What is Halo: Reach?

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='BoneMonkey80']I'm just getting into halo I remember seeing something called halo recon but never saw it again ???[/QUOTE]

HALO: Recon has been renamed HALO:ODST (ODSTs are the guys in black that are above marines)

EDIT: Oh, and all the novels were worth teh read, especially if you're interested in the HALO universe. IT expands and explains a lot more especially about the origins

[quote name='BoneMonkey80']Im playing halo 1 on my xbox 360 and im loving it hehe can't wait to get to three

So reach is going to be like gears of war ?[/QUOTE]

I hope not. While the Gears series is one of my favorite of all time they each have their own place. I hope that they make Halo: Reach like Star Wars: Republic Commando (one of the fucking coolest FPS's ever). I enjoy Halo Wars, but having the Halo universe dip into every gaming genre seems, I dunno, it just doesn't seem right. Could be just me though.

Edit: I immediately lost interest when that blog referred to Halo Wars as a "brainy RTS". While that game is very fun, it is anything but brainy.

Yeah Halo Reach is going to be about the battle with the Covenant when the Space Marines lost all the Spartans except for Master Chief, so it'll be a prequel to Halo 1.

The novels and the timeline section in Halo Wars have more detail about that event.

Hoping the guy is right, overall. It'd make it the first Halo since the first one I really tweak over.

The story from the book was way better than the stories from 2 and 3 so I am definitely looking forward to this game.

[quote name='tinman_licks']Game's gonna be squad-based shooter. Seems like an "on the money" guess imo.

http://www.xboxist.com/xbox-360/news/what-is-halo-reach-weve-got-ideas-010442.php[/QUOTE]

Anyone who bought HALO Wars expecting an FPS is an idiot and deserves whatever they had coming to them.

Also, just because it has a multiplayer beta doesn't mean that it will be an FPS.

What is interesting is that the article is suggesting that there might be different classes of characters, and while that works fine for singleplayer, I will be extremely pissed if that happens to the multiplayer portion. This isn't Killzone, CoD or Battlefield. This is Halo, where everyone has an equal playing field online and has to control certain keypoints in order to maintain certain weapons.

[quote name='help1']Also, just because it has a multiplayer beta doesn't mean that it will be an FPS.[/QUOTE]

Bungie has said it's going to be though, unless you were referring to something in the article, which I didn't care to read ;)

[quote name='tgk2044']Bungie has said it's going to be though, unless you were referring to something in the article, which I didn't care to read ;)[/QUOTE]

Oh, I know that Bungie has confirmed it will be an FPS, but the article just used the line of logic that since it will have a beta, it must be an FPS.

[quote name='jollydwarf']What is Halo: Reach?

Another Microsoft money-grab with even more diminishing enjoyment returns than ODST?[/QUOTE]

Hey troll, lets clear some stuff up here:

ODST uses the same engine as Halo 3. For all we know, Halo Reach might have a brand new engine, meaning better graphics and more gameplay dynamics. I think Bungie will agree with me and say ODST will not be as fun as Reach.

[quote name='jollydwarf']What is Halo: Reach?

Another Microsoft money-grab with even more diminishing enjoyment returns than ODST?[/QUOTE]

How can you say that when ODST is not even out yet and you have NO information on Reach other than the title? I can't stand ignorant people like you. I'll admit right off the bat that I'm a Halo fanboy. They already stated ODST it has ALL the Halo 3 maps, a whole new (full length) campaign, and a new multiplayer mode. What else do you want? And it's Bungie working on a Halo title, you know it's going to be great just like all the other Halo titles. Oh and please don't quote this and say Halo, Halo 2, or Halo 3 sucked because the 80+ reviews for Halo, 100+ reviews for Halo 2, and 90+ reviews for Halo 3 (all at over 92%) would like to say otherwise.

So in conclusion, it's a pretty good chance ODST and Reach are going to be great FPS to the Halo franchise.

[quote name='Nealocus123']And it's Bungie working on a Halo title, you know it's going to be great just like all the other Halo titles.[/QUOTE]
fixed for ya pal :)

[quote name='crystalklear64']fixed for ya pal :)[/QUOTE]

As much as I don't wanna laugh at this...

I totally just did.

I guess they are a tad bit repetitive.

Although I'm not a big Halo fan at all, my crystal ball is saying that Halo Reach will be like Republic Commando and have Multiplayer like Team Fortress 2.

Please let this be true crystal ball.

[quote name='Nealocus123']As much as I don't wanna laugh at this...

I totally just did.

I guess they are a tad bit repetitive.[/QUOTE]
Well I don't mean to suggest that they are repetitive, but when buying a Halo game, you know what to expect.

