What games do you think have the best story???

stocker08

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
I would like to know what games you think have good stories. I would like to know becuase i have about 150 games but i rarey play any becasue i lose interest. I am sure that if i found a few good games that had good stories i would keep interested in it. What do you think?

I am looking for games from the PSX-N64-DC era and up. Dont really want to play super old games.

Platforms:

N64
PSX
DC
GBA
DS
PS2
GC
Saturn, i guess
Xbox

any of those systems i guess. THANKS!

Final Fantasy II and Chrono Trigger for the SNES... Oh new games? Okay, Final Fantasy Chronicles on PSX.

Pac Man kept me engrossed for hours and kept me coming back to see what came after the "key" level.

I also have a deep admiration for the storyline of Tetris.

Deus Ex. I just played it not too long ago and even though it is five years old the game still stands up. I don't know what the PS2 version is like, but I think you can play it with a mouse and keyboard, which would make it much easier to play

In the FPS genre - where story doesn't really matter much - I thought that Halo and XIII had decent stories. Halo 2 on the other hand was too convoluted for me to follow.

Also the Lord of the Rings games have pretty good stories. I think someone even turned them into a book or something. [end irony now]

allow me to add:
-beyond good and evil (good story about govt. corruption)
-xenosaga (very complicated and almost impossible to make sense)
-psychonauts (good story about different perspectives)

FF VII, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, All Metal Gears, RE 2, Kingdom Hearts, and I also enjoy The Chronicles of Riddick: EfBB a lot too.

like it needs to be said but Final Fantasy VI (best game of all time!) needs to be played as well as Final Fantasy IV (go get your compilations). The other Final Fantasy games would also be good. Also Castlevania SOTN and AOS, Resident Evil 4, Nippon Ichi titles (for the lighter side), Dragon Warrior IV (for extreme old school), the Lunar and Suikoden games in secession, and any Dynasty Warrior game 3 and up(to help get credit for Ancient Chinese history).

Psychonauts, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, Eternal Darkness and God of War all had great stories if you don't want to sit through 40+ hours per game with an RPG

Shadow of Destiny (ps2, pc)
This game deals with you going back in time trying to discover who keeps on murdering you. Has possibly the most refreshing cast of characters in a ps2 game.
The murder's identity was awesome, btw.

Ogre Battle 64: Beautifully translated and extremely deep storyline

Final Fantasy Tactics: The translation is bad enough to rescue the president but I loved all the constant twists, backstabbings, and character profiles.

Oooh, God of War? I heard great things about that game, and i love hack and slash games, so that would be good.

Beyond good and Evil has goten a lot of recommendations, RE series, Final Fantasy 6, Castlevania Series, Kain Series(i have played a few of these and i like these)

Thanks for all the input. I have been looking into getting the Resident Evil Games for GC. These should tide me over :)

ZOOT:(zelda ocarina of time),the next few games don't really have great stories but I still enjoyed them a lot banjo kazooie/tooie

Resident Evil 4 (campy but cool)
Metal Gear Series (Twin Snakes)
Eternal Darkness (many MGS voice actors with pretty interesting story)
Panzer Dragoon Saga (saturn, very rare and better than any Final Fantasy IMO)
Snatcher (sega cd; top recommendation, rare and incredible, great for MGS fans too)
Grim Fandango (PC) (like nothing else)
GTA vice city (voice acting is top notch)
Ico (different but incredible)
Prince of Persia (xbox or ps2)
Metroid Prime (more atmosphere than anything but it tells a cool story)
Fallout (PC)
Beyond Good and Evil (poor 3rd act though)
Knights of the old Republic (story twist as good as the 6th sense)

those who know, know FFVI, Chrono Trigger, Lunar 1&2.

Outside of those RPGs: The Metroid saga (with Prime alone standing out as an amazing story), Metal Gear Solid, Legacy of Kain.

FFIII, FFVII (note obvious ommitance of FFX, which was pretty bad)
Chrono-fucking-trigger
Xenogears
Parasite Eve
Wild Arms wasn't bad.
Noone Lives Forever
Eternal Darkness
Zelda II, Ocarina of time and Wind Waker
Quest For Glory IV was interesting
Shenmue had an interesting story although repetitive dialogue and horrible voice acting. (Do you know where I can find some sailors?)

Knights of the Old Republic - Probably the best story I've seen in an RPG for a long time.

Chrono Trigger

Final Fantasy VI - Not as good as CT, but it's up there.

Tales of Symphonia - I was spoiled on the story, and also many people say the story is rather cliche, but since I don't play too many Japanese RPGs, I didn't care.

And probably the game with most underrated story:

Mafia - The story is like watching a movie.

O, don't play Mafia on the consoles. I heard it's too buggy. Play the PC versions (it's not as buggy and it also comes with Max Payne!). You might need to cheat in some parts since the game is rather tough to beat.

i love platform games. The Banjo games look pretty good. I am suprised no1 has really said Conkers Bad Fur Day. I am currently loving it on Xbox and N64.

[quote name='stocker08']i love platform games. The Banjo games look pretty good. I am suprised no1 has really said Conkers Bad Fur Day. I am currently loving it on Xbox and N64.[/QUOTE]

theres just too many to name. you'll love the banjo series if you liked conker & sm64, but i wouldnt recommend dk64 , it didn't have that same Rare magic

Beyond good & evil has a great story that is really intertwined with the gameplay, you really feel like you are playing the story rather than watching it in a cutscene after each mission.

I enjoyed God of War as well.

- Killer7
- Grand Theft Auto: Vice City and San Andreas
- Return to Castle Wolfenstein, although I wish it were fleshed out more
- Jade Empire

Ico? I remember the puzzle aspects of it being good but I don't remember much of a compelling storyline.

Shadowman for DC or PC has a pretty sick atmosphere and a pretty good storyline, haven't played the sequel yet though so I can't vouch for it.

Second Sight has a fairly clever story.

And I know some people may not like it, but I enjoyed the story/characterization of Devil May Cry 3.

If you enjoy the Futurama series, you may be able to trudge through the mediocre gameplay in order to watch the cinema scenes which unfold like an episode of Futurama and are quite funny and the show's style of humor is maintained during the gameplay. It's fairly short, about 6 or 7 hours, so you don't have to endure for too long, and the good news is, once you see the scenes the first time there unlocked in the theatre mode so you can watch them whenever you want :).

Metal gear solid series or what I like to call todays Shakespeare.

Shenmue

God of war is one of the best stories I have ever seen heard or read. Just plain awesome.

bread's done
Back