What to buy PSP or DS Lite?

taiidanx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
*I hope this is the right forum, didnt want to stick it in a specific company category, or in the CAG Lifestyle since it is gaming related.

I work a ton of hours at a really good pay rate for a college student, and have my finances under control. Back in the black and and able to save a pretty good amount of money each month, and made a tidy sum from some Ebay auctions. Anyways, I am going to be switching to the 3rd shift at my job and I am going to have tons of down time and I though it would be cool to invest in a handheld system.

So I was wondering what the overall consensus is on the two systems? The DS price point is appealing (for games as well which would be nice for down the road), as well as BC with GBA titles. The PSP is pretty damn impressive too, with (now at least) solid titles, and movies that can be purchased on the cheap second hand.

If it helps, I enjoy RPGs, RTS, action, some platformers.

Honestly, I had both a DS and a PSP and now I only own the DS.

If you want a handheld for gaming, go with the DS. It has the best overall line-up of games (in my opinion).

If you want a handheld that can play games and also serves as an iPod alternative or a movie player, go with the PSP.

It really will depend on what you want - something that is tailored for games or a device that can do a little bit of everything, even if it's not truly great at anything.

I have both systems. While I like having a PSP for its few good games and the multimedia features, the DS just blows it out of the water in terms of games, for my taste that is. I haven't played any of the DS RPGs, but I do own a ton of games for the DS, something like 20+. I would not let one of them go for anything. I have been in school lately, but up until the end of july since the DS launched, I haven't put it down for more than a few weeks tops. The GBA ability is a nice touch. I have a ton of GBA games aswell and love being able to have both systems in one neat little package.

There is no question. DS Lite. There are sooo many AAA titles on the DS that you'll be busy for a long while playing a backlog let alone the new stuff coming out.

Wow it really amazes me no one mentions all the cool ports and remakes on PSP and I don't mean mainly PS2 shit, I'm talking Princess Crown, DJ Max Portable, Genso Suikoden 1 and 2, Gradius Collection, MMX, MM:pU, Y's: Ark Of Napishtim which is suppose to be the more faithful game, Wipeout Pure, Ridge Racer, IQ Remix, Guitaroo Man Live, Taiko and a few others. I'm sure Chac has some he can advise as well.
I'm not saying the DS Lite doesn't have good product but I think people should look at the spread balanced and judge accordingly. I can label a lot on the DS people like as well: both Big Brains, Cooking Mama, Animal Crossing, Polarium, Trace Memory, new SMB, etc. Sorry but I can think of few RPG's for the DS itself. Most people didn't like the newest Lunar and I don't know the review of "Lost Magic".

If you're looking for gaming, DS lite is the way to. I have both systems and I see myself playing ds games more. PSP isn't bad, it actually has a handful of AAA titles, but for it's battery and loading times....it kinda kills the gaming experience.

I don't own a PSP, so I'll say DS Lite :p. It'll give you a wider selection of games, especially since it also plays GBA games. I've owned at least 30-40 games that were all great for DS (and around 10 or so have just come out and are coming out by the end of the year that should be fantastic, imo) and I'm sure there are 80-100 great games to pick from if you include GBA.

From what I've played on PSP the load times were annoying as fuck and impossible to deal with if you just want a pick up and play kind of game, but if you have enough free time to wait for the loading then that doesn't really matter much. If you actually plan to watch movies on the PSP then may god have mercy on your soul, but you definitely won't be able to do that with a DS (well you can buy a media player for it, but it would be about as annoying as watching a movie on a video ipod). For music I think it would be better to just get a DS Lite and an ipod nano or something.

Anyway, yeah, that's my long rambling opinion.

What are some good RPGs for both systems? I was also trying to decide between the two systems and I like portable RPGS...

I'd have to say PSP. I had both at once point, but I sold the DS off. I was about to sell off my PSP as well, but a bunch of great games started coming out so I kept it. Now I play my PSP more than any other system (including home consoles).

I've owned both systems and I would say the DS is the way to go.

Right now the PSP does have some nice RPGs like Valkyrie Profile, and Tekken 5 is pretty good (the loads are actually really good for Tekken). The DS does have some RPGs from Square-Enix on the way like Final Fantasy 3, Children of Mana, and a side quest to FFXII is in the works for the DS as well. Also there are ports of FFIV and FFV, and VI will be out soon for the GBA.

