What's up with EB/Gamestop's "Last Copy" bullshit?

rywateska

CAGiversary!
Feedback
100 (100%)
I'm trying to buy the new UEFA Euro 08 game for the 360, and with my credit built up at EB/GS, I decided to call around and make sure that my local stores have it in stock.

After about half a dozen calls, four stores have the game. Ironically each and every store that still has the game is on their "Last Copy" ala "we have an opened game, being sold as new".

While I don't mind purchasing a harder to come by game in opened condition, I find it very hard to fathom that nearly all my local stores are on their very. last. copy.

Any insights to this? I feel as if this is all just another hidden scam. Yeah, I can understand a store here or there is about to run out, but all of them? Come on.

It's all a conspiracy. Those guys just really like to open brand new games to replace the already opened ones on the shelf.

Or, they are all lying to try to get you to come in that much sooner to buy a copy.

Some clerks in the store wanted to play it, so they "borrowed" it and are now passing the savings along to you...wait...;)

You sure "last copy" means unsealed?

For a low profile game, each store probably got no more than 4 copies, unless it's a mall or high traffic store, two or three of which probably sold on the day they received it. Then each store usually receives at most 4 copies of restock, but in most cases only get 2 copies or restock. I should also note, that most stores don't receive restock until they are completely sold out.

Simple. GameStop's too cheap to afford actual display cases and printed covers, so they gut one copy as a display model.

Yup. Much of the above covers it. The stores don't get very many copies. Especially if no one *GASP* pre-ordered it!

Which seems like an aside, but it's relevant here. If all the stores in a region only get say 1-3 orders apiece then they expect it not to sell. So they ship one small box with 4 copies probably.

Factor in that corporate LOVES to have multiple boxes of games on the wall and before you know it, they've gutted 2 copies easily. The one pre-order is put aside and someone walks in and buys the last sealed copy.

Honestly, I understand not pre-ordering if you are going to wait or get a better deal elsewhere. But not putting down $5 for a game you plan to walk in and buy the first is silly. It's plain stupid if you are going to complain about an open copy.

BTW, that last statement was not directed at OP. Just general observation.

Tired of their BS, that's why I never buy from EB anymore...haven't gotten a thing from them in 2 years. They tried to make me sell open games as 'new' for full price when I worked at GC. I will not buy an open game as new...why should I be selling it this way to someone else? Just go the route of Amazon or Buy.com, much better experience. I've been buying from them ever since and haven't been sorry. Unless you need that game right now, and you can't wait for shipping. I thought I would have this problem, but it doesn't bother me. I got a lot of games that I haven't opened yet.

OP I have been looking for that game for a long time now and every one of my stores is either sold out OR has "one last copy," which is probably gutted. Now we can all say it's a conspiracy to get you in the store and buy a gutted copy, but in my case I actually found a new one that was sealed at my store, even though I just called a week before to ask for it and was told it was sold out.

I was actually picking up MGS4 (with the little money I had left lol) and low and behold there was a copy of UEFA 2008 for the 360 stuck in the back wall, all perfectly sealed and just waiting for me. Unfortunately I didn't have the $50 to pick it up at the time so I kinda got screwed there. When you call them (if you do again anyways) ask if they have a sealed copy. They will probably feed you some BS about the one copy they have being opened but "new" so just tell them thanks, I'll find it elsewhere. Maybe one store will be desperate enough to sell that game and "find" it magically before you hang up. Just a thought.

[quote name='Lord_Kefka'].

Honestly, I understand not pre-ordering if you are going to wait or get a better deal elsewhere. But not putting down $5 for a game you plan to walk in and buy the first is silly. It's plain stupid if you are going to complain about an open copy.
[/quote]

Actualy EB/GS has a store policy to give pre-orders to walk in customers if they have to, then the original preorderer is forced to meve the $5 to another pre-order, they can't use it in store, once it is in the pre-order fund it is there to stay!!

