What's the Best 3-Album Run in History?

[quote name='willardhaven']How could you leave out Under the Running Board, yet include Irony is a Dead Scene?[/QUOTE]

Selective memory is a blessing when dealing with this kind of taxonomy.

[quote name='ZForce915']Math and Other Problems - Hey! Album - ReadySexGo (Marvelous 3)[/quote]

I should find a copy of Math and Other Problems - I love The Hey! Album and ReadySexGo! I don't know why I haven't yet...

[quote name='Ugamer_X']Nothing really wrong with that album, but it doesn't even touch The Wall. Plus, it's basically a Roger Waters album, with Mason and Gilmour in background roles.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but as much as I like The Wall it is far overrated (but not as much as that tripe Gilmour tried to hawk off as "Momentary Lapse Of Reason"). I do agree that its a Roger Waters solo album but I prefer The Fnal Cut over The Wall in general.

And to contribute to the best 3-Album run in History...

Roger Waters: Pros And Cons Of Hitchhiking - Radio K.A.O.S. - Amused To Death

Ace Of Base: The Bridge - Flowers - Da Capo

[quote name='willardhaven']I should ask, have you listened to Calculating Infinity?[/QUOTE]

Yup. I'm not the type to hype something I don't know about, so don't worry about that.

Rubber Soul, Revolver, St. Pepper's

Rockin' the Suburbs, Ben Foolds Live, Songs for Silverman

Remember Two Things, Under the Table and Dreaming, Crash

Clouds Taste Metallic, Soft Bulletin, Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots

Give 'Em Enough Rope, London Calling, Sandinista!

American Recordings I, II, III,

Highway 61 Revisited, Blonde On Blonde, John Wesley Harding

Dub 56, Hard Band for Dead, Don't Let the Bastards Grind You Down

Let's Go, And Out Come the Wolves, Life Won't Wait

Mule Variations, Alice, Blood Money

Gish, Siamese Dream, Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness

Risin' Outlaw, Lovesick, Broke & Driftin', Straight to Hell

Licensed To Ill, Paul's Boutique, Check Your Head

Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, And Justice for All

Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers

This is all I could think about ATM. I thought of too many that had a good run for two then a stinker then the third, but three in a row is tough.

[quote name='Ledhed']Yup. I'm not the type to hype something I don't know about, so don't worry about that.[/quote]

Yeah, I was going to argue that most of the ideas that came to fruition on CI originated on URB, but then I thought about the fact that I like tomato sauce even though I detest tomatoes.

So I guess I can understand, but Irony was pretty weak unless you're a huge Patton fan.

[quote name='javeryh']I should find a copy of Math and Other Problems - I love The Hey! Album and ReadySexGo! I don't know why I haven't yet...[/QUOTE]

It's an acquired taste, but it contains some of my favorite tracks like "Katrina" & "Appetite". Good stuff, but a smidge dated.

[quote name='willardhaven']311 - Transistor - Sound System[/QUOTE]

Were those 3 back-to-back? I don't think they were... But anywho, for my money it's: Soundsystem - From Chaos *best ever* - Evolver

[quote name='DJ K8E']
Were those 3 back-to-back? I don't think they were... But anywho, for my money it's: Soundsystem - From Chaos *best ever* - Evolver[/quote]

I don't really count the live compilation since it's not really an album.

Edit: I like all of their albums, but my favorite tunes are on 311 and Transistor. From Chaos is really good too.

[quote name='willardhaven']I don't really count the live compilation since it's not really an album.

Edit: I like all of their albums, but my favorite tunes are on 311 and Transistor. From Chaos is really good too.[/QUOTE]

That's right I'm thinking something else. My bad.

[quote name='DJ K8E']Were those 3 back-to-back? I don't think they were... But anywho, for my money it's: Soundsystem - From Chaos *best ever* - Evolver[/QUOTE]

Hey, nice; I thought I was the only one who thought From Chaos was their best album.

[quote name='Brak']Hey, nice; I thought I was the only one who thought From Chaos was their best album.[/QUOTE]

I don't see how they ever will touch Soundsystem. That is there most brilliant album to me.

Anyways, I think the best 3 album runs have been metioned: Tool, RATM, Led Zeppelin (they never had a bad album!)

I'm going to throw this one out:

Portihead: Dummy - (self-titled) - PNYC (Live album, but I think it counts)

[quote name='javeryh']I should find a copy of Math and Other Problems - I love The Hey! Album and ReadySexGo! I don't know why I haven't yet...[/QUOTE]

It is usually the harder to find of the 3. Check your used CD stores and maybe you'll get lucky.