Some games I would recommend for the DS:
Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow
Cooking Mama (I've heard good things about this game)
Mario Kart
Mega Man ZX (currently playing)
New Super Mario Bros
Ouendan (fun import game coming to the US as Elite Beat Agents but with American Pop music)

[quote name='whoknows']I'd have to say PSP. I had both at once point, but I sold the DS off. I was about to sell off my PSP as well, but a bunch of great games started coming out so I kept it. Now I play my PSP more than any other system (including home consoles).[/QUOTE]

THANK you for someone providing a more balanced perspective almost. The problem is as we all know you're a huge Sony Fanboy as well.
Basket would you knock that shit off? Not all PSP games are a port of PS2 products. Some of the games I mentioned are clearly NOT PS2 product, yes some are PS ports but not all.

I own both and I say the DS Lite. There is just more to choose from and some gaming experiences that can't be had elsewhere. It seems like there is always something good coming out at this point for the system. The PSP is ok and there are some good games for it. Syphon Filter Dark Mirror was an amazing game. It just seems like the games I really want are far and few between and are still somewhat trying to match the PS2 too closely.

I have a DS lite and a PSP. Its a hard choice to pick one over the other, but for me the PSP gets the win. A few months ago I would have told you PSP no question, but the DS has some good games coming out that I am interested in. Both systems are fantastic and it really boils down to what you would like and what type of games you prefer.

[quote name='Sarang01']THANK you for someone providing a more balanced perspective almost. The problem is as we all know you're a huge Sony Fanboy as well.
Basket would you knock that shit off? Not all PSP games are a port of PS2 products. Some of the games I mentioned are clearly NOT PS2 product, yes some are PS ports but not all.[/quote] I like how his perspective was more balanced than the first three people who have/had both systems but chose the DS, because he picked the PSP. ;)

Sadly the DS isn't the system to buy for RPGs at the moment, unless you include GBA RPGs (of which there are a ton). Mario & Luigi is the only well-reviewed one, but many are on the way by the end of the year, including Contact, FFIII, and Children of Mana. I just wish someone would finally make a Wi-Fi co-op RPG.

[quote name='rodeojones903']I have a DS lite and a PSP. Its a hard choice to pick one over the other, but for me the PSP gets the win. A few months ago I would have told you PSP no question, but the DS has some good games coming out that I am interested in. Both systems are fantastic and it really boils down to what you would like and what type of games you prefer.[/QUOTE]

Thank you to another person laying it out as an even spread.

Botticus I gave him a bit of shit because I know he's pretty much dismissed every Next Gen. system except the PS3.

[quote name='Sarang01']Thank you to another person laying it out as an even spread.

Botticus I gave him a bit of shit because I know he's pretty much dismissed every Next Gen. system except the PS3.[/QUOTE]
Yeah well, I did consider a 360 when Dead Rising was out, but since its Capcom I figured it would be ported to the PS3 with extra stuff. Its hard to want a 360 when I have a gaming PC.

I haven't dismissed the Wii, I just don't play to get it until SSB:B comes out and possibly Heroes depending on how well it turns out.

Still, I don't think I should have to explain myself, I'm just doing so because I'm bored at the moment :p

[quote name='whoknows']Yeah well, I did consider a 360 when Dead Rising was out, but since its Capcom I figured it would be ported to the PS3 with extra stuff.

I haven't dismissed the Wii, I just don't play to get it until SSB:B comes out :p[/QUOTE]

Aight I just got that impression with the Wii as well. Personally besides Zelda and perhaps Red Steel the only game I give a shit about on the Wii will be Sadness. I know good stuff will be coming but that game very much excites me. Red Steel might really be good for me if they do a one on one online mode a la Bushido Blade in it as well but I'm pretty sure it will be the same shit as Mazan or Blade Of Honor. Truly I wish EnixSquare would see the potential in releasing another version of that on the Wii. I know there are Bushido Blade fans out there.

