What games are rare?

I think the simplest test for rarity is this...
If you have a copy of it, and didn't buy it at release or pay through the nose for it at some point, it probably isn't that rare.

[quote name='Ledhed'][quote name='Rozz']Kakuto Chojin....[/quote]

Limited retail availability does not a rare game make.[/quote]

I agree ... people just throw around the rare tag onto everything these days. What do you REALLY mean by rare? Games that have "value" (in my opinion Psychic Detective for PS1 has NO value but it apparently fetches a nice price on ebay) or games with low print runs?

[quote name='spyhunterk19'][quote name='MorPhiend'][quote name='opportunity777'][quote name='MorPhiend'][quote name='bignick']Ikaruga, shaq-fu, SMB/Duck hunt combo cart.[/quote]

Is SMB/DH really rare?!? And I didn't realize that Ikaruga had gone rare again. But I just did a quick search for it and even out of the few places that still have it listed (EB doesn't) it is OOS! That's one I guess I better not be loaning out.[/quote]

Yeah SMB / Duck Hunt is pretty rare. It's one of the more expensive NES games out there, and if you got one you are lucky. You can get over $50 without instructions or anything.[/quote]
What's the deal with this then?

http://search.ebay.com/duck-hunt-super_W0QQsokeywordredirectZ1QQfromZR8[/quote]

Good job ruining the joke....it's probably one of the most common games of all time...I was gonna talk about how I searched for years and finally paid 75 for it on ebay.[/quote]

That's what I thought (about it being so common). But It's a little hard to tell over the internet when someone is being sarcastic/joking, especially when pairing a "rare" game with something that really is rare. So lay off.

Snatcher
Dragon Force
Guardian Heroes
Shining Force III
Panzer Dragoon Saga

Also, not everyone lives in a big city. What might be easy to find in New York may be hard to find in Everytown, USA. I think instead of using the word "rare" the phrase "hard to find" is more applicable. Some games are so valued that you don't see them being sold as often as others and when you do, you pay out your ass for them.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I think instead of using the word "rare" the phrase "hard to find" is more applicable.[/quote]

This thread should end with this statement.

ha, nice one with the SMB/Duck Hunt combo going for $50. The Gamecrazy here as about 20 of them all marked for .25. You know some fool is going to go buy them all now and list them on ebay for $50 buy it now.

I remeber SMB/Duck Hunt was listed at Funcoland for I think $0.01, I wanted to buy it just to open it up and see what was in an NES cartridge, the worker said just take it for free they had so many.

Bust A Groove (PS1)
Bust A Groove 2 (PS1)
Contra: Shattered Soldier (PS2)
Dance Dance Revolution: Disney Mix (PS1)
Dead or Alive: Xtreme Beach Volleyball (Xbox)
Gitaroo Man (PS2)
Marvel vs. Capcom 2 (Xbox)
Resident Evil 2 (GCN)
Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (GCN)
Rez (PS2)
Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure (PS1)
Valkyrie Profile (PS1)

to name a few...

[quote name='Devin']Bust A Groove (PS1)
Bust A Groove 2 (PS1)
Gitaroo Man (PS2)
Resident Evil 2 (GCN)
Rez (PS2)
Valkyrie Profile (PS1)

to name a few...[/quote]

I have every one of those games except DDR Disney Mix and Rhapsody, haha.

I once bought an electric chess set at a yard sale. The thing was pristine and obvious rarely used. It had dates form the 70's and even a form you could send in to get the game chipped with the latest mod. The box and everything was perfect! I knew I could get at least $80-100 for it so I plunked down the $5 asking price and got on eBay. Within an hour of listing I had guys from Germany, Sweden, and Austria begging me to end the auction for $100 or $200. This is when you know you have something going on! The guy who eventually won even told me his highest bid so I wouldn’t sell to somebody else. His high bid was $1,100. It sold for $465 which means yes; I could have screwed with the guy and had somebody to force the bid up. Hell, I was thrilled to make a $460 profit and he was thrilled to have the freaking' missing link of video chess games.

[quote name='dental_regurgitation']Shattered Soldier is rare??[/quote]

Nope. Don't believe everything you see on the internet, sonny-Jim.

[quote name='ogreeley']I once bought an electric chess set at a yard sale. The thing was pristine and obvious rarely used. It had dates form the 70's and even a form you could send in to get the game chipped with the latest mod. The box and everything was perfect! I knew I could get at least $80-100 for it so I plunked down the $5 asking price and got on eBay. Within an hour of listing I had guys from Germany, Sweden, and Austria begging me to end the auction for $100 or $200. This is when you know you have something going on! The guy who eventually won even told me his highest bid so I wouldn’t sell to somebody else. His high bid was $1,100. It sold for $465 which means yes; I could have screwed with the guy and had somebody to force the bid up. Hell, I was thrilled to make a $460 profit and he was thrilled to have the freaking' missing link of video chess games.[/quote]

I'm glad to see you didn't screw the guy over.

