What is your favorite Metal Gear game, and why?

EDiddy0042

CAGiversary!
Feedback
61 (100%)
With MGS4 just having come out, and supposing it is the last one, I felt this would be a good discussion topic. So post your responses here, and discuss and debate your favorite Metal Gear game.

MGS1 or MGS4. I could never get through the NES games and I have never been able to get into MGS2. MGS3 was a great game, but there is something I love about MGS1 and 4.

MGS4. I'd hate to say by far, but it just is. I am (if udk already) a huge MGS fan. 1 was amazing when i first played, but i played 2 and thought it was so much better. 3 was amazing, changed games in general for me. However, after playing MGS4, it has knocked GTA III off the top to become my favorite videogame of all time. The game, as implied by many reviews, is indeed perfect.

MGS4 is my favorite easily, just a really solid ending piece to the saga of Solid Snake. Mgs3 though was my favorite before, couldn't really blame Big Boss after all the stuff he went through, and Ocelot was just funny back in his prime.

You should make a poll for this thread =). Personally, so far my favorite is MGS3, but that may change after I play MGS4 (most likely it will).

Metal Gear Solid 3 and 4. I like the story more better in 3 and "The Boss" fight was so emotional and epic beginning to end.

Although 4 gameplay was better than 3, its just the story wasn't as good as 3. Both are great games!

MGS1. At the time it was mos def the best game I played at the young age of 13-14. That shit was awesome.

EDIT: I picked MGS1 because at that time in gaming nothing else was quite like it. It was a pretty unique experience. Graphics were great, story was awesome, and Grey Fox a great support character. MGS1 = Amazing

That's a tough call... Metal Gear hasn't gotten a lot of love in this thread so far but it was an amazing game back in the 8-bit day. That being said for meI would say MGS 4 is my favorite with MGS1 coming in a close second followed by the NES Metal Gear, then MGS3 and MGS2.

MGS3. it has the most interesting gameplay (aside from the annoying cure menu.) I have yet to replay 4...but my first run through felt extremely light on actual gameplay.

Metal Gear Solid 3.

The wilderness, survival, and hunting. There was also a bit less gadgetry and more reliance on basic weaponry and equipment. I also like the subtle differences in Naked Snake's personality over Solid. Big Boss is just a more rounded full personality than Solid in ways, for me.

Plus 3 had The Boss. A fully competant, badass woman that did not need sex appeal in the least. Nothin' wrong with the 'ol sex appeal, but it's awesome to see a competant female character that is awesome without relying on it at all. That and her English Voice Actress did a WONDERFUL job.

Hell, whole voice cast was great in 3, like all the Metal Gears though.

I just wish I could take the wholly superior control scheme from 4 and imprint it on 3. Next favorites would be MGS4, MGS1, and lastly 2. I liked Raiden, actually... it's his damn girlfriend I HATED. Cannot STAND Rosemary in MGS2 OR 4. Eauughhhh.

Hoping for the possibility of a Metal Gear Meryl or Metal Gear Raiden next. Latter would be awesome if it focused on melee combat somehow.

[quote name='ninja dog']MGS3. it has the most interesting gameplay (aside from the annoying cure menu.) I have yet to replay 4...but my first run through felt extremely light on actual gameplay.[/QUOTE]

Did you play it first on Big Boss Hard? Cuz I find I'd rather go take a nap than play an MGS on anything but the hardest diff available first time through.

[quote name='Aleryn']
Hoping for the possibility of a Metal Gear Meryl or Metal Gear Raiden next. Latter would be awesome if it focused on melee combat somehow.
[/QUOTE]

I was thinking of this as well.

Does anyone think Akiba ( Spelling? ) would make a pretty cool main character?

MGS4 because some of the cutscenes were just too epic.
also
the fight between snake and ocelot at the end was mind-blowing

I wish 3 was my favorite but I just can't. I played it on the easiest difficulty though, in order to breeze through it to get the story before MGS4. I understand all the boss battles were layed out so amazingly, but because it was on Very Easy kind of ruined it. Until I go play MGS3 again, MGS4 is my favorite.

[quote name='Aleryn']
[/quote]

I want to see the next Metal Gear game star The Boss. It would be amazing to have the pacing and feel of Act 1 MGS4 but in WWII with The Boss kicking everybody's ass. Also, C-Section mini game!

