Whats the most disappointing game played recently ?

The first time I was disappointed by a game was Chrono Trigger over 15 years ago (sidenote: you haven't lived until you encounter a raging Chrono fanboy who can't possibly comprehend that your opinions, experiences and tastes might somewhat differ from his).
On that note, I feel like I should confess I've never actually gotten around to beating Chrono Trigger, but I've played and beaten Chrono Cross multiple times.

You can't explain that.

Where to start... Uncharted 3 was a let down. I loved Uncharted 2 and it is easy one of my favorite games this gen. When I got my hands on Uncharted 3 I felt it was just decent in comparison to Uncharted 2 and was really lacking. The story was no where near as good. Its like some famous person directed a movie for example then they handed the next one over to some new guy who had no idea what they was doing. 

Resident Evil 6. I even like Resident Evil 5 better than this one at least it was consistant. Resident Evil 6 is all over the place to me. Not saying its a bad game, but it wasn't what I expected and wasn't that fun to me. Major let down.Seems like it tries to please each Resident Evil type of fan and fails at that.

There was others, but those two was the biggest ones for me.

Bioshock Infinite.  Bioshock 1 and 2 were such perfect settings and games.  I was so disappointed with the bright and colorful cloud city plus the story was pretty stupid although maybe I'm being a little harsh on the story because I went in with super high expectations after the great reviews the game got.  Overall I was very let down by this installment.

Crystal Monsters on DSiWare. I didn't think it would be as complex as Pokemon, but it plays like a Chinese knock off.

Sweet Memories: Blackjack had horrible mechanics and you have to play hundreds of games to get anywhere.

Zelda: Skyward Sword. Just could not get past the controls.

Also, a number of re-released GameBoy games, such as Kirby's Dreamland, Super Mario Land, and Metroid II. It is just very hard for me to play that system nowadays.

I guess Sleeping Dogs. I wanted more Yakuza and less generic shooter / driving sequences.
Yes.. Japanese mafia in a Chinese city. I wish Grand Theft Auto had more spaceships.
Not sure if you're kidding or my opinion went over your head, but I was talking about the stylish fighting of the Yakuza series, with a greater focus on diverse melee combat over mediocre run-and-gun gameplay that so many games exhibit.

Although... spaceships might have made me keep playing GTA IV for more than an hour.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess Sleeping Dogs. I wanted more Yakuza and less generic shooter / driving sequences.
Yes.. Japanese mafia in a Chinese city. I wish Grand Theft Auto had more spaceships.
Not sure if you're kidding or my opinion went over your head, but I was talking about the stylish fighting of the Yakuza series, with a greater focus on diverse melee combat over mediocre run-and-gun gameplay that so many games exhibit.

Although... spaceships might have made me keep playing GTA IV for more than an hour.
Yep over my head. Logically I assumed you were talking about the mafia.

Diablo 3. Diablo 2 is basically right around my top 10 favorite games ever, and Diablo 3 is not remotely a worthy sequel. To go even further, Diablo 3 is probably my biggest disappointment ever in gaming, and also my most hated sequel.
Diablo 3 for me too. I played Diablo II on and off for 3-4 years. I probably put more hours into that game than any other single game I've ever played. Needless to say, I was eagerly anticipating Diablo 3. After getting one character to Inferno, I was done with it. The end game was worthless. The dumbing down of character development and absurd drop rates took away most of what made D2 so addicting.

The Last of Us.  This game is so good yet hindered by an unpolished combat system.  The stealth aspect just breaks randomly and is unreliable, which is pretty bad since it's the centerpiece of gameplay.  When you're forced into combat however, the game is incredibly fun.

They didn't quite strike the balance that Metro: LL has, where both stealth killing and run n' gun are rewarding.  So disappointing.

I wouldn't say disappointed, but I clearly did not enjoy Journey as much as I was supposed to. I finished it and was basically like, "well that was different."

I can't really say I'm surprised by the CAGs on here who said Mass Effect 2/3, but Mass Effect will remain my favorite series of games ever. I enjoyed all of them thoroughly and feel like hardcore RPG players hated the changes in 2/3 and just about everybody hated 3 because the ending wasn't what they expected. I won't say I loved the ending but I still thought it was acceptable even before the update.

ALSO: fuck Nintendo for making me begin to hate Zelda through the use of stupid controls. I tolerated Phantom Hourglass and then just got pissed by Spirit Tracks. Skyward Sword still makes me wish there was a GameCube version like Twilight Princess had.
I know this an old response but I agree with what you said about Zelda: Skyward Sword. I was also thinking I was the only one who felt a little restricted by the controls. I beat the game and it was great how Nintendo introduced the Wii motion plus but I still felt that the controls were awkward and the fighting mechanic for parts of the game would have been better if they included the use of the controller.

