When did Amazon start getting so crappy?

Haggar

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I used to love Amazon, but lately they've really been slipping. I used to get most of my packages within 2-4 days (even using free shipping) but now everything takes much longer, I have to fight for my advertised promotions, and the service has dropped too.

I'm currently waiting on a package with 2 games and 2 blu rays. Amazon shipped it 13 days ago. I contacted them to see where it was because the USPS tracking number didn't work, USPS says the package doesn't exist. So Amazon says they gave it to FedEx to drop off at the post office and USPS will make the final delivery. They asked me to wait another 6 days (19 days after it shipped) to consider it lost.

And the last 3 promotions ($5-$10 credit for pre-ordering games) I had to keep emailing them to get the credit. They used to just automatically email me the credit code.

There's more, but I don't want to have a bitch-fest right now. Anyone else experience a dip in Amazon's service recently?

No, I've had nothing but positive experiences with Amazon.
Granted they changed the 30 day price drop guarantee last year which sucked, but I've never had a single problem with an order I have placed with them.
I'm a Prime member, though, so that may make a difference.
With the amount of purchases I make and money I save through Amazon with discounts and ECA, Prime membership is well worth the yearly fee.

Also, the game pre-order credit has always just been applied to my account, I've never needed to input a code. After I get an email stating the credit has been applied, the next time I add a game to my cart the discount is automatically applied.

[quote name='xycury']I have Prime too, and it's been perfect. The only problem I had was a packaging issue.[/QUOTE]

I hate how they package DVD/Blu Rays. Mine have come all crushed before.

It's also getting close to the holiday shopping season and I'm sure that their orders quantities have gone up. This happened last year too where my orders started taking longer to be processed and delivered in October/November. Then I bought Prime and haven't looked back. You can share the benefit between 3 people I think which helps lower the cost if you split it between the group.

I've never had any problems with them. Yeah the free shipping is sometimes slow. But I don't use it if I need something fast. I don't order enough to need Prime, and I generally don't care how long something I order online takes to get to me as I would have bought it locally if I needed it ASAP.

[quote name='munch']I hate how they package DVD/Blu Rays. Mine have come all crushed before.[/QUOTE]

How were they packed? In that thing cardboard wraparound?

[quote name='dmaul1114']I've never had any problems with them. Yeah the free shipping is sometimes slow. But I don't use it if I need something fast. I don't order enough to need Prime, and I generally don't care how long something I order online takes to get to me as I would have bought it locally if I needed it ASAP.[/QUOTE]

Amazon has by far the best prices on the new release videogames and manga I get (no Fry's near me for the former). That alone makes Prime worth it; it kind of pays for itself in the long run.

I've had zero problems with them and spend thousands each year there. Been a customer for a very long time and that likely won't change in the future as long as they keep providing the excellent deals.

OP, my last order from Amazon took much longer than usual to ship. Although, I did ordered some electronics as opposed to my usual DVDs and such, so I believe it came from a different warehouse further away.

I basically just chalked it up to it being shipped USPS from across the country and whatever truck was shipping it between states probably had to make numerous more stops across the country before getting here.

My tracking number also didn't work at all for USPS. But everything shipped within the Super Saver Shipping date range, so I have no room to complain.

I've never had anything take that long to arrive from amazon, even with the free shipping. Probably more of an issue with the shipping company.

I have Prime and I've had multiple issues with them in the last 30-45 days.

For starters, they've shipped multiple orders without packing lists in the box. :whistle2:s How hard is it to stuff a packing list in the box?

I've had 4-5 issues with crappy packaging with items damaged in shipment. Most of these issues were single DVD-sized cases being dropped into a hugely oversized bubble mailer and the item was crushed, the case was broken or the disc popped off the holder and was scratched up in shipment.

They've cut back on the amount of airpack they've been putting in their boxes when they ship them out, which has caused a couple of damaged items packed in boxes.

Related to this:
http://consumerist.com/5386339/ups-ipod-touch-delivered-in-box-looks-like-hippo-sat-on
http://consumerist.com/5387500/amazon-makes-up-for-upss-flattened-package-mishap-with-10-credit

I didn't realize they had switched to FedEx SmartPost for Super Saver Shipping, which makes media mail look quick in comparison. One more reason to renew Prime when it comes due in December.

