What has happened to PC gaming?

The PC version of Dragon Age is a priority for BioWare, too. Sacred 2 was a recent one where PC got it first. World in Conflict was supposed to be, but their console port was canceled (again?), which is probably for the best. I think a console port would have reviewed poorly and tarnished the brand.

@Elfuzzito: First off, welcome! :grouphug:

Second: I'm one of those that only plays RTS and "Pop Cap" type games on the PC. I dont play FPSes in general (PC or console) and all the other games I like, platformers, Action-Adventure/RPG, sports games I feel just control better with a controller.

And as much as you want to downplay it, the cost is indeed a barrier to entry. I could buy a sub $400 netbook that could take care of all my regular computing needs, but there is no chance that it would run anything current. I look @ my primary home comp that I assembled 5 years ago and while it takes care of all my general computing needs, it cant even run C&C 3, let alone a Crysis. But even if I put $300 bucks into it (the price I paid for my console), it wouldn't be a 'good' gaming machine over the similar life of my console.

Additionally, you broach the price of games. Yes, PC games' MSRP tend to be less than console games, however, there tends to be a wider market for used console games (GS, BBV, GC et al.). Thus, the console games have a greater residual value. Not to mention, it's easier to find console games used so that makes the pricing difference negligible.

While I've always respected the PC gaming community, I realize it's not much for me. I love the K'board/mouse control for RTS games, but I dont really care about mods. I'd be most happy if I could use a K/M on my 360 for Red Alert. It's something about using a console and *knowing* the game will work. Not having to trudge through forums to find out if Red Alert 3 will work with my brand new 64-bit Vista OS. It's just a pain that I'm unwilling to go though when there is a simpler solution out there.

But that's why choice is good.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Stop. Just stop. PC gamers have been playing out this drama for decades.[/quote]

It's like asking an alcoholic who's been drinking for decades to stop!

What drama? We're just talking about stuff. If you want drama, go check out a podcast thread and look at people defending platforms that really don't need defending. The industry's already on their side. They argue which is better, we just want this platform to be validated.

[quote name='Serik']It's like asking an alcoholic who's been drinking for decades to stop![/QUOTE]

But do alcoholics keep posting en masse their sob stories about how they think that "alcoholism just ain't what it used to be" or "what has happened to being an alcoholic?" on message boards, thinking that they're the first people to think that alcoholism has been ruined because of the rise in popularity of hard drugs, and that they could possibly be stimulating any actually interesting discussion about the topic, despite people posting the exact same "alcoholism is dead" threads for years?

Protip for the metaphorically challenged: PC gaming is alcohol, console gaming is hard drugs.

[quote name='Sokkratez']we just want to be validated.[/QUOTE]
Yup, confirmed, this is the same "PC gaming is dead" discussion I was reading on newsgroups back in 1996.

Let the metaphor go. It's embarrassing.

Listen to any podcast (even the one from this site) and people think gaming on PC is a joke. It gets tiring. Whether it's an old discussion or not, sadly, it's still relevant. If you read my posts in this thread, I've actually argued that it's quite healthy, and that topics like this should go away. We're on the same side. But, obviously, the perception is still out there that PC gaming is "dead". So until there isn't, I'll choose to make constructive responses, unlike yourself.

[quote name='Sokkratez']Let the metaphor go. It's embarrassing.[/quote]
I didn't start it!

Listen to any podcast
DEATH FIRST.

But, obviously, the perception is still out there that PC gaming is "dead". So until there isn't, I'll choose to make constructive responses, unlike yourself.
There are a lot of dumb perceptions. Who cares? Money talks far more than their punditry. Keep buying PC games, everything is cool. Let dumbass podcasters say what they will.

Podcasters influence people, though. They have a large stage. If we want people to buy PC games, we can't have them spouting bullshit to 10,000 people at a clip. Since these influencers aren't always the most approachable or receptive people in the world, the best we can do is try to keep groupthink from occurring.

I really don't think podcasts are a big deal at all... very few people listen to any podcasts at all, and only a very select few are going to be listening to video game podcasts.. I've honestly never heard anybody IRL mention any podcast, much less a video game one. magazines, TV shows, websites, etc, mentioned all the time.. many of my friends read IGN and/or GameSpot.. they see ads on TV.. 95% of them probably don't even know what a podcast is

edit: just checked cheapyd's stats.. about 500k cagcast downloads per year. he has one of (if not the) most popular videogame podcasts, right? that's spread out over about 70 or 80 cagcasts.. that's less than 10k downloads each.. 10k listens when the north american videogame market alone is surely 50+ million (look at hardware sales of successful consoles)..

