What should I do?

Go back to Wal-Mart. fuck that waiting for a call shit. Go in there, and firmly tell them that you're not leaving until you get a refund or an exchange.

I am sure some1 said to check to see if the ipod has been registered.

Another way is to ask apple if the ipod's been registered and ask for a proof of the registration if possible (the date has to be be4 the date you purchased of course). Then you will have grounds to fight with Wal-mart.

Hope it all works out dude.

[quote name='Malik112099']i bought a psp a few weeks ago from walmart and the guy in electronics told me he was required to open it and make sure everything was there....so he opened it and pulled everything out in front of me and made sure I was happy and then put it all back nicely in the box and I went on my way[/quote]yikes.. i mean that sounds so sincere and all, but what happens if its a gift? im actually not comfortable with them doing that at all. imagine them doing that to a game to inspect to see if its the right disc. but if it worked good for you, then i guess thats what matters the most.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']
But the shrinkwrapping points to at least someone with access to a machine to wrap said item. Does Wal*Mart actually have a shrinkwrap machine in their stores? I mean, I worked for them back in the day, but I never noticed any such thing.

Although, all most resealing/shrinkwrapping set-ups that I've seen have entailed a roll of the plastic film and something that looked like an oversized hair dryer, so maybe someone figured out how to do that at home and did that here?

Either way, I'd fight for either a refund or an even exchange for what you thought you were buying, ReaperZERO.

That's the only problem with Wal*Mart, is that they're so lax in taking returns on stuff usually, which is why we have had so many people here suggest return fraud as a legit method of getting what they want without paying full retail for it.[/quote]
they do sell them on ebay. its very easy to get and everyone can do it. as far as the hair dryer to shrink it, the heat is not enough to shrink it fast. i was told that it will cause the plastic to eventually break and melt and it will leave a nasty mark on the thing youre trying to shrink wrap it to. i've had experience with it at my bro's work (he works at a video game store) when i was relieving him. they normally use a heat gun to do it.

so someone who actually have access to it through the store they work at or they bought one themselves. they dont have them at walmart i believe. they might but im sure its a big security risk to have one of those if youre some sort of dept. store like walmart.
[quote name='Mizzou75']Seriously, you should keep calling them. Keep the pressure on.[/quote]this. i would take it all the way to corporate if i were you. it wasn't your fault. its part their fault for being lax in security.

someone had a similar story at Target that was posted on consumerist.com. the person bought an ipod only to find that they were filled with rocks. she did it again and she opened it infront of the cashier, and sure enough there were rocks in it as well.

Melanie Ritter thought she was buying a video iPod from Target for her daughter's birthday, only to open the box and find rocks inside. Imagine how much more disappointed she was the second time this happened. I've heard of rocking out to your iPod, but this is ridiculous!

When Ritter tried to exchange the first iPod, they didn't have the same iPod in stock. When she asked for a full cash refund, Target said they could only give her in-store credit because Mrs. Ritter had bought the box of rocks on a store credit card. She drove to a second Target which did have the iPod in stock. She asked to open the box first but the store said she had to buy it before she could open it. She did, and opened it in front of the employee, only to find it too was only filled with rocks. Defeated, Mrs. Ritter told her daughter to pick out $350 worth of merchandise around the store for her birthday present. Then Mrs. Ritter contacted a consumer reporter who has only been able to get pat boilerplate answers out of Target so far.

Sigh. Ok. Here we go. One, Target obviously has a supply chain problem in the Fort Worth, TX with assholes replacing iPods with rocks. Two, Mrs. Ritter might have had more success getting a full refund at that first store if she had called Target's 1-800 line while she was in that store, or asked for a manager. Escalate. Don't just accept the laminated notebook answer the grunts give you. This was obviously an extenuating circumstance where the no refund policy should have been waived, and it takes someone in a position of higher authority to do that.. Shoppers have a policy of their own, it's called the "we don't accept rocks in place of my iPod" policy.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']"The wheels of justice may grind slowly, but they're moving!"[/QUOTE]

Don't you wish, it's the old "let's just ignore this and hope it goes away" approach.

Just because you've worked in retail and have dealt w/ wrath before doesn't mean you need to be a doormat for any retailer to trample on.. I've worked in nothing but retail management for the majority of my work life and there's no way I'd expect anyone to just put up w/ this.. it's time to call the BBB office in your area and file a complaint along w/ going back to Wal-Mart and talking w/ the GM if the matter still isn't resolved demand the District and Regional manager's numbers.. call Wal-Mart HQ's do not talk to a CSR deal w/ management only.. you're gonna have to give back what they've been giving you to make some progress here.

You need to stand out in front of walmart handing out flyers to all the customers coming in about your experience. Explain your story to people and try to get them to shop at another store because of your experience. At the very least you could probably deter them from walmart's electronics department. You have done a good job deterring me from walmart's electronics department. Once management finds out you are going to do this they should take care of you pretty quickly since you would be turning off potential customers. You need to hit them in their bottom line for it to count.

