What was your favorite system growing up?

Depends what age you consider "Growing up"

When I was really young, I got Intellivision and Atari 5200
When I was like 8, I got NES
When I was 11, I got Genesis
When I was 13, I got SNES

I picked up other consoles along the way between those, but those would be the primary ones.

Definitely the Genesis. I didn't have a SNES. I still remember getting Street Fighter II Championship Edition and a 6 button controller and thinking wow I can finally play arcade games at home. It wasn't perfect but it felt like it at the time. Sonic 2, Earthworm Jim, Mortal Kombat etc. etc. etc. . So many good games. I played the shit out of the NES too.

God I feel old just reading the poll choices. When I was a kid (under 10) I enjoyed the Atari 2600 and 5200. In middle school the NES came out and I played that for 5 years until mid way through high school so I guess I have the findest memories of playing my NES when I was young. Of course I think of my 25-year-old N64 playing self as young compared to today so it's all relative

Can't just say one. I picked "other" since I loved different ones as I got older. My NES, SNES, and Sega Saturn ate up a lot of my time. The one with the best memories, however, was the Saturn for sure. My friends and I would have six-player Death Tank matches whenever high school was canceled for a snow day. Ahhh, good times. :)

Like others here, I started out as a young kid with the 2600. I had a NES in jr.high/HS and I got a SNES right when I went to College.

I voted for the SNES tho, cos thats when I got heavily involved in multiplayer gaming. We were always having tournaments and leagues in NBA JAM, or NBA Live, or Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat, etc. You would be chillin in your dormroom drinking a cold one when a knock would come on your door and someone would go 'Your Up',and you'd have to go down the hall and get your game on! lol Plus I had a disc copier for my snes so I had ALL the games, literally. So thats def my favorite period of gaming with the fondest memories.

[quote name='Puffa469']Like others here, I started out as a young kid with the 2600. I had a NES in jr.high/HS and I got a SNES right when I went to College.

I voted for the SNES tho, cos thats when I got heavily involved in multiplayer gaming. We were always having tournaments and leagues in NBA JAM, or NBA Live, or Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat, etc. You would be chillin in your dormroom drinking a cold one when a knock would come on your door and someone would go 'Your Up',and you'd have to go down the hall and get your game on! lol Plus I had a disc copier for my snes so I had ALL the games, literally. So thats def my favorite period of gaming with the fondest memories.[/quote]

Oh yeah man - Mortal Kombat II, Street Fighter 2 and NHL 94 were played constantly in my fraternity. I think just about everyone in the house had most of the fatalities memorized. So much trash talking and beer drinking. God I miss college.

Could have done a much better job with the choices besides just giving the 16 bit consoles their own choices (I know TG16 was a "souped up" 8 bit, and not true 16 bit)

Its a tough choice but Id still say SNES

Sega Genesis. I remember my uncle buying me it one eventful holiday season. I played that thing to death until I finally got a Dreamcast.

The NES is great, and I had one until a couple of years ago. Started with a pong console. Still, my best gaming memories are of Intellivision. I would still have mine today if it didn't get ruined when my (now ex-) wife took it to her job (working with kids) and they destroyed it. While that's not the only reason we're not married today, it certainly didn't help matters. :)

Damn, this is tough. I loved both the SNES and Genesis equally. Genesis had awesome sports games (EA's NHL Hockey) while SNES had everything else (Street Fighter II).

Voted SNES Why?
Contra III, Bomberman 2, Zelda ALTTP, Super Mario World, FFIII, Secret of Evermore, SF2, MK3, Lufia II, DKC 1-3, Fifa International, NBA Live 97, Firepower 2000, D-Force, Xardion, Super Turrican, Mario Kart, Mario is Missing, Illusion of Gaia, Act Raiser 2, Joe & Mac, Megaman X, Mega Man Soccer, Mega Man 7, Super Mario All-Stars, Castlevania IV, and so many others.

I voted Sega Genesis. I never owned a NES, SNES, or N64 but I never felt deprived because I could always pop in Sonic or the gory version of Mortal Kombat.