Their customer service has been so flakey in their follow-through on reading emailed customer service issues, as I've had the same request sent to them twice in email, first time they ignored the request, second time, they took care of the issue. Not the first time it's happened.

I think that they need to re-invest some profits into getting their CS reps better understanding customer service, and send their packaging reps back to school as well.

[quote name='shrike4242']Most of these issues were single DVD-sized cases being dropped into a hugely oversized bubble mailer and the item was crushed, the case was broken or the disc popped off the holder and was scratched up in shipment.[/QUOTE]
Ha, you actually get bubble mailers? My games have been coming in shipping envelopes! Talk about cheap solutions and this was during my prime trial, so there's really no excuse for the poor packaging. But yeah, if you don't have prime, stuff always takes them over a week to ship and deliver despite being a two month early pre-order or not.

Still, you can't beat the prices and CS. Those are top notch.

I dunno. If it weren't for the ECA codes the start of the game release period in Sept. wouldn't have been that good so I guess I don't have much of a comment to give. Packaging is hit or miss, although I don't think anything has been broken... yet.

[quote name='Jodou']Ha, you actually get bubble mailers? My games have been coming in shipping envelopes! Talk about cheap solutions and this was during my prime trial, so there's really no excuse for the poor packaging. But yeah, if you don't have prime, stuff always takes them over a week to ship and deliver despite being a two month early pre-order or not.

Still, you can't beat the prices and CS. Those are top notch.[/QUOTE]I did have the vacuum-sealed cardboard mailing envelope for Borderlands. Destroyed the case in shipment. The replacement was in a bubble mailer. Both of them were much too big for the item they were containing.

I'd been filing packaging feedbacks on all my packages since I found out about it, and apparently they limit the number of times you can fill them out in a 60 day period. :lol:

Far, far more often than not, their prices are top-notch and their CS is top-notch. Recently, the CS and shipping has slipped a bit from wha tI've been getting.

[quote name='munch']I hate how they package DVD/Blu Rays. Mine have come all crushed before.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='manthing']How were they packed? In that thing cardboard wraparound?[/QUOTE]

Yes, Amazon has poor decision making when they box certain dvds.

My Futurama movie set was crushed twice.

They do have a "Report Packaging Issues" link to your orders so that the Warehouse can fix the issue.

I ordered a TV show season on DVD and the package came opened with no discs, but they promptly shipped out a replacement next day air and refunded the shipping cost to send the bad one back.

Still though, they're so much better than everyone else out there that it's hard for me to complain.

EDIT: Benjamin Button on Blu-ray did come with the outer slip cover a bit crushed, but again, they shipped out a replacement next day air and refunded my shipping costs. A bit of a pain.

I've been having more and more problems with Amazon too, same as the OP.

I use FSSS so I can't really complain but their shipping times have gotten much worse. They used to take about 3-4 days but now take roughly a week from when I receive my shipping confirmation. Also, their packing quality went down the drain. They used to be the best but the last 3 packages I've received have all come damaged in some way.

Also, the gift certificates/online bonuses are pretty hit/miss. I'm 2/7 this year so I've had to email them to get them.

With all that said Amazon is still significantly better than any other online or B&M retailer. Any issue I've had, they've taken care of and at times, they gone beyond their policies to make sure everything is to my satisfaction.

EDIT* I guess I'm not the only one but I too hate when they ship items using that big ass cardboard mailer. It doesn't protect items at all and since it doesn't fit in the mailbox, the mailman leaves it by our door (which I don't mint) but if it's raining, the package soaks up rain water like crazy and anything inside gets wet. They could at least use a damn bubble mailer...

All I can say is my Demon's Souls DE had better come in pristine condition since I'm only buying it for collector's value.

My FSSS orders have always taken about a week to get to me.

I've never had any damaged packages. It seems I usually get a cardboard case when I order games/DVD's (not one of those vacuum sealed things).

With Prime, I have received all my orders at the appropriate arrival time. No issues from me!

It really depend on which wherehouse you are getting it from. You could be getting your game in a box, a bubble mailer, or the crappy cardbord

It's not seasonal because I noticed a slowdown a month or two ago. I sometimes jump on one of their daily deals and instead of a couple days it'll take over a week to arrive.

