What you think of games that are based off of "getting active".

False Hope

CAGiversary!
What do you think of games that are based around getting active and such? (Games like the DDR series, the Eye Toy games, and including but not limited to that Yourself: Fitness! game.) Anything beyond the options should be posted here.

DDR is fun. I've been playing it for about 4 years now.

I see nothing wrong with them. It's better that some kids play a video game or two that keeps them somewhat active.

There was this commercial in the Pacific Northwest (it was filmed at Eastern Washington University). It was called "Unplug and Play." It would show a boy or girl playing Halo and then have another boy/girl throw a football/baseball/whatever at them. Then they'd pick it up, it would glow gold and they'd see the light of being active.

I always thought "Or I could play some DDR."

I'm not a fan of DDR, but these kind of games usually end up appealing to more people (like friends who don't game at all) so they can be lots of fun.

it's great! dance pads, drums/bongos, light guns, eye toy; more the better! before you know it, it'll be a virtual jumpsuit where you ARE the controller; full-immersion baby.

I would love for Pop N Music to come here. I was looking at arcade quality controllers for that game and they were nearly $500 for the PS2.

I've never understood why light gun games aren't bigger. I'm guessing many companies don't want to make them because they'd be blamed for "teaching kids to kill" and producing "murder simulators". I always thought light gun games were great fun. I kept waiting for a home version of Gunblade NY or LA Machineguns to come home for the Dreamcast or Xbox.

I have 6 DDR games and just think that if anyone is going to be really into them they have to import. There just isn't enough variety in them for a title to last through a year of play.

i think ddr isnt really much of a hypocritical game if thats wat ur getting it, since there is the option to plug in a dancemant (and 9 time out of 10, ppl do) and get up and start sweating, that is a good work out believe it or not (there was someone who did something called the "ddr diet" and lost a buttload of weight
but games like fitness, while they encourage moving around, you will probably just think to yourself, ok, i'll learn it now and do it later, but later never really comes along..

I think it's a good idea for games to encourage being active.

[quote name='SOSTrooper']I play Contra: SS w/ the DDR dance pad. Does that count?[/QUOTE]

:applause: Good going. The only game I tested it out for was Tenchu.

[quote name='Scrubking']Active games are good. I get a good workout with light gun games so the more the better.[/QUOTE]

i work out nearly everyday, and i think im in pretty good shape, glad 2 see im not the only one who sweats with lightgun games :)

I don't have a problem with "active" games existing or other people playing them, but I play games to sit on my ass.

(rolls over in bed)

No thanks. I'm not interested in moving around. I prefer to just sit & think.

(flops back over onto pillow)

troy

Are you kidding? They are great. Any game that can be fun and you can play without a standard controller is great for gaming. They should be making more of these types of games...

I've been thinking about getting into ddr games, but I have a few questions.

1. What are the best ddr games and the best ones for starting out?
2. Which games come with a mat, if any, and/or what is a good cheap mat to get?
3. Can you use a mat on a carpetted floor?

[quote name='Quackzilla']Anything that reduces the amount of fat I have to look at every day is fine with me.[/QUOTE]

lol, seriously. :applause:

however, i'm a huge fan of dancing games (mostly DDR and ITG, but PIU is cool too) and they have helped me get in the best shape ive ever been in.

however, the best part of those games is the community. ive gotten to know a load of local players at nearby arcades, so thats a huge plus. how many other gaming communities help you get in shape AND make friends? :D

[quote name='Scrubking']I've been thinking about getting into ddr games, but I have a few questions.

1. What are the best ddr games and the best ones for starting out?
2. Which games come with a mat, if any, and/or what is a good cheap mat to get?
3. Can you use a mat on a carpetted floor?[/QUOTE]

1) IMO, DDR Max and Max 2. I believe max 2 has a training mode (which you shouldnt need too much, just dive right in), but i know DDR Extreme has one for sure.

2) they all come with a mat, but for starters i recommend the ignition pad available at most game stores.

3) you CAN, but i really wouldnt recommend it. ive heard that they slip around...or at least, maybe those're just the cheap pads without the foam inserts. i really dont know, i dont have carpeting. my friend does and she has no problems, however she has a metal pad so it doesnt move.

bread's done
Back