I've owned quite a few video game consoles in my 29 yrs of existence.

Tandy-vision, Nintendo, turbo grafx 16/turbo duo, genesis CD, Super Nintendo, 3DO, jaguar CD, playstation, PS2, gamecube, XBox, 360… I think I got them all. Along with portables… game boy, turbo express, game boy color, game boy pocket, game boy Advance, DS…

WOW, I’m a loser…

Wait no…. a connoisseur. :D

Out of all of them, my favorites are based on different reasons…

Home console… I would have to say (prior to Playstation) was the 3DO. I still have mine hooked up. It had a good variety of games (plenty of bombs also). Plus, the music player looked pretty good whilst tripping. :D It was the only console I can think of that had AO titles. Not that it’s a saving grace. Psychic detective was original.

My favorite portable was the turbo Express… I could use the exact same games I had for my home console (except the CD based games), but the battery life sucked. I used to carry that thing in my pocket every day back and fourth to school… good thing my trench coat had huge pockets. :D

I would say my grandest memories where behind the 3DO… even though the console was severely overpriced for its time, I loved it. I think it would have held on longer if it wasn’t for the price and quite possibly the over saturation of bad games.

Genesis. Loved my Sega and 32x. The 6-button controller pwned all.

NES is second. Never really played a lot of SNES.

Gotta go with my Genesis/SegaCD/32X monstrosity. Genny had the action & RPGs I liked like Valis III, Wonder Boy, Landstalker, Shining Force, Phantasy Star II & IV. Sega CD had Lunar, Snatcher, Sonic CD, Dragon Force, and I loved the 32X ports of Virtua Racing, Afterburner and Space Harrier.

My favorite system growing up was the Sega Genesis. I also had a TurboGrafx16 which I enjoyed greatly as well, but playing games like Sonic the Hedgehog, Vectorman, & Earthworm Jim definitely holds the best memories.

This is really just a question of what the best 16-bit system is, not everyone grew up with the SNES or Genesis. The SNES has superior games to the Genesis though, I voted for it. I just love the Nintendo and Rareware classics.

[quote name='JohnnyDrama']My favorite system growing up was the Sega Genesis. I also had a TurboGrafx16 which I enjoyed greatly as well, but playing games like Sonic the Hedgehog, Vectorman, & Earthworm Jim definitely holds the best memories.[/QUOTE]

Earthworm Jim is on SNES too, so that doesn't help your argument.

NES is my favorite but Genesis was a close second place when I got it around the age of 12 or 13. I did buy a SNES with saved up money not long after I got my Genesis, but for the most part I played my Genesis and NES more then my SNES.

SNES was great for SMBW, FFIII, SMBRPG and Chrono Trigger. Genesis was great for Madden, NHL, PGA, Street Fighter II (with the best controller ever, 6 button controller), Road Rash, Sega CD RPG, Shining Force and Sonic. SNES didn't start getting real good until the last year before PSX came out.

Sega Genesis because I started with an NES and couldn't stand trying to get it to work as a little kid, darn blinking light problem. Also, didn't have an SNES and I liked the Sonic games more because they weren't as difficult as Mario for me. I would always die right away in Mario games, while looking for mushrooms and only had to grab a few rings to stay alive in the Sonic games.

SNES, Super Mario World and Donkey Kong Country games, fond memories playing with my mom and brother (although since my mom sucks at games and me and my brother were little, took us like half a year to beat one of them)

SEGA MASTER SYSTEM

oh how i loved that system. the blaster gun, the electronic 3-D glasses, Missile Defense 3-D, zaxxon 3-d, space harrier 3-D, out run 3-D, blade eagle 3-D, alex kidd series, altered beast, shinobi, golden axe, hang-on, zillion, wonder boy series, fantasy zone series, sonic the hedgehog series, double dragon series (SMS was better imo cause you got unlimited lives until the last level), ecco the dolphin, R-Type, global defense, phantasy star, mortal kombat (w/ RED BLOOD), choplifter, streets of rage, thunder blade, vigilante, g-loc, after burner :bow:

bread's done
Back