4 pages and still no mention of the NA version of Suikoden II?! I've been looking for it for years. eBay price for a copy in decent shape is still at the insane range.

[quote name='ogreeley']I once bought an electric chess set at a yard sale. The thing was pristine and obvious rarely used. It had dates form the 70's and even a form you could send in to get the game chipped with the latest mod. The box and everything was perfect! I knew I could get at least $80-100 for it so I plunked down the $5 asking price and got on eBay. Within an hour of listing I had guys from Germany, Sweden, and Austria begging me to end the auction for $100 or $200. This is when you know you have something going on! The guy who eventually won even told me his highest bid so I wouldn’t sell to somebody else. His high bid was $1,100. It sold for $465 which means yes; I could have screwed with the guy and had somebody to force the bid up. Hell, I was thrilled to make a $460 profit and he was thrilled to have the freaking' missing link of video chess games.[/quote]

You should have haggled with the seller. I bet you could have bought it for $2.50 :twisted: .

[quote name='spongebolton']ahh, kizuna encounter. you have to love a game where there are only four known copies.[/quote]

Well, I figured at least one truly rare game should be mentioned :)

Waterworld for the Atari 2600. My buddy used to work at a local toy store, and in the early 90's one night they asked him to stay to do inventory. All Night.

he said "nope"...and then they said "Well, if you stay you can go into the back room and pick out anything you want".

He came home with 2 truckloads of sealed atari 2600, 5200, 7800 games....Colecovision, Intellivision, some Atari computer games (400/800)..........even some hardware, boxed atari trackballs. We spent a day sorting them all out.

Now, when you have like 60 sealed copies of Yars Revenge, you think about buildng an endtable out of them. But he had 1 copy of WaterWorld. I want to say it sold for several hundred dollars, and this was in the mid 1990's......EBAY was still this weird online site where you might get ripped off........today he probably would have made a grand or more, but when you're still in college nad get something for free, any profit is a good profit.

[quote name='HeadRusch']Waterworld for the Atari 2600. My buddy used to work at a local toy store, and in the early 90's one night they asked him to stay to do inventory. All Night.

he said "nope"...and then they said "Well, if you stay you can go into the back room and pick out anything you want".

He came home with 2 truckloads of sealed atari 2600, 5200, 7800 games....Colecovision, Intellivision, some Atari computer games (400/800)..........even some hardware, boxed atari trackballs. We spent a day sorting them all out.

Now, when you have like 60 sealed copies of Yars Revenge, you think about buildng an endtable out of them. But he had 1 copy of WaterWorld. I want to say it sold for several hundred dollars, and this was in the mid 1990's......EBAY was still this weird online site where you might get ripped off........today he probably would have made a grand or more, but when you're still in college nad get something for free, any profit is a good profit.[/quote]

Two truckloads? Did they say he could pick out anything he wanted, or everything he wanted?

[quote name='HeadRusch']Waterworld for the Atari 2600. My buddy used to work at a local toy store, and in the early 90's one night they asked him to stay to do inventory. All Night.

Now, when you have like 60 sealed copies of Yars Revenge, you think about buildng an endtable out of them. But he had 1 copy of WaterWorld. I want to say it sold for several hundred dollars, and this was in the mid 1990's......EBAY was still this weird online site where you might get ripped off........today he probably would have made a grand or more, but when you're still in college nad get something for free, any profit is a good profit.[/quote]

Are you talking about Swordquest: Waterworld?

Is is true that there are two different versions of Contra:SS...a CD and a DVD version? I was told this, and was wondering if this was true...and if there is a difference, loadtimes, etc?

[quote name='lurknomore']Is is true that there are two different versions of Contra:SS...a CD and a DVD version? I was told this, and was wondering if this was true...and if there is a difference, loadtimes, etc?[/quote]

I have the CD version, I bought it around its release.

Bust A Groove 2 (PS1)
Gitaroo Man (PS2)
Resident Evil 2 (GCN)
Rez (PS2)
Valkyrie Profile (PS1)

to name a few...[/quote]

Wow I actually have DDR Disney Mix and didn't know it was hard to find/in demand. Thanks!

[quote name='FFMooglestar'][quote name='Devin']Bust A Groove (PS1)
Bust A Groove 2 (PS1)
Gitaroo Man (PS2)
Resident Evil 2 (GCN)
Rez (PS2)
Valkyrie Profile (PS1)

to name a few...[/quote]

Wow I actually have DDR Disney Mix and didn't know it was hard to find/in demand. Thanks![/quote]

This one goes as high as Suikoden II goes. :D

Bust A Groove 2 (PS1)
Gitaroo Man (PS2)
Resident Evil 2 (GCN)
Rez (PS2)
Valkyrie Profile (PS1)

to name a few...[/quote]

Nice to see I have a few of those in my collection, those being MvC2 (XBox), DOA:XBV (XBox), RE 2 (GCN), RE 3 (GCN), and Rez (PS2). And there's the temptation to make a quick buck on 'em, though why give into it?

bread's done
Back