[quote name='Sarang01']Aight I just got that impression with the Wii as well. Personally besides Zelda and perhaps Red Steel the only game I give a shit about on the Wii will be Sadness. I know good stuff will be coming but that game very much excites me. Red Steel might really be good for me if they do a one on one online mode a la Bushido Blade in it as well but I'm pretty sure it will be the same shit as Mazan or Blade Of Honor. Truly I wish EnixSquare would see the potential in releasing another version of that on the Wii. I know there are Bushido Blade fans out there.[/QUOTE]
I actually plan to get Zelda on the GC, I don't really want to play it with the Wii-mote after seeing how it works. Some people do, thats cool for them, but I don't. The thing about the Wii to me is, you'll get your Mario, Zelda, and a few other Nintendo 1st party stuff, and then there really isn't much left there for me. I know though, that SSB:B will keep me interested in it for a good long time due to it being online.

And for the 360 is basically 360 Vs PS3 exclusives, and seeing how I have a gaming PC that makes the 360 exlusives list for me even smaller.

And to stay on topic, PSP games I recommend getting a PSP for: Pursuit Force, MegaMan Maverick Hunter X and Powerd Up, Metal Gear Ac!d 2, Monster Hunter, Tekken: Kark Ressurrection, Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror, Burnout Legends, and thats all that comes to mind right now.

Wasn't there a thread on this already? Ah there was! In that case:

[quote name='furyk']If you're getting a system for pure emulation the PSP is probably your best bet considering you won't potentially brick the PSP by downgrading the firmware, but that has happened with the DS and DS Lite. For a pure game comparison (talking about games that are out right now only):

-PSP has much better racing and sports games. Just look at everything EA puts out and imagine a PSP version for sports plus Smackdown vs Raw 2006, Virtua Tennis, Wipeout Pure, Hot Shots Golf, Gripshift, Burnout Legends, and a host of other The DS currently has one racing game worth playing and it's name is Mario Kart. It's a little closer in terms of sports, but the DS best sports games are golf and import tennis games.

-Both are pretty equal in terms of RPGs with each system really only having one AAA title at the moment (VP:L for the PSP, Mario and Luigi: PIT for the DS). There are a couple other servicable RPGs for each system (X-Men Legends 2, Legend of Heroes series for PSP; Lost Magic, Mega Man Battle Network 5 for DS) but really you're better off sticking with a GBA if this is the only genre you're interested in.

-Unless you count Adventure games as RPGs, the DS has tons of great adventure games in Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, Lost in Blue, and Trace Memory. I'm pretty sure the PSP doesn't have one.

-DS has better platformers then the PSP with Castlevania DS, Super Princess Peach, NSMB, Sonic Rush, Kirby Canvas Curse, and scores of other titles. That's not to say the PSP doesn't have great platformers either as Mega Man Powered Up, Exit, and Mega Man X: Maverick Hunter are all great games.

-If you're only interested in 3D platformers, PSP wins there with Daxter alone, but it has a few other great titles with Tokobot. The DS only has Mario 64 (that's worth mentioning) and it's pretty wonky.

-Strategy games both systems are pretty equal with the PSP having Field Commander and the DS having Advanced Wars and Age of Empires

-Shooters its the PSP with SOCOM, Syphon Filter, and GTA (if you want to classify that there). The DS has Metroid Prime Hunters but that's a love it/hate it game and Resident Evil DS (which again, doesn't really deserve to be classified anywhere else).

-Mini games it's all about the DS with Brain Age, Wario Ware Touched, the Feel the Magic series, and a ton of games have mini games built in. The only PSP mini game games that I can think of is an Ape Escape game and Ultimate Block Party which both were wonky.

-Sim games, again DS. Nintendogs and Animal Crossing.

-Puzzle games with the PSP you've got a AAA title with Lumines and Lemmings. With the DS you've got Tetris, Meteos, Magnetica, Puyo Pop Fever, Pokemon Trozei, and a ton of other games.

-Fighting games its all PSP with Street Fighter Alpha 3, Tekken, Darkstalkers, and a few other great games. The only good DS fighters are imports.

-In games that sort of define being classified in any traditional genre (or that are one of a kind for each system in a current genre) you've got the Metal Gear Ac!d series, Me and My Katamari, the MGS Digital Graphic Novel, and the Gradius Collection. With the DS you've got Pac Pix, Metroid Prime Pinball, Trauma Center, Nanostray, and a bunch of other weird shit that's fun.

