SNES, Gameboy, and Game Boy Color games I grew up with. I also wish my dad hadn't gotten rid of all of his N64 games since most of the ones I loved as a kid (Zeldas, Mario 64, Perfect Dark, Conker, etc) all belonged to him, so what I have left is mostly duds and Star Fox. I also wish my mom hadn't gotten rid of all of our Genesis games once our Genesis stopped working during the N64/PS1 era.[/QUOTE]

This is mostly how I feel.

I wish I had taken care of my GB cases and SNES cases.

I don't really regret trading/selling/losing anything, except Pokemon Blue, because I used to keep every game I bought. Even the shit ones that I would never ever touch again. Now I only keep the good ones. Though I do remember buying Budokai three times in one console life span. Bought it once, lost it, Bought it again, traded it, and started missing it so I bought it again. All before Budokai 3 even came out.

Easily Super Mario RPG, but I somewhat regret turning all my old school collection (NES, SNES, Genesis, Sega CD) into cash. Granted I'd never play them again, but it would have been fun just putting them on display or something someday.

traded in 2 complete copy of pokemon emerald to fund a bus ticket away from my folks. i also cant find i had a lot of complete pokemon boxes i dont know where are and my folks wont look

damnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

[quote name='Beatofficer']A lot of PSone games I owned when younger that I got for cheap I wish I would've kept instead of either giving them to a friend or selling them on eBay long ago...

Snes Games(all complete): Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy II and III, the one, I REGRET THE MOST, Earthbound that was in a giant box and came with a bunch of stuff..... I gave it to a friend for a Birthday present and he moved away a few months later and I haven't heard from him since. (I was around 10 or 11).[/QUOTE]

Ouch, some of those PSone losses sting just looking at them; actually a few of the games from my collection felt the need to get together and hold a memorial service.

GroupHug1.jpg

"Let us not forget our fallen comrades!"

GroupHug2.jpg

Notice how Let's be Positive stands regally with her yellow Pre-owned sticker. And that's the one sticker'd case I'll never replace because it took me something like two years to find the game at Gamestop. It's a badge of honor! :hot:

Back in the day... trading in our complete collections of NES and SNES games/consoles for two PS2's... to GAMESTOP... we were kids, what did we know?

Also more recently, trading in ICO a few years ago because I hated it, to GS as well. Little did I know that it was a rare game.

I need the first two Persona games to have all English SMT games aside from the Gameboy one which I have never even seen a complete copy of. Soon, soon....lol

SNES MINI I had one of the last production ones and traded in for like $20. I recently bought one off Ebay and it came dirty as hell and missing the a/v cable (for $40).

All my systems really except Gamecube & Xbox (SNES MINI, NES, Dreamcast, N64)

Tales of Destiny is the one that really burns me. Mainly since people want to sell it now for such an incredibly high price. I want to play a freaking game, not refinance my house.

There's a couple scenarios I regret.

The first is getting rid of all of my N64 stuff. I had about 20 games. all complete (nothing super rare), 4 controllers, the expansion pack, rumble packs, mem cards. I had started getting a bunch of PS2 stuff and just didn't have space in my room for it, so I gave all of it away.

The second is when my brother decided to sell all of his PS1 and Saturn games to Funcoland. He had a lot of rare titles: FFVII, Suikoden II, Valkyrie Profile, Intelligent Qube, Xenogears, Vagrant Story, Tactics Ogre, Azure Dreams, and a bunch of other RPG for PS1, and Panzer Dragoon Saga, Guardian Heroes, Dragon Force, and some others for Saturn. I still wanted to play through some of them so I told him not to sell them yet. He offered to just give it all to me for $50, but I didn't want them *that* bad at the time and wasn't really a collector yet, so he traded them all in. I still kick myself for letting that stuff go. The only one of those games I've managed to get again is FFVII, and that's only because my wife had it when I met her. I saw Xenogears at a yard sale once but they wanted $40 for it.

[quote name='kiyomasa']I tossed out all my boxes b/c gamestop wouldn't take them... If only I knew the value of those boxes when I was a kid...
[/QUOTE]

This was the thing I hated most about Funcoland.

I didn't play console games from 1984-92 . . . I was too busy with college, beer, friends and women. But I got an SNES in late 1992 and I was looking for cheap games in NYC. I discovered a few small game shops . . . one was near South Street Seaport and run by this very cool Chinese guy.

He charged more when you bought a complete game and paid more when you traded in complete games--so people took better care of their games.

fuckland really destroyed the incentive for people to keep boxes . . . damn, I hate those bastards.

Last edited by a moderator:
mass effect 2. in the 14 months since it came out, i bought it on release day, traded it, bought a used one, traded it for red dead redemption, and bought it for a 3rd time in october. havent touched the discs since buying it but.... i am keeping it

[quote name='Zaku77']I need the first two Persona games to have all English SMT games aside from the Gameboy one which I have never even seen a complete copy of. Soon, soon....lol[/QUOTE]

Good luck finding them at a decent price; the internet surely helps but back in the dark ages I'd see Persona 2 for $60 at Kmart and then it would disappear from the local scene...forever.

I had a sealed Mass Effect as a gift but didnt have a 360. I gave it to my girlfriend who later sold it to a coworker.

[quote name='sdclippers']i had a sealed mass effect as a gift but didnt have a 360. I gave it to my girlfriend who later sold it to a coworker.[/quote]

ce?

There is a few things I regret trading/selling.

Trading in my complete model 1 Sega Genesis and games to satan(gamestop)

Losing my Atari 2600 and collection of games during a move

Selling off my mint and complete N64 plus games for $50

Selling my Fat PS2 and collection for $80

I'm slowly trying to reclaim these lost possessions of mine and someday I'll have them all again........someday.

bread's done
Back