[quote name='Sinnbox']Actualy EB/GS has a store policy to give pre-orders to walk in customers if they have to, then the original preorderer is forced to meve the $5 to another pre-order, they can't use it in store, once it is in the pre-order fund it is there to stay!![/QUOTE]

So why bother doing preorders if the preorder copies are sold to walk ins?

[quote name='Demolition Man']So why bother doing preorders if the preorder copies are sold to walk ins?[/quote]
False sense of security to the customers, money in GameStop's pockets, store employees keep their jobs.

[quote name='Tsukento']False sense of security to the customers, money in GameStop's pockets, store employees keep their jobs.[/quote]

WTF you talking about. Walk ins only get the extra left over copies. Pre-orders get first dibs. Do you know how many people I had to deny MGS4 on launch day because they didn't reserve it. We had all but two of the reservers pick up their games, and we couldn't sell the two that didn't because they were reserved.

Check your sources before you post BS. :bs:

[quote name='YoshiFan1']It happened with GTA 4. I think a few posters here even said EB sold their pre-order copy before 48 hours[/quote]

That doesn't happen around here. At our store, we sometimes hold the game for weeks (even if people come in asking for it)

One time, when the Wii Fit came out, some dude didn't pick up his copy for a week. After a week of him promising us that he'll be there (telling us to hold it) and letting us down over and over again, we finally had to sell it. The very next day, he came in. It was about 8 days after release and he was mad. I think that the guy was just dumb. The normal policy is 48-hour and he was angry that we only held it for 192...

Maybe all GS stores aren't as generous as ours, but they're not all bad...

[quote name='Sinnbox']Actualy EB/GS has a store policy to give pre-orders to walk in customers if they have to, then the original preorderer is forced to meve the $5 to another pre-order, they can't use it in store, once it is in the pre-order fund it is there to stay!![/QUOTE]

That's not true about the $5 thing, I've cancelled a preorder and used the money to buy something in the store. They weren't happy about it, and the manager forced someone else to do it, but they did it.

Aren't you going to "OPEN" it anyway? Yes, we kids like to be the first to do so, but at GameStop that's not always the case. You're not buying it to frame it are you? Seriously, if you have a problem with the way they handle "display/last" copies, you should probably take your business elsewhere. Although going somewhere else doesn't mean you're going to find what you're looking for either. The 'net isn't a guarantee either as shipping costs and delivery times can put a downer on your excitement. Then there's eBay, Amazon and the like, but those can be hit or miss too. In this scenario, i'd buy it from GS if you REALLY wanted it.

[quote name='Tsukento']Simple. GameStop's too cheap to afford actual display cases and printed covers, so they gut one copy as a display model.[/quote]

Yet they throw out the cardboard display boxes they get for pre-order advertising

[quote name='eViL D:']Aren't you going to "OPEN" it anyway? Yes, we kids like to be the first to do so, but at GameStop that's not always the case. You're not buying it to frame it are you? Seriously, if you have a problem with the way they handle "display/last" copies, you should probably take your business elsewhere. Although going somewhere else doesn't mean you're going to find what you're looking for either. The 'net isn't a guarantee either as shipping costs and delivery times can put a downer on your excitement. Then there's eBay, Amazon and the like, but those can be hit or miss too. In this scenario, i'd buy it from GS if you REALLY wanted it.[/quote]

Gamestop Dave is that you? I mean, I've never seen such a nonchalant and argumentative attitude towards people wanting a NEW game to be NEW and SEALED before, aside from that assclown who claimed to be a GS manager I believe.

Let's put it this way, if I buy a newsed game from Gamestop, then I decide within 14 or 30 days I forget which(the new/sealed return period) that I don't want it, can I bring it back and get ALL of my money back? Chances are, I would be told 'this is opened, it's NOT new' and I'd be offered the meager trade value for it and NOT the original purchase price back.

