What is/was your college major?

[quote name='Fragonard']Cool, I'm trying to find a job as a level designer right now. I interned as one a year ago, but can't seem to find a place that wants me right now.[/quote]

A few of the faculty members here worked in movies or games and help students get internships if they see they're working hard. Part of the reason Im thinking of going with texture artist is because it seems like I see more openings for them.

How was the internship you did?

i have my BS in Sound Recording Technology

currently working in audio post production for film/tv and looking to possibly move into games someday.

I got a BS in Technical Management (My Technical was all Computer Information Systems) and my fiance works for a college so once we get married its off for my free masters. I work in I.T. for the Orlando Magic so i cant complain to much, since i love my job.

[quote name='Fragonard']Cool, I'm trying to find a job as a level designer right now. I interned as one a year ago, but can't seem to find a place that wants me right now.[/quote]

Do you have a portfolio of levels you've made? That's going to be the one things game companies want.

[quote name='Dokstarr']That is awesome. I'm interested in biology but I haven't had a chance to persue it much in undergrad aside from bio1, bio2, and a drug delivery class.

I did 1.5 years co-oping but I was a process engineer doing that working in industry. I wanted bio-chem or pham related, but it didn't pan out that way.

I'm not to sure what I'm gonna do in May after I graduate since I'm not really to sure what I am really really interested in. I'm going to take the FE/EIT exam this march which I hope/assume I will pass. I will probably work for a year while reexaming what I really want to do.

All this time, money, and effort with chemical engineering and sometimes I still think about trying to be a vet since I really love animals but I never persued it since I have some allergies. But now with the allergy shots... who knows.

But at least I know I should be able to find a good job w/ a degree in chem eng and I will figure it out then.[/quote]

The FE exam is horribly easy. I didn't study at all, got out of there with about 2 hours to spare, and passed with flying colors.

It's actually a little difficult to find a job in ChE, that's partially the reason I'm a grad student because I couldn't find a job. That could have also been because I didn't do a co-op and had limited internship experience (and because I was too picky, I actually got an offer from Haliburton)

[quote name='basilofbkrst']A few of the faculty members here worked in movies or games and help students get internships if they see they're working hard. Part of the reason Im thinking of going with texture artist is because it seems like I see more openings for them.

How was the internship you did?[/quote]
It was awesome. I actually got my name in the credits because I scripted something like 6 levels.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']Do you have a portfolio of levels you've made? That's going to be the one things game companies want.[/quote]
Yeah, thats been the problem. I had some complications with my school and transfering and what not. So I never got to take the class where they help you build a website or a portfolio. I just now finished my website and will have it up this week. So I'm hoping that will help.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']The FE exam is horribly easy. I didn't study at all, got out of there with about 2 hours to spare, and passed with flying colors.[/quote]

I had the same experience. Granted, they only say "you passed" and don't mention a score (unless you fail). I know on the Civil Engineering route you have to score something like a 40% to actually pass (it's based on average scores and other factors). That may seem low, but when you're tested on Electrical, Mechanical, Transportation, Hydraulics, Environmental, and several other engineering disciplines it evens out rather quickly.

[quote name='Fragonard']It was awesome. I actually got my name in the credits because I scripted something like 6 levels.

Yeah, thats been the problem. I had some complications with my school and transfering and what not. So I never got to take the class where they help you build a website or a portfolio. I just now finished my website and will have it up this week. So I'm hoping that will help.[/quote]

My advice, just make levels, focus on work with the Unreal III engine (studio's see experience in that as an instant gold star). The more levels/mods you have, the more design skill you can show off.

B.S. Mathematics, B.A. Economics, and B.S. Computer Science.

Just about to finish my M.S. Computer Science and can't wait to get the hell out of here.

[quote name='ananag112']Which degree(s) would be better? PhD in Mechanical Engineering or should I go for an MBA and just get a Masters in Mechanical Engineering?[/QUOTE]

Depends what you want to do with it. If you want to be a researcher/professor the PhD is practically a prerequisite. If you would rather work in industry or do engineering management, you'd probably be better off with the MBA/M.S. combo.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']My advice, just make levels, focus on work with the Unreal III engine (studio's see experience in that as an instant gold star). The more levels/mods you have, the more design skill you can show off.[/quote]
I'm currently working on levels for TF2 and RoboBlitz, RoboBlitz uses the Unreal III engine.

BS degrees in Chemistry and Biology.

MD degree (will finish in a few months)

Neither Chemistry nor Biology are very useful in their own right as majors... a BS in either field just qualifies you for a technician level job. But, they are good stepping stones that provide a good scientific basis for PhD or MD degrees.

An MD is a relatively safe choice in terms of decent $ and job security, but it's a lot of work and quite competitive to get in at top places (e.g., 50 applicants for each position). Plus, the learning/training seems like it never ends...

A PhD is less competitive overall (although top programs in their respective fields are quite challenging to get into). Lifestyle is much better/easier during training and it may be very interesting, but there are fewer guarantees with respect to jobs/positions.

bread's done
Back