8 (100%)
Wherehouse
FYE
Sam Goody
Strawberries
Coconuts
Specs Music
Streetside Records

which are all subsidiaries of the same insane company are having a promotion that lasts until 01/31/07. Beware, although this SHOULD be a national deal, given the sketchiness of these outfits this deal may in fact be YMMV.

the promotion is as follows...

they have a brown bag available at some stores (should be all) that states you may fill it with used DVDs, CDs and Video Games and get 20% more cash or store credit for your trade in for those items.
it also says if you need more bag space you may BYOB (bring your own bag) which means as many DVDs, CDs and Video Games as you can cart which renders the brown bag a useless gimmick.

those of us that trade at these institutions know that for certain games (dvds, cds) there are some respectable, occasionally great trade in values.

they would normally manually tack on 20% extra credit to whatever the trade value is if you want the store credit instead of cash.

with this deal you get the 20% credit + 20% promo credit for a righteous 40% EXTRA STORE CREDIT on any trades made in January 2007.

the cash trades get 20% promo cash added to the value, which is decent loot depending on the game(s).

remember - the bonus cash/credit must be manually adjusted so keep an eye (or two) open.

this deal has potential but may take some effort.

with so many clearance sales going on (KMART, TRU, Sears, etc) there are some definite winners to trade in:

example:

TRU

Godfather LE (XBOX) - 9.98
Wherehouse/FYE CASH trade in value - 20.00 + 4.00 extra cash credit = $24.00

Atelier Iris 2 (PS2) - 9.98
Wherehouse/FYE CASH trade in value - 18.00 + 3.60 extra cash credit = $21.60

Odama (GC) - 9.98
Wherehouse/FYE CASH trade in value - 15.00 + 3.00 extra cash credit = $18.00

Steambot Chronicles (PS2) - 9.98
Wherehouse/FYE CASH trade in value - 15.00 + 3.00 extra cash credit = $18.00

check Wherehouse.com for trade in values on any DVD, CD or Video Game - just subtract 20% from the given credit value for your cash value.

this is a deal that you can earn a 100% return of cash/credit on certain games.

beware - the managers look at you like you have a stocking on your head and a gat in your hand when they are forking over $100 dollars cash for 5 games you just traded...

good luck to all

ps - nearly all of the stores that do trades are running this promotion - as usual CSRs are usually clueless about it - just ask them to look up the current promotions. You do not need the silly brown bag although it helps to have so the CSR will have that clue they could use.

pss - beware that some CSR/Managers will give you the runaround because they don't want to get hosed by yet another nonsensical deal (business-wise) foisted upon them by Corporate.

psss - at some stores i have traded at they do have a 2 copy per title limit - that is, when they have 2 used copies of a title in stock they refuse to take anymore. this seems to be YMMV but beware. i guess all those Max Payne 2s were finally noticed by somebody!

The funny thing about this is my local Strawberries was doing an extra 50% trade in credit that ended this past Sat. so I got $15 for Odama + $7.50 extra for a total of $22.50 in credit. That is YMMV as not all were doing that.

P.S. I'm typing this from my Wii just to test it out.

hmm, maybe i'll consider doing this. i have a bunch of cds and dvds i need to get rid of...too bad fye is insanely overpriced on most things. :\

not too bad, but i am just spoiled by the 4 for one deal. Trading in $2-4 games and get over $10 credit was insane.

Found another good one. If you bought Final Fantasy III for 20.00 in that TRU sale a few weeks back, and dont like it, you can actually MAKE money (if you dont mind credit) with this.

FYE just sucks when it comes to their selection on games, even more my local sam goody's have been gone for a long time now...

well now that i think about it, suncoast doesn't take used games, however one of the fyes in this area i believe does...hah, suncoast credit, i wonder if the one i used to work at still has ps2 games.

all the Wherehouse's around my area recently switched to FYE and now the used prices are ridiculous. I used to be able to pick up used DS games for $15-20 and now since their FYE their selling used copies of DS games for $29.99 even for games with a retail of $29.99. i looked through their used gamecube section and found Tales of Symphonia (Players Choice) for $43.99 and Metroid Prime 2 for $34.99.

This is a good chance to stock up on credit to use on wherehouse.com for when they have their awesome sales. I doubt I have anything they'd take though as they probably only accept newer games. I can't imagine them accepting copies of Fantavision.

do cds/dvds/games that are "currently overbought" at wherehouse.com necessarily mean that FYE won't be buying them either? I have a few dvds and games that are currently overbought and won't take anymore at the wherehouse.com

Do stores like FYE only deal in used games? I don't mind getting store credit if I can buy NEW video game hardware.

