Whats the worse that can happen if you gameshare with a stranger?

LilPaintballer

CAGiversary!
Feedback
70 (100%)
Im curious, because recently, someone who I had played a PSN game with online earlier, messaged me say their hard drive got reformatted and they wanted to gameshare with me. I replied, you can go to my downloads and redownload it, he said he gameshared it. Had he not been a complete stranger, i would have helped, like if it was a CAG. But it got me wondering, whats the worse the could happen, I dont have a credit card inserted just a PSN card with $3.27 left on it. Also, I can just sign into someones account and go to their downloads and download it to my PS3 and be able to play it from my account no questions asked?

The WORSE would be that he wastes that $3 bucks and changes your password and keeps your psn name for whatever reason. will he do it? i dunno. Would i trust it? no. but than again i dont gameshare with anyone except with friends i've known since 6th grade. (i've already graduated college a year ago)

The ABSOLUTE Worse... They look up you address come to your house take you your family/who ever you know hostage and force you to play Rogue Warrior while sitting on a bed of nails!
But the chance of that happening are not very good :)

[quote name='BennyWii']The ABSOLUTE Worse... They look up you address come to your house take you your family/who ever you know hostage and force you to play Rogue Warrior while sitting on a bed of nails!
But the chance of that happening are not very good :)[/QUOTE]
This lol

I had my account stolen from gamesharing before. But me having all the resources I have on the fourm I traded on (I'm a Mod) I was able to figure out who exactly did it by tracking various emails and then I took a few guesses on the password as I had his account before from gamesharing and he stole mine a few months later and I got it back. Plus being able to get a users password if I need to on the site is very helpful.

It honestly is very easy to get screwed over in gamesharing. I won't do it anymore unless I actually trust the person I am doing it with.

Yeah, i obviously didn't do it, i was just wondering the worse that could happen. I wouldn't even have had NFL arcade if there wasn't tax on the PlayStation network. I wanted burnout paradise but i only had a twenty dollar card, of coarse I had to buy a game that night and couldn't wait til the next morning where i got a visa gift card which i could have combined to pay the 1.xx tax.

this is why they need to have it where when you buy a game online you then get 4 diff codes that you can trade to other people to dl. considering they say theyre ok with game sharing it makes sense to do something to make game sharing safer and easier.

[quote name='lokizz']this is why they need to have it where when you buy a game online you then get 4 diff codes that you can trade to other people to dl. considering they say theyre ok with game sharing it makes sense to do something to make game sharing safer and easier.[/QUOTE]

Gamesharing isn't something they encourage. They only allow you to activate your account on 5 different systems in case you get a new system or another one in your family. The main purpose of this was not for gamesharing. Gamesharing can be consider as an exploit if you may. Gamesharing is always do at your own risk. The worse is you will lose 1 if not all of your share. You can always reset your password if you still have your registered email. I forgot if you can change email info.

^^ That's not entirely true Jack Tretton made public statements to the effect that he said he was ok with it because that meant more people were going to play the games, and in turn meant that they were going to buy something they wouldn't normally do because of the cost being prohibitive.

Source(s) here...

http://gamingghouls.x10hosting.com/2009/03/why-does-sony-condone-
game-sharing/

SCEA’s President Jack Tretton even condones game sharing:“You can send that content to four other friends for that initial investment,” said Tretton. “We want to get the game in as many hands as possible.”
“It’s not about generating profits at each and every interaction with the consumer,” he said. “I think that really offsets the argument that says, ‘Wow, that’s a really pricey system.’”

so what the deal about sharing?

http://www.wired.com/gaming/gamingreviews/news/2006/10/71982

So that takes care of the Sony "wants" you to do it or not argument. ;) Heh.

[quote name='uncle5555']^^ That's not entirely true Jack Tretton made public statements to the effect that he said he was ok with it because that meant more people were going to play the games, and in turn meant that they were going to buy something they wouldn't normally do because of the cost being prohibitive.

Source(s) here...

http://gamingghouls.x10hosting.com/2009/03/why-does-sony-condone-
game-sharing/

SCEA’s President Jack Tretton even condones game sharing:“You can send that content to four other friends for that initial investment,” said Tretton. “We want to get the game in as many hands as possible.”
“It’s not about generating profits at each and every interaction with the consumer,” he said. “I think that really offsets the argument that says, ‘Wow, that’s a really pricey system.’”

so what the deal about sharing?

http://www.wired.com/gaming/gamingreviews/news/2006/10/71982

So that takes care of the Sony "wants" you to do it or not argument. ;) Heh.[/QUOTE]

Something a PR spokesman said years ago doesn't count. The Terms of Service are explicitly against gamesharing.

AS previously mentioned, the worst that can happen is having your password/email changed. That's why it's recommended to have a 'main' pesn account, used for playing, friends and non-sharable games (Warhawk, SOCOM, etc). You'd never gameshare with this account

Then, everytime you load a psn card or purchase a game create a new account (I'd recommend a max of $20 of funds per account to maximize the chance for gamesharing). This should protect both your main account and the rest of the accounts in case that you need to re-download any game/gameshare with a different group. The famous, don't put all of your eggs in a single basket

bread's done
Back