So, you see, right there is a MAIN drawback to someone accepting some shitty, pre handled, pre played, pre opened piece of garbage from Gamestop. I'm sure with the purchasing power they have and all of the profit they've made in the past couple of years, they COULD afford to buy millions of display cases and have a major printing firm print up preview covers for the newer games that they could slip into those bought cases. But as we all know, GS would rather do it the cheapo way, which I can't say I blame them.

The only problem with doing it that way, is that many games end up incomplete(because people steal the manuals/cases) and/or scratched up(from the games being put in the paper sleeves or from mishandling) before the next or first owner get them and to me a scratched up or incomplete game should NEVER be considered 'NEW'.

That's my piece on this and let me add that it has been YEARS since I bought a 'newsed' game from them and I doubt I'll EVER buy one from them again. Now, cheap used games on the other hand, those I may buy in mass quantities once their B2G1 deal starts the next time.

If the game is already opened, ask them politely if they'd be willing to sell it to you at the used price. For all you know, it might have already been played by one of the employees.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Let's put it this way, if I buy a newsed game from Gamestop, then I decide within 14 or 30 days I forget which(the new/sealed return period) that I don't want it, can I bring it back and get ALL of my money back? Chances are, I would be told 'this is opened, it's NOT new' and I'd be offered the meager trade value for it and NOT the original purchase price back.[/quote]
Here's another way that whole "new but opened" becomes a problem. Say you're buying the game as a gift for someone and it's not sealed but touted as "new." You present the gift to the person you intended to give it to...but wait! They already have it! And they've already opened their copy.

So now you have to hope the clerk who rang you up remembers you (depending on how long it's been) and is there to refund your money. Otherwise, trade-in credit is all you get.

[quote name='Tsukento']Here's another way that whole "new but opened" becomes a problem. Say you're buying the game as a gift for someone and it's not sealed but touted as "new." You present the gift to the person you intended to give it to...but wait! They already have it! And they've already opened their copy.

So now you have to hope the clerk who rang you up remembers you (depending on how long it's been) and is there to refund your money. Otherwise, trade-in credit is all you get.[/quote]

Not a problem at all. Most stores will offer to "re-seal" it for you. I've seen this happen a lot. And if they don't, and someone is buying it as a gift, they should be a smart enough consumer to ask about the return policy, and then, the clerk will remember to seal it.

Anyway, as others have said, you're looking for a very low-profile game, so it's no surprise that a lot of stores will only have the display copy left.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Not a problem at all. Most stores will offer to "re-seal" it for you. I've seen this happen a lot. And if they don't, and someone is buying it as a gift, they should be a smart enough consumer to ask about the return policy, and then, the clerk will remember to seal it.[/quote]

So if you buy a "newsed" game and they forget to re-seal it, then you can play it and return it (within 7 d) as new, but if it's sealed, no? Bleh.

edit: With regards to "newsed" product, I'd hold GS to the same standard: if they will sell as new a product that was taken home and played by employees, then they should accept a return as new with which the customer's done the same. I've never personally had a newsed situation, as I extremely rarely purchase new games.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Not a problem at all. Most stores will offer to "re-seal" it for you. I've seen this happen a lot. And if they don't, and someone is buying it as a gift, they should be a smart enough consumer to ask about the return policy, and then, the clerk will remember to seal it.[/QUOTE]
None of the nine that I've been to have ever offered any kind of "seal" for opened, new games. Nor did they seem to have any idea what I was talking about in regards to that.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Anyway, as others have said, you're looking for a very low-profile game, so it's no surprise that a lot of stores will only have the display copy left.[/quote]
This happens with HIGH PROFILE games as well. It's still a mystery how GameStop can have far less copies of Halo 3, Metal Gear Solid 4 and Brawl on their respective launch days while places like Target will have more than enough copies to last them at least two days.