Thanks for the input everybody. My favorite is probably Snake Eater as far as overall gameplay goes, but the weapon customization in 4 might be the coolest single aspect in the series. Snake Eater was just an overall good game, and put a high emphasis on stealth with all the camouflage. I know the series is supposed to be based on stealth, but Snake Eater introduced the camo aspect.

Metal Gear Solid 1 for sure. To this day its the only game that I've played all the way through 4 times. It was the game that really got me into games as a form of storytelling. That and some of the unique gameplay things it did were just plain awesome.

I'm on a very lonely boat here saying this but...

Acid 2

so good... the story wasnt amazing, but it was more about the gameplay.

in terms of the solid series I'd have to say a toss up between 2 and 3. 2 due to story complexity (you say it's convoluted, I say it's well layered), and 3 due to its great story and great gameplay with the best balance between the two in all MGS games.

MGS 3. If you compare all the MGS games, MGS 3's plot is the one that makes more sense. The cold war setting the fear of nuclear war, the way the game tides real historical events to its plot, made me think about patriotism and the way that goverments use the soldiers' loyalty and lifes.

Its close between MGS4 and MGS3, but MGS3 wins due to the fact that it was better able to draw me into its story and world. MGS4 has better gameplay mechanics, but its story/world was not as immersive IMO.

With MGS3 we got a more self-contained storyline. I really liked the character of Naked Snake and felt his story was very compelling. Gameplay and storyline felt like they flowed very well together in that game. It all added up to one great, immersive experience.

MGS4, in contrast, spreads its focus all over the place in its attempt to tie its storyline to all the other games. The individual acts in MGS4 were each great on their own, but they definitely felt like separate acts. So in the end you feel like you had 5 great experiences loosely tied together by a somewhat out-there storyline instead of one cohesive overall experience. Also, I think Naked Snake won me over too much in MGS3. I really wanted to see more Naked Snake. Old Snake was an OK character, but he came off a bit whiney.

This is a hard one.

But after some hard thinking MGS3, but MGS4 comes close.

I believe the cutscenes went on for way too long in mgs4. I'm not against the cutscenes, but you shouldn't bore us with every little detail possible. During the ending of MGS4, I could've sworn it was supposed to end at least 10 times before it actually did!

MGS3 seemed to be more to the point, and allowed you to actually play more. The story as a whole in MGS3 was just more believable and emotional as well. Nothing in MGS4 felt as strong as the Boss's sacrifice. I think MGS4 just got distracted at times in order to tie up all loose ends. I love Otacon and Johnny, but I don't want to hear about your dumb love stories when I could be hearing more about Snake.

Gameplay wise I think MGS3 had more of it, and sure it didn't have the fancy camera or refined controls that made MGS4 a joy to play, but it did have mgs gameplay at its best. Everything from the usual stealth fare to the boss fights, and even chase scenes were just a lot more fun than anything in MGS4.

MGS3 for me. MGS2 and MGS1 don't even touch it.

I think everyone should also let everyone know which Metal Gear Game they played first. I'm sure the younger gamers will automatically choose MGS3 or 4 just because they didn't played the previous 2 or played them past there prime.

[quote name='pimpinc333']I think everyone should also let everyone know which Metal Gear Game they played first. I'm sure the younger gamers will automatically choose MGS3 or 4 just because they didn't played the previous 2 or played them past there prime.[/quote]

I've played every Metal Gear in order (except 4) starting on the NES and I still think MGS1 is the best of them all. Then probably MGS3. The original Metal Gear was pretty sweet for its time though.

MGS4.

I liked the others alot, however the control scheme in MGS4 really sealed the deal. Also the Cutscenes and Story elements were absolutely the most epic in a game, ever.

[quote name='pimpinc333']I think everyone should also let everyone know which Metal Gear Game they played first. I'm sure the younger gamers will automatically choose MGS3 or 4 just because they didn't played the previous 2 or played them past there prime.[/quote]

Yes, that way we will know that people that favor 1 are only being nostalgic.

Definately MGS4. It was just too epic.

