What was the last CD you bought? - The Sequel

Dane Cook - Sounds and Sights
Foo Fighter - Echoes, Silence, Patience and Grace

Only listen to Dane Cook so far, and have enjoyed it. Plan on listening to Foo Fighters tomorrow on my way to a family Christmas Dinner.

3 of them. Dipped into some bands back catalogs:

Cave In - Perfect Pitch Black
Refused - The Shape of Punk to Come
Silversun Pickups - Carnavas

Haven't has a chance to listen to all of them that much, but all that I've heard so far is great.

[quote name='matters38']
Refused - The Shape of Punk to Come
so far is great.[/quote]

Not the last CD I bought, but a good one indeed. :applause:

[quote name='mattheus']Not the last CD I bought, but a good one indeed. :applause:[/QUOTE]

Nice avatar. I'm from the bay area. Seems you are too. Nice to see some CAGs in the area. Most people I talk to give me the funniest looks when I mention the site. :)

[quote name='b3b0p']How is Justice? I have heard it is a great album.[/quote]

It's good, but I think it's been a little over-hyped. In light of some of the press this album's gotten I was expecting a lot more.

Definitely worth the $8 download from the Amazon MP3 store, though.

Check out Burial's Untrue if this is up your alley. Amazing.

Nick Swardson - "Party"
CSS - "Cansei De Ser Sexy"
"Causes 1"
Bright Eyes - "Motion Sickness: Live Recordings"
Animal Collective - "Feels"

(had a good deal of Xmas gift cards burning in my pocket)

Bettye Lavette - Scene of the Crime

It's a great present-day record from an elder soul singer who was inscrutably overlooked in her heyday. Her cover of "Talking Old Soldiers" (originally written by Elton John and Bernie Tauper of all people) is an achingly vulnerable glimpse at the desolation of old age. She's one of the finest musical interpreters we have today.

Justice - Glad to see Best Buy advertising this one, and, more importantly, people picking it up.

The Locust - New Erections

Head Wound City - Head Wound City

Fantomas - Suspended Animation

Received some CDs for Christmas:

Dashboard Confessional - The Shade of Poison Trees
Death Cab for Cutie - Transatlanticism
Jimmy Eat World - Chase This Light

I also recently purchased Dave Matthews Band - Live at Piedmont Park.

My next purchases will probably be the new Jack Johnson album, Sleep through the Static, and the new Matt Costa album, Unfamiliar Faces, in a few weeks.

Picked up 24 CDs for a total of $161 including tax.

Beastie Boys - The Mix-Up
Jeff Buckley - Mystery White Boy
Jeff Buckley - Sketches for My Sweetheart the Drunk
Vashti Bunyan - Some Things Just Stick in Your Mind
Kate Bush - The Sensual World
Caribou - Andorra
Common Market - Common Market
DJ Shadow - The Private Press [2-Disc Limited Edition] autographed!
Emanon - The Waiting Room
Hell Razah - Renaissance Child
iLiKETRAiNS - Elegies to Lessons Learnt
Joan as Police Woman - Real Life
Lavender Diamond - Imagine Our Love
The Pastels - Mobile Safari
Linda Perhacs - Parallelograms
The Pipettes - We Are the Pipettes
Portishead - Dummy
Sigur Ros - Hvarf / Heim
John Vanderslice - Emerald City
Tom Waits - Closing Time
Nicole Willis and the Soul Investigators - Keep Reachin' Up
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Is Is
Various - Peanut Butter Wolf Presents 2K8: B-Ball Zombie War
Various - Quannum Spectrum

Stopped by a local record store that I've heard good things about. It was smaller than expected, but I picked up Shellac's Excellent Italian Greyhound on vinyl.

[quote name='rabbitt']Biffy Clyro opened for Queens of the Stone Age when I saw them in Columbus. Meh.[/quote]

Saw them open for The Editors last fall. I second your Meh.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']Eyehategod - Southern Discomfort[/QUOTE]

IIRC, that's another album with another great recording of "Serving Time in the Middle of Nowhere."

Picked up "Danger Doom" (lousy record, good beats) and the Stax Records 50th Anniversary 2-disc set this week. I recommend the latter, and can't help but have wished for much, much more from the former. Should have known that the Adult Swim marketing tie-in was a bad sign. Should've, could've, would've, though, eh?

[quote name='karmapolice']Black Moth Super Rainbow - Falling Through A Field[/QUOTE]
Nice.

I think I'll listen to them now, actually...

[quote name='AoreoG']Common - Finding Forever

Should have been rap album of year, IMO...[/QUOTE]
Go listen to El-P's I'll Sleep When You're Dead and the CunninLyguist's Dirty Acres.

[quote name='Liquid 2']Go listen to El-P's I'll Sleep When You're Dead and the CunninLyguist's Dirty Acres.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='AoreoG']Common - Finding Forever

Should have been rap album of year, IMO...[/QUOTE]

On a rap hunt, thanks for the suggestions.

BTW, last CD I bought was Linkin Park - Minutes To Midnight :lol:

I really want to buy music, but hot damn are CDs too damn expensive. Anybody got a site to buy actual CDs at decent prices? Hell, I'll even take used (probably the only way I'll get most of my Tool & APC).

[quote name='Liquid 2']Go listen to El-P's I'll Sleep When You're Dead and the CunninLyguist's Dirty Acres.[/quote]
My knowledge of rap music peaked in 1989, so take this with a grain of salt: that El-P disc is exceptional.

I'll also mention Saul Williams' $$$$y Tardust album here, as well.

As for Common...haven't heard that CD, but he was pretty good in Smokin' Aces.

[quote name='-Never4ever-']I really want to buy music, but hot damn are CDs too damn expensive. Anybody got a site to buy actual CDs at decent prices? Hell, I'll even take used (probably the only way I'll get most of my Tool & APC).[/quote]
I work for them, so I may be biased...but you should definitely check out your friendly neighborhood Hot Topic when you're looking for CDs. All single-disc titles are either $9.99 or $12.99 (almost always the lesser in the first week of release).

You're not going to find much rap or hip-hop, of course...but your LP/APC/Tool needs should be satisfied.

Also, buy the Puscifer disc if you haven't already.

[quote name='Liquid 2']Go listen to El-P's I'll Sleep When You're Dead and the CunninLyguist's Dirty Acres.[/quote]

On that note,

Cage: Hells Winter

Seriously...get that album, its magic!

I prefer SouthernUnderground to Dirty Acres.

I also picked up the new Nick Drake box set (import) and just about every Octopus Project CD.

Im trying to stock up on music before I move cross country. Im having to get another back up drive to store it all. I swear I could live with music and nothing else. Food is overrated.

[quote name='karmapolice']I prefer SouthernUnderground to Dirty Acres.[/QUOTE]Same, but Dirty Acres is waaaaay better than Finding Forever.

The last CD I bought? A limited "Wai Notes" by Dawn McCarthy and Bonny Billy. Oh, the joy of working in a record store :D

Hey, this is actually my first post here EVER! So, hi! Looking forward to checking everything out :)

I picked up Band of Horses' Cease to Begin today. I was glad to see it on sale again for $8 at Best Buy. I was afraid I'd missed out the first time around.

[quote name='bunnybum']The last CD I bought? A limited "Wai Notes" by Dawn McCarthy and Bonny Billy. Oh, the joy of working in a record store :D

Hey, this is actually my first post here EVER! So, hi! Looking forward to checking everything out :)[/quote]

Wow, I've never even heard of that album from Oldham! Nice find!

Welcome to CAG! I wonder if we have any other Danes on this board...

bread's done
Back