What's the last ancient game you popped in and were impressed by?

coltyhuxx

CAGiversary!
You know when you pop in one of those old games and you say to yourself, "Damn, this is more fun than any of the games I'm playing right now!"

I was playing Twilight Princess last night and got stuck so I popped in my Zelda collectors edition and fired up some Zelda 2:Adventures of Link. The swordplay in Zelda 2 just feels right on. Iron Knuckles be damned!

IronKnuckle.png

[quote name='coltyhuxx']You know when you pop in one of those old games and you say to yourself, "Damn, this is more fun than any of the games I'm playing right now!"[/quote]i think that about a lot of ds games vs console games

I played some Gunstar Heroes on the Wii's VC the other day. Such an awesome game that I missed out on originally cos I never had a Genesis.

I've been playing Sonic 3 & Knuckles on my Genesis a lot recently...along with a "new to me" copy of Kirby's Dreamland for my GB. They're great!

[quote name='Unickuta']Moon Patrol on the Atari 5200, definitely.[/QUOTE]

My favorite atari game of all time. A few days ago I scored Future Cop LAPD from the GS 75% off sale and played it for like 2 hours straight.

[quote name='neudog']My favorite atari game of all time. A few days ago I scored Future Cop LAPD from the GS 75% off sale and played it for like 2 hours straight.[/QUOTE]

Have you tried the multi-player mode yet? Even I enjoy it, and I usually hate multi-player.

Edit: Oh, and recently bought Assault Suit Leynos 2 for the Saturn. Very nice game, too bad it's in Japanese and was never translated.

Chakan the Foreverman. I seriously can't believe the DC sequel never took off, a shame too.

Krion Conquest on NES too. I love it's Mega Man style gameplay and graphics but (and I hate to say this) this shit is too hard for me.

[quote name='Rusty Ghia']Have you tried the multi-player mode yet? Even I enjoy it, and I usually hate multi-player.

Edit: Oh, and recently bought Assault Suit Leynos 2 for the Saturn. Very nice game, too bad it's in Japanese and was never translated.[/QUOTE]

Are you the guy that snagged it from Play Asia before I could? I really wish there was a translation, but I'll get it eventually.

MjC

Dune 2 the building of a Dynasty. DOS game.

I got sick of the emulator version and bought Gunstar Heroes on the Wii. Amazing game. One of the Sega Classics for the Genesis. Both games still hold up and are amazing.

I've been playing the original Super Mario Bros. on my GBA and forgot just how awesome of a game it is.

Oh! I recently got an old copy of Link's Awakening DX, I have the original b&w version but never played the GBC remake. My girlfriend recently tore through it and just hearing the music and helping her here and there, I couldn't believe how awesome of a game it is.

I think it's my favorite Zelda game, and if it wasn't for the Metroid series, would probably be my favorite handheld game.

[quote name='Rusty Ghia']Edit: Oh, and recently bought Assault Suit Leynos 2 for the Saturn. Very nice game, too bad it's in Japanese and was never translated.[/quote]

I got that like only year ago from a store having a going out of business sale. It was from CAG deals thread. Soooo good. ASV1, or Cybernator on the sfc/snes was one of my favorite old school games. I think they remade that game for the ps2, import obv., but I never picked it up.

For me, it'd have to be one of two games for the SNES: EarthBound, and Super Mario All Stars. Both are relatively hard to find games nowadays.

When i popped in that All-Stars, I saw all of the original Mario games for the NES, refurbished to the feel of the SNES. These games truly impressed me, even after Sunset Riders!

[quote name='Puffa469']I played some Gunstar Heroes on the Wii's VC the other day. Such an awesome game that I missed out on originally cos I never had a Genesis.[/quote]

You stole what I was going to say. :lol:

Castlevania IV for me (SNES). It was one of those "showcase" games for the SNES back in the day. It had the sweet music, the two backgrounds moving at different speeds ("parallax scrolling" I think the marketers called it), the rotation and scaling effects, etc and it was fun as hell to boot.

[quote name='MCalvert1']Are you the guy that snagged it from Play Asia before I could? I really wish there was a translation, but I'll get it eventually.

MjC[/QUOTE]

Not me, I got it off of eBay. I did check Play Asia, though.

I can't decide, so I'll list one for each console, off the top of my head:
C64/Atari800: M.U.L.E.
Nintendo 64: Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time
Dreamcast: Shenmue II
SNES (tie): Chrono Trigger/Terranigma
Genesis (tie): Pirates! Gold/Shadowrun
Sega CD: Snatcher
NES: Super Mario Bros.
Game Boy: Donkey Kong
Game Boy Color: Dragon's Lair

pitfall for the atari 2600 . it is addicrtive and best of all you cant beat it .it goes on forever.