Don't let this slide, I would stop waiting right now and go back to that store and do something about it. By waiting you are telling them that you might just go away. Consumers need to stand up to these retail store giants and put them in their place!

[quote name='cdubya42']Just because you've worked in retail and have dealt w/ wrath before doesn't mean you need to be a doormat for any retailer to trample on.. I've worked in nothing but retail management for the majority of my work life and there's no way I'd expect anyone to just put up w/ this.. it's time to call the BBB office in your area and file a complaint along w/ going back to Wal-Mart and talking w/ the GM if the matter still isn't resolved demand the District and Regional manager's numbers.. call Wal-Mart HQ's do not talk to a CSR deal w/ management only.. you're gonna have to give back what they've been giving you to make some progress here.[/quote]

What he/she says above.
DO NOT let another day go by.
Call the Wally's and ask if the store's manager is in.
GO in and see he/she.
If not, call the District Manager AND call corporate.
This should be handled by Wally's not Apple (but hey, if they will solve it ... take it)....
It appears Wally's took back a used unit, they need to apologize to you and replace it...
AGAIN, do not let another day go buy! That's alot of $$!
Good luck!
Keep a list of dates, times and who you spoke to ....
and I would not tell Wally's management about your calls to apple ... it just gives them an out...

I got ahold of the person that called me initially today. She said she just got done researching it, looking at tapes, talking to everyone she needed to talk to... and said there was no reason I shouldn't be able to return it. However, she needs to talk to her boss, who had said no earlier, possibly the first time, and tell her what she's found out and see what she has to say since it's ultimately her call. So I'm going to keep calling to find out what the verdict is, and if it's a no from whoever that bitch is, then I'm just going to tell her she better prepare for a shitstorm because the second I hang up that phone with her I'm calling every local news station in the area to let them know how I've been wronged.

What's worth more, the iPod, or my story on the 6 o'clock news?

[quote name='dinobot']I am sure some1 said to check to see if the ipod has been registered.[/quote]

How do I do this?

EDIT: Called Apple, the one I have has not been registered.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ReaperZER0']I got ahold of the person that called me initially today. She said she just got done researching it, looking at tapes, talking to everyone she needed to talk to... and said there was no reason I shouldn't be able to return it. However, she needs to talk to her boss, who had said no earlier, possibly the first time, and tell her what she's found out and see what she has to say since it's ultimately her call. So I'm going to keep calling to find out what the verdict is, and if it's a no from whoever that bitch is, then I'm just going to tell her she better prepare for a shitstorm because the second I hang up that phone with her I'm calling every local news station in the area to let them know how I've been wronged.

What's worth more, the iPod, or my story on the 6 o'clock news?[/quote]

well, with the economy and race news...not sure any adult paying attention would worry about the stations airing your situation But If you find out the DMs name (customer service at this store or at Wally's corporate) is where you will be placing an immediate call...now that might get her to back peddle...but honestly, I would already have been all over that ... they took your money in a heartbeat...why do you now have to wait on their slow response...
Get' ur done and all the best!

PS Apple registration is a joke...so don't put too much into that at all...

I was watching a show/documentry about a old women returning Re-sealed IPODS to Target for her 30 year old son (Filling the box with junk before resealing it and having his elderly mom take it back).....Then sold them all on Ebay, made Thousands, did it close to 100 times, beflore they caught on and his mom and him both arrested....here is another story of folks buying IPODS from wal-mart but when they get home find something else.....

http://www.macnn.com/articles/05/12/29/ipod.replaced.with.meat/

The news story is worth more because it will ultimately hit them in the pocketbook. Its right before the busy holiday season and with the economy the way it is they DO NOT need any bad publicity coming their way. You did nothing wrong, they took your money, and the longer you wait the harder it will be to get your money back.

Also, I think you deserve some type of compensation for what happened, they should give you an even exchange and at least a $50 gift card on top of it for your gasoline expenses in going to the store a million times to try and get this resolved and for your time. Time is precious and that time that you wasted on this you could have been spending with your brand new Ipod enjoying it.

If they exchanged it right away then I would say it would be OK if they didn't give you compensation but since its dragged out this long I definitely think you should be getting something extra for your troubles.

[quote name='ReaperZER0']I'm calling every local news station in the area to let them know how I've been wronged.

What's worth more, the iPod, or my story on the 6 o'clock news?[/quote]

Just a tid bit of info... that reminded me that around Christmas time last year a incident similar to yours happened and was reported on and resolved through our local news here. What happened w/ it was a mom and dad gave their 12 y/o daughter an iPod as a gift that was purchased from Wal Mart as a brandnew item only to find out that Christmas morning it was loaded w/ vulgar music and xxx movies. I need to do some digging for the story but I'll post it as soon as I find it. There's been a few stories recently as well about them putting opened(returned items)back on the shelf and selling them as brand new items. any who.. keep your chin up and hang in there.

bread's done
Back