FYE's trade in policy is horrible.

I remember my last experience all too well. The rep told me, and I quote
"We don't take back games that we already have..."
I asked her, how am I supposed to know what games you have, is there a list?
She replied "No there's not, just bring in what you have, and try your luck..."

What is this Las Vegas now, am I going to see Carrot top walking around around holding a brown bag there?

To those of you with good ones in your area, I wish you the best... :cry:

[quote name='Jiggadabaptist']FYE's trade in policy is horrible.

I remember my last experience all too well. The rep told me, and I quote
"We don't take back games that we already have..."
I asked her, how am I supposed to know what games you have, is there a list?
She replied "No there's not, just bring in what you have, and try your luck..."

To those of you with good ones in your area, I wish you the best... :cry:[/quote]

I really considered trading some of the TRUs games, but I picked up just one to try my luck. They're just very inconsistent. I walked in and ask if I could trade this game in. The manager just told me 'We are not doing anymore trade ins until early next year. '
Now, nowhere were there any signs, and I then asked if this was going on at all stores? She answered that it varied by store. WTF?

I asked them to call the other local store, and they said that they were taking trade ins:bomb:. Of course I wasn't going to drive another 20 minutes and waste more gas that particular night. So, I'm torn about taking in more trades there.
They complain that they don't take games that they already have? Well, what about the 5 used copies they have of 007? Where's the consistency?
:bomb:

FYE is very YMMV. One of mine takes everything, another only takes games they dont have, and the third one doesnt even sell games.

yup,fye is very ymmv,the fye in 50th avenue in avenue of america stop taking tradins.I know the fye in steinway and 83 jackson height queens should accept it.It's time to flip all those tru games.I wonder will take 20 Atelier Iris 2?

Does anyone know if the extra 20% will automatically ring up or will the employee have to do something special? This could mean the difference between the trade taking 5 min. or an hour.

[quote name='fatbeer']yup,fye is very ymmv,the fye in 50th avenue in avenue of america stop taking tradins.I know the fye in steinway and 83 jackson height queens should accept it.It's time to flip all those tru games.I wonder will take 20 Atelier Iris 2?[/quote]

The one on 82nd street (Queens) wasn't taking any trade-ins last week, so I'd call before heading over there. They are easier to deal with, when they are taking trade ins. The guys at Steinway (depening on who you get) are pretty annal and suspicious on every trade-in, so it always depends on their mood, and how much they've sold that day.

[quote name='dragonjud']The one on 82nd street (Queens) wasn't taking any trade-ins last week, so I'd call before heading over there. They are easier to deal with, when they are taking trade ins. The guys at Steinway (depening on who you get) are pretty annal and suspicious on every trade-in, so it always depends on their mood, and how much they've sold that day.[/QUOTE]

thx,for info.Employees in Steinway aways seems suspicious because many people their either flips games or tradin in very large bulk of games about 25 or more games for cash instead of credit.Hell,who can blame them?I flip couple of mint games with that new game smell.;)

ok guys - just got back from Sam Goody.

They knew about the deal, and even had brown bags at the register.

But, the prices DO NOT MATCH the wherehouse.com trade-in prices. They are lower. Anywhere from 10-20% lower than what is stated online. (now, when you add the 20% from the brown bag deal, the prices are about the same...)

I went back and asked was that the CASH or the CREDIT price. He said they give the same value either way. (Cash or credit.)

I was disappointed, but whatever...

matthew

[quote name='simpsonps121']ok guys - just got back from Sam Goody.

But, the prices DO NOT MATCH the wherehouse.com trade-in prices. They are lower. Anywhere from 10-20% lower than what is stated online. (now, when you add the 20% from the brown bag deal, the prices are about the same...)

I went back and asked was that the CASH or the CREDIT price. He said they give the same value either way. (Cash or credit.)

matthew[/QUOTE]

Listen Strawberries is the way to go on this deal in my opinion.

I will link to the thread that I started in the Northeast section:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121935

The manager at my local Strawberries said to use the website www.secondspin.com to give you an accurate price of what you will get and to not use wherehouse.com since they add in extra money for shipping.

[quote name='simpsonps121']ok guys - just got back from Sam Goody.

matthew[/quote]

I can confirm this for FYE in Fremont/Newpark Mall.

Prices are definitely lower than wherehouse.com shows for FYE. About $15 less for the stuff I had than wherehouse.com showed.

Also, the guy only gave me 20% in store credit. Actually I think a little less than 20%. I asked whether I get the 25% store credit + the 20% promotional. He said 20% on the bag was just "how they advertise", and the store credit is 20% over Cash, instead of 25%. ;( What a bunch of crock.