I know, I wasn't using podcasts as the end-all example of what people use to form opinions about games. But they are a large sector of games media. I was simply using them as an example of a very small group of people that influence a very large group of people, comparatively. There's a trickle-down effect. Popular opinions start somewhere.

And no, I don't think the CAGCast is even in the top 5 most downloaded video game podcasts. Probably top 10. And at most there's 52 episodes a year, not 70 or 80, but they skip weeks pretty frequently, so even less than that.

So let me get this straight, PC have cheaper games, you can chose how much money you want to spend on the performance aspect, you can use your PC for hundreds of other things, a midrange PC with a $100 video card can match the performance of this generations consoles, and somehow PC gaming is suffering. Then you add in the fact that the consoles are striving to add at least some of the functionality that PCs have. Well in my opinion PCs are just ahead of their time. They are for the advanced gamer, but not for everyone.

On a somewhat political note we are facing the dumbing down of our population. The Wii is an inferior product, but sells because you only need a 4th grade education to set it up and play.

On a side note you have parents like CheapyD and Wombat who have a time issue. Althought maybe that 4th grade education comes into play as well, only kidding. You have to put in some time into a games like Sins of a Solar Empire, but they just don't have the time. Instead they spend time on games like Saints Row 2 and Fable II. Both are great games, but comparing Sins to either of these games is like comparing "Law and Order" to "The Wire".

[quote name='52club']So let me get this straight, PC have cheaper games, you can chose how much money you want to spend on the performance aspect, you can use your PC for hundreds of other things, a midrange PC with a $100 video card can match the performance of this generations consoles, and somehow PC gaming is suffering. Then you add in the fact that the consoles are striving to add at least some of the functionality that PCs have. Well in my opinion PCs are just ahead of their time. They are for the advanced gamer, but not for everyone.

On a somewhat political note we are facing the dumbing down of our population. The Wii is an inferior product, but sells because you only need a 4th grade education to set it up and play.

On a side note you have parents like CheapyD and Wombat who have a time issue. Althought maybe that 4th grade education comes into play as well, only kidding. You have to put in some time into a games like Sins of a Solar Empire, but they just don't have the time. Instead they spend time on games like Saints Row 2 and Fable II. Both are great games, but comparing Sins to either of these games is like comparing "Law and Order" to "The Wire".[/quote]

i have a high performance gaming PC. however, i built this thing primarily for my work, but i also had gaming in mind. this thing can handle pretty much anything i throw at it... yes, i can play crysis with everything turned all the way up. i know that my pc is the best gaming platform i own; however, i find myself playing my PS3 98% of the time. why? i enjoy sitting on my couch with my big screen tv, controller in hand. i understand that i can play my PC games on my tv, and i understand that i can use a gamepad to simulate the console "feel." but the fact of the matter is that the games were designed for keyboard/mouse use, not for a controller. well, you cant really use a keyboard/mouse on the couch without sacrificing comfort. bottom line is that i love the feel of a console... that's all there is to it. the games are designed for a controller... i love the controller. its just a better experience all around for me.... when i do play games on my PC, im stuck at a desk in an office chair, 2 feet away from a monitor... not nearly as appealing to me.

[quote name='52club']The Wii is an inferior product, but sells because you only need a 4th grade education to set it up and play.[/QUOTE]
*sigh*

this place sucks..

The fact of the matter is (and this is pretty much true across the board) that publishers really don't want to make exclusives for any platform. On the whole platform exclusives (which is what the main argument over whether pc games are dead or not) are pretty much made by platform holders, and there really isn't such a thing in the pc space. This is really just the nature of the game in many ways. Maybe im not disgruntled enough but I have not yet lost faith in pc games yet.

Also, who the fuck cares if you can't play crysis at maximum settings. Are we pc gamers really that much of douchbag graphics whores that its just all about playing at max settings versus playing it at good enough settings. It still looks better than any other console shooter out there at medium to medium high settings. And it plays great too.

Don't lose hope folks!

[quote name='Koggit']*sigh*

this place sucks..[/quote]

I don't have a wii, but i must say i agree with you. This wierd hate for platforms is just so silly. Aren't we all gamers?

Plus, couldn't we say the same thing about the 360, ps3, ps2, xbox, gamecube, 3do, colecovision, etc. Most game console take the same amount of set-up time. Im just saying.

