What is your All Time Favorite Horror Movie

[quote name='DesertEagleXIX']The 1978's Dawn of the Dead. The remake isn't too bad, but doesn't compare to Romero's orginal.[/QUOTE]

I would imagine the anti-consumer overtones of Romero's DotD would have turned you off.

I will have to second this suggestion; every movie featuring "undead" has been derivative and dependent upon, to some degree, the standard Romero set.

I will forgive him for Monster Squad err..."Day of the Dead," however. I have yet to see "Land of the Dead," but by all accounts it's pretty bad.

Honorary mention to Tobe Hooper's "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre."

[quote name='DesertEagleXIX']The 1978's Dawn of the Dead. The remake isn't too bad, but doesn't compare to Romero's orginal.[/quote]

The remake of Dawn of the Dead freaked me out, fast moving zombies and the ending on the boat. Very strange.

[quote name='DesertEagleXIX']The 1978's Dawn of the Dead. The remake isn't too bad, but doesn't compare to Romero's orginal.[/QUOTE]

Thirding this one!

thumb-Halloween.jpg

[quote name='thebob101']The Shinning is by far the best horror movie out there.[/QUOTE]

Is that the one where they break everybody's knee caps?

I just thought of one that scared the hell out of me as a kid, Evil Speak. I think Ron Howard's older brother was the lead character.

[quote name='Saucy Jack']I'd probably have to say the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre.[/quote]

I will have to second that.

One thing I notice that some of all time favorite Horror films have no music or a large absence of Music. Texas Chainsaw had no music. Same with the Blair Witch Project, Night of the Living Dead. Exorcist, the original Omen, the Shinning had very little music at all.

I think true horror is the anticipation of something and sometimes music gets too obtrusive. That just my 2 cents though...

I can't pick just one favorite. but a few of my favorites are

Phantasm
The Exorcist
Beyond The Door
Children Should'nt Play with Dead Things
Carrie

[quote name='snotknocker']Is that the one where they break everybody's knee caps?[/QUOTE]
"The Shinning" was The Simpsons parody of "The Shining". I cant recall anybody getting their knee caps broken in either.

Army of Darkness!
I also used to like that Halloween horror movie with the mask factory... no one else seems to like it but I watched it every year anyway just to giggle at it.
also... NIGHT OF THE LEPUS! Giant bunnies destroying the world makes for a great horror movie. :D
Silver Bullet (werewolf stuff) was good too.

For some reason i dont care for the gore movies. I think just gross out nasty shiat doesn't really equal 'scary' entertainment. Its just...sick. bleh.

[quote name='6669']"The Shinning" was The Simpsons parody of "The Shining". I cant recall anybody getting their knee caps broken in either.[/QUOTE]

I think he's getting it mixed up with the movie "Misery".

I have several favorite horror movies. One of my favorites is a Japanese film called "Audition" by Takashi Miike. It's best to watch this movie without not knowing anything about it, the twist that happens in the middle of the movie will be very memorable. Another Miike work that I found truly disturbing was his banned episode for Showtimes Masters of Horror. It's entitled "Imprint" and it was never aired because it was too messed up even for cable. You can watch it in the upcoming Masters of Horror DVD set or just torrent it.

For B-rate horror. I really recommend the 1992 movie "The Resurrected". It's based off of Lovecraft's "The Case of Charles Dexter Ward". Even though it has no stars in it. The acting isn't that bad and it has one of the most scary scenes in the dark I have ever watched. I think this movie is a true hidden gem.

The most recent horror movie I have watched is "The Descent". It's not that bad of a movie. It has some pretty intense moments and it's all female casts is pretty different. "Wolf Creek" was also pretty scary.

[quote name='Xevious']I will have to second that.

One thing I notice that some of all time favorite Horror films have no music or a large absence of Music. Texas Chainsaw had no music. Same with the Blair Witch Project, Night of the Living Dead. Exorcist, the original Omen, the Shinning had very little music at all.

I think true horror is the anticipation of something and sometimes music gets too obtrusive. That just my 2 cents though...[/quote]But when music is done right, like in Halloween or Friday the 13th, it creates anpicitation for you know what's coming up next. Also, Psycho gets my vote.

