What game made the biggest impact this year in the Video Game market?

Kastides

Banned
Love it, or hate it, I think Halo 2 made the biggest impact this year.

Of course there are people that will point out that GTA SA: sold more copies but Halo 2 has confirmed MSoft as a major player in the Video game market.

FEATS:

1. Best Selling Xbox title
2. Most Played Online game
3. Helped MS secure more xbox live accounts then ever before.
4. Initialized a DLC that many other companies have not used.
5. Possible Movie Plot

[quote name='MightySlacker']Halo 2 was last year

Dave[/QUOTE]

This guy is such a huge Xbox fanboy that Halo 2 transcends years for him. In fact to him Halo 2 has had and will continue to have the biggest impact on video games for all of time.

It hasnt been a full year yet has it?

Im NO XBX Fanboy.. I just like North American/ Europe based Games

List your the game you think made the biggest impact.

[quote name='zionoverfire']The year is only half over, the game with the greatest impact will probably be an xbox 360 launch title.[/QUOTE]

One can only hope.

This year, I would probably say God of War. There hasn't been too much out yet though. I'm waiting for Shadow of the Colossus, Killer 7, and Kingdom Hearts 2.

I think Mercenaries made a pretty big impact by being one of the first (if not the only) game to successfully copy GTA's free roaming philosophy.

[quote name='Zer0']I think Mercenaries made a pretty big impact by being one of the first (if not the only) game to successfully copy GTA's free roaming philosophy.[/QUOTE]

Other games have used free roaming, Morrowind for example. Infact as far as free roaming is concerned Morrowind did a better job, all the buildings in GTA were hollow.

I don't think we could decide this yet, since the year isn't over. However, both Resident Evil 4 and God of War made a pretty good impact in the market (so far).

I suppose it depends how you're defining "largest impact on the market". I'd prefer to not base it on sales numbers as such a discussion would last about two minutes for someone to find said sales numbers and post the results. However when you have a game such as Katamari Damacy (which I realize was last year).. that can be considered to have had a major impact on the market.

A quirky, budget title that sold more than well enough to justify a sequel and show developers/producers that such games could be profitable enough to create. Hopefully we will see more of these quirky/different games coming out as a result.

As for this year.. its been terribly bland so far. I believe the only game I've bought that was released this year has been Fire Emblem.

Not to bash Halo 2 or anything, but your reasons for it having the biggest impact on the video game market aren't really convincing. First off as someone already pointed out, it was released last year. Also MS was already a legitimate contender in the VG industry well before Halo 2, in part thanks to the first Halo. You pointed out that the sales of GTA SA shouldn't be a deciding factor, so then why should the sales of Halo 2? Reasons 2-4 only really impact MS. As for the movie plot, dozens of games have generated plots for movies.

Zelda will make the biggest splash, more so than anything 360 related.

[quote name='Zer0']I think Mercenaries made a pretty big impact by being one of the first (if not the only) game to successfully copy GTA's free roaming philosophy.[/QUOTE]

I don't believe GTA established the "free roaming" philosophy. They did however establish the "free-roaming crime spree" philosophy.

So far, RE4, but that is probably just because I consider it the best game this year. I don't think many games have had an impact this year. Also as MightySlacker said, Halo 2 came out last year OP.

[quote name='help1']I would say SC:CT because thats really the only good game that came out in 2005.[/QUOTE]

(besides RE4, God of War, Meteos, Riviera, and others i can't think of)

[quote name='Apossum'](besides RE4, God of War, Meteos, Riviera, and others i can't think of)[/QUOTE]

*cough* LUMINES *cough*

And where have you been on Live?

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']*cough* LUMINES *cough*

And where have you been on Live?[/QUOTE]

yeah, that's the one....I think they put drugs in meteos to make you forget you ever played Lumines ;-)

man, I've lost all motivation to play Live-- after 200 hours of live DOA:U, i never want to play live again :lol: (until doa 4 comes out) and my headset broke and I've been too lazy to fix....I just play occasionally on the weekends(though not this one-- i'm playing killer 7 from start to finish as soon as i get it :D )

[quote name='help1']I would say SC:CT because thats really the only good game that came out in 2005.[/QUOTE]

It was also the top rated Xbox game "ever." So they preached. But it was also the funnest game and one of the most gorgeous looking games I have ever seen. In addition, the co-op was completely refreshing and new. I think the success of this game will help to incorporate more co-op in the future in games outside of FPS and hack-and-slashers.

Halo 2 was last year hehe. But Halo 2 had a huge impact on XBox live, and pushed the multiplayer experience. Which was enough for me.

Resident Evil 4 is the biggest game so far this year, Capcom really worked OT to take the series to the next level, and they will reap the rewards.

XBox wise, Chaos Theory so far this year.
PS2 from what everyone says is God of War.

Handheld, I'm going with Meteos for the DS so far, and for the PSP Lumnies.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Halo 2 was last year hehe. But Halo 2 had a huge impact on XBox live, and pushed the multiplayer experience. Which was enough for me.

Resident Evil 4 is the biggest game so far this year, Capcom really worked OT to take the series to the next level, and they will reap the rewards.

XBox wise, Chaos Theory so far this year.
PS2 from what everyone says is God of War.

Handheld, I'm going with Meteos for the DS so far, and for the PSP Lumnies.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you. Had RE 4 come out earlier on the GameCube cycle, maybe it would've been a different story for the console

[quote name='js1']RE 4 for me, It made me interested in my cube again! .[/QUOTE]

RE 4, for almost the same reason - it made me interested in games again.

I was getting burnt out on all these shitty rehashes and me-too games, and RE 4 is like a breath of fresh air - easily blew everything else in 2005 away so far.

RE 4 has got everything that makes a classic game, imo.

So far it's God of War for me... I can't remember the last time I played a game straight through every free second I had until I was done with it...

Lumines. Has there been any other must-have game for the PSP? I'd say that, if it weren't for Lumines, Sony's handheld future might be in jeopardy.

[quote name='sephitor']Lumines. Has there been any other must-have game for the PSP? I'd say that, if it weren't for Lumines, Sony's handheld future might be in jeopardy.[/QUOTE]

Hot Shots Golf is fantastic - it's better than Lumines, IMO. Anyone can learn to play in 5 seconds but to be great takes hours and hours of practice. There's always room for improvement... until you can shoot -22 on all 12 courses (and lower on others where you can reach the green on a par 4 off the tee) you can keep playing and playing...

bread's done
Back