[quote name='Koggit']*sigh*

this place sucks..[/quote]

Typical of a 4th grade education, I'm partially kidding:lol:.

I don't hate my Wii by the way. Just like I don't hate McDonalds, 2 buck chuck from Trader Joes, or Vizio TVs. Each has its own place, but the issue is when companies like Pioneer stops making quality TVs or when/if PC games get dumbed down to try to make the fast buck Nintendo is making. We'll miss out on games like Crysis or Company of Heroes. Instead we'll end up with games more similar to Spore (which I believe was a retail success).

[quote name='52club']Typical of a 4th grade education, I'm partially kidding:lol:.

I don't hate my Wii by the way. Just like I don't hate McDonalds, 2 buck chuck from Trader Joes, or Vizio TVs. Each has its own place, but the issue is when companies like Pioneer stops making quality TVs or when/if PC games get dumbed down to try to make the fast buck Nintendo is making. We'll miss out on games like Crysis or Company of Heroes. Instead we'll end up with games more similar to Spore (which I believe was a retail success).[/QUOTE]
such an ignorant comment... "Value" here is completely subjective as it relates to enjoyment, and subjective value is generally determined by the market.

If sales are inconsistent with your opinion then you're in a minority and it's not unreasonable to expect a shift away from what you'd like to see. That doesn't mean people who enjoy Wii and Spore are wrong, it doesn't mean they're stupid or uneducated, it just means their assessment of value in videogames is different from yours.

Your misunderstanding of this, which is extremely common here, is one of the primary reasons this place sucks. CAG seems to attract children,

[quote name='Koggit']such an ignorant comment... "Value" here is completely subjective as it relates to enjoyment, and subjective value is generally determined by the market.

If sales are inconsistent with your opinion then you're in a minority and it's not unreasonable to expect a shift away from what you'd like to see. That doesn't mean people who enjoy Wii and Spore are wrong, it doesn't mean they're stupid or uneducated, it just means their assessment of value in videogames is different from yours.

Your misunderstanding of this, which is extremely common here, is one of the primary reasons this place sucks. CAG seems to attract children,

[quote name='Zing']A gaming PC has been pointless for the past 5 years unless you want to play an MMORPG.[/QUOTE]

Care to elaborate? You need a gaming PC to play lots of games other than MMORPG's

Anyhow, I'm feeling upbeat about PC gaming. For the first time in a while, I have a PC backlog. Just grabbed Crysis and Warhead from BB for 20$, Guild Wars and Quake Wars for 22$ on Newegg and Red Orchestra off of steam for 5$

Now all I need is to build my dream computer to play Crysis, I'll probably post pictures once it arrives.

[quote name='bsesb2003']PC gaming is just too darn inconvenient when compared to consoles.[/quote]

This may be true (I disagree, but every user is different) but it's not anything new, so I don't know why people keep bringing it up as if it is. So to answer the thread's question in relation to that particular topic: PC gaming has become more convenient over the years, even if the level of convenience has yet to match that of a console.

[quote name='bsesb2003']PC gaming is just too darn inconvenient when compared to consoles.[/quote]

With red ringing consoles, patches, firmware updates, and games coming out with broken online modes/bugs console gaming really isn't that different IMO.

Seriously. I gave up on PC gaming shortly after the release of Doom 3. There was just no point anymore. I went from being the hardest of the hardcore PC gamer to having a MacBook as my only computer.

[quote name='Zing']Seriously. I gave up on PC gaming shortly after the release of Doom 3. There was just no point anymore. I went from being the hardest of the hardcore PC gamer to having a MacBook as my only computer.[/quote]

It all depends on what genres and games you enjoy playing. A console is absolutely worthless for me because 95% of my gaming time is spent in RTS, 4X, and multiplayer FPS games, which are nonexistent or inferior on current consoles.

Back in the late 90s/early 2000s, I owned every console and handheld and regularly bought RPGs, racing, sports, and platformer games, in addition to the ones listed above. But now that I spend less time playing games, I stick to my favorite genres, which happen to be on the PC.

One man's coffee, one man's tea, another man's cocaine...

[quote name='Zing']Seriously. I gave up on PC gaming shortly after the release of Doom 3. There was just no point anymore. I went from being the hardest of the hardcore PC gamer to having a MacBook as my only computer.[/QUOTE]

it's ok, we all make mistakes. ;)

I got back into PC gaming recently and love it! And this is from someone who has a PS3 and 360. Though PC I find a less social gaming platform b/c I like to play games w/ others splitscreen etc. Plus none of my buds play on PC, so I'm usually soloing gameplay.

