What's your "Game of the Year?"

Gears of fucking War

IMO lived up to the hype and actually surpassed it. One of the finer pieces of software ever crafted.

=Runners-Up=
Resistance: Fall of Man
Wii Sports
Capcom Classics Collection II
FFXII
Oblivion

[quote name='paz9x']gow
it irks me how gow is the new halo, in the regard that its cool to bash.[/quote]

Well you have to admit that Halo was the definition of an overhyped game and when all was said and done a fairly lackluster game that for some reason filled a void that the public had been wanting. Right game at the right time.

But GoW is awesome.

Probably between Dead Rising/GoW

Call of Duty 2 would still reign for me if it wasn't for those two.

Oh and throw in Valkyrie Profile 1/2

1.) Gears of War
2.) The ElderScrolls IV: Oblivion
3.) The Legend of Zelda: The Twilight Princess
4.) Bully
5.) Okami

1. Xenosaga Episode III (PS2)

Runner-ups
2. Kingdom Hearts II (PS2)
3. Tales of the Abyss (PS2)
4. Final Fantasy XII (PS2)
5. Summon Night: Swordcraft Story 2 (GBA)
6. Atelier Iris 2: The Azoth of Destiny (PS2)
7. Valkyrie Profile 2 Silmeria (PS2)
8. Suikoden V (PS2)
9. Daxter (PSP)
10. Okami (PS2)

I thought Grandia III would make the list this year (big Grandia fanboy who even liked Xtreme, but the game was just too hard and I'm under leveled somewhere 24 hours into the game). I still love it though, regardless of what people say. I'd like to give an honorable mention to MS Saga. It didn't make the list, due to too much to list, but I absolutely love the game, regardless of what reviewers said.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Well you have to admit that Halo was the definition of an overhyped game and when all was said and done a fairly lackluster game that for some reason filled a void that the public had been wanting. Right game at the right time.

But GoW is awesome.[/QUOTE]

Why would anyone have to admit that? To some (and by some I mean a whole boatload) people Halo is an unbelievable game (myself included). Maybe it was overhyped, but it certainly was not a "fairly lackluster game". For some reason there are a large number of people who don't like the game... same can be said for many games that receive a large amount of hype. I didn't care for Oblivion, but I understand why many people like it.

Anyway as far as GOTY goes:
1. Gears of War ... I haven't had more fun playing anything else all year

2. Okami ... Shows why graphical capability is not as important as art direction when making a great looking video game.

Once I get a chance to play LoZ:TP one or both of those games will probably drop a slot...

Oblivion. One of the deepest, best looking games out there and it just came out with a $10 expansion that's as long as some other games out there. As a CAG that game provides the most gametime per dollar spent.

But GoW is easily a runner up to me since the game sports some of the most pure fun you can have in an action game.

kingdomhearts2sc00er8.jpg

Kingdom Hearts 2-
Lots of Ends tied up, great story as usual, all the awesome worlds and characters, fun combat. Storytelling and Atmosphere are amazing.

Someone please kill off JRPGs already. I just hate them for no real reason other than I think they are fruity and boring.

Gears of War. Technically it is the best looking game EVER. Gameplay wise it takes some really great ideas and makes them its own.

Zelda is still just Zelda and FF and KH can suck my right nut.

[quote name='crystalklear64']
kingdomhearts2sc00er8.jpg

Kingdom Hearts 2-
Lots of Ends tied up, great story as usual, all the awesome worlds and characters, fun combat. Storytelling and Atmosphere are amazing.[/QUOTE]

Iv been trying not to argue with others here but iv got to on this one. Im sorry but im a huge KH fan, I even plan on getting a KH tattoo. However, KH2 was not even/barely AAA and far from GotY nominee let alone winner material. The gameplay was far too button mash and easy(with a few random WTF hard parts). The story raised as many questions as it awnsered and some things like Rikus attitude towards darkness made no sense given what happaned in KH CoM. The game had ALOT of problems.

Zelda Twilight Princess

I had a lot of worries with this game but there was a point early on in playing it that I found myself getting into it in a way that was new and different from anything else before it. I was completely in the moment. I haven't finished it yet but it is holding my attention very very well. Not too bad for a 40-50 hour game IMO.

