Whats in the PS Store Thread: Sega Superstars Tennis and Condemned 2 demos up now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought Sega Rally Revo was fun, but DiRT is better. However, I've been playing SR for years and it plays like any SR game.

I liked NBA 08 personally, but I might have to give the edge to 2k8 this year (the game is too well done).

Skate wasn't for me, but done well.

Yeah, even if you prefer racers, I have to say that DiRT is much better, at least compared with that demo.

I actually did like skate and I haven't been into a skateboard game in a long, long time.

Finally, I almost bit on Locococoa or whatever it's called, but for some reason I couldn't do it. I'll wait on some more reviews, even at $7...

[quote name='gunm']

Finally, I almost bit on Locococoa or whatever it's called, but for some reason I couldn't do it. I'll wait on some more reviews, even at $7...[/QUOTE]

same here... I am very interested in it but not willing to buy it... i need some reviews.

My impressions:

Skate: Cool, and fun, but hard to get the hang of at first. I'm so used to TH.
Sega Rally: Poor graphics, and legacy control. Pass for Dirt.
Stuntman: Fun, but frustrating!
NBA 08: Dumb, NBA Live kicks it's ass graphically. I'll wait for NBA2k8 however.

[quote name='dallow']My impressions:

Skate: Cool, and fun, but hard to get the hang of at first. I'm so used to TH.
Sega Rally: Poor graphics, and legacy control. Pass for Dirt.
Stuntman: Fun, but frustrating!
NBA 08: Dumb, NBA Live kicks it's ass graphically. I'll wait for NBA2k8 however.[/QUOTE]

have played the full versions of these two I'll say this:

Stuntman: Very thrilling and well put together, but expect alot of memorizing, repeating, and quick reflexes.

Skate: Demo is the tip of the iceberg... yes everything you can do in the skate demo is there to do in the full game, but it's the cities that really change the feel... also, don't go with it if you don't want an organic feeling game and enjoy arcade fast things... you need to be good.

[quote name='dallow']Skate: Cool, and fun, but hard to get the hang of at first. I'm so used to TH.[/QUOTE]

I cant count the number of times I pressed X to ollie in the Skate demo. Tony Hawk is almost instinctual to me anymore. Maybe if Skate had a different art style or something I would adapt more quickly. I do like it quite a bit, and will probably pick it up after it drops in price.

I haven't played a Tony Hawk game in forever, guess that helped b/c I really got into the skate demo. I got used to the controls pretty easy and I like the layout and presentation of it. I'll be picking it up, but maybe hold out for a price drop first/sale or somethin'

[quote name='strummerbs']I cant count the number of times I pressed X to ollie in the Skate demo. Tony Hawk is almost instinctual to me anymore. Maybe if Skate had a different art style or something I would adapt more quickly. I do like it quite a bit, and will probably pick it up after it drops in price.[/quote]
I haven't played a Tony Hawk game since the original on PS1. I think I played once on N64, but don't remember it to well. I downloaded the new Tony Hawk Demo and hated it. I turned it off and deleted it after about 5 minutes of playing.

I then played the SKATE demo and thankfully liked it a whole lot better. It screwed with me because I kept trying to push forward to move. But I REALLY like the controls. I haven't gotten them down at all yet, but I really like the concept. The only thing that really trips me up is that I have to use the same thumb to move AND jump. I'm going to really have to worry about timing when I'm skating and when I need to jump as opposed to jumping by pushing a button.

I do NOT like that the demo has a freakin' timer on it though. That really sucks.

[quote name='GuyWithGun']
I do NOT like that the demo has a freakin' timer on it though. That really sucks.[/quote]

A timer? Whaddya mean? I played the demo for awhile and didn't run into any timers :eek:

[quote name='Inf^Shini']A timer? Whaddya mean? I played the demo for awhile and didn't run into any timers :eek:[/quote]

You get 30 mins until it boots you. I ran into it once.

[quote name='primetime']You get 30 mins until it boots you. I ran into it once.[/quote]
Yeah, after playing a couple times, it's not that much of a hassle. You just have to start the training over every time. At first I thought it was a total timer for the download and that you only had 30 minutes before the demo just wouldn't work. Not as bad now though. I guess it'll give me a lot of practice with the basics until I decide to buy it.

I'm late in posting this, but I finally played the Stuntman demo last night. It's actually quite fun >.