[quote name='willardhaven']So I guess I can understand, but Irony was pretty weak unless you're a huge Patton fan.[/QUOTE]

Therein lies your answer.

[quote name='spoo']Mule Variations, Alice, Blood Money[/QUOTE]

I gotta go Bone Machine, Mule, then Alice.

[quote name='Ledhed']GodWeenSatan - Pure Guava - Chocolate and Cheese[/QUOTE]

You skipped The Pod, nub.

And since we're talking Ween: Chocolate and Cheese - 12 Golden Country Greats - The Mollusk. Of course, all of their stuff kicks an immeasurable amount of ass.

I AGREE. You sir, are my hero.

[quote name='iheartmetal']
untitled25je.gif

rhapsody_dov.jpg
Dawn of Victory

rhapsody_rain.jpg
Rain of a Thousand Flames

rhapsody_potdf.jpg
Power of the Dragonflame

rhapsody_thumb.jpg

oh im dead serious too.[/quote]

nia, blazing arrow, the craft- blackalicious

me against the world, all eyez on me, 7 day theory- tupac

are you experienced, axis: bold as love, electric ladyland- jimi hendrix

manifest destiny, black star, black on both sides- mos def

black star, reflection eternal, quality- talib kweli

plastic ono band, imagine, mind games- john lennon

smells like children, antichrist superstar, mechanical animals- marilyn manson

How did this slip my mind?

My Aim Is True - This Years Model - Armed Forces - Get Happy - Trust

That's the best 5-album streak ever. Foolio.

[quote name='depascal22']3-6 Mafia
1. Mystic Stylez
2. The End
3. World Domination

Dr. Dre
1. The Chronic
2. Aftermath
3. Chronic 2001[/QUOTE]
aftermath is not even a dre album it has one song from him and the rest is from people in his stable that he was trying to promote

[quote name='st0neface']

manifest destiny, black star, black on both sides- mos def

black star, reflection eternal, quality- talib kweli

[/QUOTE]

Nah, that can't work like that. Mind you they are cold cds, but BlackStar is Mos & Tweli and since Mos and Kweli wasn't made another album together that can't count.

my personal favorite is failure's 3 studio discs:

comfort
magnified
fantastic planet (best rock album of the 90's IMO)

i think the best run ever was david bowie during the 70's. hard to pick 3, but if they have to be back to back releases i'd go with:

hunky dory
the rise and fall of ziggy stardust and the spiders from mars (probably my favorite album of all time, complete masterpiece from start to finish)
aladdin sane

[quote name='jlarlee']aftermath is not even a dre album it has one song from him and the rest is from people in his stable that he was trying to promote[/quote]

Yeah I know. I needed 3 albums and I won't let those 2 classics stay off this list. Technically, his other 2 albums are also compilations. There are more guys on those albums than a No Limit album from the late 90's.

[quote name='darkmere']my personal favorite is failure's 3 studio discs:

comfort
magnified
fantastic planet (best rock album of the 90's IMO)[/quote]

Great call. Failure rules.

[quote name='raregamergirl']Quillion, are you from Columbus, OH? I did not realize that anyone knew who watershed was outside of Columbus. Amazing band, met them couple times now, seen them several as well, one of my favorite bands (and they are obviously from Columbus as well)[/quote]
Not originally from Columbus, but lived there for a bit. I'm in Dayton, OH now.

Yeah, I love watershed, been to many of their shows. I'll be going to the Cinco de Mayo show at Flannagans with a buddy who still lives in Cols.

www.watershedcentral.com

I used to be, about 6 years ago on a first name basis with Colin, but he didn't recognize me last time I saw him.

IM me sometime, it's in my profile.

[quote name='javeryh']Great call. Failure rules.[/QUOTE]
yeah...i finally got my hands on comfort after years of searching (i'm pretty sure it's out of print.) also found a bunch of bootleg live recordings and demos. can't get enough of them. i'm finally feeling like my failure collection is complete, which kinda saddens me there's nothing more to look forward to. then again, in the 5 or so years i've owned fantastic planet it hasn't grown old...if anything it's even better than the first time i heard it.

[quote name='darkmere']yeah...i finally got my hands on comfort after years of searching (i'm pretty sure it's out of print.) also found a bunch of bootleg live recordings and demos. can't get enough of them. i'm finally feeling like my failure collection is complete, which kinda saddens me there's nothing more to look forward to. then again, in the 5 or so years i've owned fantastic planet it hasn't grown old...if anything it's even better than the first time i heard it.[/quote]

Do you have this: http://cdbaby.com/cd/failuredvd ?