I also want to mention I don't have a 360 yet so I can't comment on those games.

[quote name='DX']Someone please kill off JRPGs already. I just hate them for no real reason other than I think they are fruity and boring.[/QUOTE]You know how much I love my JRPGs DX. :p

New Super Mario Bros., it was nice to have an original 2D Mario game and it was almost as good as the the first 4 games in the series

Gears of War

I have to say, although it will never get Game of the Year material, the NBA 2K series just keeps improving, best sports game by far for me

Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria. On my top 10 for top games of all time.
Great combat system, great story, great graphics, and an amazing bonus dungeon that I'm still not done with. I had to force myself to put it to the side so I could try and finish some other games.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Iv been trying not to argue with others here but iv got to on this one. Im sorry but im a huge KH fan, I even plan on getting a KH tattoo. However, KH2 was not even/barely AAA and far from GotY nominee let alone winner material. The gameplay was far too button mash and easy(with a few random WTF hard parts). The story raised as many questions as it awnsered and some things like Rikus attitude towards darkness made no sense given what happaned in KH CoM. The game had ALOT of problems.[/QUOTE]
Every game has "alot" of problems. Not every game has such awesome memory inspiring characters and locations, great music, an awesome combat system, and Final Fantasy+Disney. How anything could even come close to beating Final Fantasy+Disney... I dunno.

Twilight Princess is great.. but..

Trauma Center: Second Opinion for me. This game is just so much fun to me. I absolutely LOVE this game. LOVE it!

Runners up would go to Twilight Princess, Saints Row, and Tomb Raider Legend :)

Not to jump on the bandwagon, but I'd say Oblivion...

I didn't even like Morrowind, but Oblivion pulled me in like nothing else has in years (not God of War, not RE4, not Final Fantasy XII, nothing.)

Distant second would be Gears of War, because I really like the teamwork involved in multiplayer

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']I had the most fun with Suikoden V this year. Freakin' awsome!!![/QUOTE]
flierwebpe.jpg

Agreed!! That's definitely the GOTY for me as well. I was going to say before I saw your post that everyone here is a goddamn commie for not picking this game.

Runners up would be Tales of the Abyss and Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime. Biggest disappointments? FF12 and Valkyrie Profile 2. Enough said.

Sneak KIng!!! j/k

GOTY:
Gears of War - the only game where I was never ever frustrated, even after trying certain single player sections (Raam solo on hardcore...) a ton of times. Multiplayer with friends is great too. Lastly, The showcase/wow factor of this game puts it over the top.

Runners Up:
Zelda TP - Currently Making a late Run at gears
Okami - Incredible, but a bit too easy
GH2 - If only TooL made it into the game...here's hoping for the definitive version on the 360
FF12 - If i had put more time into this, maybe it would be higher

Oblivion, definitely, although I am loath to agree with spike tv. That aside, it really is one of the best video games ever made and, without question, the best of the year. There just aren't many experiences out there that even come close to what this game can do.

Edit: Just some quick comments- NCAA 2007 was a really good game. Maybe the best sports game of the year, if not NHL 2007. I love Marvel: Ultimate Alliance, but it's not exactly GOTY material, but to each his own I suppose. GoW shouldn't be game of the year simply because it has severe graphical problems on standard ratio LCDs over VGA cables that they are aware of, HAVE a fix for, and for some reason are not putting live. Also the extremely large number of MP issues. And KH, as a concept, much less as a game, completely blows. It is one of the worst, if not the worst, game to ever have Square's name on it. Ok, I suppose X-Squad is worse, but not by much. I just don't understand how any FF fan can not be made ill by the mere existance of those games. And Sora is very likely the biggest tool in the history of gaming. And I don't want the death of J-RPGs, I just want them to be good again. Enchanted Arms wasn't bad, but come on, it's got to get better than that. Maybe Lost Oddessey will live up to the hype.

Beyond Good and Evil. There will never be another game like this game that has touched me as BG&E.

The only other game that I could think of is Mystical Ninja which is really a great repeitive title.

