What was the last CD you bought? - The Sequel

Just got another order in from To Live A Lie:

Hip Cops/Gate 7" split
Bloodred Bacteria/Agathocles 7" split
Coke Bust 7" demo
Protestant S/T 7"
Proletar - Back To Hatevolution (discography)
Fall of Efrafra - Elil

Stopped by my local Borders on the way home and snagged:

Hot Chip - The Warning
Patrick Wolf - The Magic Position
Bird and the Bee - Again and Again and Again and Again [EP]

All for around $20.

[quote name='lunatic_pandora']Last CD I bought... I think it was Norma Jean - O' God, the Aftermath. I liked it, even though it got bad reviews.[/quote]
I got a promo copy of this from work when it first came out, decided it wasn't for me, and put it in my "to give away pile". I couldn't find a single person who wanted it...must've offered it up to 20 different people!

[quote name='fart_bubble']just saw this, awesome awesome album[/quote]
Bought it without hearing it first, which is what I usually do with most Hive/Suspicious Records releases...I was really blown away by it.

[quote name='fart_bubble']Never heard of M. Ward but the other three buys are solid buys. Neptune City surprised me, saw a picture of her...[/quote]
M. Ward is working with Zooey Deschanel on her album, which has the potential to be amazing. Then again I might be biased, given my slavelike devotion love for Zooey.

I hadn't heard of Nicole Atkins either, so I looked her up on You Tube...the video for Neptune City is beautifully done. Got a Bioshock/Atlus Shrugged vibe from it. Very cool.

Here's what I picked up today:

Cat Power - The Covers Record
Neutral Milk Hotel - On Avery Island

fart_bubble: Definitely give M. Ward a listen. http://www.myspace.com/mward Here's a blurb I wrote about his last album, Post-War:
Matt Ward has always been known and praised for his golden pop melodies seemingly drawn from some lost well of Americana. Post-War is a satisfying continuation of that trademark sound; its music is just as dusty and sepia-toned as the album's piecemeal cover. Impressively, Ward's subtly expanded the presence of his production so there's a bit of a rollicking, knockabout temperament that's never quite manifested this way in his previous work. It all makes for a fun, easygoing affair that evokes soft images of California yesteryear's beach culture, and what more could you ask for from a pop minstrel?

bmachine: I'm looking forward to that Zooey Deschanel album, too! I was really surprised when I first heard her sing in Elf. I've been waiting for an album ever since and who better for her to collaborate with than M. Ward? It's hard to see how this could fail! But maybe I'm biased, too... :lol:

not bad from what I hear on his myspace page. I'll probably be picking up something from him some time soon.

Can't lie though, except for hip hop, I tend to stick to female listeners (as hip hop is mostly what I listen to, I find that female vocals gives me a nice change of pace)

Kate Nash - Made of Bricks

Sort of a cross between Regina Spektor and Lily Allen. And she's hot.

I'm pleasantly surprised by how much I like this. Fart_Bubble: this may be up your alley, too.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orACIBjHuI4[/media]

[quote name='bmachine']Kate Nash - Made of Bricks

I'm pleasantly surprised by how much I like this. Fart_Bubble: this may be up your alley, too.[/quote]

For some reason, I too inexplicably like her, as does the missus.

Used up some of my eMusic downloads for the month:

Dawn of Ashes - The Crypt Injection
Hail Social - Hail Social
Hail Social - Modern Love and Death
Say Hi to Your Mom - Impeccable Blahs
Say Hi to Your Mom - The Wishes and the Glitch

[quote name='bmachine']Kate Nash - Made of Bricks

I'm pleasantly surprised by how much I like this. Fart_Bubble: this may be up your alley, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orACIBjHuI4[/QUOTE]

I liked her single but then when I got her album I was turned off as it was pop rather than the folk-ish sound she had on her single but it has eventually grown on me. Its pretty good but I felt left down compared to the single

Queens of the Stone Age - Queens of the Stone Age
Rebuy. I can't find my original.
PS - If you haven't heard this, its fan-freakin-tastic.

[quote name='nickmad']Queens of the Stone Age - Queens of the Stone Age
Rebuy. I can't find my original.
PS - If you haven't heard this, its fan-freakin-tastic.[/QUOTE]

It truly is a masterpiece. I really need to own that cd.

Had a free night at a meeting last week and a bunch of us hit up the Amoeba Records in Hollywood.

Here's my haul:

The Bird and The Bee - Please Clap Your Hands
Carphax Files - Vengeance
Censor - Empire Holds Down
Crystalline Effect - Glass
Dismantled - When I'm Dead
Freezepop - futurefuturefutureperfect
Grendel - Prescription: Medicide
Leaf - Made Into Itself
KMFDM - Brimborium

Man, I need to stop by Amoeba again. I've been sitting on a gift certificate for a year!

In the meantime, BMG Music Club had a great deal for me: Buy 1 Get 4 Free Plus Triple Music Points (which easily garnered another free CD). Including tax and shipping, that came out to just under $6 an album. I decided to pick up some older stuff that was conspicuously missing from my collection:

Black Eyed Peas - Behind the Front
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
David Bowie - Heroes
Cream - Fresh Cream
Daft Punk - Discovery
Derek & the Dominos - Layla
Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast
Sparklehorse - Dreamt for Light Years in the Belly of a Mountain
Starflyer 59 - Talking Voice vs. Singing Voice
The Who - The Who Sell Out

What I picked up from the Relapse store in Philly last week...

Exit 13 - High Life!
Converge/Agoraphobic Nosebleed - The Poacher Diaries
!T.O.O.H.! - Pod Vladou Bice
Ingrowing - Sunrape
Solar Anus - Skull Alcoholic
16 - Zoloft Smile (vinyl)
Acid Bath - When the Kite String Pops (vinyl)

[quote name='rapsodist']I'm looking forward to that Zooey Deschanel album, too! I was really surprised when I first heard her sing in Elf. I've been waiting for an album ever since and who better for her to collaborate with than M. Ward? It's hard to see how this could fail! But maybe I'm biased, too... :lol:[/quote]

Merge Records is streaming the Her and Him (Zooey Deschanel with M. War) CD here.

Check it out. I kinda love it.

Meshuggah - ObZen

Had to order it online because my local Best Buy didn't have it, but hey, I got a free t shirt out of it from FYE's site.

[quote name='bmachine']Merge Records is streaming the Her and Him (Zooey Deschanel with M. War) CD here.

Check it out. I kinda love it.[/quote]

I almost doubted her (or should I say She) for a second there. I didn't particularly like the first song, "Sentimental Heart," because it didn't sound flattering to Zooey's voice. There were moments when it sounded like she was straining her limits, and not in an emotive way. But in everything after that her voice was gold. I'm very impressed by her songwriting -- wow! The whole album sounds like a collection of '70s pop classics!

really digging the She & Him album. Love the way it runs the gamut of 60's pop, blue grass, country, do wop and folk. Can't wait to pick it up next week

[quote name='fart_bubble']really digging the She & Him album. Love the way it runs the gamut of 60's pop, blue grass, country, do wop and folk. Can't wait to pick it up next week[/QUOTE]

Same. I will be picking it up for sure.

bread's done
Back