What to do with Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo Forums & Subforums - Suggestions Wanted

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
With new systems launching, its time to discuss what to do with the existing forums and subforums.

Personally, I think less forums are better and would like to see a single forum for each of the big 3 (3 total), with no subforums.  What say you?

Last edited by a moderator:
   I wouldnt suggest merging everything into 1 subforum per company. I would keep each subforum to general and help or nuke everything to keep 2 sub forums, that bieng portable & home console. That would atleast help keep things balanced with threads about say the Xbox one or PS4 soon that will take over those sections, so say the Vita threads wont get flooded out of first page to point nobody keeps any kind of discussion. Isnt a concern with Microsofts forum section that will be fine without any sub forum, but Sony & Nintendo still need a small structure to keep threads from getting drowned.

I actually like things separated, i.e., Sony/MS/Nintendo. But I think you can do without the system sub-sections... maybe keep one in the Sony/Nintendo section for consoles and portables. 

I think merging them makes a lot of sense. I don't think it will hurt the portable communities to have a general Playstation and Nintendo board, in fact I think it would help since it will be easier to view and respond to topics.

Sony

-PS4

-Previous Consoles

-Handheld

Nintendo

-WiiU

-Previous consoles

-Handhelds

Microsoft

-Xbox One

-Previous Consoles

and FFS, get rid of the halo 3 clan forum.

Sony

-PS4

-Previous Consoles

-Handheld

Nintendo

-WiiU

-Previous consoles

-Handhelds

Microsoft

-Xbox One

-Previous Consoles

and FFS, get rid of the halo 3 clan forum.
I like this idea, but having just three total may be better. That way we don't have to have multiple threads for multiplatform games like Battlefield 4

I'd say don't combine until wiki's are working correctly ... otherwise most people will continue to spawn threads like crazy when they could all be consolidated into 1 per platform / store / "thing".

I like this idea, but having just three total may be better. That way we don't have to have multiple threads for multiplatform games like Battlefield 4
I've always thought of General Gaming as being the natural home for multiplatform game threads, and though I basically agree about the multiple thread thing, it makes sense for multiplayer games that don't have cross-platform support (not sure if BF4 is one of those, though).

Also, seconding what confoosious said about fanboys.

I never go into the general gaming thread so...yea

You mean line all the latest gen in one forum? Would never work. Too many fanboys.
What? No. I mean just have an Xbox forum, Playstation Forum maybe separate vita and consoles, Nintendo forum handhelds and consoles.Rather than splitting each company into 3 categories

Move the Xbox, Gamecube, PS2 and GBA threads to the Retro forum and keep the new gen separate from the last gen.  

I think Vita and 3DS should probably also have their own subforums under Sony and Nintendo, but get rid of all the last gen stuff.

One per company and most (well, it's ok to have the Sony and Nintendo Portables in their own subareas).  The site is just too slow any more to have forum areas for past gen consoles.  Those will get hardly any attention 6+ months into next gen.

On a related note, I've always found it a bit silly to have console specific areas AND a general gaming forum.  Even moreso now that forum posting traffic is so much slower than in the past.  I get that the area works for more general industry news, console war/debate threads, general gaming polls etc.  But other than the GGT thread, hardly anything in there gets many posts anymore.

It doesn't really work for multiplatform games--at least not the MP ones.  Those need there own threads in each console area so people can arrange MP meet ups etc. as that's what most of the active multiplatform game threads consist of anyway.  I guess multiplatform single player game threads could go in General Gaming--but few single player games generate much discussion anymore  it seems.  And I doubt the mods want to hassle with moving/closing multiplatform threads that get posted in the console-specific areas instead of General gaming.

Microsoft

-Xbox One

-Xbox 360 and Xbox (most people there post about the 360 anyway)

Sony

-PS4

-Vita

-PS3

-rest

Nintendo

-Wii U and Wii

-3DS/DS

-rest

bread's done
Back