What's everybody's gripe about the PS3?

Thank you for your failed insight. If you think it was a botched launch, I'm willing to bet you never bought one or if you did not long enough to appreciate it.

According to that 1UP article, the N64 had the highest rated 'launch' with TWO flipping games. At least Dcast had a more fruitful attempt.

Besides, a good launch doesn't mean jack. Just ask Sega.:roll:
[quote name='DJSteel']actually Sega Dreamcast had the worst system launch.. [/quote]

[quote name='CappyCobra']Thank you for your failed insight. If you think it was a botched launch, I'm willing to bet you never bought one or if you did not long enough to appreciate it.

According to that 1UP article, the N64 had the highest rated 'launch' with TWO flipping games. At least Dcast had a more fruitful attempt.

Besides, a good launch doesn't mean jack. Just ask Sega.:roll:[/quote]

I don't think anyone reads anymore.... My thinking is that Sega's launch games are a 74.3 BUT there were a handful of games recalled after launch because they blue screened.. no other system had to deal with games not working at system launch besides the DC.. I'm not going over the DC's entire body of work because it was a great system and had great games...

[quote name='DJSteel']I don't think anyone reads anymore.... My thinking is that Sega's launch games are a 74.3 BUT there were a handful of games recalled after launch because they blue screened.. no other system had to deal with games not working at system launch besides the DC.. I'm not going over the DC's entire body of work because it was a great system and had great games...[/quote]
People have jobs so excuse me for not reading every line in this forum. You make it sound like no other system had failings at launch. I rather have a CD that's easily replaceable go bad versus a SYSTEM that goes bad less than 6 months like the 360.

[quote name='CappyCobra']People have jobs so excuse me for not reading every line in this forum. You make it sound like no other system had failings at launch. I rather have a CD that's easily replaceable go bad versus a SYSTEM that goes bad less than 6 months like the 360.[/quote]

the DC launch, PS2 launch, Xbox Launch has made me sway me from paying for a system right at launch. I waited for a 360, now I waiting for a PS3 and/or a Wii... and I'll continue to wait until the flaws and patches are all worked out.

I like the PS2 becuse it plays ps1 titles, Plus, it has trhe feture to smuge out the pixels in older titles can the ps3 do that even play ps2 an 1 titles? opr 360 play box titles???

Im still surprised how smooth Resistance is. It was a 32 person game. And there was infinite ammo on. So i just ran around throwing the spike gernades. SO MANY SPIKES! Yet no fps drop or internet lag.

Crazy.

its a very well made game. It runs at a forced 30 fps so it can use other system resorses rather then trying to run at top speed, witch would create slow down in certen areas, like ones you mentioned.

As much as I like resistance there are some glaring flaws that make it not quite as fun as Rainbow Six Vegas or gears of war. Mostly in the presentation, and suprisingly the lack of rumble in these games really detracts =(.

[quote name='Zoglog']As much as I like resistance there are some glaring flaws that make it not quite as fun as Rainbow Six Vegas or gears of war. Mostly in the presentation, and suprisingly the lack of rumble in these games really detracts =(.[/quote]

All that rumble crap is in your mind...

I was playing Halo 1 today (I dont have my main consoles with me ATM only an Xbox) and my rumble was broken. And I didnt notice until a while later. You dont really notice it until its SAID to be missing. If sony never said anything, I am pretty sure noone would miss it.

AND once I got the rumble to work, its like someone put a vibrating dildo in man hand everytime an explosion went off... WOOO HOW IMMERSIVE!

Rumble is over hyped.

But it might be because original Xbox's rumble was horrid.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']All that rumble crap is in your mind...

I was playing Halo 1 today (I dont have my main consoles with me ATM only an Xbox) and my rumble was broken. And I didnt notice until a while later. You dont really notice it until its SAID to be missing. If sony never said anything, I am pretty sure noone would miss it.

AND once I got the rumble to work, its like someone put a vibrating dildo in man hand everytime an explosion went off... WOOO HOW IMMERSIVE!

Rumble is over hyped.

