Where can I get a prepaid credit/debit card?

J7.

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
Where's the best place to get one of those prepaid credit/debit type cards that I can use for websites that require a credit card to join? I don't know if they would take a debit card or not.

Probably any grocey store, Fred Meyer and Safeway sells them here, or places like Walgreens and Walmart have the greendot ones I think.

If you have paypal, you could always generate a one time use card number with them. That way you don't get any recurring fees, if that's what you're trying to avoid.

To use on websites like ECA for membership, I assume it can't be debit. What type of card should I look for? I'll look into that paypal thing.

as long as your debit card has a credit logo on it like Visa or Mastercard, you should be able to use it. They just treat it like a cc. Otherwise, as has been mentioned, any procery store or drug store should carry them up near the registers as well as Walmart/Target.

[quote name='Interfeci']If you have paypal, you could always generate a one time use card number with them. That way you don't get any recurring fees, if that's what you're trying to avoid.[/QUOTE

Im apparently slow on the uptake, can ya tell me where on the paypal site I need to do this. This would be great

[quote name='Interfeci']If you have paypal, you could always generate a one time use card number with them. That way you don't get any recurring fees, if that's what you're trying to avoid.[/QUOTE]

Im apparently slow on the uptake, can ya tell me where on the paypal site I need to do this. This would be great

[quote name='Interfeci']If you have paypal, you could always generate a one time use card number with them. That way you don't get any recurring fees, if that's what you're trying to avoid.[/QUOTE]

It's possible to use your existing paypal balance as a one time use credit card online?! This would be so useful. Could you please let us know the name of the option/where to find it?

I can't seem to find an option for it. All I've found so far is offers to sign up for a paypal credit or debit card.

I personally have the Wal Mart card, because I hate dealing with banks (horrible experiences). I can safely say I love the thing. The fee is only 4$ a month if you have a ballance

How much do the cards cost & how much are the fees?

How do you put money on them?

[quote name='dragoon99']It's possible to use your existing paypal balance as a one time use credit card online?! This would be so useful. Could you please let us know the name of the option/where to find it?

I can't seem to find an option for it. All I've found so far is offers to sign up for a paypal credit or debit card.[/QUOTE]
Same here.

Don't go greendot. I sell those cards and it's only good if you play to keep using it (why would you want to keep using a prepaid card unless you can't get a checking account?) They are $4.95 for the initial purchase and $5.95 every month for a maintenance fee. If you want to put money on your card you pay $4.95 every time you want to add cash unless you do a bank draft which is free, or direct deposit from your work. Your best bet is to just find a visa gift card at a drug/grocery store or walk into just about any bank branch and ask the teller if you can purchase a prepaid visa gift card. Hope that helps.

edit: Oh and have no fear about using a visa gift card as a "credit" card. ATM/Debit cards will usually have star, plus, or cirrus logos on them specifying that they're used in atms as well (which is why when you swipe a debit card at a grocery store pinpad, it asks for your pin first because it connects to the atm network) Having a card with the actual visa logo on it works like a credit card online.

[quote name='Bmac1775']Im apparently slow on the uptake, can ya tell me where on the paypal site I need to do this. This would be great[/QUOTE]

[quote name='dragoon99']It's possible to use your existing paypal balance as a one time use credit card online?! This would be so useful. Could you please let us know the name of the option/where to find it?

I can't seem to find an option for it. All I've found so far is offers to sign up for a paypal credit or debit card.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='J7.']How much do the cards cost & how much are the fees?

How do you put money on them?

Same here.[/QUOTE]

I had the same question as you guys so I googled it.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4472021_generate-card-number-through-paypal.html

I wanted to use one for the ECA membership, too. I didn't know how to generate a one-time use card and the PP site isn't very helpful with that subject. I ended using a CC that I only use for emergencies.

I like the idea of the one-time use card number by PayPal, I bet that's going to be your best deal.

Not all debit cards are created equal. Be sure to read all the FAQs about the fees.

I've been doing some freelance writing for a prepaid debit card (MasterCard product) called, Mango Money. I've been using it for the last 1.5 months and I like it because I can load money, then budget myself monthly. However, there are some fees involved if you don't educate yourself.

They post the fee structure on the website so it's very straightforward. Take a look by going to MangoMoney dot com.

All my best,
Kim

[quote name='Kim_Mango']spam[/QUOTE]

Hummm, Mango.com and you name is Mango on here.....I bet....naw cant be

Last edited by a moderator:
For the paypal card thing, I think you use the Paypal Plug-in browser toolbar. Go to the products and services tab, then scroll down to "More products and services" and click on Paypal Plug-in. It has a 'Generate secure card' feature, I think that's what you're looking for? Never used it myself.

[quote name='guinaevere']Nice catch, Bmac. Now if only you had reported the post instead of replying to it.[/QUOTE]

I knew id screw it up

i dont think there any REAL prepaid cards that does not charge a monthly fee..

Went to

walmart
meijers
Walgreen
bank

All of those charge between 3 to 8 per month just to hold the card ..

[quote name='Bmac1775']I knew id screw it up[/QUOTE]
I'm just giving you a hard time, and attempting to make a point to anyone who's reading. When you see something iffy on the boards, report it so we can clear it out. Like i said though, good catch.

American Express no longer charges Monthly fees for their Gift (prepaid) Cards. I've used these in the past online and in B&M stores without any problems. Visa/ MC may do these also, but I've only received Amex prepaid cards, so I don't have any experience with them.

The Vanilla Visa pre-paid gift/credit/debit cards are decent. They have a fee of like $6 or so(more on the higher denominations)when you first get them. They don't really charge any monthly fees on them until the 7th month or so and then it's $2.50 a month.

Here's the page with more info on them: https://www.vanillavisa.com/cardholderAgreement.html

As long as you use up the balance before that 7th month, then you shouldn't see ANY fees taken off of the card balance.

[quote name='guinaevere']I'm just giving you a hard time, and attempting to make a point to anyone who's reading. When you see something iffy on the boards, report it so we can clear it out. Like i said though, good catch.

American Express no longer charges Monthly fees for their Gift (prepaid) Cards. I've used these in the past online and in B&M stores without any problems. Visa/ MC may do these also, but I've only received Amex prepaid cards, so I don't have any experience with them.[/QUOTE]
Amex looks like the best solution. If I used Paypal and ECA did not charge anything, that leaves my one use open and vulnerable. Judging by the way ECA is handling other things, like not even being able to make sure you get the certification email or have a secure credit card login I don't trust them with my money. Here are locations that sell the Amex gift cards:
http://blog.giftcardrescue.com/gift...to-buy-american-express-gift-cards-in-person/

So I picked up one of the Amex ones and was a little upset it had a stupid $4 activation fee. Their claim about no monthly fees is only true for the first 12 months.

Futuracards has a pay as you go card that has no monthly fee. But it does cost .95 each time you use it. That is what I use when i buy things online

Anyone know if you are charged fees if you are unable to use the whole card balance? Not sure how to use the exact balance on the card without going over, even if I get gas I might go over and be charged for that. Ugh.

Guys, remember John Doe told you..

Go to Valley National Bank and tell them you want to buy a gift card. There is no activation fee or anything like there is when you buy at CVS.

bread's done
Back