Then the Runner Up should be "Sin and Punishment" which is really fun to just play over and over again with each difficulty giving you a slightly diffrent exprience and you can play with the controller reversed or two at once I think.

Unless the game is repetitive and fun then I would say that game has a chance.

Zelda is too much work

Oblivion is a joke.

Gear of War blah blah the same old thing and would be no diffrent in 2d

New Super Mario Bros is to boring in terms of Mario being unoriginal

RE4 is too one tracked and even while the game is challenging and fun I have found alot of A.I. faulties like the Roach that can't duck or the Granada monk that can't see you ewven if you see them.

Bully personally being a Rockstar game and the fact this is in the GTA class is up there however in terms of originalism this game falls into the delema where you are doing one task after another. Personally This game would and probably will be online with Hot Coffie mod that will make it wantable even more.

Guitar Hero series is meh seeing how it is unfair to just have the guitar.

Saint Row is a joke. I mean come on the game is nothing but violence which I know is not worth it. The game also looks like a PS2 game but super duper PC revamped.

ffxii is too much work and I am tired of scenery and fmv crap.

Personally I am tired of the realistic crap along with the luvy dovey romance.

BG&E was short but sweet like a everlasting fruit rollup. You can paly it over and over again and again and never get tired nore never care.

Then Mystical Ninja was just one big fun fest with mini games in between the robot DBZ action.

Sin and Punishment is what SEGA ripped off when they did the Robo Riders with Tails and Robotnik. I have never seen a nice game that had infinintive possibilties.

Regalsin, me thinks you missed the "Game of the Year" topic, not what's your favorite game compared to games that came out this year. :)

Right now I would have to say it is between Gears and Twilight Princess. Both are very addictive and great overall titles.

Here's my Top 10 of the Year (in order):
1. Hitman: Blood Money (360)
2. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas (360)
3. Saints Row (360)
4. Tom Clancys Splinter Cell: Double Agent (XB)
5. Tomb Raider Legend (360)
6. Tom Clancys Splinter Cell: Double Agent (360)
7. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories (PSP)
8. Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2)
9. Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror (PSP)
10. Scarface: The World is Yours (XB)

[quote name='whoknows']Can't think of too many games I truly loved this year, so my vote will have to go to...

Metal Gear Acid 2
[/QUOTE]

You're not alone... same here.

Though I will say Dead Rising was enjoyed almost equally for freshening up a genre that had yet to exist.

I'm going to have to say Oblivion as well. I really hated Morrowind, and was not expecting to like Oblivion at all. I played it though, and now it's all I ever want to play. The game just sucks you in, and with so much content you get your money's worth.

Second place goes to Tales of the Abyss. Another great entry in this series. In a big RPG year for the PS2 this one really stood above the rest.

Honorable mention:

Suikoden 5
Elite Beat Agents
Gears of War
Okami
Samurai Warriors 2

This will sound bizarre, but what Game of the Year SHOULD be is very clear: Wii Sports. Yes, it's a simple game with the most basic of graphics. It does not matter. I've seen people that have zero - ZERO - interest in games that are willing to buy a system after playing it.

All the other stuff, GOW, Zelda, whatever...they're all great for gamers. But they ARE for gamers. Wii Sports targets a totally different audience and has them enthralled.

That's your game of the year.

RD

[quote name='MSI Magus']To each his own. I wouldnt say Oblivion is a AAA game let alone game of the year material. The games "huge world" is largly empty. You can wander the country side not finding anything to fight for quite some time. The game was released with bugs and its also just borked in combat in general having far too many enemies do far to mcuh or little damage. The last 2 elder scroll games have done amazing as far as NPCs and interaction with them goes....but they have a long way to go in improving dungeons, monsters and items.[/QUOTE]
comment on what you think the game of the year is, not why you dont think this game is game of the year read the OP please

Yeah I'd say Wii Sports. The game is every bit the killer-app that Gear of War is. Now when people buy their Wii consoles, they're all looking for forward to playing Wii Sports. I garner that if Nintendo had not packed in Wii Sports in the USA, the Wii would probably have been half as successful.

~ahmed!~

bread's done
Back