What is the best Mario Party game?

Jimbo Slice

CAGiversary!
Feedback
29 (100%)
I'm looking to pick up one or two of the Mario Party games, but I'm not really sure which one is the best. I remember 1 being cool but it tearing up your hand and ruining controllers, so I am looking to avoid that.

Any other suggestions? I have all 3 systems so console isn't a problem (although I'm not really interested in DS).

I have 1-8 and can safely say that 2 and 3 are my favorites with 4 closely behind. If you can endure the palm pain, 1 was also quite good.

For the most part they're a mixed blur. I remember MP1 the most but due to the whole "burning palm" mini games I won't recommend it, unless you like pain. I don't remember MP 2 & 3 at all.

I played a lot of Mario Party 4. It's a solid entry and would have to say my favorite. MP 5 is also a good one, maybe my second favorite. Just stay away from the GC mic ones (I think 6 & 7) The mic mini-games don't respond properly. If you have any friends with accents then it's a little unfair.

I had Mario Party 8 on the Wii and didn't play it all that much. Don't know if it was the games fault or if I just wasn't interested in the series anymore. Maybe both. Not terrible but I'd rather go with MP4 & 5.

Last edited by a moderator:
Play 2, 4, or 7. 8 is painfully weak for the first one with motion control, 1 hurts your hands, and the rest are contrived and terrible. Stay away from 6 at all costs. It's the worst by far.

4 was the last fun Mario Party I've played. Like others have said, I'm not sure if I've just outgrown them or if the quality has just deteriorated over time. I can honestly say that 8 was horrendous and I'm sure I would have thought the same about it 10 years ago as a kid. Stick to the older versions.

I don't get how people expect him to get 1-3... but, I can agree I don't like Mario Party 8. It's the only one I play because it's on the Wii and my step brother lost the Gamecube game case with all the GC Mario Party's in it. :(

All of the N64 versions are great but you'll want to avoid the first one due the reason already mentioned.

Mario Party 7 is the best GC version I've played. It has mic support but there's an option to easily turn the mini games that utilize the mic off. It introduced the most new features in the series up to that point and has better design than the other GC entries.

Mario Party DS is also noteworthy.

Just reading this brings back painful memories of playing the original Mario Party over at a friend's house. So painful on the palms but so much fun.

I have 6 for the Gamecube and though I haven't played it in a long time, I had a lot of fun with it back in the day. Sure, the mic doesn't work all that well but that didn't stop it from still being fun.

I have MP 4 - 8, and I have to say MP 4 or 7 are my favorites.

Both had the best maps and mini-games.

6 is decent, 5 is OK, but not as good as 6.

8 was a HUUUUGE disappointment. Could've done so much more with the motion controls.

I wish Nintendo would smarten up and release a "greatest hits" version, meaning a MP game with all the best mini-games and board (maps), and have all the previously selectable characters.

2 or 3 as well. Mostly because the mini-game where you have bags of coins on your back and you have to "rape it off" the other characters to get it is too hilarious.

bread's done
Back