What Kind of Watch Do You Wear? {Update 10/8: Chose the Citizen Eco-Drive 180}

Ma12kez

CAGiversary!
Feedback
40 (100%)
::I wasn't sure if this belonged in the "Other Deals & Requests" forum or this one. So mods can move if it's in the wrong place::

I've been using the same watch (Citizen brand) for about 9 years now and it finally broke recently. So I'm in the market for a new watch. For some reason my skin is allergic to the rubber/leather banded watches, so I'm mainly looking to get a metal one. I know most of you would probably say, "just use your cell phone." However, my boss/work doesn't allow the use of cell phones in any manner, so that idea is out of the question. Any suggestions would be great (brand, design, etc.) so that I'd have something in mind when I do go out and shop for one. As for price, it's not really an issue unless it's an obscene amount of money; just looking for a reasonable price.

In addition, this ordeal prompted me to create this thread to see what kind of watches CAGs wear on a daily basis. So just post a picture or a link to your watch. I thought this would be fun idea so post away! I'll most likely post my watch once I get it.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

::EDIT (1):: 10/8

Wow, from an early look, seems like most people have Fossils or Citizens. I'm leaning towards another Citizen watch since my last one lasted me almost a decade; but I'll wait to see what other watches people suggest. I did some research and I'm currently looking at this titanium Eco Drive model (as mentioned by Moxio), and it looks pretty sweet for $299 (50% off MSRP)! To anyone that has this model or a version of it: how fragile is it, and how long have you had it?

Eco-Drive Frequently Asked Questions
How can you tell if the Eco-Drive watch is getting enough light? In normal use, the watch displays the time and the sweep-second hand moves in one second intervals. A very important feature of Eco-Drive is the Low Charge Warning Mode which as a result of low battery voltage, causes the second hand to jump two seconds at a time (while still keeping correct time).
How long will an Eco-Drive watch run after it is fully charged?
If your watch is put away where no light is available to it while in a fully charged state, depending on the model, it will run for from 45 days to 5 years.
How can the Eco-Drive watch be recharged?
Besides sunlight, it can be safely charged by exposing it to a fluorescent desk lamp, with the dial (face) up and within about 8 inches or an incandescent lamp (regular light bulb) no closer than 20 inches. Never use a halogen lamp since the heat generated by it can cause damage to your watch. The most efficient and the quickest is in direct bright sunlight (not windowsill) and never on the dashboard of a car.
Warranty
It's backed by Citizen's 5-year warranty (from original date of purchase).
::EDIT (2):: 10/8

Upon more research and browsing, I ran into this Eco Drive 180 model. It's a lot cheaper ($145 shipped), and it looks pretty decent. The dial isn't as huge either lol. The only problem I have with it is that it's stainless steel (I'd prefer titanium for a lighter wear). What do you guys think?

::EDIT (3):: 10/8

Alright guys, I finally decided to order the Citizen Men's Eco-Drive 180 for $145 shipped. Thanks for all the suggestions CAGs, but I just couldn't pass up on the Eco Drive technology and a decent price (also the aspect of not needing a battery)!

Oh and DJ K8E, that watch you posted was crazy beautiful!:hot:

Hey, Citizen for me, too. Battery, but the one it came with lasted over 6 years, so I'm pleased with its energy consumption.

I had a killer Fossil before they started to be heavily manufactured in China and of terrible quality. Kicked ass. Never had to change the battery in 6+ years until last June, and then after I did that I lost it. Bought my self a nice Kenneth Cole Square face watch since I've always wanted one with a square, but could just never see myself owning two of the same thing.

[quote name='Moxio']Citizen. They rock.

I'm using a Citizen EcoDrive.[/quote]Oh wow, that Eco Drive is awesome! I never knew they made solar powered watches. Then again, I haven't been in the market for one in about 9 years so yeah.

[quote name='Ma12kez']Oh wow, that Eco Drive is awesome! I never knew they made solar powered watches. Then again, I haven't been in the market for one in about 9 years so yeah.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Citizen is (in my opinion) the pinnacle of watch-making (excluding bigger dogs like Rolex).

[quote name='Moxio']Yeah, Citizen is (in my opinion) the pinnacle of watch-making (excluding bigger dogs like Rolex).[/quote]

Good thing you said excluding Rolex.;) Saving up for a Rolex Stainless Steel Daytona, but if only I could get on a waiting list:roll: Guess I'm not celeb enough yet and Ebay is too much mark-up. There's also this one watch I want to get if not a Rolex, but I can't remember its name for the life of me.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']There's also this one watch I want to get if not a Rolex, but I can't remember its name for the life of me.[/QUOTE]Omega?

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Good thing you said excluding Rolex.;) Saving up for a Rolex Stainless Steel Daytona, but if only I could get on a waiting list:roll: Guess I'm not celeb enough yet and Ebay is too much mark-up. There's also this one watch I want to get if not a Rolex, but I can't remember its name for the life of me.[/QUOTE]

I'm not too big a fan of Rolex's, actually. To me the EcoDrive is a blend of class and longevity: looks great, and it never needs a battery (assuming you don't like in a dark cave :rofl: )

[quote name='Moxio']I'm not too big a fan of Rolex's, actually. To me the EcoDrive is a blend of class and longevity: looks great, and it never needs a battery (assuming you don't like in a dark cave :rofl: )[/QUOTE]You're boned if the sun gets blocked, though.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Good thing you said excluding Rolex.;) Saving up for a Rolex Stainless Steel Daytona, but if only I could get on a waiting list:roll: Guess I'm not celeb enough yet and Ebay is too much mark-up. There's also this one watch I want to get if not a Rolex, but I can't remember its name for the life of me.[/quote]Yeah, Rolexes are pretty sweet, but I can't see myself spending $5,000+:hot: on one like my father did.
[quote name='jmcc']Omega?[/quote]Isn't that the brand James Bond uses?