I was hoping to get almost $70+ for my used dvds/cds, but ended up getting about $20 less than I was expecting.

*coughbullfuckcough*

[quote name='3QGojo']

The manager at my local Strawberries said to use the website www.secondspin.com to give you an accurate price of what you will get and to not use wherehouse.com since they add in extra money for shipping.[/QUOTE]

Wherehouse.com's quotes do not include the extra trade in credit for shipping fees in the trade in quote, the shipping credit is added to your account seperate

[quote name='3QGojo']Listen Strawberries is the way to go on this deal in my opinion.

I will to the thread that I started in the Northeast section:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121935

The manager at my local Strawberries said to use the website www.secondspin.com to give you an accurate price of what you will get and to not use wherehouse.com since they add in extra money for shipping.[/QUOTE]

Ah, those prices match.

Matthew

I had to have the guy check, since they didn't have any of the bags, and he hadn't heard of the promotion, but he found it and put it through. Got the 25% for credit and then the 20% for bonus. I was trading in a bunch of DVDs to clear off the racks. The flat value was around $120, and I got an extra $60 in bonus credit.

Of course, they didn't have what I was really looking for, but I did find the original box set of Last Exile in the shiny cases marked down from $110 to $50, so I grabbed that, came home, and ordered what I wanted from the website.

[quote name='Chaz']I had to have the guy check, since they didn't have any of the bags, and he hadn't heard of the promotion, but he found it and put it through. Got the 25% for credit and then the 20% for bonus. I was trading in a bunch of DVDs to clear off the racks. The flat value was around $120, and I got an extra $60 in bonus credit.

Of course, they didn't have what I was really looking for, but I did find the original box set of Last Exile in the shiny cases marked down from $110 to $50, so I grabbed that, came home, and ordered what I wanted from the website.[/quote]

GRR! i only got 20% cuz the guy said the 20% on the bag was just "advertisement" and isn't added onto the "20%" extra store credit (instead of 25%). I got so shafted. I even went in twice to talk to the guy about it.

[quote name='YoshiFan1']Wherehouse.com's quotes do not include the extra trade in credit for shipping fees in the trade in quote, the shipping credit is added to your account seperate[/QUOTE]

No, they only add extra credit if you ship 3 or more video games to wherehouse.com.

If you notice there are games such as Timesplitters that get:

$16 at www.secondspin.com

LINK: http://www.secondspin.com/games/sell-product-detail.jsp?id=1042597

$18.40 at www.wherehouse.com

LINK: http://www.wherehouse.com/games/sell-product-detail.jsp?id=1042597

The manager said they give you extra at www.wherehouse.com for envelopes and shipping costs and that www.secondspin.com is used more often to find out what the price would be at an actual store.

Another example is Odama (GC)

SECOND SPIN: $15

http://www.secondspin.com/games/sell-product-detail.jsp?id=2583302

WHEREHOUSE: $17.50

http://www.wherehouse.com/games/sell-product-detail.jsp?id=2583302

Basically whatever extra credit they give you should be added to the $15 price on Odama.

Word of warning though, they told me that they usually don't take trade-ins that have hardware included (i.e. mics) and they don't take GBA games. YMMV on the no games with hardware because they took my copy of Odama because they were hard up for used games.

So anyone else have any luck in getting good prices for what they traded in to make some extra credit their. We should all post a list of what we can get on clearance and then get something decent

[quote name='averageguy']So anyone else have any luck in getting good prices for what they traded in to make some extra credit their. We should all post a list of what we can get on clearance and then get something decent[/QUOTE]

Again this is YMMV because my Strawberries was giving away an extra 50% on used stuff, so I got:

$22.50 for Odama (GC)
$18.00 for Samurai Champloo: Sidetracked (PS2)
==================================
TOTAL: $40.50 CREDIT
SPENT: $15.71
GAINED: $24.79

Not to shabby, I might have to check back and see if they're still giving an extra 50% credit or if it's dropped down to what it is everywhere else now.

hm strange i could've sworn there were more fye and wherehouse stores around the areas I frequent but their store locators seem to only see one or two FYE around my area, other stores for FYE/wherehouse way out in some other places that I don't know very well.

I could've sworn I used to see a Sam Goody at some mall I used to go to too but the store locator doesn't see it.

[quote name='imascrub']I can confirm this for FYE in Fremont/Newpark Mall.

Prices are definitely lower than wherehouse.com shows for FYE. About $15 less for the stuff I had than wherehouse.com showed.

Also, the guy only gave me 20% in store credit. Actually I think a little less than 20%. I asked whether I get the 25% store credit + the 20% promotional. He said 20% on the bag was just "how they advertise", and the store credit is 20% over Cash, instead of 25%. ;( What a bunch of crock.

