What's your "Game of the Year?"

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']
Samurai Warriors 2[/QUOTE]

Seriously?

Why?

As someone who got burned out the repetitive hack and slash of DW (and I hated the castle levels in SW 1) does Samurai Warriors 2 do something so different that it made your list with a ton of other (very awesome) games?

Kind of curious to see if I didn't miss out on something really good.

It would be Twilight Princess, since Ocarina of Time is my favorite game of all-time, and I've already pre-determined that this game is probably going to surpass that ten fold. But, since I can't find a Wii:

Okami

It seems like this game is getting lost in the end of the year shuffle, and that's a shame as it's one of the most beautiful and and wondrous games I've ever played. One of my favorite games of all-time, easily. It feels like the adventure-RPG Nintendo never made. :)

And for the fun of it, the runners-up:

2) Winning Eleven 9
3) New Super Mario Bros.

[quote name='tototheexplorer']It would be Twilight Princess, since Ocarina of Time is my favorite game of all-time, and I've already pre-determined that this game is probably going to surpass that ten fold. But, since I can't find a Wii:

Okami
[/QUOTE]

Why do you need to find a Wii? Buy the GC one.

[quote name='PenguinMaster']Why do you need to find a Wii? Buy the GC one.[/quote]
I had the GC ver. pre-ordered for two years (all the ink wore off of my pre-order ticket), and switched it over to the Wii ver. once that option was available. Didn't pre-order a Wii because, you know, "Nintendo is shipping 4 million and they'll be everywhere". So, it's just sitting on my shelf. I'm busy, it can wait. :) (note: still really tortuous; sometimes I pick it up and smell it or hold it to my chest and/or privates).

[quote name='Roufuss']Seriously?

Why?

As someone who got burned out the repetitive hack and slash of DW (and I hated the castle levels in SW 1) does Samurai Warriors 2 do something so different that it made your list with a ton of other (very awesome) games?

Kind of curious to see if I didn't miss out on something really good.[/QUOTE]
If you don't like those type of games, then you won't like this one. It doesn't do anything new that non-hardcore fans would notice (changing the combo system, adding special moves, no more castle levels, etc.). But I love all the DW and SW games, and games like them (Ninety-Nine Nights). And I play them all the time. Since I probably played SW2 more than any other game this year I felt it deserved an honorable mention.

I even just acquired it for the 360 just to get achievements now. Even though I own and have unlocked everything in the PS2 version.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']If you don't like those type of games, then you won't like this one. It doesn't do anything new that non-hardcore fans would notice (changing the combo system, adding special moves, no more castle levels, etc.). But I love all the DW and SW games, and games like them (Ninety-Nine Nights). And I play them all the time. Since I probably played SW2 more than any other game this year I felt it deserved an honorable mention.

I even just acquired it for the 360 just to get achievements now. Even though I own and have unlocked everything in the PS2 version.[/QUOTE]

You think it adds enough back in to get someone who hasn't played a DW game in ages to come back?

The only reason I got burnt out in DW, it wasn't the action, it was the same levels , the same characters, and the same stories over and over again.

Samurai Warriors had some cool ideas to the battle (I remember there was like... a list of all the events you could trigger and stuff) but those castle levels ruined it for me.

Now that it's $29.99 at EB / GS, I might have to look into it, since it seems to have added enough stuff and it's still a new franchise.

You think it adds enough back in to get someone who hasn't played a DW game in ages to come back?

The only reason I got burnt out in DW, it wasn't the action, it was the same levels , the same characters, and the same stories over and over again.

Samurai Warriors had some cool ideas to the battle (I remember there was like... a list of all the events you could trigger and stuff) but those castle levels ruined it for me.

Now that it's $29.99 at EB / GS, I might have to look into it, since it seems to have added enough stuff and it's still a new franchise.
IMO, you should check it out. Especially if you like the games, but just got sick of the ancient China setting of DW. And then was turned off by the atrocious castle levels of the first game. I didn't even like the first SW until they released SWXL, which basically fixed all the horrid parts of the game. The annoying castles, the enemies that leveled with you, the shared musou bar in co-op, level cap. SW2 incorporateds all those changes from the start. Along with some new things that really make it more fun than any of the Warriors games before it.