[quote name='w1r3d']I'm late in posting this, but I finally played the Stuntman demo last night. It's actually quite fun >.

[quote name='dallow']Nope, not really.
They just got a lot of videos.
Maybe a surprise tomorrow.[/quote]
Yeah, I just checked and didn't see anything demo-ish. I think I saw a bunch of new PS1 games in their store, which will piss off myke for sure, and some DLC items.

US Update:

Hi, everyone. It’s time for the PLAYSTATION Store weekly update.

We have two great PS3 demos this week:
• Clive Barker’s Jericho
• NBA 2K8

We also have a couple more add-ons. The first is a new vehicle for MotorStorm. This vehicle, the “Castro Capitano,” is not offered in any other MotorStorm bundle, and it’s only $0.99. There’s also a new Speed Master add-on for Ninja Gaiden Sigma.

As usual, we released more game videos and movie trailers:
• NBA 08 Upside Progression System tutorial
• Eye of Judgement Overview
• Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock trailer
• Iron Man trailer
• We Own the Night trailer

Not as great as the last few weeks but I'll take it.
Now all 3 basketball games are up. :)
Don't let me down 2K8!

Also, the Folklore demo went up in Europe, it is the old Japanese demo but with English translation. So it's kind of new. I'll get it and replace my Japanese demo.

R&C demo and game both pushed back a week.

Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction Goes Gold, Demo Coming!

+ Posted by Greg Phillips // Line Producer, SCEA

Hey everyone, I thought I would hop on and give you a quick update on where we’re at with Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction.

I’m happy to report that we’ve gone gold! The game is finished and will hit a store near you on October 30. As some of you know, this is a week later than the Oct 23rd date stated previously, but the extra wait will be worth it. Insomniac has been hard at work squeezing every last detail, dance move and tool of destruction that we could fit onto a Blu-Ray disc (while leaving some room to fit Captain Qwark’s massive ego). This makes it the largest Ratchet & Clank experience ever.

I am also happy to report that we are wrapping up work on an updated and optimized version of our E3 demo (which is also available at Gamestop if you pre-order RCF) as I type this, and should be available via PSN in North America by October 11. The demo will be of Metropolis, the signature level in the Ratchet & Clank franchise. Well, it was the signature level… before we blew it to bits in this demo:)

Finally, I’m including a quick link to our newest trailer for your viewing pleasure. A hi-res version can be downloaded from the PlayStation Store for free. Enjoy!

http://blog.us.playstation.com/

From the dev:

2cpdaoi.gif

Oct 11th for the demo is right... pretty sure for Europe now as well.

And it is a demo based on the final code. Optimized, so the tearing you guys were worried about will be gone.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']It's up now.

I told you it was up too early last week, Shini.

Edit: The NBA 2K8 demo's tiny, under 300 MB.[/quote]

What was wrong with that?!?

[quote name='gunm']I played the 2K8 demo on 360, but I may still dl for PS3, just for comparative purposes.[/quote]

2K8 is still the unquestioned hoops king. Coach Pop looks funny though :)

I'm not sure if the game looks a lot better in HD, but this is one fugly game on my SD TV, which NBA Live and NBA 08 looked very good. I think NBA 2K5, the last 2K game I played, looked better.

Did anyone else think that the graphics on the Jericho demo were severely unimpressive? I hope those aren't final, the smoke effects and such were terribly done.

[quote name='doubledown']I wonder if there is any difference between the 360 and PS3 Jericho demos? I will have to download both and try each.[/QUOTE]

I came in here looking for comments to help me decide. Was hoping I wouldn't have to do the same thing.

NBA 2K every year has been my favorite game. But this year, after playing the demo, I feel like it's lacking. It's still better than Live of course, but not graphics wise. Anyways, I liked NBA 08 overall the best.

I downloaded all the NBA demos for the PS3 and I must they are all horrible. I am a long time 2K fan but, like someone mentioned, NBA 2k8 looked worse than NBA 2k7. WTF. On the otherhand I loved the Jericho demo, it gave off a Doom feel of suspense, I'm definitely picking this up along Folklore in October.

NBA 08 Review, Gamespot said: "If you fancy an online game you can go online, but if your experience is anything like ours, you won't be able to find anyone to play unless you get a second copy of the game and trick a friend into playing."

Wait, is negative nancy review guy bashing that? It isn't even released yet, is it?