Now its a matter of opinion as to whether or not the Halo games are great, but it is a safe bet to assume that future Halo games will be similar to older ones or at least share many elements. So, if you like the games, fair enough, you'll probably be happy. But we don't need to throw in words like "great" when you could get the same message across without baiting them trolls, which is admittedly fun to do.

[quote name='Nealocus123']Edit: I immediately lost interest when that blog referred to Halo Wars as a "brainy RTS". While that game is very fun, it is anything but brainy.[/QUOTE]

Yes, for some reason, critics seem to be under the impression that there's something uniquely intelligent about the franchise, when there's really nothing remotely unique or intelligent about it. Personally, I think it's one of the most generic, uninspired franchises out there.

I was coasting through a store not long after Halo 3 launched and I saw a magazine that said "Halo 3: The thinking gamer's shoot'em up." I literally laughed out loud in the middle of the store. Apparently whoever wrote that has never played online before.

Apparently whoever wrote that has never played online before.

And never played a Half-Life game.

Don't get me wrong, kids. I strongly enjoy Halo for what it is, but in my opinion, this should be a franchise relegated to the Master Chief storyline games with continued content and support by Bungie for the multiplayer in-between. Everything else just feels like a, well...reach.

"Dangit, Jolly, yer puns're killin' me! I ain't laughed s'hard since I used ta watch Hee Haw when I wasn't no bigger'n a billy goat!"

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']
I was coasting through a store not long after Halo 3 launched and I saw a magazine that said "Halo 3: The thinking gamer's shoot'em up." I literally laughed out loud in the middle of the store. Apparently whoever wrote that has never played online before.[/QUOTE]

You have got to be fucking kidding me. It's as if you have never played Halo 3 online, because if you had, you would know how much skill and strategy it entails. Unlike CoD where everyone is just running apeshit racking up spray-and-pray kills, if you pull that crap in Halo 3, you will never win.

I can't wait until people realize each major FPS like Halo, Call of Duty, etc. all involve some type of strategy. Until then though, flame wars continue.

[quote name='help1']You have got to be fucking kidding me. It's as if you have never played Halo 3 online, because if you had, you would know how much skill and strategy it entails. Unlike CoD where everyone is just running apeshit racking up spray-and-pray kills, if you pull that crap in Halo 3, you will never win.[/QUOTE]

If you pull that crap in cod, you'll never win against a good team. There is no ranking system like in halo, so the only way to get a good challenge is to stay away from "pub" games. Try running apeshit and spray and pray against a good team, and see where that gets you. I can run around all day, and spray and pray in the low ranks of halo and kick ass. The majority of halo players are low ranks.

[quote name='ilivas']The majority of halo players are low ranks.[/QUOTE]

I was comparing COD's matchmaking to Halo's matchmaking.

Also, the majority of halo players aren't low ranks. Both Team dubs, and team slayer follow standard bell curves.

Let's all try to stay on the Halo: Reach topic and not so much on 'what FPS is the best'.

I wonder Halo: Reach is the start of a new trilogy (all following the books). It would be interesting to see what Bungie does. The whole reason why I loved Halo so much though was because it focused on one main character and his story. I'd hate to see these games flip flop between different people thus giving you less of a connection with the story.

[quote name='Trakan']It's easier to be good at COD than it is to be good at Halo.[/QUOTE]

I doubt that... just because you play halo more, doesn't mean it's easier. Just because you can pull positive in a couple pub matches doesn't make you good.

I would actually even say call of duty has more skillful players since it has a larger user base.

[quote name='help1']I was comparing COD's matchmaking to Halo's matchmaking.

Also, the majority of halo players aren't low ranks. Both Team dubs, and team slayer follow standard bell curves.[/QUOTE]

I haven't played in awhile, but from what I remember, the highest percentage of players were in the 20's which I would say is pretty low.

I will say that halo has a superior ranking/matchmaking system since it forces you to play people of your own skill level.

While on call of duty, you must play clan matches to get any type of decent challenge.

[quote name='ilivas']I haven't played in awhile, but from what I remember, the highest percentage of players were in the 20's which I would say is pretty low.

I will say that halo has a superior ranking/matchmaking system since it forces you to play people of your own skill level.

While on call of duty, you must play clan matches to get any type of decent challenge.[/QUOTE]

I said they follow standard bell curves, which would mean the majority of players are around 25. That isn't low, that is the average rank.

[quote name='Maynard']Although I'm not a big Halo fan at all, my crystal ball is saying that Halo Reach will be like Republic Commando and have Multiplayer like Team Fortress 2.

Please let this be true crystal ball.[/QUOTE]

No Halo game will EVER be as good as TF2!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back