When are you not a cheapass?

VideoGamesIzFun

CAGiversary!
Feedback
102 (100%)
Hey CAG. I was wondering what things in life are you not a cheapass about?

I'll start it off, I am not a cheapass when it comes to buying liqour. Cheap liqour is the worst stuff ever taste like shit, gives you terrible hang overs and often induces vomiting. I work at liqour store and cringe everytime someone orders a pint of popov. Beer on the otherhand I am usually a cheapass about I like Natty Bo (local beer National Bohemian) and Bud Ice but will order nice beers at the bar. Unless they have a cheapass special for the night :bouncy:

Recently, it's been for headsets. I've had one too many headsets that I've cheaped out on and they die in a day. ...And then I do it again.

Hopefully this Razer Carcharias will hold out.

HDMI cables are a toughie for me. Bought an $80 Monster cable, which is nice, and then learned that the 2 $2 HDMI cables that I bought from Amazon weren't so nice. I've heard that the expensive cables can be the exact same quality as the cheapos, so maybe I just didn't get lucky. Might start going for the higher-priced ones now.

When it comes to going to WWE events I always get ringside (or the best available). I don't see the point in going if you don't pay to have good seats.

Pretty much everything. While I'm not opposed to saving money when I can, the main reason I joined CAG is because it seemed more civilized than GameFAQs. If I want something, I'll get it. I've never been one of those "I refuse to buy X unless it's $X or less" people.

i say the worst time to be a cheapass is if youre getting a hooker or a stripper. you definelty get what you pay for there.

[quote name='lokizz']i say the worst time to be a cheapass is if youre getting a hooker or a stripper. you definelty get what you pay for there.[/QUOTE]

That's what I was gonna say. :lol:

[quote name='GuilewasNK']When it comes to going to WWE events I always get ringside (or the best available). I don't see the point in going if you don't pay to have good seats.[/QUOTE]

Same here, for sure.

And while I have bought a lot of games on the cheap, I pay full price for at least 1/3 of my 360 and PS3 games. I usually wait on single player games to drop, but when it's something I want to play online, I've got to have it day 1.

I guess that's really about it.

For me, the only things I really buy are video games and food / soda. Of course, at the same time, don't really need to spend my money on much else. Probably the only things I'm not "cheap" on are accessories sometimes, and when I need a new computer.

[quote name='AlphaPanda']Recently, it's been for headsets. I've had one too many headsets that I've cheaped out on and they die in a day. ...And then I do it again.

Hopefully this Razer Carcharias will hold out.

HDMI cables are a toughie for me. Bought an $80 Monster cable, which is nice, and then learned that the 2 $2 HDMI cables that I bought from Amazon weren't so nice. I've heard that the expensive cables can be the exact same quality as the cheapos, so maybe I just didn't get lucky. Might start going for the higher-priced ones now.[/QUOTE]

First one is absolute truth, second one is not. I think at $2 you may be pushing it but a $10 HDMI cable works fine.

Chyes, 10$ is all you need for good HDMI s.
I usually go overboard when buying records, but even then... They're all cheap.
hmm.. SNEAKERS, there we go. Had to think hard about this. I spent atleast a thousand in 09 easily.

I am not a cheapass when it comes to videogames and maybe clothes. I tend to pay full-price for a game series (like Final Fantasy) or games I really like.

[quote name='Meremare']I am not a cheapass when it comes to videogames.[/QUOTE]

Umm, what are you doing here then?

[quote name='lmz00']Pretty much everything. While I'm not opposed to saving money when I can, the main reason I joined CAG is because it seemed more civilized than GameFAQs. If I want something, I'll get it. I've never been one of those "I refuse to buy X unless it's $X or less" people.[/QUOTE]

This. If it's something I really want, be it games or whatever, I'll pay full price for it.

Alcohol in general, whether it is beer or tequila or anything else. I refuse to buy cheap crap. I get called a beer snob and just a stuck up bastard but I have my standards when it comes to drinking.

I try to strike a balance between price and quality, so if something really cheap will do what I need it to reliably, I'll go for that. I wouldn't call that being cheapass though. Very rarely will I buy anything at full price, I'll wait for a deal of some sort, but again, I wouldn't call that being cheapass.

I would wager most people are like this.

Appliances and big house purchases. If I'm going to have to spend hundreds or thousands on something, it might as well be something that is going to do the job and last a long time.

While I'm not adverse to getting deals whenever a new RPG I want comes out I won't have the patience to wait for a drop.

(local beer National Bohemian) you must be in baltimore =P

i am different though, i like budwiser, and dont really like natty, but i do drink it quite often. main reason is i drink a 12 pack of bud and feel great, drink a 12 pack of natty and dont feel nearly as good, and wind up either drinking more, or drinking something else. . but i always buy cheap ass vodka... pop pov? shiiiiiit thats the good stuff :) lol lets see some black watch for cheap asses like myself. i have always drank cheap vodka, because of that, the taste does not bother me, and it does not give me havgover's. been drinking it since i was 14 or 15 lol. (21 now, so 6-7 years) plus, useually when i buy liquor, i buy a half gallon and drink just under half of it, so half of $10 is much better then lets say almost $20 for a 1/5 or a liter of some svedka or something (although i love svedka, its a very rare treat lol)

^ That cheap stuff will turn you into an alcoholic. Save your money, buy the premium stuff. Learn to treat yourself, not kill your liver.