But it might be because original Xbox's rumble was horrid.[/quote]

Can't you say the same thing about graphics? Your argument is absurd. It's like saying: 720p, real-time explosions, dynamic character animations, complex AI, all on screen, WOOO HOW IMMERSIVE! The fact is that good graphics DOES immerse you better. The fact is that controller vibration DOES immerse you better.

Can you live without rumble? Yes. But does it make life better? Yes.

Can you live without cutting-edge graphics? Yes. But does it make life better? Yes.

Can you live without video games? Yes. But does it make life better? Yes.

In fact, can't you say the same thing about life...that every imaginable pleasure is just "in your head" and if you are not told that it's not there, then you are pretty sure no one would miss it? Sushi, sex, working out, VIDEO GAMES?!!!?!!!, all gone...

Honestly i've never been a fan of rumble. It feels like random vibrations not really immersive. If anything it tends to drag me out of the game because it just feels odd. It doesn't really feel like anything except random shaking of the controller.

I like rumble, one good example is in football games. When you get hit you feel it. Sure it's not exactly like being there, but it's still immersive.

[quote name='CappyCobra']Thank you for your failed insight. If you think it was a botched launch, I'm willing to bet you never bought one or if you did not long enough to appreciate it.

Besides, a good launch doesn't mean jack. Just ask Sega.:roll:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the N64 may have had two games, but Super Mario 64 was one of them. Ya know, that game thats often regarded as one of the best 3D games ever, one of the best transitions from 2D to 3D ever, in most peoples Top 10 games of all Time, the game which years after was often imitated...yeah, that game.

Dreamcast had Soul Calibur and Sonic Adventure. Two big games. PS2 had Fantavision and Sled Storm. Woah!!!!!!!

[quote name='DarkNessBear']All that rumble crap is in your mind...

Rumble is over hyped.

But it might be because original Xbox's rumble was horrid.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree. It is overhyped, it's only been used well a few times, and it's not immersive (save for a few times). And the original X-Box's rumble was terrible. It was so strong it was worthless. I just shut it off. Actually I shut it off in most games on most systems. A lot of games I play don't even have it, or have it shut off by default (ie Final Fantasy 12).

Force Feedback might be really immersive, but randomly shaking your controller every time anything happens isn't.

[quote name='gizmogc']Yeah, the N64 may have had two games, but Super Mario 64 was one of them. Ya know, that game thats often regarded as one of the best 3D games ever, one of the best transitions from 2D to 3D ever, in most peoples Top 10 games of all Time, the game which years after was often imitated...yeah, that game.[/QUOTE]

Totally off topic now, but I've never been impressed by Mario 64. Graphically sure, since there weren't many PC games doing that at the time, and obviously it had some technical advantages over Saturn games.

But it was a HORRIBLE transition to 3D. Mario 64 has virtually nothing to do with Super Mario Bros. The gameplay is completely different, and it's actually a testament to leaving 2D games 2D IMO.

I thought the game was okay, but it never really grabbed me. I liked Nights a lot better (and thankfully a few reviewers were willing to say it-Mario 64 was a sacred cow even back then).

[quote name='nintendokid']Can't you say the same thing about graphics? Your argument is absurd. It's like saying: 720p, real-time explosions, dynamic character animations, complex AI, all on screen, WOOO HOW IMMERSIVE! The fact is that good graphics DOES immerse you better. The fact is that controller vibration DOES immerse you better.

Can you live without rumble? Yes. But does it make life better? Yes.

Can you live without cutting-edge graphics? Yes. But does it make life better? Yes.

Can you live without video games? Yes. But does it make life better? Yes.

In fact, can't you say the same thing about life...that every imaginable pleasure is just "in your head" and if you are not told that it's not there, then you are pretty sure no one would miss it? Sushi, sex, working out, VIDEO GAMES?!!!?!!!, all gone...[/QUOTE]

WORKED...good post

[quote name='mykevermin']You two! shaddup! Go play on a system you like instead!

