What online FPS to buy?

tcrash247

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
I just got a network adapter and I'm planning on buying a PS2 game after Christmas so I have something thats not Tony Hawk to play online. I really want a FPS to play but I don't know which to buy. I'm pretty torn between Killzone, Goldeneye, and Star Wars Battlefront. I've been looking for cheaper alternatives like Warhammer 40K and XIII, but I doubt anyone plays them anymore. So, which of those 3 should I get? Oh, also I already have SOCOM II but I need a new memory card to save info on, so I can't really play it yet.

none, get Ratchet and Clank:UYA. It plays just like a FPS, but has a third person perspective (a la SOCOM)

the beta was very fun (I was in top 25 in terms of play-time with it, as I was really hooked)

Killzone has wonky controls, Battlefront sucks on the PS2 for online play from what I read in the reviews, and Goldeneye supposedly flat out sucks

why not buy a cheapass memory card so you can play SOCOM? it's probably cheaper...

Anyway i also tested R&C: UYA and its awesome. i'd go for that as there are no other games (other than socom) worth playing online for PS2.

socom is the best. I just got call of duty and there isnt much teamwork. THere is no real sence of excitement either. U kill somebody, wopidy doo there back alive in 5 seconds.

[quote name='whiteboy']why not buy a cheapass memory card so you can play SOCOM? it's probably cheaper...

Anyway i also tested R&C: UYA and its awesome. i'd go for that as there are no other games (other than socom) worth playing online for PS2.[/quote]

I would buy the hard drive instead of another memory card since there are downloadable maps for SOCOM II now.

also the hard drive is cheap now

I don't usually like platformers, but I'll have to read up on R&C. I forgot that was online too. And for the dude that said wait, I'm planning on getting TimeSplitters 3 and Project Snowblind, they look awesome!

[quote name='CaseyRyback'][quote name='whiteboy']why not buy a cheapass memory card so you can play SOCOM? it's probably cheaper...

Anyway i also tested R&C: UYA and its awesome. i'd go for that as there are no other games (other than socom) worth playing online for PS2.[/quote]

I would buy the hard drive instead of another memory card since there are downloadable maps for SOCOM II now.

also the hard drive is cheap now[/quote]

Its cheap now?? How cheap and where? I'd like to get the HDD without FF though, I wouldn't play it.

Automatically rule out golden eye. If I were you, out of the remaining two, I'd go with killzone. You really should wait on games like Snowblind, and Time Splitters 3 though.

I agree with casey, Goldeneye is terrible. I wanted to like it so much but its actually tries to clone the halo 2 engine but doesnt succeed. I never got around to playing it online, but the single player was so ba it wouldnt make me warrent a purchase.

Get Ratchet and clank Up your aresenal I know its not an FPS but its good.

[quote name='tcrash247'][quote name='CaseyRyback'][quote name='whiteboy']why not buy a cheapass memory card so you can play SOCOM? it's probably cheaper...

also the hard drive is cheap now[/quote]

Its cheap now?? How cheap and where? I'd like to get the HDD without FF though, I wouldn't play it.[/quote]

Scorch said he found one for 40 at his local Sears so I would check there, if not, you could probably get one used for cheap

and R&C online is nothing like a platformer. Almost like a game of Unreal Tournament in the R&C universe. The action is fast, the weapons are varied, and the game does an amazing job of keeping the big levels feeling smaller than they are by having turrets at nodes, and vehicles to travel long distances.

Let's see...good online FPS's for PS2...well, there's Socom 2...Socom 2 and...Socom 2. Sorry brotha', looks like you're gonna have to either get Socom 2 or an Xbox.

/raises flame shield

[quote name='XboxMaster']Let's see...good online FPS's for PS2...well, there's Socom 2...Socom 2 and...Socom 2. Sorry brotha', looks like you're gonna have to either get Socom 2 or an Xbox.

/raises flame shield[/quote]
ZING! :D

R&C UYA is the best and it can be played in first-person if you want.

Other than that, I'd say Killzone is the second best, but it can't compare to R&C.