But in second place.....believe it or not, MGS2. I have no idea why. I think because MGS established so many memorable characters and I never thought there would be a sequel. As much as Raiden was a buzzkill, MGS2 established a ton in the overall story.

I still love playing the Tanker Chapter too.

My favorite was 3. All aspects of the game came together very well. It had an interesting, emotional story, great characters, and probably the best boss fights in the series (the end anyone?). I'd actually argue that the ending sequence from MGS3 was more epic than 4, starting from the first fight with volgin all the way to the end.

Metal Gear Solid 3

As others have mentioned everything about the game is more to the point (obviously).

It had in general my favorite boss fights out of the entire series as well. The battles against Ocelot, The Boss and The End were so epic.

MGS 3 for having the best story, intersting characters, great ending. But I do think the bosses in MGS1 are the best.

I'm an older gamer who recently played through the whole series for the first time. MGS1 was great, but definitely a bit antiquated. It's exactly like FF7 in that sense. FF7 is a great RPG and was fucking amazing at launch. Nowadays, people can play it and recognize it as a great game, but there's not much of a chance they'll have the same religious experience people had playing it when it first came out.

MGS2, MGS3, and MGS4 all feel more up to the times and gameplay-wise, they are all on pretty much the same level, with some obvious advancements with each successive one (though obviously not like the leap from MGS1 to MGS2.)

Out of those 3, MGS3:Subsistence comes out on top in terms of gameplay--there's just more of it and I find the jungle locale to be the most interesting for stealth. MGS2 was great, but the boss fights are not on par with 3 and the Big Shell is just a very bland place to have a game. MGS4 seems like a condensed version of 3, but once again, the boss fights are not as interesting with a few exceptions. On the other hand, some of the gameplay sections in 4 are among my favorite in any game ever.

I don't judge the games by story, but fwiw, I think the story in 3 is the most down to Earth and self-contained, which helps. By the time I played 4, I just didn't care about Solid Snake's convoluted arc at all.

MGS1, simply because it blew my mind when it was released, and it is the last game that I remember being epically good at. I was amazing at MGS1.

[quote name='pimpinc333']I was thinking of this as well.

Does anyone think Akiba ( Spelling? ) would make a pretty cool main character?[/quote]

YESSSS!! Metal Gear Johnny! You could play as the whole clan of Johnnys throughout history, occasionally running into Snake. Kind of like an outside perspective of the events of the MGS series.

And to answers the OP, I can't decide between MGS and MGS4. Overall, I think MGS is the best, but MGS4 does so much justice to the series as a whole.

Last edited by a moderator:
MGS3. The ending blew my mind, and still stands out as the best ending to a video game ever....to me. MGS4's was great, but MGS3's ending just...wow.

1 = 4 > 2

Never played 3, PO, or the original MG's.

MGS1 was mind blowing at the time, but 4 was just amazing and epic as well. They both stand equal in my view. MGS1 left more of an impression on me I suppose, but I loved them both. 2 was good, but not great.

I have to get around to playing 3 one of these days.

I haven't started playing MGS4's story yet so I can't pick MGS4 as most would.
I'd have to say my favorite is MGS3 since the game was so engaging. It was one of those games where I was disappointed to have finished cause I just wanted the experience to continue on.
MGS1 would be a close second, it was the first game where I was completely shocked at how amazing a game could be. Also one of the first games that I played through more than once.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']Acid 2[/QUOTE]

Sir, I commend you for having an open mind to try new things. Acid is indeed a cool series and it sucks that it got shit on by the hardcore solid fanboys because of the battle system, which I totally love. Then again, I'm a huge geek.

I can't really say I have a favorite yet, as I've only completed 3 and 1 (Twin Snakes), and it's been so long since I played Twin Snakes that I couldn't accurately compare the two.

I agree with the others in this topic, The Boss was a good, original character in terms of the fact that she was basically in her late 40s (?) and athletic. However, I will say that the developers really pissed me off by not including the 3rd person Subsistence camera in the final fight. What the fuck! I got used to playing the entire game with a normal swivel camera, and by the time I got to the end I felt like Kojima had mercilessly ripped my right analog stick from it's socket. Ass.

I forgot that I played through MGS3 with a sixaxis on my PS3 so there wasn't any rumble in the game. I regret that...

bread's done
Back