Finally played the NBA 2K8 demo and I'm floored that NBA Live 08 was easily a much, much, much better-looking, and playing, game. Sony's NBA 08 may even be a better game, and that's not even a thought I ever intended to have this year. It seems like they wanted a big challenge for themselves to overcome next year. I seriously expected better than the high-res PS2 game that the NBA 2K8 demo is.

This is what you 2K people were saying was better than Live?

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Finally played the NBA 2K8 demo and I'm floored that NBA Live 08 was easily a much, much, much better-looking, and playing, game. Sony's NBA 08 may even be a better game, and that's not even a thought I ever intended to have this year. It seems like they wanted a big challenge for themselves to overcome next year. I seriously expected better than the high-res PS2 game that the NBA 2K8 demo is.

This is what you 2K people were saying was better than Live?[/quote]

I don't know, after replaying Live and 2K, i've gotta say that despite looking like crap 2K8 plays the better brand of ball.

Live has improved so much, but I'm just in love with the off the ball movement, def. awareness, etc. in 2K8. I had at least 2 times where the AI would score on a backcut pass because the defense was overplaying. Typically I prefer the slower, cerebral type of basketball sim, which is probably why (along with me not being able to get through the Live demo without the framerate crashing on me) I preferred 2K.

I'm not in love with the shot stick intead of isomotion on the right stick, maybe I could get used to it.

I still think NBA 08 is not even in the same league. The demo makes me cringe.

[quote name='primetime']I don't know, after replaying Live and 2K, i've gotta say that despite looking like crap 2K8 plays the better brand of ball.

Live has improved so much, but I'm just in love with the off the ball movement, def. awareness, etc. in 2K8. I had at least 2 times where the AI would score on a backcut pass because the defense was overplaying. Typically I prefer the slower, cerebral type of basketball sim, which is probably why (along with me not being able to get through the Live demo without the framerate crashing on me) I preferred 2K.

I'm not in love with the shot stick intead of isomotion on the right stick, maybe I could get used to it.

I still think NBA 08 is not even in the same league. The demo makes me cringe.[/quote]
The gameplay and controls were just way too clunky for my taste, which is where NBA Live 08 excels. The shot stick was useless, though maybe it's more intuitive than the rather uninuitive shooting mechanic, and their implementation of Sixaxis free throw shooting (NBA Live's is simple and easy to use while also just being an option, in the demo) is crap. I'm not a fan of the unskippable transitions into replays either.

The past season or two, Sony's NBA series has been getting better and better and the game has the look down and plays well. The whole NBA replay and game of the week thing's pretty cool and offers some interesting new modes that nobody else's trying. I probably wouldn't touch it unless it's cheap or free though.

I could see these three games being fairly close in score when the reviews come out.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']The gameplay and controls were just way too clunky for my taste, which is where NBA Live 08 excels. The shot stick was useless, though maybe it's more intuitive than the rather uninuitive shooting mechanic, and their implementation of Sixaxis free throw shooting (NBA Live's is simple and easy to use while also just being an option, in the demo) is crap. I'm not a fan of the unskippable transitions into replays either.

The past season or two, Sony's NBA series has been getting better and better and the game has the look down and plays well. The whole NBA replay and game of the week thing's pretty cool and offers some interesting new modes that nobody else's trying. I probably wouldn't touch it unless it's cheap or free though.

I could see these three games being fairly close in score when the reviews come out.[/quote]

I do agree that 2K8 feels a lot stiffer than Live, kinda like the difference between APF and Madden.

Oddly enough, I prefer the fluidity of Madden but the stiffness of 2K8.

[quote name='primetime']I do agree that 2K8 feels a lot stiffer than Live, kinda like the difference between APF and Madden.

Oddly enough, I prefer the fluidity of Madden but the stiffness of 2K8.[/quote]
I liked both, but Madden had the edge for me with the variety of single-player modes. That and control customization.

Man what the hell is wrong with the Jericho demo, it won't work for me!

It won't register my button presses.

I had to press the x button a bunch of times (track and field) style and it finally let m through, then I had to do it again in the 2nd menu.
I accidently paused in game and had to do it again.

Once I was in the game, things controlled fine.
But the particle effects were all in slow motion.
I fire a bullet and the casing flies out and takes literally, 6-7 seconds to hit the ground.
Surely something is wrong.

I just deleted it now and am redownloading it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back