Honestly, I'm more impressed by ancient games than I am with new ones. Most of today's games either borrowed too much from games of ye olden days or try to be too 'hip'.

Quite honestly, I'm playing through Xenogears again and I'm just like

"Wow, only 6 hours in, and already, more character development, exposition, and plot than in any current game today"

Then the fact that my characters are already level 25 and the battle system never gets old, and I'm just like, "my god, this game is amazing".

Super C (NES)

Contra was one of my favorite games as a kid and I've played through just about every game in the series, but I somehow never got around to Super C. I didn't realize that Contra had a true NES sequel until recently and ended up buying the game last week on eBay.

Going through my n64 games, Goldeneye and Perfect Dark still have some tight controls. Tetrisphere is still one of my favorite puzzle games of all time.

Famicom
Zanac
Guardian Legend

I did play these a while ago and they still play well today.

Man it's a shame compile went out of buisness a few years ago.

I just played a little "Fighting Force" [one of my favorite PSOne games when I was like 12 or 13]

and I realize why I liked it so much, very impressive for early PSONe, real 3d, pretty decent character animations, fun game play

I wish they remade this game or put it on X-Box live. I just read a bunch of Gamefaqs reviews and see nothin but 2 and 3 scores...I must have bad taste.

[quote name='sarausagi']Quite honestly, I'm playing through Xenogears again and I'm just like

"Wow, only 6 hours in, and already, more character development, exposition, and plot than in any current game today"

Then the fact that my characters are already level 25 and the battle system never gets old, and I'm just like, "my god, this game is amazing".[/quote]i liked xenogears a lot, but i did think the battle system got old

Cool Spot on the Genny

I loved this game(and its sequel Spot Goes To Hollywood) SO much that I re bought both of them(one cart only :() when I rebought a used Genny a while back.

Of course, I'm STILL looking for complete(or near complete) copies of General Chaos(one of the EA games I loved the hell out of before my disdain for them developed) and Flashback: The Quest For Identity.

I know that Flashback had a sequel on the PS1 called Fade To Black, but I never bothered to try and find it and now, it's impossible to find ANYWHERE.

Recently: Punch-Out! I haven't played it in forever, until it was released on the Virtual Console last week.

Still holds up very well, despite it being pretty simplistic in design.

Two Crude Dudes. Nothing like a spiritual sequel to Bad Dudes. That and a final boss that's a midget.

Recently I've had a craving to play old-school RPGs I never got around to beat. I've been playing FFVI Advanced and a little bit of Lunar 2. FFVI didn't age as well as I thought it would, regardless I'm gonna beat it. However Lunar 2 is great, simple, and charming.

I also popped in Flashback for Sega CD. I forgot how great that game is.

Popped in the original Zelda on NES today (via LoZ: CE) and I'm still loving it. I've done all kinds of stuff so far (blue and red rings, extra hearts, 3 swords, etc), but I STILL have trouble finding some of those dungeons (i.e. I have found and beat 1,3,4,5 and found 9, but still haven't even found 2 lol).

oh man!! monster rancher! wow i remember when i found a copy at kaybee toys waaay back when, good stuff that game :) one of my few psx games im not willing to part with

[quote name='greydemise']oh man!! monster rancher! wow i remember when i found a copy at kaybee toys waaay back when, good stuff that game :) one of my few psx games im not willing to part with[/quote]

Yeah - Monster Rancher was (when I first got it in some value bin at a used store) one of my favorite games...I was so addicted to building my lil monsters up and got SO sad the first time one died...ah youth

[quote name='coltyhuxx']You know when you pop in one of those old games and you say to yourself, "Damn, this is more fun than any of the games I'm playing right now!"

I was playing Twilight Princess last night and got stuck so I popped in my Zelda collectors edition and fired up some Zelda 2:Adventures of Link. The swordplay in Zelda 2 just feels right on. Iron Knuckles be damned!

IronKnuckle.png
[/QUOTE]

I loved the upward and doward thrusts, he looked so cool w/ those moves. Better moves than what he currently has.

little samson for the nes. if this game wasnt so rare . i am sure that these characters would in the smash brothers games. i just wish i had it when i was a kid.

I am now playing BlaZeon for the Snes, i am in my Shmup Phase. Everything about this game makes me wanna watch MSG: Char's Counterattack with the music and the uncanny appearance from some of the mobile suits in the movie.

Final Fantasy VI always impresses no matter how much I play, its my faovorite game of all time.

As for a game I have never played before until recently, I have to give that to Dracula X SNES, true it may be butchered, but it still flashes greatness and shows why the PC Engine was so great.

My roommate and I attempted to beat Ninja Gaiden 2 a while back. We played it a lot, like way too much but we still couldn't beat it. We decided that 90% of our anger issues from childhood stemmed from that game.

bread's done
Back