Which anime Deserves a remake?

phantasyx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
48 (100%)
I posted a Blog about some akira info I found then it got me thinking of all the good anime that deserves to be remade. I made a poll of some choices and this is all for fun. Personally I think the Akira manga needs to be remade into a series but there are many other good choices other then this new crap on the market.

0079. Doesn't even have a fucking proper DVD set here. I could honestly do without Akira anything... so damn sick of it. It's not that wonderful, it's good, but it's not the end all.

Oh, and if Berserk honestly made your list of shit that is this important, why not toss Gantz up.. if you nuke the second half of the series and imagine it never happened, Gantz was great... now that the actual books are where they are, a proper series could easily be done. They could have a million episodes and be just like every other popular show, just with more blood/tits.

I forgot who it was, but someone did an interview on the blogs a long while back, talking with someone about the possiblility of Funimation rereleasing Sailor Moon, possibly with a new dub. Sounds nice in theory, but I've got to wonder how Sailor Moon would do in the current anime market. Or some other stuff, like Gundam or Speed Racer for that matter.

[quote name='georox']0079. Doesn't even have a fucking proper DVD set here. I could honestly do without Akira anything... so damn sick of it. It's not that wonderful, it's good, but it's not the end all.

Oh, and if Berserk honestly made your list of shit that is this important, why not toss Gantz up.. if you nuke the second half of the series and imagine it never happened, Gantz was great... now that the actual books are where they are, a proper series could easily be done. They could have a million episodes and be just like every other popular show, just with more blood/tits.[/QUOTE]
I actually slightly agree with you that Akira the movie sucked but strongly disagree on the Manga, The whole akira story was fleshed out into 6 manga's and it made it into a awesome story. So if they did that instead of a remake of the movie which tried to cramp too much into 2 hours I think you'd be more interested.

I agree with Gantz, the whole series after the current anime was sooo much better then the first. Thats just something that really just needs a second season as does Berserk.

Sailor moon needs a remake badly, I heard that Cartoon network is redoing ThunderCats epic!!

Definitely Berserk. The abrupt ending really pissed me off when I first saw it, as a few other Anime I'd seen at that time had also "ended" early.

Reading issue 221 of the Manga now...would love to have seen all this a decade ago.

Gantz most certainly deserves a remake. I thought the anime was quite shit but I did enjoy the background music. Since the manga is coming to an end soon I'd love to see somebody produce a new Gantz series that closely follows the manga. Wouldn't mind if they keep the same people who did the score. That and I want a different studio to handle this, I think Madhouse would do great but there may be some other good ones.

Perhaps not a remake, but Fruits Basket *needs* a sequel. There's so much more ground to cover. And Nana, but that one is almost guaranteed as soon as the author finishes up the manga.

I'm saying "Sailor Moon". This person was telling me about the Manga and having the Anime actually closely resemble it INCLUDING the ending would be pretty fucking coo.

Well, yeah but if sailor moon was close to the manga, then it would only be about 52 episodes long for the whole series. I personally enjoy SM as a MOTD show. They should just redo it, or at least toei should let a company license it again and dub it.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Perhaps not a remake, but Fruits Basket *needs* a sequel.[/QUOTE]
^This. :bouncy:

And I think there's a lot of anime series that would benefit from the same kind of makeover and sticking closer to the source material that Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood did in comparison to the original Fullmetal Alchemist anime. This goes for pretty much any anime that a) ends abruptly while the manga continues or b) deviates too far from the manga's storyline.

Also, I'd redo some of the longer running anime series by just stripping way some of the hundreds of hours of filler (I'm looking at you, Bleach & Naruto :bomb:). The core stories and characters are often great but diluted by so much awful, awful filler, that it's tough for anyone but the most hardcore devotees to stick with it and not tire of it. I've skipped entire seasons of filler and actually increased my enjoyment of said shows because none of the noncanon stuff ever actually carries back into the original storyline once it's over.

Finally, there are some terrific mangas that have only been adapted into anime movies and not series that could certainly be fleshed out by a good series.

I would like to see Macross being done as a remake, with all the Zentradis in their official designs. And no, I'm not pointing at that DYRL movie as the official remake, I like the whole TV series given this treatment.

But if I had to choose something from the polls, I would say Sailor Moon. The TV series was a total joke (which the original author didn't like) and the live-action dorama was pretty close to what the manga represented. I like to see this shojo given the remake it deserved, and it would've happened if Japan isn't having a Pretty Cure fix.

[quote name='OtakuFerret']^This. :bouncy:

And I think there's a lot of anime series that would benefit from the same kind of makeover and sticking closer to the source material that Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood did in comparison to the original Fullmetal Alchemist anime. This goes for pretty much any anime that a) ends abruptly while the manga continues or b) deviates too far from the manga's storyline.