[quote name='Rodimus']^ That cheap stuff will turn you into an alcoholic. Save your money, buy the premium stuff. Learn to treat yourself, not kill your liver.[/QUOTE]

lol, i only drink liquor maybe once a month, useually less. unless i go to baltimore, then i drink more. any alcohol will turn you into an alcoholic if you let it, its not just the cheap stuff.

[quote name='crzyjoeguy']lol, i only drink liquor maybe once a month, useually less. unless i go to baltimore, then i drink more. any alcohol will turn you into an alcoholic if you let it, its not just the cheap stuff.[/QUOTE]

You guessed it. Natty Bo is not usually my first choice but for $6 a 12 pack (thats the price of 1 beer at the bar). I like Bud myself but with Bud Ices new price drop I am a cheapass all day (something like $15 a 30 pack). I am different then most people as I drink liqour like people drink beer and a couple beers gets me tipsy. Anyways you like vodka get Pinnacle, it's made by Grey Goose and I wouldn't be suprised if it was Grey Goose in a different container. It's $20 for a handle and trust me go treat yourself.

I'm not a cheapass when it comes to the bare necessities such as my pipes and bongs, you never want a crappy one of them.

[quote name='VideoGamesIzFun']You guessed it. Natty Bo is not usually my first choice but for $6 a 12 pack (thats the price of 1 beer at the bar). I like Bud myself but with Bud Ices new price drop I am a cheapass all day (something like $15 a 30 pack). I am different then most people as I drink liqour like people drink beer and a couple beers gets me tipsy. Anyways you like vodka get Pinnacle, it's made by Grey Goose and I wouldn't be suprised if it was Grey Goose in a different container. It's $20 for a handle and trust me go treat yourself.[/QUOTE]

yeah ive had pinnacle before, one of my friends bought a bottle about a month and a half ago while i was in baltimore. but normally i buy cheap stuff, if i am buying better stuff, i tend to buy svedka, i dont know i just like the way it taste. if i dont buy svedka when im buying something good, ill buy something random that i havnt had before, or havnt had in a long time. nothing like some 151 every once in a while lol. last time i bought a good bottle, (a few months back) i went to the store, and they had some OC (ocean city branded) vodka, $19.99 for a 1/5 or liter, i cant remember. got that, and it was pretty good, but nothing great imo. but it was a new kind so i decided to try it. id say it was comparable to skyy vodka. but i very rarely buy good stuff, before that bottle, the last GOOD thing i bought was last may on my birthday, got some bacardi 151 (taste like shit but damn it will get you fucked up lol) then after that was gone went back and got some cheap white marlin rum.

[quote name='clowncreep69']I'm not a cheapass when it comes to the bare necessities such as my pipes and bongs, you never want a crappy one of them.[/QUOTE]
Don't forget grinders. You don't want cheap teeth breaking off and smoking metal shavings in your tobacco.
Got two titanium alloy ones, one is for personal use, and the other one is HUGE and for special occasions or large amounts of tobacco. Tobacco.

For you drinkers, I quit last year. But I dare you to drink Caldwell's Rum. Talk about sewage water.

[quote name='clowncreep69']I'm not a cheapass when it comes to the bare necessities such as my pipes and bongs, you never want a crappy one of them.[/QUOTE]

no, why buy something that will break, buy something that will last. save money in the long run.

edit: oh and its a water pipe... not a bong. you know i actually got kicked out of a shop for calling it a bong. assholes lol

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='lmz00']pretty much everything. While i'm not opposed to saving money when i can, the main reason i joined cag is because it seemed more civilized than gamefaqs. If i want something, i'll get it. I've never been one of those "i refuse to buy x unless it's $x or less" people.[/quote]

+1

[quote name='TheCapn010']Don't forget grinders. You don't want cheap teeth breaking off and smoking metal shavings in your tobacco.
Got two titanium alloy ones, one is for personal use, and the other one is HUGE and for special occasions or large amounts of tobacco. Tobacco.

For you drinkers, I quit last year. But I dare you to drink Caldwell's Rum. Talk about sewage water.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, titanium alloy teeth grinders for the win! I try to buy everything on sale but "water pipes" rarely go on sale (vaporizers are really where you drop the large change though). Concert tickets are another example of where you really can't go cheap (unless it's the different between being four rows from the front and the nosebleed at a non-GA venue). Condoms is another area where you shouldn't go cheap since it's for your well-being.

Dates & Condoms.

Those are the only two things you need to spend money on upper-class essentials.

Beer? fuck that, bitches don't know the difference between Coors Light/Miller Lite and Stella Artois.