Me? I'm gonna go sit next to my PS3, since it's 30 degrees outside.[/QUOTE]

I cant help this guy doesnt know what the hell hes talkin about..lol Djsteel needs to do some research

[quote name='gizmogc']Yeah, the N64 may have had two games, but Super Mario 64 was one of them. Ya know, that game thats often regarded as one of the best 3D games ever, one of the best transitions from 2D to 3D ever, in most peoples Top 10 games of all Time, the game which years after was often imitated...yeah, that game.

Dreamcast had Soul Calibur and Sonic Adventure. Two big games. PS2 had Fantavision and Sled Storm. Woah!!!!!!![/quote]
One game can only carry a system so far no matter how revolutionary & exceptional it may be. A two game system release does not qualify for a launch IMO. It's more like a "get the fucking thing out before we totally lose a foothold" release. As much as mario kicked ass back in the day, after all was said and done & you finshed it, then what? Wait.....for a new release.

At least Nintendo is making a turning around at this point with the Wii. They have the angle no one else has so they should get a better footing at Sony's expense. I just hope they keep feeding the fire and continually release titles at a constant clip.

[quote name='Daddy']I cant help this guy doesnt know what the hell hes talkin about..lol Djsteel needs to do some research[/quote]

please son.. I've been gaming since the Atari 800 days...owned a Atari 800, NES, SNES, Genesis, PSX, N64, DC, PS2, GCN, PS2, Xbox, Xbox 360.. I know more about gaming than you wish to know. Atleast I have an open mind about the issue at hand instead of swinging from M$'s nutsack like you

[quote name='Daddy']I cant help this guy doesnt know what the hell hes talkin about..lol Djsteel needs to do some research[/QUOTE]

Now now. You're the one who simply replied "bullshit" to an analysis of gamerankings scores of launch titles (which, since it compiles and averages reviews from a large number of reputable publications and websites, has more overall credence than your claim that "you're wrong b/c I played Twisted Metal all the time."), so many of you in this thread are starting with your conclusion (Sony sucks/doesn't suck) and trying to build your case after already making up your mind. That's pretty lame, IMO.

Hmmm ok, perhaps its just i dont feel like typing out long drawn out explinations to each and every post. While gamerankings does compile instead of bashing or reviewing, it doesnt make sense alot of the times, and also a retort to every answer is not to simply refer to the other party as a fanboy as Djsteel loves to do soo much. I still think PS3 is the worst launch ever, again the hype for the system is soo low its almost laughable

[quote name='Daddy']Hmmm ok, perhaps its just i dont feel like typing out long drawn out explinations to each and every post. While gamerankings does compile instead of bashing or reviewing, it doesnt make sense alot of the times, and also a retort to every answer is not to simply refer to the other party as a fanboy as Djsteel loves to do soo much. I still think PS3 is the worst launch ever, again the hype for the system is soo low its almost laughable[/QUOTE]

I don't agree with that - while I think the 360 will benefit from the scarcity of Wii/PS3 consoles on the shelves (and their fanfuckingtastic software lineup), amidst the holiday hoopla over what to buy this year, the 360 seems to be, quite literally, last year's news. How that translates to actual sales is irrelevant, if you're talking merely about "hype" surrounding a system. There's zero hype around the PS2, for example, but I genuinely won't be surprised to find that it would be the #3 most popular console this holiday season.

[quote name='DJSteel']you can think what you like.. you are still wrong...[/QUOTE]

Thats just it you can at least admit its opinion, hell if I could id play this online vs friends:

General_Chaos_GEN_ScreenShot2.jpg

But hey like I said and you should know if you in my age bracket since you have the atari's as well, I havent seen one system this dulled down at a launch EVER, there is absoluetly no hype EVEN after the system came out

[quote name='mykevermin']I don't agree with that - while I think the 360 will benefit from the scarcity of Wii/PS3 consoles on the shelves (and their fanfuckingtastic software lineup), amidst the holiday hoopla over what to buy this year, the 360 seems to be, quite literally, last year's news. How that translates to actual sales is irrelevant, if you're talking merely about "hype" surrounding a system. There's zero hype around the PS2, for example, but I genuinely won't be surprised to find that it would be the #3 most popular console this holiday season.[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah definelty 360 is last year but R6 vegas and GOW are holding it up right now easily. Perhaps MGS4 can do this if it launches holiday 2007 but by this example it would ALSO be last years news (especially if konami forces hideo into a 360 release for sales)