If you plan on importing for the PSP has the Bleach series, Suidoken I & II, Breath of Fire 3, the Naruto series, and the Sakura Taisen series. With the DS you have Jump Superstars, Bleach, the Simple series, Osu Taikae Ouendan, and Dassaigo Band Brothers. I tried to avoid picking games that have a set US release date which is why something like Loco Roco isn't listed.

The PSP is an easier system to use for multifunctionality right off the bat. The DS can play movies, ROMs, music, and browse the net too, it's just that you have to do some leg work and mod your DS to make it happen (also the cost of doing all that stuff puts it on the level of a PSP at that point). The DS can legally play GBA games but the PSP has a GBA emulator (I think) and those games are easy enough to come by. The DS has a clear advantage in battery life and durability while the PSP is a superior system in terms of graphics and hardware.

As far as future releases are concerned for the PSP you've got Ultimate Ghosts and Goblins, Loco Roco, Bomberman, Capcom Puzzle World, the Powerstone Collection, GTA: Vice City Stories, Death Jr 2, Lumines 2, Socom Bravo 2, the Eyetoy Portable, Gran Turismo Mobile, MGS Portable Ops and a Silent Hill prequel. That plus ports of a lot of the major multi-system releases.

The Nintendo DS has the following coming out in the near future. Final Fantasy 3, Contact, Mario Hoops 3 on 3, Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin, Elite Beat Agents,
Yoshi's Island 2, Kirby DS, Panzer Tactics, Phoenix Wright: And Justice For All, Pokemon Ranger, Pokemon Diamond/Pearl, Dragon Quest: Rocket Slime, Star Fox Command, Mech Assault, Mega Man ZX, Deep Labryinth, Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, and a score of sequels to GBA games.

Both systems have connectivity to their console big brothers so that may be the deciding factor. I think the DS has a stronger fall coming up then the PSP, but the PSP has the much better version of almost all of the ports coming over and it still has clear advantages in sports, shooter, and racing games. Ultimately, I love my PSP, but the $70 higher price tag and the cost of a memory stick and a Greatest Hits or other clearance title would not be worth a DS Lite and 4-8 games for me (more if you grab some on clearance). I hope this helped in your decision.[/QUOTE]

This is a few months old so some of the comparisons are a little off. The short answer is that I'd get a DS for the holidays. For a few simple reasons. I think that while the PSP has a ton of great games for it, the majority of those games can be had on a console. That's not to say there aren't games like Mega Man Powered Up, Tekken Dark Resurrection, Valkyrie Profile, Metal Gear Ac!d, and tons more that you won't love. It's just that a lot of them can be played in similar form on the PS2 whether it be as a PS1 game, off of a collection, or through a console big brother. The DS has a bunch of different titles that are somewhat distinct from the Gamecube, GBA, or N64 incarnations of their franchises. Furthermore, original franchises (to the US) like Trauma Center, Phoenix Wright, the brain games, Meteos, Nintendogs, and the Feel the Magic series are worth checking out while I believe something like Legends of Heroes or Death Jr is not.

The "new" game selection is much better for this year as the only titles I see myself buying that aren't out now for the PSP are Power Stone Collection, Work Time Fun, GTA: VCS, maybe Killzone Liberation, Metal Gear Portble Ops, and one of the many other collections coming out this year. With the DS I'll own Contact, Yoshi's Island 2, Elite Beat Agents, Final Fantasy 3, Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin, Mario vs Donkey Kong 2, Custom Robo DS, Chibi Robo DS, Clubhouse Games, Children of Mana, Magical Starsign, Kirby Squeek Squad, Pokemon Ranger, and Hotel Dusk. In terms of what's coming out for the holidays, I think the DS is the superior system on paper games wise.

So there's my huge argument. I love my PSP. I love my DS more.

Yeah, there was another thread on this not to long ago. We should just get it over with and have a poll, even tough it sounds like DS will win.

A month ago I would have said DS all the way, but I turned to the dark side recently and bought a PSP. All I play is Tekken DR but IMO it's the greatest portable game ever. I think the DS has a larger selection of games I'm intrested in, but the PSP as a couple gems I can't ignore anymore.

bread's done
Back