Food? McDonald's value meal.

I'm not much of a cheapass in general--just was by necessity through college and grad school when money was super tight.

I'm still a cheap ass with games I guess, since I get most off Goozex--but that's just mainly from having less free time and less interest in spending it on gaming.

I'm a bit of a cheap ass with Blu Rays and DVDs--but that's again a time thing. I realized I was hardly watching anything but my Netflix rentals, so I cut back my buying.

But other wise, I love good beer and drink only microbrews and imports for the most part. Love good food and eat out a couple times a week with the girlfriend at reasonably nice restaurants ($50-$100 or so), and generally don't worry about pinching every penny etc., so I'm really not a cheap ass at all anymore. I make an ok salary, have no huge expenses, have a good retirement account (5% of my salary, 9.25% employer contribution) don't want kids etc. so I can afford to buy stuff when I want it--within my budget of course as I'm by no means rich.

[quote name='lmz00']Perhaps he just likes the "community?"[/QUOTE]

Yep, that's why I'm still around. Best place to discuss games on the net I've found, good off topic forum here etc. I seldom read the deals forums anymore.

I am NOT a cheapass when it comes to Paintball . I wouldnt buy a $15-20 bucket of 2000 paintballs that shoot like complete shit and go everywhere. I go ahead and spend $55 and get 1000 paintballs because they shoot a lot straighter and faster. But other paintball I cant really think of anything else......well the more you spend for pot the better :D I say spend spend an extra few $$ and stay high a little longer

Food. Well I don't go overboard and shop at Whole Foods but I do spend $$ for quality food. Usually fruits and veggies.

Also, I don't go to fast food joints. I prefer to spend money at better places.

My internet. That is truely a "get what you pay for" service.

I was going to say alcohol like everyone else, until I looked in my recycling bin and saw a King Cobra 40 nestled in there. I don't think I can say quality over quantity anymore. Truely a broke college student's weekend welcome drink.

[quote name='TheCapn010']Chyes, 10$ is all you need for good HDMI s.
I usually go overboard when buying records, but even then... They're all cheap.
hmm.. SNEAKERS, there we go. Had to think hard about this. I spent atleast a thousand in 09 easily.[/QUOTE]

Wow... Sneakers? I can get a $30 pair of shoes and a $30 pair of workboots and I'm set for the year. Come to think of it, Paul Walker was wearing my shoes in Fast & Furious which came out over a year ago... Christ, I might have damn near 2 years on this pair of shoes.

I don't cheap out with alcohol, liquor in particular. The cheap stuff tastes like crap in anything except a heavily mixed sweetened drink. Gin and tonics are probably my favorite, and I like them to be gin heavy, so I get Bombay Sapphire for them. It's not too expensive and it's definitely worth the $28 or so for a fifth.

Quality is key. I have ten year old RL polos. Also car service. Only buy premium gas for the Rover and Acura. Fightsticks, investments, anything related to home repair. Typically I don't splurge on dining out, my fam actually plans our meals for 2 weeks and my wife cooks healthy which is expensive but acceptable if budgeted. Shoes, only drink imported beers, POM juice, Apple products, eco outerwear and Sam FIsheresque Osprey packs... I fly cheap but tend to spend a lil more on vacation. Also HD cable, highspeed internet, cell phone dataplan... I know too many people with flatscreens w/o HD signals what gives?

But, I DO friend musicians, merch girls (and formally strippers) so I never pay a cover, pack microwave lunches, skip most meals, subscribe to the cheapest streaming Netflix package, read the wallstreet j left in the cafe, clip coupons, pricematch everything from the dog's flea meds to toilet paper, carpool/avoid driving alone/one destination trips, never bought a girl a drink when I was single, never buy a car less than three years old, never keep a car with over 75K miles, charge anything without 0% interest promo, or have a land line. Oh and over 10% goes to church and charity.

clothes mostly. I can't stand the stuff they sell at walmart or whatever. Can't wait till I go back to HK again.. shopping heaven! In some malls there are only designer stores haha. But I don't like spending tooo much on clothes.

Hmmm.. I buy lots of new games, and I go out to eat alot for lunch.

I go here because it's one of the biggest forums on the Internet, and NeoGAF is too restrictive and banned me.

im cheap on media, like games, dvds, etc.

Not cheap on headphones & electronics. I try to get deals on quality products. Just picked up a pair of ATH-M50 headphones..and being cheap looking to build my own headphone stand. Just need a nice design.

Not cheap on food. I cook alot at home, so when I do go out to eat, McDonald's ain't gonna cut it.

Not cheap on high speed internet access (who needs cable when you have this?).

As for media, games, dvds, entertainment items...I wouldn't necessarily call myself completely cheap. More like patient. If there is a movie or a game I want REALLY badly, I will probably buy it new. ("Really badly" meaning I want to play it immediately and not put it in my backlog).

probably my tv/internet/cell phone. i pay quite a bit each month for those. everything else i have varying levels of cheapness whether its food, booze, clothes, video games etc.

bread's done
Back