[quote name='mykevermin']I don't agree with that - while I think the 360 will benefit from the scarcity of Wii/PS3 consoles on the shelves (and their fanfuckingtastic software lineup), amidst the holiday hoopla over what to buy this year, the 360 seems to be, quite literally, last year's news. How that translates to actual sales is irrelevant, if you're talking merely about "hype" surrounding a system. There's zero hype around the PS2, for example, but I genuinely won't be surprised to find that it would be the #3 most popular console this holiday season.[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing it will be number 5. My prediction for sales in November / December. And I'm not an MS fanboy, I own all systems from last gen minus the PSP. I own no systems from this GEN yet.

Wii
DS
GBA Micro (39.99 and 34.99 they must have sold a lot)
PS2
PS3

No need to tell me if you're a fanboy or not, as I can usually tell from the context of people's posts.

Well, we actually agree, because after I made the post you quoted, I realized I omitted handheld consoles. I doubt there are enough GBA Micros out there in the market to put it amongst the top 6 (and that they are truly being clearanced everywhere). However, I mostly agree with your arrangment. Exceptions being the Wii (I think there won't be enough in the US to outsell the DS Lite, but it will easily take 3rd when including handhelds), and I've got to figure the PSP in there somewhere. Right above the PS2 would be my guess (but below 360, DSL, and Wii).

Current Top 10 Video Game Sellers at Amazon

1. DSLite
2. NSMB
3. Brain Age
4. 360 Wireless Controller
5. Gears of War
6. FF12
7. Madden 07(PS2)
8. Premium 360
9. DS regular Blue
10. WoW: Burning Crusade

13. PS2 Slim

Edit: With regards to the PSP, the GBA has been outselling it for some months now. I dont think the Holiday season should be any exception to this.

My guess is that we'll end up with the PSP in the top five at least certainly behind the PS2, DS, and 360 and maybe behind the Wii.

It blows my mind that people are buying GBAs. It would be one thing if they were getting them for Gameboy/Color compatibility. But you know perfectly well they don't get that the system is dead, and for slightly more they could have a new system that plays GBA games too.

I have a friend who bought a GBA a few months ago and had NO idea the DS existed.

I was in a store a few weeks ago, and just tried to warn a woman that the GBA was dead, and she might want to consider the DS...turns out she already HAD a DS, and wanted to play GBA games...

[quote name='Puppy']It blows my mind that people are buying GBAs. It would be one thing if they were getting them for Gameboy/Color compatibility. But you know perfectly well they don't get that the system is dead, and for slightly more they could have a new system that plays GBA games too.

I have a friend who bought a GBA a few months ago and had NO idea the DS existed.

I was in a store a few weeks ago, and just tried to warn a woman that the GBA was dead, and she might want to consider the DS...turns out she already HAD a DS, and wanted to play GBA games...[/QUOTE]

I'm considering buying a GBA on the cheap so I can play my GB/GBC games. I don't think that there are many GBA buyers like me, however, just people who want a good discount.

Cant wait for the next wave of games on any system, gotta get that Wii as well with Zelda love that game

[quote name='Puppy']It blows my mind that people are buying GBAs. It would be one thing if they were getting them for Gameboy/Color compatibility. But you know perfectly well they don't get that the system is dead, and for slightly more they could have a new system that plays GBA games too.

I was in a store a few weeks ago, and just tried to warn a woman that the GBA was dead, and she might want to consider the DS...turns out she already HAD a DS, and wanted to play GBA games...[/quote]

Just what exactly are you trying to say? Even though I have never owned a portable system, that's just not my thing, I acknowledge how successful each and every Gameboy reiteration has been. Sure, the upcoming releases look bleek, but it's far from dead. FFVI, anyone? People just want the GBA for GBA games.