Gamestop is absoulte crap. The fact that they don't shell out a little money to put up some display cases is disgraceful. I've had that scenario pan out on me before, you know the one which I had to return soemthing which I bought as new but was already opened. Even though it had a sticker on it that said "New," the asshole at GS told me that I had opened it and refused to give me back my money, but did offer to take it in as a trade-in. Gamestop sucks.

The only thing that is keeping GameStop alive is the fact that they accept trade-ins, but once people get hip to the fact that there are places like Goozex where you can trade your games and get much better value people will defect that horrid place. I don't know how a company that treats their employees and customers like shit gets to hang around for so long or has so many stores. I don't wish anything bad to happen to the employees as I know that it is not their fault, but man that is the worst company I have EVER seen; I hope it goes under.

None of the nine that I've been to have ever offered any kind of "seal" for opened, new games. Nor did they seem to have any idea what I was talking about in regards to that.

And...so? You're one person. I'm sure that I have had experiences that go completely against a certain store's policies, as well. At the end of the day, if you're buying something, and you aren't sure about the return policy, you ask. I've done that plenty of times. They are selling a "new" game, so they need to have something in place for it be brought back if it is "unopened." If they don't give you a straight answer, you don't do business with them. Simple.

This happens with HIGH PROFILE games as well. It's still a mystery how GameStop can have far less copies of Halo 3, Metal Gear Solid 4 and Brawl on their respective launch days while places like Target will have more than enough copies to last them at least two days.

Not really a mystery in the least bit. GameStop is a boutiques-type store. The stores normally do not have a lot of space, and they operate on a razor thin margin when it comes to new product. Their profits come from used sales. So, they order enough new copies to cover pre-orders and a little more. What happens if a game bombs? They are stuck with a bunch of new copies that no one is buying. It's a waste of money, and it's a waste of space.

I only like buying new, sealed stuff. I just enjoy being able to unwrap and open a brand new game, it's part of the fun for me. If other people don't care about that, fine, to each their own. But if you are advertising something as "new," then it had better be unopened, unplayed, untouched. That is what the word "new" means! If the game is unsealed and opened but still in mint condition, then describe it as "unsealed and opened but in mint condition" and don't expect me to not know or care about the difference.

After calling another six stores yesterday, I decided to bite the bullet and pick up the "Last Copy" from a nearby mall.

When I went in, I inquired to how many copies of the game the store recieved. The employee mentioned one being sold to a customer, and two being taken by himself and another employee. He went on to mention how I was lucky to pick this up, as in the four hours since I called, the store had done "$3,000 worth of business". In all actuality, it was $2,900 worth of business, with $100 in employee wages going straight back to the company. I'd argue with the employees getting the games before they hit the shelves, but honestly, they work at Gamestop (and their lives are horrible already).

I was there, had credit, and seeing how it was seemingly the real "last copy", I bought it. Walking out to my car I realized three things. First a majority the front of the 360 case was imprinted with writing (seemingly from a large address preoder?), second the game disc was slightly scuffed (you know, not really scratched, but sure as hell not perfect), and lastly I was charged tax on store credit (which unless something changed in store policy in the last few months, shouldn't have happened).

All in all, I really wanted the game and chose to use credit than actual cash. Had this experience not of involved store credit, I would have definatley purchased elsewhere. Overall, I can't bitch due to the fact that I acted like one in buying the game from them to begin with.

I have zero tolerance for when the game discs are obviously used. Employees are not suppose to be "borrowing" the display copies of new games...only used games. If I want a game, I don't mind if it is opened, but everything else should be new. The few times I bought an opened game from them, I asked to inspect the disc. One time, the employee was like, "It's new!" So, I let her ring me up, and then checked the disc right in front of her.

After calling another six stores, I decided to bite the bullet and pick up the "Last Copy" from a nearby mall yesterday.