Also, I'd redo some of the longer running anime series by just stripping way some of the hundreds of hours of filler (I'm looking at you, Bleach & Naruto :bomb:). The core stories and characters are often great but diluted by so much awful, awful filler, that it's tough for anyone but the most hardcore devotees to stick with it and not tire of it. I've skipped entire seasons of filler and actually increased my enjoyment of said shows because none of the noncanon stuff ever actually carries back into the original storyline once it's over.

Finally, there are some terrific mangas that have only been adapted into anime movies and not series that could certainly be fleshed out by a good series.[/QUOTE]

Actually Bleach/Naruto/One Piece getting the Dragon Ball Kai treatment won't be a bad idea.

I'll go with Space Battleship Yamato or Armored Trooper Votoms. I wouldn't complain if a Gundam 0079 remake came out either.

I don't watch too much anime and haven't seen most of those in your poll but my favorite anime of all time is Slam Dunk. This needs a continuation or a remake or whatever! I would pay loads for it, too. I got so into it, I had to find out what happened when the anime stopped. I started to read the manga (first timer) and it was also really good. However, it does not finish and ends on a bit of a odd note. I was satisfied but I want so much more.

I really want a remake of Cyborg 009. I don't know much about the story, but I remember seeing bits and pieces when I was kid. Looked like a cool concept.

[quote name='Devulture']I would like to see Macross being done as a remake, with all the Zentradis in their official designs. And no, I'm not pointing at that DYRL movie as the official remake, I like the whole TV series given this treatment.[/QUOTE]

Yeah robotech should definately be on the list. That's my choice.

Edit Is robotech the same as macross?

No, Macross and Robotech are not the same, at least not in nature. Part of Robotech has Macross in it, but it also has a couple of other anime.

The Original Gundam series please. Don't change the style, don't cut any episodes. Hell we need a proper DVD release in the states.

^ A lot of people did think SEED was a remake of the original. I think it's semi-true.

Kenshin could use a remake too. Take out the fake third arc and add in the real one.

As for skipping fillers and going back to series, didn't work 100% for me in Bleach. Skipped all of the Bount saga, but the bounts are still there... even in flashbacks!

I all honesty, I sort of wish they remade Tekkaman Blade, but it's not going to happen.

I'm fine with the Berserk ending really, it was about the Band of the Hawk and that part of the story was over, the manga just doesn't have many stopping points and even a remake would end up eventually with an ending just as abrupt and more likely ten times as infuriating . So the only series off the list I think needs a remake is 0079, i've seen the redrawn stuff they do for games ( Same style updated animation) and after what they did with the Zeta movies just redrawing the series isn't impossible. But it seems to be a pipe dream, anniversary after anniversary passes and nothing continues to happen with it even though fans obviously want it done.

Edit: How the hell could I forget Claymore?! Hell I would settle for just a redo on the last 3 eps to make it closer to what happened in the manga.

I doesn't need a remake but I'd like to see Berserk pick up from where it left off.

An Akira remake wouldn't make sense. It's aged perfectly and is still one of the best looking anime.

While I'd love to see a Lupin the 3rd remake I can't help but feel they'd cheez it up and dumb it down like 90% of anime now. Making me appreciate the original even more.

Gundam would be interesting and make a lot of sense. The 30 year old animation could benefit from a remake. Also since Gundam has a confusing time line, it would make sense to start from the beginning for fresh viewers. They did make a remake of sorts for Gundam Zeta in the form of two movies.

[quote name='guilewasnk']lupin the third is the only correct answer! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rm99tmzmxkk[/quote]
yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One can only understand a Akira remake after they read the first book of the manga

Which chapter did the anime Claymore change? I need to re read that part.

I've never seen 0079, shame on me?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Devulture']No, Macross and Robotech are not the same, at least not in nature. Part of Robotech has Macross in it, but it also has a couple of other anime.[/QUOTE]

Thanks.

[quote name='elessar123']
Kenshin could use a remake too. Take out the fake third arc and add in the real one.[/QUOTE]

+1...I was about to say this myself. The Enishi Arc is my favorite arc in the manga, and the second Kenshin Ova just totally bastardized it.

I'm also hoping for a GTO continuation one day for the 3rd arc/14 days in Shounen.

[quote name='crowbb']I'll go with Space Battleship Yamato or Armored Trooper Votoms. I wouldn't complain if a Gundam 0079 remake came out either.[/QUOTE]

Agreed Yamato deserves a a remake, such a classic, it deserves a remake...badly!

[quote name='62t']Saint Seiya[/QUOTE]

I love you for saying this. Saint Seiya is one of my favorite anime's cause I grew up with it. Another good one that needs a remake is Hunter X Hunter. Although I'd also love to see Sailor Moon redone

Negima, Trigun, Berserk, and Rurouni Kenshin.

At least Negima has the OVAs, but it would be so much better if it could be a series by a good studio like Bones or Madhouse.