EDIT: PS2 really isn't a good system for online FPSs though.

[quote name='PenguinMaster']R&C UYA is the best and it can be played in first-person if you want.

Other than that, I'd say Killzone is the second best, but it can't compare to R&C.

EDIT: PS2 really isn't a good system for online FPSs though.[/quote]

What, are you joking me?! Socom 2 is the CLEAR victor for best online PS2 FPS.

Thanks for all the input. I guess my two choices now are R&C and Killzone. Its a shame because I really wanted to like Goldeneye. And I thought Star Wars looked really good, but I guess not. And now I gotta go to Sears and check out their HDDs.

Go with R&C UYA, Killzone (only if you like realistic weaponry... that's fake... i love it), or wait for what will probably be THE best (yes, i hate Halo and Halo2) online shooter: Timesplitters 3: Future Perfect (it also helps since you can make your own levels and play them online). So I say wait or get an Xbox (dont get Halo2 though... jk.) I heard there's also a MMOFPS (not MMORPG...) comming out for Xbox, but this is a PS2 topic so... yeah.

SOCOM IS NOT AN FPS

It is a tactical THIRD person shooter.

There is a massive difference in game style.

[quote name='JohnHam']SOCOM IS NOT AN FPS

There is a massive difference in game style.[/quote]

There is not a massive difference in gameplay! The only difference is that it's a third-person shooter. It's still a shooter--you still kill people. Also, why don't you point out that Ratchet and Clank is not an FPS, huh, dumbass? You can switch it to freakin' first-person mode anyway. WTF, why am I the only one supporting Socom 2? None of y'all must've played it yet, because it's definitely the CLEAR victor for online PS2 FPS's.

Like some others said, go out and get that memory card and just play Socom II. If you can, I'd get a headset also...it makes teamwork a lot easier, and some of the comments made are pretty hilarious.

[quote name='XboxMaster'][quote name='JohnHam']SOCOM IS NOT AN FPS

There is not a massive difference in gameplay! The only difference is that it's a third-person shooter...None of y'all must've played it yet, because it's definitely the CLEAR victor for online PS2 FPS's.[/quote]

Cocaine is a hell of a drug!

[quote name='jmcc'][quote name='XboxMaster'][quote name='JohnHam']SOCOM IS NOT AN FPS

There is not a massive difference in gameplay! The only difference is that it's a third-person shooter...None of y'all must've played it yet, because it's definitely the CLEAR victor for online PS2 FPS's.[/quote]

Cocaine is a hell of a drug![/quote]

:lol: You got me there.

If you wanted to play FPS you really should be playing them on the Xbox or a PC. However, the upcoming Timesplitter: Future Perfect, Project: Snowblind(I think thats what its called) and Area 51 should be pretty good.

[quote name='XboxMaster'][quote name='jmcc'][quote name='XboxMaster'][quote name='JohnHam']SOCOM IS NOT AN FPS

Cocaine is a hell of a drug![/quote]

:lol: You got me there.[/quote]

There is a massive difference in the way one plays a FPS as opposed to a TPS.

In a TPS you have a larger range of vision, and that makes it somewhat ;ess "twitchy" than a FPS, where you need to be constantly moving to see what is happening around you.

For that reason, TPSes have a slower pace in general.

I'm not saying anything about Ratchet and Clank because I've never played it. However, I was a SOCOM junkie for a year or so.

Reading about this hear Rachet and Clank is kinda tempting...one question tho...how many ppl are usually online for R&C? I know Socom had like 30,000 when i played but that was months ago.

You should be able to find Medal of Honor: Rising Sun pretty cheap. It's ok online. Not the best FPS to play but not the worst either.

Go with Killzone. It has both a great single player and multiplayer mode. Other than the minor bugs and rarely sketchy framerate (offline only--online is smooth), the game is, in my opinion, the best FPS game on the PS2. Oh, yeah, one problem, though. Much like SOCOM 2, you're going to need 3MB or more to download the patch for online. So, you might want to consider another memory card, or, better yet, the hard drive.

bread's done
Back