When I went in, I inquired to how many copies of the game the store recieved. The employee mentioned one being sold to a customer, and two being taken by himself and another employee. He went on to mention how I was lucky to pick this up, as in the four hours since I called, the store had done "$3,000 worth of business". In all actuality, it was $2,900 worth of business, with $100 in employee wages going straight back to the company. I'd argue with the employees getting the games before they hit the shelves, but honestly, they work at Gamestop (and their lives are most likely horrible already).

I was there, had credit, and seeing how it was seemingly the real "last copy", I bought it. Walking out to my car I realized three things. First a majority the front of the 360 case was imprinted with writing (seemingly from a large address preoder?), second the game disc was slightly scuffed (you know, not really scratched, but sure as hell not perfect), and lastly I was charged tax on store credit (which unless something changed in store policy in the last few months, shouldn't have happened).

All in all, I really wanted the game and chose to use credit than actual cash. Had this experience not of involved store credit, I would have definatley purchased elsewhere. Overall, I can't bitch due to the fact that I acted like one in buying the game from them to begin with.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Gamestop Dave is that you? I mean, I've never seen such a nonchalant and argumentative attitude towards people wanting a NEW game to be NEW and SEALED before, aside from that assclown who claimed to be a GS manager I believe.[/quote]

Don't get your panties in a twist.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Let's put it this way, if I buy a newsed game from Gamestop, then I decide within 14 or 30 days I forget which(the new/sealed return period) that I don't want it, can I bring it back and get ALL of my money back? Chances are, I would be told 'this is opened, it's NOT new' and I'd be offered the meager trade value for it and NOT the original purchase price back.[/quote]

Have you purchased a "new, but opened" game from a Gamestop and 14-30 days later tried to returned it before? You know that they put on a sticker over the opening to "seal" it, right?

My local GS(s) is/are actually excellent with returns.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']The only problem with doing it that way, is that many games end up incomplete(because people steal the manuals/cases) and/or scratched up(from the games being put in the paper sleeves or from mishandling) before the next or first owner get them and to me a scratched up or incomplete game should NEVER be considered 'NEW'.[/quote]

Moral.... inspect the contents before you buy/leave. Ask to get something in writing if you want to push it further.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']That's my piece on this and let me add that it has been YEARS since I bought a 'newsed' game from them and I doubt I'll EVER buy one from them again.[/quote]

So, how is me having an opinion wrong, besides you thinking yours is gospel?

rywateska,

It comes down to how bad you want the game and for what reason..... Good to see you made a decision, whether or not you liked it or not.

someone could have played that game. this argument had been discussed over and over again in these forums. no matter what the outcome is, gamestop fails on this. its not an excuse to open your supposed last copy and claim its new. someone could have borrowed that copy overnight and then returned it back the next day, or worse two or more. people will never stop talking about this subject.

car salesman: "would you like to buy a brand new car?"
buyer: [looks at the muddy footprints inside] "um.. are you sure this is new?"
car salesman: "sure, gamestop does it with their games all the time, and they get away with it."

:)

[quote name='eViL D:']You know that they put on a sticker over the opening to "seal" it, right?[/QUOTE]

That's news to me. And the only times I've had someone offer to reseal the game is when I tell them I'll pass on the opened copy.

OH COME ON, IF A GAMESTOP MANAGER is giving you a hassle then they are a terrible manager. We at gamestop are trained to take care of the customer. You have a receipt that is 5 days beyond policy and you explain your story 99% of the time you are going to get your way with a receipt. i often take brand new games back that have never been sealed. Also, those who complain about last copies. It is what it is. Its our way of avoiding theft. Real gamers don't care about a piece of plastic. Do you get a discount at movie theatres because you weren't the first group of people to see a print of a new film. How about being the second person to rent a dvd. If you want it sealed, reserve it. Im more then happy to have you send me $$$ and i'll send you some plastic wrap.

[quote name='Tsukento']Simple. GameStop's too cheap to afford actual display cases and printed covers, so they gut one copy as a display model.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, most companies are willing to throw away 10s of millions of dollars for nothing. Of all the arguments against gutting games, this is the worst.

and as I've said in many other threads...