Combos are much longer now. Some characters like Ginchiyo getting up to a C9, and others like Tadakatsu getting double charges. Special moves have been added that do things like call for reinforcements, increase your damage for a short time, or shoot projectiles. Instead of equipping items you can now learn or buy skills at the shop, which level up. There are castle levels, but they're completely different. They're now seamlessly put into a stage, rather than being their own stages.

The game isn't a new direction for the series or anything. It's just taken what people loved about the games, and refined it. If you liked the games before, but just got sick of them then I say give this one a shot. If you never liked the games, this one won't change your mind.

Even though I've only played a few hours of it, I just can't help but call Twilight Princess my GotY. The game is just so finely crafted... and with OoT being my all time favorite game, this game looks to out do even that.

Okami and Gears of War are my runners up. Definitely a good year with 3 excellent titles.

Oblivion.

But GoW is creeping up on it.
I've put probably 50+ hours into GOW already and if this keeps up I'll be going for the "Seriously..." achivement and that would surpass 100 hours easily.

Oblivion is a good 170 hours + put into it by me and my Wife. No Single Player game has ever achived that with me before.

So far for me
  1. Guitar Hero 2
  2. Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
  3. Elite Beat Agents
  4. DDR supernova
but then again I haven't had a chance to play dead rising or oblivion or twilight princess.

World of Warcraft :p I had the most fun playing that game more than any other game I played this year, including Zelda. Although the game sucks right now :( It'll be awesome again in January, I hope.

Gears of War

Played through the campaign about 4x...amazingly fun each time through.

Also the online is amazing...even though it has some glaring problems.

Oblivion deeply disappointed me, It is a popular candidate for peoples favorite game this year, and indeed I was in awe at the graphics for the first few hours of playing but the game just seems really shallow to me. it's impossible for me to want to play it again. I was a huge fan of morrowind though.

so far I would probably say, zelda on the wii, but i might change my mind :)

Id say zelda, judging by first impressions. Ive played alittle of gears, oblivion, okami etc, but haven't finished any of them yet.

For me it is Zelda TP for the Wii

Runners Up...
1. Wii Sports
2. Yoshi's Island DS (this could change, just got the game).
3. Socom Combind Assult (the online portion of it only).

Personally I didn't care for New Super Mario Brothers that much, it was a great game, but it just didn't have enough spark to it. It felt too retro to me and I wished they went more mario 3 with the game as of items and stuff.

I haven't played alot of the other games mentioned here. I've yet to get a Wii or 360, so I can't vote for any of those games. Oblivion was really good, but too mainstream'd down from Morrowind and what I expected to make my GOTY.

On PS2 I still want to get Bully and Okami and a few others, so by default I'll say FFXII, which I'm still having alot of fun with.

That'll change I'm sure once I get a Wii and TP.

Wii Sports for sure. It brought me the most fun memories this year and I love to just pop it in and run through a quick 3 holes to relax.

I thought Twilight Princess was great but not excellent. The pacing was kind of odd, the story was lukewarm and something about the game overall just didn't feel 'Zelda' to me. Maybe I'm just so used to Miyamato's guiding hand in the games that it felt weird.

Runners up go to Rocket Slime and Cooking Mama. Both were addictive as hell and gave me that feeling of 'new' when I played them. So great.

Elite Beat Agents. Some other favorites of mine were Wii Sports, Rocket Slime, Viva Pinata, Uno, Zelda, Gitaroo Man Lives, Rhythm Tengoku, Castlevania: PoR, and Clubhouse Games... to name a few :lol: Elebits is cool too, but I've only played it for like an hour so far.

I've bought a lot of games this year, and I can hands down say that Gears of War is my favorite game of the year.

I *hate* Halo, I could never get into it. The only other console shooter I've ever really gotten into was Timespliters: Future Perfect (because of the art style and the humor), but I can't put down Gears. It's an entirely new FPS experience that's drawn me back int othe genre.

[quote name='cochesecochese']I thought Twilight Princess was great but not excellent. The pacing was kind of odd, the story was lukewarm and something about the game overall just didn't feel 'Zelda' to me. Maybe I'm just so used to Miyamato's guiding hand in the games that it felt weird.[/quote]
I'll second that opinion. My pick is Final Fantasy XII or New Super Mario Bros.

[quote name='Metal Boss']Oblivion deeply disappointed me, It is a popular candidate for peoples favorite game this year, and indeed I was in awe at the graphics for the first few hours of playing but the game just seems really shallow to me.[/quote]

I can understand not liking the game, but how could you possibly call Oblivion shallow? ;)

bread's done
Back