Have you even checked out what's available for the GBA? Not just new or upcoming, but the backlog is just monstrous - Zelda's, Golden Sun's, FFIV, V Advance (soon VI), classic remakes, it's just untouchable. It doesn't take a genius to know that PSP has like...what, 5 games that are actually good, and even those 5 games are just about average, Tekken 5 DR probably being the standout.

Yes it is dead. Aside from a port of a 14 year old game that's already been recently rereleased on another platform, what else is there?

And more to the point, the DS already plays GBA games.

Buying a GBA (except for people trying to get GB/GBC compatibility) is as stupid as it would be to buy a Playstation 1 for $80 if it were still available. It makes no sense.

[quote name='Puppy']It blows my mind that people are buying GBAs. [/quote]

GBAs are still the best system for young children. Plenty of licensed games, not as expensive as DS for both hardware and software, and extremely durable.

Maybe...but isn't most of that licensed stuff garbage? Not all of it of course, but a substantial portion.

I lean people towards Nintendo's all ages games. I REALLY wish there were more all-ages games like there used to be. I like stuff with dark themes, etc., but I'd get tired if that's all there was.

[quote name='Puppy']Maybe...but isn't most of that licensed stuff garbage? Not all of it of course, but a substantial portion.

I lean people towards Nintendo's all ages games. I REALLY wish there were more all-ages games like there used to be. I like stuff with dark themes, etc., but I'd get tired if that's all there was.[/quote]

No, I like Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron. LOL! Terrible. Horrible. Putrid!

[quote name='Puppy']Maybe...but isn't most of that licensed stuff garbage? [/quote]Maybe, but do most young kids care? They've got a game with whatever their favorite TV show/movie is in it and they're amused with it for a decent amount of time.

I did. I think there's too much "kids are dumb, they don't know the difference". They can still tell a good game from a bad game, they just don't have as much experience so something we might have played before in a different form they'd still like.

IMO makes more sense to give them good games that are okay for kids, rather than garbage that's targeted at them.

ie Give them a copy of Super Mario Bros. 3, not Shrek's butt slamin' jambaree.

The thing sux until more games come out or the price drops or both....nothing justifying the price

[quote name='DJSteel']you are a f'n troll.. go back to your cave...[/QUOTE]

*In my Lord Of the RIngs Battle For Middle Earth 2 goblin voice*: "We need more resources!"

[quote name='Puppy']Yes it is dead. Aside from a port of a 14 year old game that's already been recently rereleased on another platform, what else is there?

And more to the point, the DS already plays GBA games.

Buying a GBA (except for people trying to get GB/GBC compatibility) is as stupid as it would be to buy a Playstation 1 for $80 if it were still available. It makes no sense.[/QUOTE]

I have a GBA that my 4 year-old uses. No way he gets to touch the other kids' DS! I also just bought a Micro (for $40 from CompUSA) just to have another one for car trips and the like. Admittedly we haven't used it much in the month+ that we've had it, but it is there for future use (the regular GBA gets used almost daily though). Even if no more games were released for the GBA it will continue to be a great system for quite a while. And my kids don't play the licensed crap either. Here's what's in the current grab bag of GBA games my 4 year-old switches out (much too often for my liking, but what they hey): SMB3, DK Country 2, Wario Ware, Wario Ware Twisted, and Lego Star Wars.

I have a TON of GBA games sitting sealed from various CAG deals. Most are for me (RPGs and the like) but I just haven't had the time for them. Of course, I'll play them on my DS Lite if I ever get around to them.

Having said all that, I wouldn't buy a GBA for full price any more. The Micro at $40 was just about the max I would pay. And like many others I have seen many a parent passing up the DS for the GBA several times at stores (and usually buying a licensed piece o' crap game to go along with it). A few times I've seen them turned off the DS by the salespeople as being "too complicated" for kids. And not little kids either (in one case it was for an 8 year-old) - like I said, I wouldn't give the DS to my 4 year-old, but my 6 year-old loves it (and can handle it without scratching, dropping, etc).

bread's done
Back