If you are getting a new game that is a display case, politely ask for a 10% discount. There is a specific code in Gamestop computers for "opened/shopworn" merchandise.

actually the 10% off is totaly against policy now and will get you fired, new is new, if someone test drives a car before you and decides to pass on it, they don't mark it down

What I don't understand is the "new" games sitting on the shelf in generic cases and most likely that's the last copy in the store.

It just boggles my mind that when the case goes missing and usually along with the manual, GS can still charge a customer the new price just for the disc. I guess it doesn't really matter for the people who throw away the case and manual.

It should make sense to convert all "new" games in generic cases to "used." But, hey, it GS and so many things don't make sense with the company.

[quote name='superdry']What I don't understand is the "new" games sitting on the shelf in generic cases and most likely that's the last copy in the store.

It just boggles my mind that when the case goes missing and usually along with the manual, GS can still charge a customer the new price just for the disc. I guess it doesn't really matter for the people who throw away the case and manual.

It should make sense to convert all "new" games in generic cases to "used." But, hey, it GS and so many things don't make sense with the company.[/quote]

What does not make sense is people making misinformed conclusions about what Gamestop does and does not. I know the manager really well at mine and asked him the other day and he said that if its a generic case new game you can get the 10% off "shopworn" discount. Its because someone has either stolen the case or its been misplaced and thus not a complete new game.

And when you buy a new game, at the store I frequent they put what I assume is a blank white price label to "seal" it if I want to bring it back.

[quote name='superdry']It just boggles my mind that when the case goes missing and usually along with the manual, GS can still charge a customer the new price just for the disc. I guess it doesn't really matter for the people who throw away the case and manual.[/quote]

Can, can, can: exactly. Anyone who pays new price for a newsed copy knowing it comes w/o case and manual has no one to blame but oneself. This isn't buying a disc-only Suikoden II and paying MSRP (which'd be a steal, but I digress); the market for most new games is quite large, so go buy it elsewhere if you don't like GS's policy.

I've had a decent experience with Gamestop. I don't go there very often, though. I've heard stories about employees pestering you to buy mag subscriptions or preorder something, but that's never happened to me.

Obviously, you try not to buy "new" games from them that are open already if you have other options, but if you're forced into that corner, try to haggle and get it cheaper since after all it is open. But, if they stay put, make sure to inspect the entire game closely before purchasing it (case, manual, disc), and make sure the employee seals it for you. I've never had an employee forget to seal my newsed games, but I've only bought like four of those from them, ever. It's a clear circular sticker that goes around the edge.

Another thing I don't like about GS/EB is that they put those ridiculous stickers over the cases, which can be annoying to take off and may leave residue.

I have zero issues with the stickers on the cases. That will come off easily with Goo Gone. I hate...hate...hate...hate...hate with an absolute passion when they ruin the inserts with the stickers. Stop that. It's completely unnecessary. I cannot believe their employees...or any humans with an IQ over 12...are incapable of keeping an eye on customers long enough to make sure they don't switch inserts around. Even then, just look at the game when they bring it. If the sticker says Perfect Dark Zero, and the insert is for GTAIV...DING DING DING...something funky is afoot.

I still cannot comprehend the lemmings that keep preordering at Gamestop.

Walk into a Target, Best Buy, Circuit City, Walmart, etc on launch day and walk out with your game. And at least two of those four is usually running a promo (free gift card, $5-10 off, free guide, etc).

The whole reason they refuse to bring in more than preorders is to 'train' the consumer to preorder. "Did you preorder? Ah, sorry, we only have enough copies to cover the customers who reserved. Can we preorder you anything today?".

Their trade in values are ripoff (try ebay, or trading here instead). Their prices for used games are ridiculous, and selling opened games as 'new' is borderline fraudulent.