Prime? No, I'm not paying twice for shipping so this isn't worth it. I also don't trust ECA because I don't know what it is, why I have to sign up, or why they quit sending codes (or so I hear). The free shipping used to be reasonable and now it takes too long. I just buy less until they fix it.

I have had 1 crushed movie when they did the padded envelope trial that failed when you order a movie (btw it was ghostbuster on blu-ray). It was a $10 so I just replaced the case since the disc was ok.

My current problem is with a trade-in that was delivered to them on the 15th and I still dont have credit. I talked to 2 different CS reps and both had no idea what the trade-in program was and could not help besides to say its pending. Then I get emails form them after the call saying its not received even though I got an email form amazon saying otherwise (not to mention the tracking info). I was told to wait 10 days form the date it was received and then call back if nothing comes up. So now I have to make another call to the CS reps and tell them the whole situation again.

CS use to be great but now it seems like they dont even train them on the products or read the emails that you send them. Atleast most of the time I get someone who can speak english, thats more than I can say about other companies.

I agree OP, it has been taking at least a week and a half to receive the items I order. Their packaging has slipped too. I ordered a new 32gb Ipod Touch, it took them a week before it shipped, and then the box came empty because of a terrible tape job on the bottom (the tape didnt completely cover the bottom... so it could have easily fallen out, that or it wasnt in there, because there was no packing slip either). So they sent me another one, and after waiting another week I finally got it (this past monday)...

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Amazon has by far the best prices on the new release videogames and manga I get (no Fry's near me for the former). That alone makes Prime worth it; it kind of pays for itself in the long run.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I pretty much only get games from Goozex (barely play anymore) and don't order stuff from Amazon all that often just once every month or two I'll order something. Not counting Kindle books which I get more often, but of course don't involve shipping. :D

But yeah, Prime is definitely worth it for people who order a ton.

I've used Amazon for a while now for all my gaming needs and have had no problems until recently.

Long story inc:
I ordered an Xbox Live Gold Card 12 month + 1 when I saw they were in stock and being sold by Amazon on Sept. 26. My brother also needed a subscription so I purchase the regular Xbox Live 12 month Card on Sept. 29 because the extra month card only allowed 1 per customer. That was fine. So after the expected shipping time came and went for the 12+1 card I received an email that it was being delayed but it included a new expected shipping date. Well that came and still no shipping email. So I emailed them asking what's up with my order. They told me they were sorry and the order was being delayed again and that they would update my shipping to two day shipping at no charge. Well after I ordered these cards I added a $10 giftcard to my balance. I looked at my Amazon account and was randomly charged an extra $7.98 from my balance on the 12+1 card. I can only guess that was a charge for the 2 day shipping I was told would be free because of the delays. I emailed them again and got some canned response about gift cards. I call them because I'm sick of sending emails and not getting answers to my questions. I am on the phone with a rep and they have no idea where the $7.98 charge came from, so I'm told that I would be sent a code with that balance. I ended up just canceling the extra month after the 3rd delay and ordered another reg 12 month card which arrived after 2 days after I placed the order! Oh yea after I canceled I got the $7.98 credit back into my balance. What a confusing mess my order was. All that shit for an extra month wtf???????

May sound confusing & I could probably include exact dates of the dalays and crap but I'm getting a headache thinking about it again sorry.

Summary: If you order an Xbox Live Sub 12+1 card and it is delayed just cancel right away and order the reg 12 month one. My order was delayed 3 times until I just canceled, ordered a regular 12 month card, and received it in 2 days.

If you want soemthing in great shape, always buy it IN PERSON and don't hand over a cent until you've seen it.

Online shipping costs are going up and your "free" shipping is going to suffer since none of the carriers offer a free shipping option anyway. I guess the companies are sick of taking the hit. Walmart's killed 97 cent shipping, no surprise there.

Your items were packed poorly? That's typical. Hasbro Toy Shop throws your crap in a box and tosses in a large wad of brown paper. Toys R Us just throws it in the box and you'll have to pray the packing slip receipt provides adequate cushioning. Walmart sorta tries, I guess.

