What music do you listen to when you game?

For games I play a lot or games where the music doesn't matter, I like to supply my own soundtrack. For fighting games, I like to start a heavy metal mix on Pandora. For fantasy games, nothing beats Rush - haha. Pandora usually comes in clutch either way.

The marketing company I work for is actually doing a promotion for Energizer/Pandora. To celebrate the launch of Advanced Lithium batteries, Energizer is joining forces with Pandora to create a massive music message board. You can check it out at: youcastcorp.com/energizer/pandora.

So, what do you guys listen to when you play video games?

This might be the fruitiest thing I've ever admitted to, but I'm a major wuss when it comes to scary games or scary parts of games, so in those instances, I play a podcast so I don't get too immersed. :oops:

*hangs head in shame*

Other than that, I don't play music while gaming for the exact opposite reason I just stated .. so I CAN be immersed.

[quote name='Maklershed']This might be the fruitiest thing I've ever admitted to, but I'm a major wuss when it comes to scary games or scary parts of games, so in those instances, I play a podcast so I don't get too immersed.[/quote]

Aw man, you wuss. I have every other sound off and turn UP the volume and turn the lights out so I can get into the game. Dead Space and Silent Hill are the best in regards to sound..

As far as other games.. usually just the game's soundtrack. Sometimes a mix of NIN and Rob Zombie for racing games.

I do like how you threw in the plug though.

Well I generally start it off with a bit of
57007b3db118f3564a60213a6457842f_full.jpg
then move on to
album_jb_lastscream.jpg
. This is generally followed by
B0001JXPFM.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
B0007U8XHU.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
B000001IOM.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
, and/or
Cash_060706105953346_wideweb__300x300.jpg
. Oh, and
402.jpg
and
2576.jpg

Unless I'm playing horror or something.

EDIT:
51g8c%2BM7PEL._SL500_AA240_.jpg
B000MTDN44.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_V46707572_AA240_.jpg

EDIT2: No outside music during Killer7, either - gotta listen for the laughter. I keep it fairly low during a game of Starcraft. Sometimes pass on it altogether for Brawl.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's actually a positive thing, but the soundtracks in games recently have been worth listening to more than in past generations, IMO. Of course, you have the games like Halo which bitch about music - or the game like Left 4 Dead which plays off musical cues so you can't too much there.

Really the only game I can think of at the moment would be Crackdown since it's just such a brain dead shooter (in the good way!). I put together a custom soundtrack from my PC for that one. Nothing like booting up into a level and blasting:
"WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE BABY! YOU'RE GONNA DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIE!"

The only time I listen to music while gaming is when I am playing online, and that usually consists of any harder rock, metal, or anything of that nature.

I use my own soundtracks for racing games, specifically Project Gotham Racing 4. I use these...

R4: Ridge Racer Type 4 - Intro theme
R4: Ridge Racer Type 4 - Pac-Man theme
Joe Budden - Pump It Up
Steppenwolf - Magic Carpet Ride
Metallica - Enter Sandman
Jay-Z - Show Me What You Got
Missy Elliott feat Ciara - Lose Control
Basement Jaxx - Where's Your Head At
Basement Jaxx - Red Alert
Daft Punk - Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
Daft Punk - Aerodynamic
Jamiroquai - Little L
Armand van Helden ft. Common - Full Moon

There's more, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head right now.

I don't really play console games anymore -- and the only PC game I play is Warcraft 3, where I'm super competitive so I need the sound effects. I play DS quite a bit, but I hate the lo-fi sound so I usually just play with the sound off.

So the answer is none.

the ingame music. i was hoping that gta4 would allow you to add music in the way you could with gta sn andreas on the xbox but i dont think you can nt that itd matter since you cant hear the music too well in the game.

I usually listen to the game's soundtrack. I like to listen to the sound of the TV if it's on in the other room.

Try this for an added challenge in Rock Band. Listen to something totally different than the song you are playing.

I have to have music playing for any MP shooter that I play, and for most others, too. It's mainly just a blend of electronic music, but I like it there because it gets the 'ol blood pumping and really matches the rhythm of most games I'm playing (Gears, CoD, Halo, etc.).

bread's done
Back