When do you need a driver's license?

It depends on the state and where he plans on driving it.

Some states have both motorcycle and driver's licenses. Other have the driver's license with a motorcycle class appended to it. He'll need to check with his state's DMV to see what kind of requirements are for that kind of bike. Since it has such a small engine, it may not require one at all.

In the state of Washington it's under 50cc, you don't need a license or insurance.
However, that thing isn't even a vehicle technically. It's a bicycle with a motor on it. I can't imagine you getting in trouble with it unless you ride on the sidewalk or try to go on the freeway with it.
gopher it.

That should be considered a bicycle because you can power it yourself without the necessity of a motor as opposed to a motorcycle/moped where it is only powered by it's own means.

BTW; the basket on the front is kinda queer.

You'll definitely have to check your state laws. I know in Wisconsin you can ride mopeds with a standard driver's license, but I'm sure it's different everywhere.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']It depends on the state and where he plans on driving it.

Some states have both motorcycle and driver's licenses. Other have the driver's license with a motorcycle class appended to it. He'll need to check with his state's DMV to see what kind of requirements are for that kind of bike. Since it has such a small engine, it may not require one at all.[/QUOTE]

Probably best said.

Although you might want to let your 26 year old friend know performance on that electric bike will almost suck. Picture themselves zooming around town in those 'assist-carts' provided at grocery stores or Wal-Marts. That basket trim will do wonders for his social life, too! They'll get the idea.

Go get a real mountain bike or scooter instead.

God, get a damn licenses, I don't understand people that just go through life assuming their friends will drive them everywhere. Really annoying.

My friend and I are in PA. She's a unique situation around here in that she's a somewhat illegal alien, so she can't get a license. And yes, she's a woman, so the basket would be fine. ITT she does want to get this to stop bothering her friends to drive her, but she lives far from the big stores, like Wal-Mart, Giant, malls, those types of stores. So that would be a horrible idea for her to use that bike to travel 15-minute-by-car distances? Gah, I'd imagine so, putting it into that perspective.

[quote name='Moses144']My friend and I are in PA. She's a unique situation around here in that she's a somewhat illegal alien, so she can't get a license. And yes, she's a woman, so the basket would be fine. ITT she does want to get this to stop bothering her friends to drive her, but she lives far from the big stores, like Wal-Mart, Giant, malls, those types of stores. So that would be a horrible idea for her to use that bike to travel 15-minute-by-car distances? Gah, I'd imagine so, putting it into that perspective.[/quote]

:whistle2:k somewhat illegal alien? How does that work?

[quote name='Moses144']My friend and I are in PA. She's a unique situation around here in that she's a somewhat illegal alien, so she can't get a license. And yes, she's a woman, so the basket would be fine. ITT she does want to get this to stop bothering her friends to drive her, but she lives far from the big stores, like Wal-Mart, Giant, malls, those types of stores. So that would be a horrible idea for her to use that bike to travel 15-minute-by-car distances? Gah, I'd imagine so, putting it into that perspective.[/quote]OH boy...:bomb:

[quote name='Mospeada_21']Picture themselves zooming around town in those 'assist-carts' provided at grocery stores or Wal-Marts.
[/quote]

Lol.

[quote name='Maklershed']Interesting. Does pushing her down the steps remedy the somewhat illegal alien situation too?[/quote]

Depends, do these steps somewhat let out on the other side of the border?

i know in NY you don't need a license for a bike under 50cc or that has a max speed of under 30mph. depending on the roads that she needs to take to get to the store it might technically be illegal to drive that bike on a major road. some highways, unless they are specifically designated as bike routes, you are not allowed to ride a bike on. i don't know the details of where she lives or what the laws in your state/county/town are, but I ran into those issues in NY when looking to get a moped. i ended up needing to get a motorcycle license so i could get a more powerful bike to be allowed on the highway (not interstate. by highway i mean state route)

[quote name='Maklershed']Zenithian only says that so people stop riding on him. It hurts his back.[/quote]

Seriously, I'm not a damn Camel or an Elephant.

I'm not fully aware of her situation, but from what my friend has told me, it seems she came here legally, but ran away from a college of sorts, probably one to which she was required to go. So now she doesn't have an SSN or does taxes, and says she can't, but it seems that she IS a citizen, sort of. That's what she's told me, anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if there were some lies or not full truths (I mean, who would say they came in off a raft or something?)

[quote name='Moses144']I'm not fully aware of her situation, but from what my friend has told me, it seems she came here legally, but ran away from a college of sorts, probably one to which she was required to go. So now she doesn't have an SSN or does taxes, and says she can't, but it seems that she IS a citizen, sort of. That's what she's told me, anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if there were some lies or not full truths (I mean, who would say they came in off a raft or something?)[/QUOTE]

out-staying work visas or student visas are prime Republican topics.

Bad girl, bad girl, wha'chu gonna do, wha'chu gonna do when they come for you?

Tell her to get a damn 10 MPG gas-guzzling SUV if she really wants to fit in with other Americans. I mean, who are the cops more likely to spot, that or a somewhat-illegal alien riding an electric bike?

[quote name='Chika']i know in NY you don't need a license for a bike under 50cc or that has a max speed of under 30mph. depending on the roads that she needs to take to get to the store it might technically be illegal to drive that bike on a major road. some highways, unless they are specifically designated as bike routes, you are not allowed to ride a bike on. i don't know the details of where she lives or what the laws in your state/county/town are, but I ran into those issues in NY when looking to get a moped. i ended up needing to get a motorcycle license so i could get a more powerful bike to be allowed on the highway (not interstate. by highway i mean state route)[/QUOTE]

seriously, 26 and doesnt have a license...? Hes either in the armed forces of a complete fucktard,possibly both?

bread's done
Back