I was hoping to get almost $70+ for my used dvds/cds, but ended up getting about $20 less than I was expecting.

*coughbullfuckcough*[/QUOTE]

Actually, the prices shown on wherehouse.com are EXACTLY 15% above the "regular" trade-in price at FYE. So, take whatever price you see on wherehouse.com, divide it by 1.15 and that's price that will show up on the register at FYE before they add in either the 20% promo or the 25% for credit.

I went to 2 FYE locations in south Florida to trade Godfather Limited Edition Xbox and Atelier Iris 2 PS2. According to secondspin.com they should have been $20.00 and $18.00 before any bonus. I was quoted $6.00 for each title at the first store. The second store would not take GF because they had 2 in stock. They said they were not able to purchase AI2 at this time because they had too many on a corporate level.

Has anyone else tried these two games? Any luck? Is this type of thing regional?

I had good luck with this deal at Wherehouse in Independence, MO. Its right across the street from TRU, where I went in and picked up copies of Capcom Classics Remixed and Samarai Warriors, each for 9.98. Plus I had a copy of Pursuit Force laying around that I'll never play again. They all get $15.00 in cash before bonuses.

So, for me it was...

45.00 plus 25% credit = 56.25 plus 20% = 67.50.

Not bad for $20 out of pocket, I picked up Cod for PS3 and have a few bucks left over. Not as good as their sale this summer that I completely demolished them on, where they would accept ANY game in their trade 3 get 1 free, or maybe it was trade four, I forgot. Anyway, traded in lots of $3 games from Kmart and old sports games from GS. I was grabbing new PSP games for around eight bucks!

[quote name='devin305']I went to 2 FYE locations in south Florida to trade Godfather Limited Edition Xbox and Atelier Iris 2 PS2. According to secondspin.com they should have been $20.00 and $18.00 before any bonus. I was quoted $6.00 for each title at the first store. The second store would not take GF because they had 2 in stock. They said they were not able to purchase AI2 at this time because they had too many on a corporate level.

Has anyone else tried these two games? Any luck? Is this type of thing regional?[/QUOTE]

That sucks, I was going to try these tonight as well, but wasn't able to go. Can anyone else confirm? I thought prices were pretty much across the board at all stores. Please someone else confirm prices.

I went there, and the guy said I could only get the bonus credit if I had been given the bag with a previous purchase. I pointed out that the bag said I could bring my own bag but he refused to give the bonus. I asked to see a manager, and he claimed he was a manager. Is there a way to get some info that proves him wrong? It'd be like 12 extra dollars with the bonus.

[quote name='bstan21']I had good luck with this deal at Wherehouse in Independence, MO. Its right across the street from TRU[/QUOTE]

I go into that store every once in a while, but I've never really checked out their games section. I saw you picked up CoD3 for the PS3, how is their selection of recent titles?

[quote name='zootedgranny']I go into that store every once in a while, but I've never really checked out their games section. I saw you picked up CoD3 for the PS3, how is their selection of recent titles?[/quote]

It is pretty interesting. They get new games on Thursdays, and usually only 1 or 2 copies of everything. Thing is, they usually run rebates on about half of what they get. Many times I've done a trade in deal to get a new game, and had a ten dollar rebate on top of that. They have these little black signs that list the rebate, and they usually aren't next to the game...so check those out before you pick something up.

They have most of the ps3 launch games and some wii titles as well. Their PS2 section is good size, although they don't update the prices on many of their games, so ask to scan it. I usually know what I want before I go in there though thanks to this board.

Oh, and they have a ton of ps1 games in the clearance bin.

[quote name='devin305']I went to 2 FYE locations in south Florida to trade Godfather Limited Edition Xbox and Atelier Iris 2 PS2. According to secondspin.com they should have been $20.00 and $18.00 before any bonus. I was quoted $6.00 for each title at the first store. The second store would not take GF because they had 2 in stock. They said they were not able to purchase AI2 at this time because they had too many on a corporate level.

Has anyone else tried these two games? Any luck? Is this type of thing regional?[/QUOTE]
Another trip today...different results. First FYE did not accept games at all. They did some DVD trades with all the appropriate bonuses. I asked them if they could confirm some game prices for me. They quoted Godfather LE Xbox as $20.00 and AI2 for $18.00. This is the same as secondspin. My movies were identical to secondspin as well.

I went to second FYE to trade the 2 games. They informed me that it was after 8 P.M. and they would not do trades. I insisted and he went to ask manager if it was ok. The manager came over to inform me that their location will no longer be selling games as of next week. After some convincing, she did the trades for me. They tried to only give the regular trade values for both games. I pretty much had to walk them through the process to get the correct values but we got it done. $57.00 total!

