Which Burnout should I buy?

m0nkeybl1tz

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Hey, so I don't really have any racing games, and I figured I'd go with Burnout, since it seems like the best multiplayer racing game. The problem with buying a game with lots of sequels is that all reviews are based on how they stack up to previous games. Like, if the sequel is essentially the same game with better graphics, it gets a lower score because it's less innovative... Grrr.... Anyways, I digress:

My question is, which Burnout is overall the most fun. I don't really play online, so the lack of online play in Dominator doesn't really bother me. Anyways, I'm curious about your opinions. Thanks.

I've played all the Burnout games since the first one one on GC i bought. haha. I'd have to say Revenge is the best one to date. It has the awesomeness of Burnout 3, but for some reason it feels much tighter. I'd say go with that one.

3 or Revenge -- I loved the traffic checking from Revenge, but Burnout 3 seemed like the more solid game from what I've played of both.

Either 3 or Revenge. Three was by far the more difficult (since you can't push traffic out of the way), but it was more rewarding. Revenge is still a sweet all around game.

Burnout 2 is the best game in the series. Yeah, I said it.

But for someone who's never played any of them before, yeah, go ahead and get Revenge. Just make sure to turn all of the default music off.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Burnout 2 is the best game in the series. Yeah, I said it.

But for someone who's never played any of them before, yeah, go ahead and get Revenge. Just make sure to turn all of the default music off.[/quote]

good reason to get the xbox one if you can choose between systems.

Burnout 2 had the best crash junctions (if you get this one, go for the Xbox version if possible since it has a ton more junctions and extra stuff).

Burnout Revenge has the graphical prowess of Takedown (3), but its crash junctions are far more similar to 2 (I hated the "icons" in 3).

The traffic checking does make things a tad easier at first, but once you get used to being able to rear end same-way traffic and they start throwing the random bus or semi in your path, it gets dicey fast. :)

burn out 3 was probably the funniest one out of all of them. i found revenge to be kind of boring and more of the same (have only played the 360 version) in comparison with the 3.

I liked Revenge better than Takedown but it might be because of the prettier graphics and achievements on the 360...

I enjoyed #2 the most. As someone else stated, get the Xbox version if you can. Three was also highly entertaining, but became ridiculously difficult as you neared the end.

Burnout 1 by far...

not. Now that I've got your attention, I'd go for Burnout 3.

I own part 2, 3, and Revenge.

Out of all of them I like Burnout 3 the best.

Burnout 3 > 2 > Revenge.

I say if you have an xbox get part 2 and 3. They feel so much like different games, your not going to feel cheated. Plus at this point getting them cheap should be no problem.

I played Burnout 1-3 and loved each one. I beat them to 100% completion.

I played Revenge, and thought the ability to knock traffic out of the way completely broke the game. It ruined it for me. I never got past around 30% complete. I also hated the 'me-too' slick urban environment garbage that Revenge went with. Much like the SSX series. it peaked with part 3, and its been downhill ever since imo.

I recommend part 3.

Im wary of getting this latest Burnout. I'll read some reviews before I waste my money on another pos like Revenge.

The worst thing about Burnout is the music. If you can, get it on Xbox so that you can put in your own custom soundtrack.

I think the Criteron guys should talk to the GTA guys about getting some decent music.

Hm, well, it looks like 3 is the winner. If any of you have it FS/TF, lmk. Or Revenge, I guess. People seem to like it pretty ok. Thanks for all your help.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Hey, I liked the Burnout music...[/quote]

I guess we wont be borrowing music CDs from each other....:)

I liked Burnout 3 better because it didn't have the crash camera Revenge had. It was much easier (and more fun) to get multiple takedowns in 3 because you could see what you were doing.

if you have xbox 360, i would say go with revenge, obviously. if not, I believe starting out with 2 on the xbox is not a bad idea, then work your way to 3 and revenge. i feel like 2 had the best crash mode since it's gotta be all skills.

I'd pick 3. I enjoyed it much more. My wife and I played Crash mode switching off, and got golds on all events. Worth buying just for that. Tons of fun, and I think they ruined Crash mode in Revenge.

[quote name='ViolentLee']I'd pick 3. I enjoyed it much more. My wife and I played Crash mode switching off, and got golds on all events. Worth buying just for that. Tons of fun, and I think they ruined Crash mode in Revenge.[/quote]Out of curiosity, how do you think they ruined it? Just wondering since I feel that 3's crash mode is the worst of all of them, while Revenge took it back to at least most of the good of #2.

