Whats a Collection Worth? (Who would pay this price?)

Arakias

CAGiversary!
Feedback
116 (100%)
I am not really selling my collection, nor do I know if this is the right forum to post in, but I noticed theres a section for "value" on IGN that puts a $ value on my collection.

So here it is: http://users.ign.com/collection/arakias
And here are the stats:

Items in list: 170
Favored platform: GameCube
Favored publisher: Nintendo
Favored developer: Square
Estimated value of collection: $6,290
IGN Editors' average score: 8.8

Is the collection itself worth the $6000+ or (if I really was selling) would it have to include systems as well (except a pc?). It works out to about $37/game (without systems) for example.

I was just wondering how they could come up with such a value. I mean if I could get $6k I would almost consider selling, but who knows.

Anyone have input as to how they think this is done? Or anyone more lively and want to share your collection "values".
(If there is a thread about this already, I will admit I did not search for it, so flame on).

IGN is way way way waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off.

They valued my collection, once, at $20,000 (LOL) and I got nowhere near that, not even close.

[quote name='Arakias']I am not really selling my collection, nor do I know if this is the right forum to post in, but I noticed theres a section for "value" on IGN that puts a $ value on my collection.

So here it is: http://users.ign.com/collection/arakias
And here are the stats:

Items in list: 170
Favored platform: GameCube
Favored publisher: Nintendo
Favored developer: Square
Estimated value of collection: $6,290
IGN Editors' average score: 8.8

Is the collection itself worth the $6000+ or (if I really was selling) would it have to include systems as well (except a pc?). It works out to about $37/game (without systems) for example.

I was just wondering how they could come up with such a value. I mean if I could get $6k I would almost consider selling, but who knows.

Anyone have input as to how they think this is done? Or anyone more lively and want to share your collection "values".
(If there is a thread about this already, I will admit I did not search for it, so flame on).[/QUOTE]

While you have some pretty rare games, your collection is worth around $2000....

But quite honestly, it depends on the way you sell, the condition of the items..for example..if all your SNES games are 100 percent mint, complete with boxes, instructions, everything..and you list them well..then yes...you can make a lot closer to the estimated value...what doesn't help is some of the games are relatively common and not worth that much

Once again, it's all about luck and pretty much the condition of the items.

I dont know how IGN assign $$ values..but as far as "Who would pay that price?" I would say noone in their right mind. Selling a whole collection as one is like selling wholesale, you need to sell at a lower price for the convenience of selling it as a whole. Maybe you could come close to 6K only IF you sold them individually. Even if you did do that I dont think it would come close to 6K, a quick look maybe you'd get 2K if you sold them on Ebay after fees and such..and thats being generous.

And by the way, how they get their values is bogus..I made an account and added my Sailor Moon sets [season one, two, S, Super S, movies, all uncut and originals] and they said the estimated value is $178

I can easily make $300 off each one on eBay, a whole collection would be worth about $1500 mint...

My collection is worth roughly $40,000.... mostly because a lot of my stuff is sealed, and quite rare.
I don't know how to add games at IGN since they changed their system, but I have about 100 more games, and 3 new systems.

When I get back from Iraq,... I'm headed back down to Tokyo, to pick up a sealed Castlevania on the Saturn, and a sealed Radiant Silvergun... which I found at a secret little shop for cheap :)

For better pricing, check out DigitalPress :) and eGay.

I should update my collection. I have sold a lot of my games to buy new games. I honestly have no idea where they get there prices though.

Our collection (our = my brothers and myself) is "worth" $21,000 and change according to IGN. I have an extremely hard time believing we'd get that much if we sold everything.

As I was doing some editing on my list once, they were valuing eReader games at $40 a piece. So, yeah, they're kinda off. ;)

I believe they consider every game in new condition and value them as such. It doesn't include consoles, only what you've listed (I don't believe you can include consoles). Of course, my disc-only Tales of Destiny isn't worth as much as a shrinkwrapped one, but there's no real good way to show that.

My collection's worth around $45,000 according to IGN, which is what I use for insuring it.

I am pretty sure that IGN makes up values for games. They say $37 for a game if they don't have it in their system I believe. For example, I had some old Madden games that IGN said I would get $37 for even though I doubt I would get even a $1 for it.

[quote name='Arakias']

Is the collection itself worth the $6000+ or (if I really was selling) would it have to include systems as well (except a pc?). It works out to about $37/game (without systems) for example. [/QUOTE]

Add an item, it'll go up $37. They formerly had a partnership with Gamestop, and based that field off of used prices from there, but once it expired, all items were given the value of $37.

[quote name='drone8888']My collection is worth roughly $40,000.... mostly because a lot of my stuff is sealed, and quite rare.
I don't know how to add games at IGN since they changed their system, but I have about 100 more games, and 3 new systems.

When I get back from Iraq,... I'm headed back down to Tokyo, to pick up a sealed Castlevania on the Saturn, and a sealed Radiant Silvergun... which I found at a secret little shop for cheap :)

For better pricing, check out DigitalPress :) and eGay.[/QUOTE]

I'm so envious, I'd love to get Radiant Silvergun for cheap, but I can't swallow those ebay prices. Give me something else to play on the Saturn along with Nights and the Panzer Dragoon games.

[quote name='BigDirty']Add an item, it'll go up $37. They formerly had a partnership with Gamestop, and based that field off of used prices from there, but once it expired, all items were given the value of $37.[/QUOTE] Hmmmmm.... if that's how it works now that's plain dumb.

[quote name='BigDirty']Add an item, it'll go up $37. They formerly had a partnership with Gamestop, and based that field off of used prices from there, but once it expired, all items were given the value of $37.[/QUOTE]
WTF? This checks out, as I just averaged my collection. That's some crazy cracka' crap right there. It's also pretty annoying, as I'd really like an at least moderately reliable value assigned to my collection.

[quote name='mkg12']Hmmmmm.... if that's how it works now that's plain dumb.[/QUOTE]

I agree highly with this statement. A flat average $ amount / game ($37) thats worthless.
Thanks for pointing that out though.

[quote name='ViolentLee']
My collection's worth around $45,000 according to IGN, which is what I use for insuring it.[/QUOTE]
Do you have to have a separate rider for your games? I've never considered insuring my collection, but with our jewelry we have a separate rider. How much does homeowner's cover on games if you don't have a rider? I might have to consider if it's not too much...

[quote name='redline']Do you have to have a separate rider for your games? I've never considered insuring my collection, but with our jewelry we have a separate rider. How much does homeowner's cover on games if you don't have a rider? I might have to consider if it's not too much...[/QUOTE]
I don't know the specifics (the wife pays that bill), but I know it needs separate coverage as a collection. I think homeowners only covers something like $20,000 worth of possessions. Again, I could be wrong as it's not one of "my" bills.

bread's done
Back