There are better options for everything Gamestop does (unless you just have to have their exclusive collector's edition of a big title coming out).

Anyone who frequents Gamestop, then complains is akin to an abused woman who stays with her man, in my opinion.

Just say no.

Walk into a Target, Best Buy, Circuit City, Walmart, etc on launch day and walk out with your game. And at least two of those four is usually running a promo (free gift card, $5-10 off, free guide, etc).
Some people don't have the time to drive out to stores without a guarantee they will get a game. I live five minutes from a GameStop. I live about 20 minutes away from the closest big box. Simple math.

The whole reason they refuse to bring in more than preorders is to 'train' the consumer to preorder. "Did you preorder? Ah, sorry, we only have enough copies to cover the customers who reserved. Can we preorder you anything today?".
Wow, a business conducts practices that promotes their business. That's just...wow...way out there.

Their trade in values are ripoff (try ebay, or trading here instead). Their prices for used games are ridiculous, and selling opened games as 'new' is borderline fraudulent.
1) Their trade-in values aren't always rip-offs. Like any business dealing, you need to do your research and decide where the best place to sell a particular item is.

2) Unlike other outlets, GameStop is a guaranteed thing. On eBay, you might not get the auction price up to where you wanted it, or people might not buy at the BIN price you have. And anytime you are dealing online, there is a chance you could get scammed.

3) Learn what the word "fraud" means. Fraud has to involve some kind of deceit. The GameStop employee shows you an opened copy. After that, it's not fraud. It would only be fraud if they stuffed the game into the bag and rushed you out the door.

Anyone who frequents Gamestop, then complains is akin to an abused woman who stays with her man, in my opinion.

Just say no.
...so rather than point out these faults...we should just ignore them? Good plan. Some of us shop at GS and don't view it as the bane of existence. We would just to see them stop certain practices.

[quote name='monkeydeew']if you are going to play the game anyways, WHO CUCKING FARES if its open already[/quote]

Would you buy open food at the grocery story? I mean, you're going to eat it anyways, right?

[quote name='Scorch']Would you buy open food at the grocery story? I mean, you're going to eat it anyways, right?[/quote]

I put food into my body. If it has been tainted in someway, it could make me sick or even kill me. If a game has been tainted in someway, it can't do any harm to my body. I would say that you were comparing apples and oranges, but it's more like comparing a sailboat to a Pez dispenser.

[quote name='eViL D:']Don't get your panties in a twist.

Have you purchased a "new, but opened" game from a Gamestop and 14-30 days later tried to returned it before? You know that they put on a sticker over the opening to "seal" it, right?

My local GS(s) is/are actually excellent with returns.

Moral.... inspect the contents before you buy/leave. Ask to get something in writing if you want to push it further.

So, how is me having an opinion wrong, besides you thinking yours is gospel?
[/quote]

Actually, I wasn't getting my 'panties in a twist', I was simply stating what is said here about once a month, that we as gamers dislike the practice of Gamestop attempting to pass off opened games as 'new'.

Second, as I said in my post, it's been QUITE a while since I purchased a 'newsed' game from Gamestop and the last time I purchased even just a plain old used game, they didn't put the clear plastic 'seal' on it like they have in times past.

Of course, even the white paper seals were easily bypassed to allow me to play the game, then re-stick their seal. So yeah, I guess they had many returns within the 7 or so days during the 'seal' period, so they stopped it here.

Third, I've only ever failed to check a game maybe ONE time I bought it from Gamestop and it was only a game I intended to flip to FYE for $12-15 in cash, so I went back and had the Gamestop employee CLEAN the disc before I took it to FYE.

As for me thinking my word is gospel, that's the furthest thing from my line of thinking, but to say to gamers(especially on here) that 'you were going to play the game anyway, so what's the big deal if it's opened or not?'. Well, you obviously have either NOT been a member long since most CAGs enjoy keeping things SEALED until they play them.

bread's done
Back