[quote name='Ma12kez']Yeah, Rolexes are pretty sweet, but I can't see myself spending $5,000+:hot: on one like my father did.
Isn't that the brand James Bond uses?[/QUOTE]Yes. And also Agent Mulder.

[quote name='jmcc']You're boned if the sun gets blocked, though.[/QUOTE]

By clouds?

Having my watch out in the sun for a couple hours charges it for months. Months. ;)

[quote name='Moxio']By clouds?

Having my watch out in the sun for a couple hours charges it for months. Months. ;)[/QUOTE]No, I mean by an asteroid hit or nuclear thing or the moon being a dick.

I have a Citizen as well. I never knew so many people had one

I have no idea what type it is and I couldn't tell from the site. Is there a way to tell?

I used to carry a pocket watch. I like how they look, it broke one day. So I quit wearing watches, plus I have a cell.

[quote name='2Fast']My watch looks a lot like this except my band is different, and the face is a bit different too.[/QUOTE]

So then it wouldn't look anything like the watch you linked to :lol:

it looks like this but its different in everyway, very much like this item buy completey different. :lol:

I just took a look at my watches to see if there's any specific name to it and I just found out the battery has gone dead. Great timing (no pun intended).

Anyhow, I have two watches, the first is a standard Timex with a metal clasp. I got it four years ago and it's taken a pounding, but it still works and looks just fine (when the battery isn't dead, mind you).

My second watch is a Tourneau that was given to me as a gift/award from my old car dealership for winning Honda's Presidential Award. It was designed exclusively for Honda. The leather band kinda looks cheap though.

It looks quite a bit like this, but slightly different since it's a Honda "exclusive." It looks like it's a $300 watch though (if you use that watch as a guideline).

I currently wear a Seiko Kinetic. I used to wear a Citzen though. I haven't had a need for a new watch in like 6 years and I'm getting tired of wearing them. I'll probably just start using my cell phone.

The last watch I got was for xmas 2004 from my ex, after we broke up nearly a year after that I stopped wearing it. Been using my cell phone and if I don't I don't wear anything else.

Citizen. It was a gift when I earned my Eagle Scout, it's gold and has an eagle on it.

Best. Watch. Ever.

The battery lasted almost 3 years, and it keeps perfect time! Plus, it is very comfortable.

Me: Kenneth Cole and Skagen
Dad: Breitling and Zenith
Mom: Rolex
Brother: Movado

Working on a Rolex Air King for graduation :)

[quote name='Moxio']I'm not too big a fan of Rolex's, actually. To me the EcoDrive is a blend of class and longevity: looks great, and it never needs a battery (assuming you don't like in a dark cave :rofl: )[/quote]
You do know genuine Rolexs, at least the Perpetual line, don't need a battery either. They run basically off the motion of your daily walking. The Perpetual motor converts movement through the arm and wrist into energy for the watch. That's a small part of why Rolex watches are so expensive (a very small part, but a part).

That considered, I have a Fauxlex for lack of a better term. It looks exactly like a Rolex Yacht Master but I'm pretty sure it runs on a battery. Still, it's amazingly well on keeping time and looks awesome, so it works for me. Until I get out of college and get a real job, when I may look into a real Rolex, though most likely not.

[quote name='karsh']You do know genuine Rolexs, at least the Perpetual line, don't need a battery either. They run basically off the motion of your daily walking. The Perpetual motor converts movement through the arm and wrist into energy for the watch. That's a small part of why Rolex watches are so expensive (a very small part, but a part).

That considered, I have a Fauxlex for lack of a better term. It looks exactly like a Rolex Yacht Master but I'm pretty sure it runs on a battery. Still, it's amazingly well on keeping time and looks awesome, so it works for me. Until I get out of college and get a real job, when I may look into a real Rolex, though most likely not.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, my mom's is a perpetual. It's had like one or two minor problems, but it's a great watch.

I've got this watch, it really is an awesome time killer. unfortunatly like the one in the picture, mine needs a new battery.
39_1_b.JPG

i've got an invicta for normal wear... very nice deep blue and purple combination with a metal band, large face, and is perpetual.

citizen eco-drive is a very good choice.

[quote name='karsh']You do know genuine Rolexs, at least the Perpetual line, don't need a battery either. They run basically off the motion of your daily walking. The Perpetual motor converts movement through the arm and wrist into energy for the watch. That's a small part of why Rolex watches are so expensive (a very small part, but a part).

That considered, I have a Fauxlex for lack of a better term. It looks exactly like a Rolex Yacht Master but I'm pretty sure it runs on a battery. Still, it's amazingly well on keeping time and looks awesome, so it works for me. Until I get out of college and get a real job, when I may look into a real Rolex, though most likely not.[/QUOTE]

My uncle's Rolex I think has that also.

However, I'd rather save myself a few thousand bucks. :lol:

bread's done
Back