Eh...

I got Fallout 3 for the PC. I could have easily gotten it for either my ps3 or 360, but I choose the PC, for a handful of reasons. For one, I really don't have that many games for the PC, and having just quit WoW, I needed something "to fill the void" (like how crack addicts move on/downgrade to smoking tobacco or weed). But primarily, I did it so I wouldn't hog the only HDTV that we have in our apartment, and I do that as it is playing either CoD4 on the 360, or Killzone/Resistance 2 on ps3, and mostly playing online.

TF2 on the PC kinda go boring after a while, and having a copy of CoD4 for the PC too... that quickly lost its charm online wise. IDK, maybe I have a wierd fetish listening to people make asses of themselve on the consoles, or maybe my FPS skill on the PC is going away as I get older.

But, there isn't really that killer app for PC gaming, or atleast a killer app for me. It's still the king of any flavor of RTS, and a few years ago PC was king of the western RPG games, with Planescape, the Baldur's Gate series, the Icewind Dale series, Diablo, etc. I think the console vs. PC gaming is highly cyclical, and PC will eventually make a comeback, but not as it was all those years ago.

If your really think about it, PC gaming didn't really went away, it just changed. The image of a "Hardcore Gamer" (a term of which, btw, is highly subjective) moved from playing Quake 2/3 on the PC to Halo on the 360. I'm not going to say that there are no Hardcore Gamers playing exclusively on the PC, but the focus and image changed. PC gaming suddenly became a den of simple flash games and MMORPGs, of casual gamers and bored housewives sitting in front of the monitor glow, playing a round of bejeweled of The Sims.

But, I think that the industry is making a big mistake in ignoring PC gaming. Yeah, PC gaming maybe seen as "niche", but guess what, there are more PCs in the household than there are consoles, and I believe that the industry itself really hasn't forgotten that. The problem is the fact that making game on the console is more so profitable than making games on the PC, and that's really unfortunate. But hey, whose fault is that really? The market is just reacting to whatever the consumer needs, and the consumers need games for thier various ps3, 360s, Wiis, PSPs, Ds', what have you.

Yeah, it's sad that PC gaming has been sitting on the back burner for a long time now, and for a long time coming too. All I could say to myself, and the millions of PC gamers worldwide is that just to be patient. There are still great games to play for the PC, and there are still it's defender, like Blizzard, Stardock, Valve, etc, and all those companies are asking us to be patient, and to be prepared for upcoming games like Diablo 3, Starcraft 2, Sims 3, etc.

Actually, as a side story and question, I was trying to cancel my XBL gold subscription, mainly because I'm either playing TF2 on the PC or Killzone 2 on PSN, and as it is, I really haven't powered on my 360 in a while. The problem is that I really haven't been able to, and MS is really isn't helping anyone in this aspect. This "ordeal" started 2 weeks ago, and to this date, I still have no friggin idea how to cancel that subby. It doesn't allow me to delist the credit card that I have on file on them, and after reading what other people did, it became apparent that it's going to be some work stop paying for XBL. Maybe I'm just lazy, and trying to find the logic of paying for the right to play online CoD4 on the 360 when I can do the same on the PC for free eludes me, not having a streamlined way to cancel this "money sink" is really annoying the hell out of me. Wonder what I should do...

Last edited by a moderator:
If all Games For Windows Live games supported cross-platform play with the 360 and PC, i'd buy more PC games in a heartbeat. I buy my games (usually) with multiplayer in mind, so naturally i'm going to pick the 360 version over the PC. Add achievements for ALL 360 games and the deal is pretty much sealed...

[quote name='SynGamer']If all Games For Windows Live games supported cross-platform play with the 360 and PC, i'd buy more PC games in a heartbeat. I buy my games (usually) with multiplayer in mind, so naturally i'm going to pick the 360 version over the PC. Add achievements for ALL 360 games and the deal is pretty much sealed...[/quote]

I really don't understand why more games don't support Games for Windows LIVE now, I mean its free for us to use now, so why not give us more of a reason to play.

Some games like Fallout 3 support Xbox Live achievements for the PC which is cool. I'm not sure why there aren't more cross platform, maybe its hard to keep both even as far as controls go.

[quote name='keiblerfan69']I really don't understand why more games don't support Games for Windows LIVE now, I mean its free for us to use now, so why not give us more of a reason to play.[/quote]

Agreed. It'd make so much more sense. I'd love to be able to play with my Xbox 360 friends with the games I have for my PC. I'd be able to enjoy myself and prevent myself from having to buy 2 copies of the same game but for different consoles. Its an already established platform, I really don't understand why its not used.