I have Prime and have never had a problem with their shipping too slow or bad packaging (the items always come in small cardboard boxes). Knocking on wood that I don't have any problems with them int he future... Maybe the USPS likes me and doesn't treat the boxes like shit?

However, their prices on getting English-translated manga aren't the cheapest (I get em from Right Stuf).

I also have a problem with how their whole giftcard/promotional credit/codes work. I was trying to save up my giftcard balance to buy a PS3. I add the codes from the giftcards into my account when I receive them. But I also like to buy games from Amazon & being a really CAG I want to use ECA with my purchases. But whenever you buy something and add an ECA code the only way to use it is if you use your giftcard balance also. Making it impossible to separate saving up a giftcard balance & use ECA for game purchases.

I guess I shouldn't enter my giftcard codes when I receive them but I'm affraid of losing them or someone accidently throwing them away.

I've been mooching off my friend's Prime membership for a while, and for me it seems like the Two-Day Shipping (the default "free" option with Prime) has actually gotten faster. My last two purchases from them arrived the day after I placed the order!

I have yet to have an issue with amazon. I agree that any issues now are likely due to increased traffc due to the holidays. And I'm willing to let a few things slide because I recognize that amazon is still able to provide things like free shipping, good discounts, responsive cs, and more despite the sour economy. Amazon isn't perfect, but they are still my etailer of choice as no other mail order company has done better in my experience.

I thought Amazon was perfect until in 2007, they accidentally shipped my 2 pre-Xmas Wiis (1 for myself, 1 for cousins) to some pre-med student in Bogota, Colombia while I got his medical test study guides.

Needless to say, I sent back the books so I could get my $500 back from amazon - though I'm sure the other guy simply re-ordered his books and kept the 2 free Wiis - and a ruined Christmas for my little cousins that year. Had to wait nearly 6 more months to finally buy them again, while my aunt and uncle told me their kids were bouncing off the walls with Wii games in their hands from the Xmas and no Wii of their own to play them on.

What did I get for my troubles? Just a "we're very sorry for our error" in the phone call and an e-mail and a $5 amazon credit :)

Oh well, not everyone's perfect.

They made up for it through the 2 game trade-in promotions that netted me a spare Xbox 360 arcade unit (free) and a MadCatz TE stick for $45 (50% off and balace trade in credit)

I haven't had a problem with Amazon really at all but I have to say after my most recent online purchase I might have to start using BestBuy.com a lot more. I pre-ordered the Snow White Blu-Ray from Best Buy to get the Steel book and when the blu-ray shipped to me and I got it in the mail, they for some reason gave me two copies of the movie. I double checked and was only charged for one. Not sure what happened but either way, works for me. :)

Best Buy + 1

I ran into some problems with Halo 3 ODST. It came really quickly in one of those brown envelopes.

But CS sucked until I left negative feedback in the email they sent me over the phone call (I got a total idiot). They fixed it pretty quickly after that, so I recommend calling. If they don't fix it, just say the phone call didn't help in the email they sent. They should fix it quick... they hate the negative feedback.

I'm still pretty peeved about the discontinuation of the post-order price guarantee. And their packaging has always been hit-and-miss.

Can't argue with the prices though, especially combined with Amazon Visa rewards, ECA discount, no tax, free shipping...

The service would have to get pretty dang bad to justify paying at least $15 more per game in a store.

I've had 2 games with broken cases. Both of those games came in big bubble envelopes. Both games were replaced by amazon with 1 day shipping and free RMA shipping back. Both games were packages better during the 1 day shipping after complaining about the packaging.

Amazon is great. My free prime trial have been awesome, but I dont know about paying for it when it's over.

With all the stuff I've ordered from Amazon in the last 60 days, my Prime membership has more than paid for itself. I like the easy returns, especially since you only get docked for about $5 for shipping and not 15% plus shipping like every other online retailer (Newegg, I'm looking in your direction). All inquiries I've sent to Amazon CS have been answered promptly, courteously, and thoroughly. I've been doing a lot more business with them, and it's saved me a lot of money in the process.

Amazon is my one stop shop for everything! No problems here... well only once did I order a Blu-ray that was advertised to come with a Digital Copy (but it was expired...) and that's not really Amazon's fault.

bread's done
Back