This was my first experience with FYE in Florida. The stores in Pennsylvania and Maryland were great during the trade 4 for 1 deals. South Florida needs some work!

I got a measly $60 for trading in Atelier Iris 2, Metal Saga, Samurai Champloo, and Steambot Chronicles.

On the other hand, trading in those same games gets you $100 at Game Rush. I flipped 10 of the above games to two different Game Rush stores and turned a $100 investment into $250 store credit.

I could have done more but there isn't really anything that I want and $250 will let me get all the "necessities" like extra controllers, Wi-Fi USB Connector, Wii Points, 360 Points, etc.

[quote name='bstan21']text[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up. I traded in quite a few things today, and I'll probably go back tomorrow. You were right about their selection, I was surprised with what they had.

I'm hoping (as futile as it may be) that either they or the FYE out in Overland Park has a PS3 for sale.

So this is my experience with the trade-ins at Wherehouse. I went to the one in Burbank, CA and the guy told me that it's 20% extra if you want cash but 50% extra if you want store credit. So, I had bought Atelier Iris 2 and Monster Rancher Evo for $7.50 each from the TRU clearance. I traded in AI2 for $18 + $9 bonus store credit, and Monster Rancher Evo got me $12 + $6 bonus store credit. I spent $15 at TRU, and made $45 at Wherehouse for a total gain of $30. Not too shabby if you ask me. Oh and it looks like the prices match up pretty well with the ones on secondspin.com. Try to get the 50% bonus if you can. It makes the deal REALLY sweet.

[quote name='devin305']Another trip today...different results. First FYE did not accept games at all. They did some DVD trades with all the appropriate bonuses. I asked them if they could confirm some game prices for me. They quoted Godfather LE Xbox as $20.00 and AI2 for $18.00. This is the same as secondspin. My movies were identical to secondspin as well.

I went to second FYE to trade the 2 games. They informed me that it was after 8 P.M. and they would not do trades. I insisted and he went to ask manager if it was ok. The manager came over to inform me that their location will no longer be selling games as of next week. After some convincing, she did the trades for me. They tried to only give the regular trade values for both games. I pretty much had to walk them through the process to get the correct values but we got it done. $57.00 total!

This was my first experience with FYE in Florida. The stores in Pennsylvania and Maryland were great during the trade 4 for 1 deals. South Florida needs some work![/quote]

This YMMV depending on the time of the month by store has led me to not bother flipping the ToysRus games. Just too much trouble to make profit.

Had a blast at an FYE today. None of the workers, nor the manager, had any idea this promotion was going on. I tried to explain it to them, but they seriously couldn't grasp the concept that 20% more store credit means 20% IN ADDITION TO the regular 25% trade-in bonus. "It's 10% + 10%, that's not 45%", said the vapid manager.

I actually had to instruct the manager to call another store, so that a competent manager could explain it to him. The best part was, after the new manager explained it to him, the original manager tried to play it off like *I* didn't understand the promotion initially. I have such hatred for this company. They are turning my sense of thrift into a crusade to rip off the company through mass trade-ins.

I would be doing this, but the employees at my FYE are tards. They would probably shut me down on it and have no clue about it.

Thanks for the info anyway OP.

Somehow my FYE completely botched the promo. I ended up getting $345 total credit on a $145 trade-in. How does that work? :) I'm not complaining!

[quote name='billg']Had a blast at an FYE today. None of the workers, nor the manager, had any idea this promotion was going on. I tried to explain it to them, but they seriously couldn't grasp the concept that 20% more store credit means 20% IN ADDITION TO the regular 25% trade-in bonus. "It's 10% + 10%, that's not 45%", said the vapid manager.

I actually had to instruct the manager to call another store, so that a competent manager could explain it to him. The best part was, after the new manager explained it to him, the original manager tried to play it off like *I* didn't understand the promotion initially. I have such hatred for this company. They are turning my sense of thrift into a crusade to rip off the company through mass trade-ins.[/quote]

that happened with me too, except I didn't even get 25% extra in trade-in. He said +20% was regular trade-in value, and the 20% promotion on the bag was just "how they advertise", so I only got 20% added manually to my final. Which after I calculated was actually just slightly under 20%. I got cheated out of an extra 25% + 5 cents! And the crappy thing is there's no other FYE stores closeby for a good double digit number of miles.

$56.65 store credit for a $47.25 trade-in :bomb: :bomb: :bomb: :bomb:
i should have just asked for that in cash...damnit.

bread's done
Back