[quote name='mindcloud'] I'm not sure why there aren't more cross platform, maybe its hard to keep both even as far as controls go.[/quote]

I would guess this. I haven't checked out the forums or heard of the feedback of those games with cross platform compatibility, but shooters like Lost Planet and Shadowrun I'd imagine would be unbalanced in favor of the the PC's mouse and keyboard users.

To be completely honest, i don't buy PC games because 1. no achievements/cross-platform play, and 2. they drop in price way to fast for me to consider buying them until they hit $20-30...

[quote name='SynGamer']To be completely honest, i don't buy PC games because 1. no achievements/cross-platform play, and 2. they drop in price way to fast for me to consider buying them until they hit $20-30...[/QUOTE]
Wait, what?

You don't buy PC games because they get cheap quickly?

GFWL is an absolute piece of shit on the PC. I want it to die already. Too many services all trying to do the same thing.

And I'd rather not have cross platform play, especially for FPS games and RTS games.

[quote name='Liquid 2']Wait, what?

You don't buy PC games because they get cheap quickly?[/quote]
Why buy a PC game at $50 when it comes out when i know it will be $20 in a few months? PC games NEVER hold their value, at least with the 360 'good' games hold their value for a while these days.

Uh, I fail to see why that's a bad thing. PC gaming is pretty cheap if you have a modicum of patience. Lots of good games at cheap prices.

[quote name='Serik']GFWL is an absolute piece of shit on the PC. I want it to die already. Too many services all trying to do the same thing.

And I'd rather not have cross platform play, especially for FPS games and RTS games.[/quote]

Whats wrong with GFWL? I think it works great. I've really only used it with Dawn of War 2 and a little tiny bit with Shadowrun. What is it about it that you don't like? Getting my friends into the game works great. Its easy to access both friends list and achievements or anything else I could want to. Best of all its all linked to my microsoft account so I don't have to have 3 different friends lists for my 360,PC, and Zune. It would be nice if all games would use GFWL. I would love to have achievements for all my PC games.

[quote name='SynGamer']Why buy a PC game at $50 when it comes out when i know it will be $20 in a few months? PC games NEVER hold their value, at least with the 360 'good' games hold their value for a while these days.[/quote]

The value being what, the actual cost in the store? The major problem I find with console games is that the player base seems to die off really quickly where in most PC games I have found I am always able to get a game even in older games. There are still a lot of people that play Dawn of War 1 and Supreme Commander. If you take the value of the game to be the cost in the store then yeah it drops fast. I see it however as how long am I going to be able to play this game once I buy it. Through the mod community or otherwise PC games in general seem to stick around longer.

[quote name='Klank']The value being what, the actual cost in the store? The major problem I find with console games is that the player base seems to die off really quickly where in most PC games I have found I am always able to get a game even in older games. There are still a lot of people that play Dawn of War 1 and Supreme Commander. If you take the value of the game to be the cost in the store then yeah it drops fast. I see it however as how long am I going to be able to play this game once I buy it. Through the mod community or otherwise PC games in general seem to stick around longer.[/quote]
I almost always buy a game for single player, Halo 3 being the only exception. For me though, i almost always trade my games a year+ later on CAG or Goozex and it's nice i can get a good value for my 360 games compared to PC.

GFWL is just another layer of cruft. It's especially irritating when GFWL exists on top of Steam, which is superior in every meaningful way. Since I don't have an Xbox, and generally couldn't care about achievements, GFWL is just another way for MS to annoy me. And GFWL's DLC is priced in MS funny money instead of a real currency.

And what Klank said. Good PC games have lifespans of 10+ years. Last week, I signed on to Battle.net to play a round of WCII :D

@Syn: The PC game resale market is quickly vanishing thanks to online registration. So yeah, if reselling is important to you, I wouldn't be buying PC games. But from a buyer's perspective, most PC games can be purchased at excellent prices from eBay, GoGamer, digital weekend sales, etc.

[quote name='SynGamer']I almost always buy a game for single player, Halo 3 being the only exception. For me though, i almost always trade my games a year+ later on CAG or Goozex and it's nice i can get a good value for my 360 games compared to PC.[/QUOTE]

That's almost something I like about PC games (Steam mainly) is that I trade my 360 games too much but with PC, I'll come back to an old game. I recently started playing Battlefield 2 again.

bread's done
Back