What would you guys do in this situation?

Pure Apathy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
129 (100%)
On September 28th I bought the Xbox 360 messenger kit (chat pad and head set) because some of the people on my XBL friends list talks to me from the XBL site and the chat pad is the easiest way for me to respond back to them relatively quickly.

When I bought the kit, I knew one of my friends who also posts on here was in need of an Xbox 360 headset since his was broken. I asked him if he wanted to buy my old one and he did. There was nothing wrong with my old headset, I'm just not able to use it with the chat pad since the headset connections are different.

So my friend came and got it from me shortly before midnight on September 28th. Then last night I got a text message from him saying that the head set is broken and that he would like a refund or replacement.

I told him I would not give him a refund since he had the mic for 8 days and had no problems with it up until that point. I also mentioned the fact that I wouldn't sell him or anyone else broken stuff.

During the time he had the mic, his older brother played 99 games of Halo 3 and my friend played right under 50 games. So I know the mic had some use on it within those 8 days.

When I played with my friend or his brother, I could hear both of them clearly over the head set and neither one of them told me they had any issues with it.

What would you guys do if you were in a situation like this? No refund or refund?

You're not Microsoft, you don't have a warranty. You sold it as is, it worked, he broke it through misuse or whatever.

This is why I don't deal with friends when it comes to things that break.

If you give him his money back, you're screwed for something beyond your control.

If you don't, he'll hold you in spite, thinking you knowingly sold him a crappy kit.

[quote name='Scorch']You're not Microsoft, you don't have a warranty. You sold it as is, it worked, he broke it through misuse or whatever.[/quote]
Agreed. Not your problem.

[quote name='Pure Apathy']On September 28th I bought the Xbox 360 messenger kit (chat pad and head set) because some of the people on my XBL friends list talks to me from the XBL site and the chat pad is the easiest way for me to respond back to them relatively quickly.

When I bought the kit, I knew one of my friends who also posts on here was in need of an Xbox 360 headset since his was broken. I asked him if he wanted to buy my old one and he did. There was nothing wrong with my old headset, I'm just not able to use it with the chat pad since the headset connections are different.

So my friend came and got it from me shortly before midnight on September 28th. Then last night I got a text message from him saying that the head set is broken and that he would like a refund or replacement.

I told him I would not give him a refund since he had the mic for 8 days and had no problems with it up until that point. I also mentioned the fact that I wouldn't sell him or anyone else broken stuff.

During the time he had the mic, his older brother played 99 games of Halo 3 and my friend played right under 50 games. So I know the mic had some use on it within those 8 days.

When I played with my friend or his brother, I could hear both of them clearly over the head set and neither one of them told me they had any issues with it.

What would you guys do if you were in a situation like this? No refund or refund?[/QUOTE]
It depends...how good of a friend is this? I can't imagine you sold the headset to him for a great deal of money. You should ask yourself if the friendship is worth the cost of a headset and go from there.

You can pretty much prove it worked for over a week. Help him find another cheap one if you want, but don't pay for it.

Tricky situation. Honestly, it's not your fault it broke, but it's probably not his either. My headset that came with the system worked fine for a year and then just stopped working one day. No warning signs or anything. I've had friends complain about multiple broken headsets.

How much did you sell it for? Regardless of the outcome, it's not worth ending the friendship over, for either of you. I would say go out, buy each other a few drinks, and then you'll laugh and say, "Ho ho, all that over a fucking headset!" But I know you don't really drink. Not sure about your friend.

Thanks for the replies guys. The only reason I posted this on here was to get some opinions from some other people. I started to second guess my decision after he told me that not giving him a refund was a "dick move if I don't make it right".

WSB, I consider him my best friend but I just can't see myself having to give him a refund for something that was out of my control. I could see giving him a refund if it broke on him right after he took it home, but he had it for 8 days and it worked just fine the whole time.

But like you said, I also don't believe it's worth losing a friend over something that isn't worth much like a headset.

Matt, he bought it from me for $10.

[quote name='Matt Young']Tricky situation. Honestly, it's not your fault it broke, but it's probably not his either. My headset that came with the system worked fine for a year and then just stopped working one day. No warning signs or anything. I've had friends complain about multiple broken headsets.

How much did you sell it for? Regardless of the outcome, it's not worth ending the friendship over, for either of you. I would say go out, buy each other a few drinks, and then you'll laugh and say, "Ho ho, all that over a fucking headset!" But I know you don't really drink. Not sure about your friend.[/QUOTE]

I agree that's it's not worth losing a friend over, especially not over a few bucks you probably sold this for. I don't know what I'd do but I'd ask myself a few questions:
1. Did the person who bought it from you know it was used?
2. Did you ask them if it was working when they first got it?
3. Did they know how old the mic was?

I think that when you are buying used accessories you are taking a risk that it wont last as long as a new one. This is why they are able to get it for a discounted price, so it's pretty much a chance you take when you buy used. So if it were me I wouldn't give a refund on it. I think if one of my friends did buy something like that from me and it ended up breaking on their time they'd understand and probably just buy a new one. Hopefully this helped you out a little.

EDIT: To lighten this up a little another question I'd recommend asking yourself is what would Frank Thomas do? The answer to this has led me to a long gay life.

