What was the last CD you bought? - The Sequel

three cheers for sweet revenge (my chemical romance) & razorblade romance (him), buy both from amazon.com some time ago

Talking Heads - 77
Stephen Malkmus & the Jicks - Face the Truth
Run DMC - Raising Hell
New Order - Technique
Echo & the Bunnymen - Crocodiles
Mark Lanegan - Whiskey for the Holy Ghost
Sebadoh - III

All for $35 used. :)

Nuclear Blast Blasting Your Ears! Vol. 2 sampler
Project 86 - Drawing Black Lines
Forty Marshas - Forty Marshas
Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time
Megadeth - Countdown to Extinction

The Smiths - The Sound of the Smiths [Deluxe Edition]

I wasn't going to buy it because I'm pretty sure I already have everything on it...but I somehow managed to convince myself that I needed it.

[quote name='xeno']Ladytron-Velocifero on LP[/quote]

Where'd you score that on vinyl? Haven't seen it in my usual haunts.

[quote name='bmachine']

Where'd you score that on vinyl? Haven't seen it in my usual haunts.[/quote]

Music store in Seattle called easy street records they only had 1 so i grabbed it. but you can get it on amazon for about $30

Coldplay-Prospekt's March. Pretty decent if you liked Viva La Vida since it's some remixes and a few new songs that are similar in style to stuff on that album.

[quote name='bmachine']Glasvegas - Glasvegas

Strongly recommended if you're into bands like The National, Interpol, The Twilight Sad, or Jesus and the Mary Chain. So freakin' good.[/quote]
Sounds great, I'll have to check them out!

DJ Krush-Code 4109 (wow, want to chill? buy this and it's lift off baby)
lamb-Between Darkness and Wonder (very blah. one more lamb album to get, hope it's good)
Tricky-Pre-Millennium Tension (i am so love-hate on this guy. lately i just dont have the patience to give the tracks a shot/mutliple listen...)

The Dresden Dolls - The Dresden Dolls
Dying Fetus - Stop At Nothing
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
YOB - The Unreal Never Lived

It was an eclectic day.

Just noticed that a ton of Metropolis Records' stuff has been added to the eMusic assortment recently.
I used my January downloads to fill in some of the blanks in my collection:

Bella Morte - Beautiful Death
Electric Six - Flashy
Rotersand - I Cry
Seabound - Come Forward: Live in Berlin
Seabound - No Sleep Demon V2.0
VNV Nation - Dark Angel [EP]

They're also adding a boatload of Saddle Creek stuff...I'll have to dip into that in February.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']The Dresden Dolls - The Dresden Dolls
[/quote]

Awesome choice. Love that CD.

The Decemberists - The Crane Wife

Also, bmachine, I checked out Glasvegas and I really like them. They just announced a tour date for Salt Lake City yesterday, so I'll definitely be there.

Anybody know anything about Vampire Weekend? I've been told constantly by Last.fm that I should check them out. I loved offerings from MGMT, The Black Kids and other stuff this year.

[quote name='Azumangaman']Anybody know anything about Vampire Weekend? I've been told constantly by Last.fm that I should check them out. I loved offerings from MGMT, The Black Kids and other stuff this year.[/QUOTE]

The one song I listened to gave me a early 80's post-punk-but-not-quite-new-wave vibe. Like they would sound like either a peppy Joy Division (huh?) or like all the crappy Buzzcocks albums (which is most of them). Dunno if that sounds like it's up your alley.

I got a gift card order from Borders today:
Hank III: Damn Right, Rebel Proud: fucking boring, generic "I git fuckt up, mayun" lyrics that have no soul whatsoever to them. When I heard his first studio album, I thought "I can't wait to see what he sounds like when he's not bridled by his record label!" And boy am I wrong. Best record is still, by far, "Lovesick, Broke, and Driftin'" and "Straight to Hell is a close second. This is just him falling asleep at the studio and not deciding it's time to stop recording. Is there a such thing as "paint-by-numbers alt country"? There is now.

Charles Mingus: Mingus Ah Um. Of course it's fucking incredible.

Also listening to Abba. fuck yeah I am, and fuck you for acting like you've never sung along to "Take a Chance on Me." Cuz you're lying.

[quote name='mykevermin']The one song I listened to gave me a early 80's post-punk-but-not-quite-new-wave vibe. Like they would sound like either a peppy Joy Division (huh?) or like all the crappy Buzzcocks albums (which is most of them). Dunno if that sounds like it's up your alley.
[/quote]
Hmm...Apparently I like post-punk (I don't know what it is, but I told somebody some bands I liked, and he told me I liked post-punk). The Black Kids are pretty peppy and I liked them. I'll see if I can get a listen to some of their songs soon.

[quote name='Azumangaman']Hmm...Apparently I like post-punk (I don't know what it is, but I told somebody some bands I liked, and he told me I liked post-punk). The Black Kids are pretty peppy and I liked them. I'll see if I can get a listen to some of their songs soon.[/quote]

They've got kind of an Afro-centric vibe, if that appeals to you at all. Black Kids and MGMT have a lot of electro elements and you won't really find that in VW's music.

You might want to check out a remake of VW's "Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa" that Peter Gabriel did with Hot Chip; it's a lot of fun, and it makes me wish that Vampire Weekend was more interesting.

I'm just shooting from the hip here but (if you haven't heard them already) you should listen to Bloc Party, Cut/Copy, The Presets, or even Matt & Kim. They might be more along the lines of what you're looking for.

[quote name='Bioshocked360']Also, bmachine, I checked out Glasvegas and I really like them. They just announced a tour date for Salt Lake City yesterday, so I'll definitely be there.[/quote]

Excellent...good to hear that you enjoyed 'em. Just read that they're going to be on Conan this Thursday night...gotta set the Tivo!

Edit: It was Craig Ferguson, not Conan. Sorry for the bad info.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='SneakyPenguin']No clue, but I want.[/QUOTE]

I do too, but it looks like the only place it is available right now is amazon UK, which makes it $17.50 after shipping.

[quote name='rabbitt']I do too, but it looks like the only place it is available right now is amazon UK, which makes it $17.50 after shipping.[/quote]

That's not that bad for what looks to be a 2CD/1DVD pack.

Combichrist - Today We Are All Demons
Mindless Self Indulgence - Eveningwear/Mark David Chapman [EP]

Last edited by a moderator:
The Killers- Day & Age.

Not digging it at all. Listed to it probably 10 times. There's a couple ok songs, but it's just way too poppy.

Sucks as I really liked their first two albums.

[quote name='dmaul1114']The Killers- Day & Age.

Not digging it at all. Listed to it probably 10 times. There's a couple ok songs, but it's just way too poppy.

Sucks as I really liked their first two albums.[/quote]
Liar. Its fantastic.

I'll give it a few more listens. Thankfully I didn't buy it, my friend did and I just ripped mp3s. But if I don't start liking it it will be getting deleted.

Just way too mellow, up beat and poppy for me with the exception of a couple tracks.

Genitorturers - Sin City

Also had Mindless Self Indulgence - MDC/Evening Wear arrive a week or two ago, along with Combichrist - Today We Are All Demons.

bread's done
Back