Mass Effect 2/3 for me too. In Mass Effect 2, they lowered the level gain, reduced abilities and exploration of minerals are dependent on probes plus you get charged for fuel (which this is not bad) but some changes were not for the best. I think the ME3 ending was not the best but I guess they (bioware) had to put a bittersweet ending in the game.

I also thought Journey was a little disappointing but the game was good in a different artwork and the music was really good.

For me , Bioshock.

I had never played the series before so I picked up the Ultimate Rapture Edition shortly after release with some GS credit to finally give it a shot. Well after several attempts I've finally given up on it. The world is so empty, dark, and dreary. I've talked to maybe 4 people the whole game. I dont care about the splicers or the little sisters or anything, its such a grind to get through and I have no interest in continuing any further. Add in the boring combat and the AWFUL hacking mechanics and its time to part ways with the game. I know I'm only halfway or so through the story (right before the big twist that I know is coming) but I have so little time to game these days anyway, I wanna enjoy what I'm playing.
You don't like Bioshock? You made baby Jesus cry.

J. Cripes, what did you morons expect these games to do, blow you?

This is like a list of "Best Games of the Year" with a few pieces of actual garbage thrown in for good measure.

"Wah, I'm so disappointed that Bioshock Infinite was only terrific and not mind-blowing! Wahhhh!" For every great game you didn't quite love there are a hundred awful games that looked awesome at E3.
It really blows your mind that people can dislike popular games, eh?
In the end Bioshock Infinite did not blow me away to quite the degree that the original Bioshock did but there is a very predictable backlash against *anything* that sells/performs well and is hailed as one of the best examples of its particular media. It happens with movies, music, probably books although I don't follow book critics. I'm currently waiting for the outcry about "The Last of Us" not being as great as reviews have stated.

I'm not saying that everyone who rates it a 7/10 instead of a 9/10 is full of shit but stirring the pot is a good way to get noticed.

It seems like there's an abnormally high number of people who were disappointed with it, more so than the average number of "I don't like this really popular game".

Part of me wants to say that it's probably because everyone expected it to have a big twist like the original or that they couldn't figure out the story. I liked the original slightly more thanks to its originality and concept but Infinite had a better setting, better gameplay, and told a better story.
I wasn't really impressed with either Bioshock TWEEST. It's all about the gameplay and atmoshpere with those games (at least for me). The interesting--not epic-- stories are just a bonus.

Merged Posts!?!?! Goddamnsonofabitch!!!

I think right now for me it's Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance. Having such a minimal exposure to the KH franchise and with it having the great reputation it has, I'm very disappointed. The game borders on "sucks" too much for me to really enjoy it. Am I missing something? Or is this just a stinker in the bunch?

I think right now for me it's Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance. Having such a minimal exposure to the KH franchise and with it having the great reputation it has, I'm very disappointed. The game borders on "sucks" too much for me to really enjoy it. Am I missing something? Or is this just a stinker in the bunch?
The only good games are Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2. Everything else is crap. Although, having played the games when they first came out I have no idea if they've aged well or not.

The problem is that SquareEnix always introduces some weird mechanic in the portables that hampens enjoyability. Chain of Memories had the card system, 358/2 Days had the panel system, Re:Coded had the Sector levels, and 3D had the Drop System. Aside from the Drop System, I liked 3D. I wish it was like Sonic Adventure 2 where you just played as Sora or Riku only and only changed at the start of the game.

Bioshock Infinite was completely disappointing since the first two were awesome. Same thing with Assassin's Creed 3. The Assassin's Creed series is one of my favorite ever but AC3 really fell short. I think a big part of the problem was that Connor's character was so boring compared to Ezio. I don't think there are many main characters in video games that are as compelling and engaging as Ezio and Shepard(from Mass Effect). AC3's gameplay was great, especially the ship battles but Connor was so damn boring. If he actually acted like a human the game would have been better.

Zelda: Skyward Sword. Just could not get past the controls.
This is my response...although the thread topic is tricky, as you can give different responses given different contexts. I'd say SS based on my history with the Zeldas...after Twilight Princess I was looking for redemption that wasn't there. (But I credit Nintendo for SS, I think they made an honest go of it. It just wasn't for me.)

However, I was equally disappointed -- but in a different way -- in Mass Effect. The critical response had led me to believe it was honest scifi and less conventional/Hollywood bullshit. So I'm saying SS while kicking sand in ME's face. It's a twofer.