Another vote for Rurouni Kenshin but I wouldn't want to wait through so many eps to see the Jinchu arc. They were planning to do it for a fourth season but due to the shittiness of season 3 which caused low ratings the show was canceled afterwards. I heard word that there's a live action movie being made in Japan.

Beserk doesn't need a remake, it just needs an ending.

I don't particularly like the idea of 'remakes', most of the time- if the show was good the first time around, why risk ruining what made it special by trying to update it? If it wasn't good, why waste the time on something that was junk to start?

Exceptions, of course, can be made for fantastic manga with terrible anime- since you know, if handled right, it could be awesome.

That said, I suppose if I were to pick a 'dead' franchise I'd like too see more of, I'd pick Eat-Man. I really enjoyed the Eat-Man manga back in the day, but neither of the anime really seem to capture the same 'mood' (especially Eat-Man '98, that was dissapointing. The first series wasn't bad- kinda weird, but not bad.) I don't care about a 'remake' though- new material is fine as long as it's true to the source.

[quote name='DuelLadyS']I don't particularly like the idea of 'remakes', most of the time- if the show was good the first time around, why risk ruining what made it special by trying to update it? If it wasn't good, why waste the time on something that was junk to start?[/QUOTE]

Well, I don't agree with that. FMA was good, but Brotherhood blew it away so much that I don't even recognize FMA to have existed any more.

[quote name='elessar123']^ A lot of people did think SEED was a remake of the original. I think it's semi-true.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed. It had it's moments but really took awhile for me to get into. They played up the whole 'Specials' thing but I still miss the Guntanks, Guncannons, Goufs and Zaku IIs. The ace in 08th MS team still gives me chills. Really I just want another series based around the UC 0079-0080 universe.

[quote name='hcamacho']Agreed Yamato deserves a a remake, such a classic, it deserves a remake...badly![/QUOTE]

That might actually happen since they are releasing the live action movie.

[quote name='Rodimus']I doesn't need a remake but I'd like to see Berserk pick up from where it left off.

An Akira remake wouldn't make sense. It's aged perfectly and is still one of the best looking anime.

While I'd love to see a Lupin the 3rd remake I can't help but feel they'd cheez it up and dumb it down like 90% of anime now. Making me appreciate the original even more.

Gundam would be interesting and make a lot of sense. The 30 year old animation could benefit from a remake. Also since Gundam has a confusing time line, it would make sense to start from the beginning for fresh viewers. They did make a remake of sorts for Gundam Zeta in the form of two movies.[/QUOTE]

Gundam Kai (UC of course) would be pretty sweet.

I'd like to see a remake of elfen lied, though it could never be aired on TV. It could use the same treatment that FMA got. Macross could be interesting.

[quote name='elessar123']Well, I don't agree with that. FMA was good, but Brotherhood blew it away so much that I don't even recognize FMA to have existed any more.[/QUOTE]

OT for this thread, but did Brotherhood end up following the manga rather faithfully? I stopped watching late last year (not because I didn't like it, just got preoccupied with other things). Kinda assumed given how many years the manga lasted, Brotherhood would last at least a couple years. Bit surprised it's already over.

[quote name='phantasyx']Dragon ball and dbz could use a total remake, although the latest dvd set removes all the fillers which is pretty awesome.[/QUOTE]
They're already releasing the remake for DBZ. Dragonball didn't need to be changed, just the rights to the first 13 episodes to release on DVD that Funimation hasn't been able to get since they got the DVD license.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']They're already releasing the remake for DBZ. Dragonball didn't need to be changed, just the rights to the first 13 episodes to release on DVD that Funimation hasn't been able to get since they got the DVD license.[/QUOTE]
I will be looking forward for it then.

[quote name='pstriple']OT for this thread, but did Brotherhood end up following the manga rather faithfully? I stopped watching late last year (not because I didn't like it, just got preoccupied with other things). Kinda assumed given how many years the manga lasted, Brotherhood would last at least a couple years. Bit surprised it's already over.[/QUOTE]

AFAIK it follows the manga, but I haven't read it outside summaries. However, the anime ended because the manga ended, around the same time as the anime ended, so the ending should be the same, but I haven't seen the last dozen or so episodes.

[quote name='elessar123']AFAIK it follows the manga, but I haven't read it outside summaries. However, the anime ended because the manga ended, around the same time as the anime ended, so the ending should be the same, but I haven't seen the last dozen or so episodes.[/QUOTE]

Anime and manga ending is the same, just a lot of dialogue is cut in those last few eps at least from the battles but then the final ep which was slower paced like the final issue is pretty much intact save one or two scenes.

^Thanks for the FMA info elassar and coolsteel. I was just worried if they rushed through a bunch of volumes to catch up with the manga, but doesn't seem like that's really the case. Definitely need to start watching Brotherhood again.

bread's done
Back