$10 versus your best friend?

If he were merely an acquaintance, I'd stick to your guns. But if he's a close friend, why let such a small amount of money potentially ruin a friendship?

But then, how great of a friend is he if he brings something up in this way?

Regardless, why not explain that it broke days after he has had it. Split the difference and give him $5.

"dick move if I don't make it right"

With friends like that, who needs enemies?

Seriously, get yourself a new best friend. This guy sounds like a total twat.

What's more surprising to me is that you actually charged him $10 instead of giving it to him for free. I can't imagine how cheap of a birthday present you guys must get each other. I would understand if he was a mere acquaintance or something but your best friend?

[quote name='muhsheesuh']What's more surprising to me is that you actually charged him $10 instead of giving it to him for free. I can't imagine how cheap of a birthday present you guys must get each other. I would understand if he was a mere acquaintance or something but your best friend?[/QUOTE]

Seriously I think I just would have given my friend the headset if I couldn't use it.

"Get a new best friend"? Really? I thought this was CheapAssGamer, not DumbassGamer.

It's 10 bucks, i know it's bullshit and I've been through it to, but if you don't give him a refund there is a good chance you will ruin the friendship and have to put up with more than 10 bucks worth of hassle.

Apathy I had a similar situation happen. About 2 years ago I traded a top-tier friend my old IPod (PC launch unit) for some VS cards worth about $50. Within a year, the IPod died (his girlfriend used it A LOT.) When I got a Zune early this year, the same friend bought my 30GB IPod video for about $75 and it worked just fine for him until he won an IPod Touch at the VS System World Championships at the end of June, and sold that old 30Gb video to someone there.

Needless to say if he's a true friend he wouldn't give you grief over a $10 used headset after 8 days of heavy use if it stopped working. From what you're saying, you can prove (through the Bungie website I take it) that almost 150 games were played with the headset after you sold it to him. THE MOST I would give back would be $5.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Needless to say if he's a true friend he wouldn't give you grief over a $10 used headset after 8 days of heavy use if it stopped working. From what you're saying, you can prove (through the Bungie website I take it) that almost 150 games were played with the headset after you sold it to him. THE MOST I would give back would be $5.[/QUOTE]

After reassessing the situation, I agree. A true friend would not give you grief over a 10.00 headset and I really agree that the most you should give him is 5 bucks.

[quote name='muhsheesuh']What's more surprising to me is that you actually charged him $10 instead of giving it to him for free. I can't imagine how cheap of a birthday present you guys must get each other. I would understand if he was a mere acquaintance or something but your best friend?[/quote]

i agree. is he really that close of a friend if you felt the need to sell the thing to him? my friends and family just give stuff to each other, regardless of value. if i charge you, we ain't that good'a friends.

[quote name='allyourblood']i agree. is he really that close of a friend if you felt the need to sell the thing to him? my friends and family just give stuff to each other, regardless of value. if i charge you, we ain't that good'a friends.[/quote]

You would give a friend a PS3 or 360 for free, then? I want to be your friend. :hot:

Anyway, when my best friend wanted to get rid of his N64 many moons ago, he sold it to me at a really, really good price. Again, we are best friends, but I wouldn't expect him to just give it to me for nothing.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']You would give a friend a PS3 or 360 for free, then? I want to be your friend. :hot:[/quote]

if i have a spare kicking around, yes. i've given away several systems in the past. it's no big deal, generosity like that always comes back around. that's why i only keep really close friends who prove themselves to be kind and generous. honestly, i can probably count my friends on one hand, but that's often the sort of number you're left with when you're really picky about the company you keep. anything less gets shut out. no one i associate regularly would ever say that something i did was a "dick move".

Anyway, when my best friend wanted to get rid of his N64 many moons ago, he sold it to me at a really, really good price. Again, we are best friends, but I wouldn't expect him to just give it to me for nothing.

i would never expect anyone to just give me something, but that's just how it works out. my closest friend and i are always giving each other stuff we find that we know the other wants, like Blu-rays, and games and such.

I have to agree with the majority here that your friend is really not very cool asking for a refund. It is pretty understood that when you buy something from an individual that there is no expressed warranty period. It should be in working order, but there is no guarantee on how long it will last.

You gave him a good deal. The headset sells for $19.99 in stores. He saved $10 and took a risk.

However I do also understand the value of friendship. Just because he is not being cool about this one issue, that doesn't necessarily mean that he should be written off. If you value his friendship, talk to him and see what it will take to put this behind you. Once settled you might want to think twice before doing business with him again, or at least have a clear understanding that you don't offer a warranty on the items you sell.

I would give him the $10 and then tell him to fuck off, if he gives you any lip kick his ass and take it back. I agree with the people who asked why you charged your best friend for a used headset.

[quote name='R1V3R5']"dick move if I don't make it right"

With friends like that, who needs enemies?

Seriously, get yourself a new best friend. This guy sounds like a total twat.[/quote]

/thread

Everyone is all "why let $10 ruin the friendship?"

But why is his friend letting $10 ruin the friendship?

It doesn't sound like they are very close friends otherwise this wouldn't even be an issue. How young are we talking here? Geez.

bread's done
Back