This is going to be a left field answer but Prince of Persia The Forgotten Sands on PSP. I'm back to playing this on the Vita. I started it on the PSP. I've picked up and put down this game so many times. Mainly because the concept is awesome. It's a 2D side scroller with all the mechanics of a good Prince of Persia game (Wall Running, Speed up time, Freeze). The only problem is it's a bit rough around the edges. You really need to execute a lot perfectly and then even sometimes that doesn't work. The crazy thing it keeps me coming back for some reason. Luckily I'm on the last level nearing the end so I will finsh it. It could have been amazing. :)

The Last of Us. This game is so good yet hindered by an unpolished combat system. The stealth aspect just breaks randomly and is unreliable, which is pretty bad since it's the centerpiece of gameplay. When you're forced into combat however, the game is incredibly fun.

They didn't quite strike the balance that Metro: LL has, where both stealth killing and run n' gun are rewarding. So disappointing.
I generally feel this way. After seeing all these perfect reviews, I was hoping for something more balanced and coherent from the gameplay. Sure the story is rather solid and the voice work is fan-fucking-tastic, but stealth is wonky at times and so is the camera. It's not the perfect game people make it out to be, but it is still a really great game that people should play for the story, atmosphere and voice work alone.

Also, Mass Effect is awesome. Haters gonna hate.

Assassin's Creed 2.  The combat and the climbing mechanics really put me off this game.  I gave up after a few levels and traded it in.  I think I was spoiled rotten by the Infamous climbing mechanics.  This game just felt sluggish, and I got tired of getting stuck on walls unable to move. :(

However, I was equally disappointed -- but in a different way -- in Mass Effect. The critical response had led me to believe it was honest scifi and less conventional/Hollywood bullshit. So I'm saying SS while kicking sand in ME's face. It's a twofer.
Mass Effect is about as high brow as the recent Star Trek movies. They're fun, though.

Mass Effect, though not perfect was good. Actually recent games like Prototype 2 was disappointing especially the PC port. Also, although I liked Mass Effect 2, I thought it was a little disappointing than Mass Effect. The DLC helped make the second one better but definitely not as fresh as the original. Skyward sword was good but the controls at times were annoying, especially fighting the final boss and getting some of the extras in the game.

I have to say el shaddai, after hearing about how great/cool/unique this one was I really hated it.  Also AC III, man that was boring and just not much fun considering how hyped it was.

Heavy Rain. Playing through it now and everything is just laughably bad. The voice acting is bad and so are the animations, all the super awkward digital sex, I just can't take the game half as serious as it takes itself.

Heavy Rain. Playing through it now and everything is just laughably bad. The voice acting is bad and so are the animations, all the super awkward digital sex, I just can't take the game half as serious as it takes itself.
That's exactly why that game is great.

Marvel Heroes. Free to play but gets boring quick and over priced. Spent about 30 on it and I got bored of it before I even maxed out the three characters that I bought.

Defiance. I like the game play but not a lot of people seem to play it anymore for anything than pvp. Maybe its cause I'm on the 360 version after midnight cst. I would buy it on pc but don't like the game enough to buy it again.

Mass Effect 3. I loved one, thought 2 was ok and much better after the DLC came out but after I beat 3 I just didn't care to touch Mass Effect or any more of the franchise again.

I was also disappointed in Ni No Kuni. I can't really think of a reason why other than I was bored playing it. I play those types of games a lot so don't know why I couldn't get into it. 

Far Cry 3. It ran like garbage on PS3, frequently dropping below 20 fps. The story and characters were underdeveloped and went in a boring direction. One of the game's unique characters is underused and doesn't last long in the story. The missions were general fare besides a handful. It dropped a lot of cool things Far Cry 2 did and could have been more well developed in the sequel. Jason Brody had a terrible voice actor and was a poorly developed by the end.

Xenoblade Chronicles - After all the hype I had heard I was expecting a totally awesome game, but it was basically a single player MMO;  stupid "kill X monster" and "collect X item" quests and all.  And the combat was so dull and boring.  I couldn't force myself to finish it.

Red Dead Redemption - It's just such a big empty world with nothing going on.  It got boring pretty quickly.

Skyward Sword - This was almost an awesome game, but as others have said, the controls just killed it for me.

FFXII - Boring characters, terrible story, and "limit breaks" that are completely random.  There were some good parts to this game, but I just couldn't deal with the terrible parts.  My friend also told me that once you get a bit further in the game and get your gambits set up, you can basically enter battle, set your controller down, and win automatically...and people rag on FFXIII for it's battle system...

bread's done
Back