Horror movies are my favorite catogorie. But the scariest would be Texas Chainsaw Massacre The origional and Evil Dead. I like the Friday the 13th and freddy krueger movies but theyre not that scary.

[quote name='Predator21281']But when music is done right, like in Halloween or Friday the 13th, it creates anpicitation for you know what's coming up next. Also, Psycho gets my vote.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I totally forgot Psycho. I actually rank Psycho as my all time favorite film of all time because Hitchcock had the guts to pull off one the most unexpected twist ever in movie history. Two of his other films that I really love are Vertigo and Rear Window.

Another vote Dawn of The Dead(78)
Maybe my most viewed movie ever.

One of the most scariest moments in a horror movie(besides The Shining)was the end of the 1st sleepaway camp movie. I was freaked out watching that shit during the daytime!

I also like the eye(asian horror)
Jaws
the 1st nightmare on elm street
From beyond
evil dead films
the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Night of the creeps
The Shining
Dog soldiers
and so many more..

[quote name='Predator21281']But when music is done right, like in Halloween or Friday the 13th, it creates anpicitation for you know what's coming up next. Also, Psycho gets my vote.[/QUOTE]

gotta love the anpicitation

Another vote for Evil Dead, Re-Animator, The Thing, and Halloween.

May I also add Phantasm and From Beyond (which is STILL not out on DVD!!)

I enjoyed the Ring. The ferry scene got me. A week later I was on a ferry parked next to a horse trailer. Had to get away from that horse.

[quote name='mykevermin']I would imagine the anti-consumer overtones of Romero's DotD would have turned you off.
[/QUOTE]

because I'm a CAG'er? Hahaha

No, it's one of the few films I can think of with this attitude. Malls are weird; have you read Douglas Rushkoff's Coercion? You'll never look at a mall the same way again...

Anyone see Phantasm? It's cheesy today, but as a kid, the Tall Man scared the hell out of me.

[quote name='MadFlava']Yes, I totally forgot Psycho. I actually rank Psycho as my all time favorite film of all time because Hitchcock had the guts to pull off one the most unexpected twist ever in movie history. Two of his other films that I really love are Vertigo and Rear Window.[/QUOTE]
Psycho is a very good film, if only for Perkins acting. Low key and unassuming.

For other good suspense Hitch films try Strangers on a Train (Farley Granger is (I find) annoying, but Robert Walker is an amazing psychotic), The Birds., and my most recent favorite Hitchcock discovery, Shadow of a Doubt with Joseph Cotten.

I'm more of an older Hitch fan (20s/30s/40s), but there is no discounting his more modern film creations.

As for Horror films, I'd say Kubrick's The Shining is excellent. Carpenter's The Thing was enjoyable, but then I'm a closet Carpenter fan. [size=-2]As much as I love some of Kubricks more genius work (Barry Lyndon, 2001, Shining), almost any John Carpenter B-movie is a huge guilty pleasure of mine... They Live, Escape from NY, Assault on Precent 13, et cetera.

Of course I also dig old William Castle horror films (especially any with Vincent Price), so I may be a poor judge.
wink.gif
[/size]

I've mentioned a few films which aren't strictly speaking, Horror Films, but I tend to group Suspense/Thriller into the mix. For a few under-the-radar good Suspense films from the 80s, I have to mention Dead of Winter and The Changeling. More mainstream and late 80s/early 90s IIRC, would be Jacob's Ladder.

But my favorites havent been mentioned. M Night's Sixth Sense and Signs. I also love Unbreakable, but again that was more of a thriller.

Forgot to ask... Does Eraserhead qualify? Those chickens... they really creeped me out.

1.) Stanley Kubrick's The Shining

2.) Night of the Living Dead (1968)

3.) Halloween

4.) Dawn of the Dead (1978)

5.) The Devil's Rejects

6.) Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho

7.) Nosferatu the Vampire (1922)

8.) John Carpenter's The Thing

9.) Dracula (1931)

10.) Day of the Dead

Honorable mentions:

White Zombie (1932), Carnival of Souls (1962), Land of the Dead, Halloween 2, Evil Dead, Evil Dead II: Dead By Dawn, Army of Darkness, House of 1000 Corpses and some others, I assure you.

bread's done
Back