[quote name='daroga']Out of curiosity, how do you think they ruined it? Just wondering since I feel that 3's crash mode is the worst of all of them, while Revenge took it back to at least most of the good of #2.[/QUOTE]
By making Crash mode in Revenge more "organic" and open, it got rid of the puzzle aspect. I enjoyed figuring out the strategy to each level, like figuring out how to beat boxers in PunchOut. Revenge's Crash mode took too damn long, too, with the 10-15 seconds between your crash and the game figuring out how much damage you caused. I also didn't like its flyovers or damage tally. ALSO, I hated that you couldn't do it as its own separate mode, like in 3.

And finally, I thought the gimmick where you had to rev your engine the right way was stupid and needless. Why prevent me from having fun by blowing me up for no reason? That's not good game design -- as evident by its removal in the 360 version.

As a whole, I'm not a fan of how Revenge made you able to just blow through traffic. It kind of defeated the purpose of the risk of crazy driving that was the foundation for the original (which was the main selling point back when it literally didn't have a name and I saw it behind closed doors many E3s ago). It's still fun, but a different kind of fun than I expected from the series. Criterion and EA screwed too much with a winning formula -- which is odd since EA is always a more-of-the-same type of company.

Fair enough. Being that I'm playing through the 360 version off and on I had forgotten about the engine timing thing from the PS2/Xbox versions. That was awful.

Out of curiosity, did you like Burnout 2's crash junctions?

[quote name='daroga']Fair enough. Being that I'm playing through the 360 version off and on I had forgotten about the engine timing thing from the PS2/Xbox versions. That was awful.

Out of curiosity, did you like Burnout 2's crash junctions?[/QUOTE]
Honestly, it's been a while, so I don't quite remember what those are. I think I only reviewed the game on PS2, and never actually owned it after that; so I basically spent one day playing it in late summer 2002.

[quote name='ViolentLee']By making Crash mode in Revenge more "organic" and open, it got rid of the puzzle aspect. I enjoyed figuring out the strategy to each level, like figuring out how to beat boxers in PunchOut. Revenge's Crash mode took too damn long, too, with the 10-15 seconds between your crash and the game figuring out how much damage you caused. I also didn't like its flyovers or damage tally. ALSO, I hated that you couldn't do it as its own separate mode, like in 3.

And finally, I thought the gimmick where you had to rev your engine the right way was stupid and needless. Why prevent me from having fun by blowing me up for no reason? That's not good game design -- as evident by its removal in the 360 version.

As a whole, I'm not a fan of how Revenge made you able to just blow through traffic. It kind of defeated the purpose of the risk of crazy driving that was the foundation for the original (which was the main selling point back when it literally didn't have a name and I saw it behind closed doors many E3s ago). It's still fun, but a different kind of fun than I expected from the series. Criterion and EA screwed too much with a winning formula -- which is odd since EA is always a more-of-the-same type of company.[/QUOTE]

Wow, my sentiments exactly. I liked 3's crash mode much much more, and my wife and I also took turns playing through it to get all golds :) I never even got more than 20% of the way through Revenge, either crash or race.

I never played Burnout 2, though, so I can only compare 3 and Revenge.

[quote name='Backlash']Wow, my sentiments exactly. I liked 3's crash mode much much more, and my wife and I also took turns playing through it to get all golds :) I never even got more than 20% of the way through Revenge, either crash or race.

I never played Burnout 2, though, so I can only compare 3 and Revenge.[/quote]

Im also in the 'Me and the Wife played thru the crash junction mode' club! =D

And I also agree with all that ViolentLee said.

Plus my wife was dissapointed in Revenge after all the fun we had with 3. She says 3 is better, and according to her shes never wrong so there ya go.

The other night I finally got 'Outrun 2006: C2C' so were gonna play that this weekend. I get really immersed in the game when the wife sits next to me and yells out what to do just like the girlfriend in the game. ;)

[quote name='Backlash']Wow, my sentiments exactly. I liked 3's crash mode much much more, and my wife and I also took turns playing through it to get all golds :) I never even got more than 20% of the way through Revenge, either crash or race.

I never played Burnout 2, though, so I can only compare 3 and Revenge.[/QUOTE]
Do the toilets spin clockwise in your parallel dimension like they do in my world? ;)

[quote name='D_Icon']Has anyone played Dominator? I didn't buy Revenge because I was waiting on this one.[/quote]

I read a review and it said the game doesnt have a crash junction mode this time around. They said its not a true sequel, more like a side game, like the psp Burnout. I kinda lost interest after that. Plus the only system I own that its out on is the ps2, and they say that version looks like crap. If Im gonna spend $40 on a ps2 game, its gonna be GoW II.

I love Burnout 3 but I'm addicted to Revenge right now. I hate to say that Revenge has a better crash system. I love the multiple levels and not having to aim for stupid tokens. The multiple crash breaker system is awesome. My only complaint is the soundtrack. 3's is serviceable but Revenge's is god awful. I damn near blew my brains out when I found out that Fall Out Boy and a crappy mash up of the Doors are the best songs on the soundtrack.

bread's done
Back