It is pretty cool and if you are a big Failure fan you will like it...

I'll add some more, in addition to the QotSA and The Cardigans albums I've listed.

Rob Zombie:
Hellbilly Deluxe -- The Sinister Urge -- Educated Horses

White Zombie:
La Sexorcisto: Devil Music, vol.1 -- Astro-Creep: 2000 -- Super Sexy Swingin' Sounds (Remix Record)

Death From Above 1979:
Heads Up (EP) -- You're a Woman, I'm a Machine -- Romance Bloody Romance

Ryan Adams
Heartbreaker - Gold - Demolition

Bob Dylan
Everything he did in the 60's

I still think Costello had the best run though.

[quote name='javeryh']Do you have this: http://cdbaby.com/cd/failuredvd ?

It is pretty cool and if you are a big Failure fan you will like it...[/QUOTE]
yeah, bought it about a year and a half ago when i first heard about it on the local college radio station. i love the track 'wake up.' dvd is really cool too, along with the commentaries. it's amazing greg didn't end up among the rock and roll tragedies of the 90's.

i never knew about the replicants until watching the dvd, and about a month later stumbled upon a copy of that cd at a used cd store. great collection of cover songs.

oh...almost forgot about one of the best run of the early 80's...

the police:

zenyatta mondatta
ghost in the machine
synchronicity

and can't forget the clash:

the clash
london calling
sandinista!

OK, I've been in an 80s kind of mood recently and this topic popped back into my head for some reason:

Appetite For Destruction - Lies - Use Your Illusion I & II
1984 - 5150 - OU812
The Head On The Door - Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me - Disintegration
Duran Duran - Rio - Seven And The Ragged Tiger

NIN: Pretty Hate Machine, Broken, The Downward Spiral

Manson: Portrait of an American Family, Antichrist Superstar, Mechanical Animals

The Smiths: Meat is Murder, The Queen is Dead, Strangeways Here We Come

Depeche Mode: Black Celebration, Music for the Masses, Violator

[quote name='javeryh']
The Head On The Door - Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me - Disintegration
[/quote]

Hells yes.

Saves the Day:
Can't Slow Down - I'm Sorry I'm Leaving - Stay What You Are

Kevin Devine:
Make the Clocks Move - Split the Country Split the Streets - Put Your Ghost to Rest

Minor Threat:
Minor Threat - In My Eyes - Out of Step
-1st 2 are EPs but they were released as 1 album later. Feel free to list the as 1 album and tack Salad Days onto the end. Either way, fucking awesome.

And, though I doubt many will agree...

Live:
Mental Jewelry - Throwing Copper - Secret Samadhi
-this band and these albums defined my teenage years!

Oh, and fully agree with GNR, javery.

[quote name='johnnypark']And, though I doubt many will agree...

Live:
Mental Jewelry - Throwing Copper - Secret Samadhi
-this band and these albums defined my teenage years!
[/quote]

I'll give you Mental Jewelry and Throwing Copper - both excellent albums and pretty great for their time (my teenage years too!) but I could never get into Secret Samadhi for some reason... :D

Okay, this is going to sound biased, given my public adoration, but I vote Pearl Jam. Ten, Vs., and Vitalogy. Of course, I'd consider Stone Temple Pilots, with Core, Purple, and Tiny Music... Songs from the Vatican Gift Shop - but that selection is not without bias either. Hehehe... ;) :oops:

Cypress Hill - Black Sunday - III

even though I'm a bigger fan of IV than Cypress Hill's first album..so it could be
Black Sunday - III - IV

[quote name='javeryh']I'll give you Mental Jewelry and Throwing Copper - both excellent albums and pretty great for their time (my teenage years too!) but I could never get into Secret Samadhi for some reason... :D[/quote]

Glad to hear someone else appreciates Mental Jewelry. Ed's lyrics on that album are so far beyond anything else I've ever heard. He addresses so many spiritual issues so eloquently in just 12 songs, it really helped shape the way I see the world.

Secret Samadhi... I can see why some people who were fans of the 1st two albums didn't get into it, but I love it just as much as the others. Lakini's Juice, Turn My Head, Gas Hed Goes West, Heropsychodreamer... all amazing songs. I'll admit there are a few on there that are harder too appreciate or might have made better B-Sides, but I still love it.

That, and they followed up with the excellent Distance to Here, which always makes a black sheep album a little easier to like :)

Let's not even discuss what came after #4, though... :roll:

bread's done
Back