Which defunct game magazine do you miss the most?

GameFan! That magazine had the most beautiful thick paper ever. The photos were so beautiful they never looked as good at my house. Plus the editors were funny as hell!

Next Generation was the US import of the UK's EDGE Magazine, which is still around; Amazon sells subscriptions and B&N carries monthly issues at their stores for $8.

Next Generation's best days were '95-late '99 or so, before the "NextGen" domestic redesign and loss of content. They were among the most journalistic publications for any industry - for whatever that's worth, granted that their topics of choice weren't as important as international politics. One of the more memorable was an issue in 1997/early '98 that asked on the cover what was wrong with the Nintendo 64, subsequently argued with the expectedly lengthy, multi-part article, with plenty of comparison photos, and crowned with an interview. (Next Generation interviews were second-to-none.) That may sound at first like what 1up attempts every other week beside "Fifty More Worst Game Boxes Of All Time", but having the centerpiece of your gaming magazine question whether the most hyped console in years was even viable wasn't passé then, and to argue it in a dense, cohesive article longer than many review sections would still be a welcomed deviation from the norm.

I still have all of my Next Generation issues, including their premiere, and read through them once or twice a year. You could quibble, especially with review scores. (Issue 03 gave Mortal Kombat II on the SNES a relatively rare *****, and Snatcher on the Sega CD ***.) Quality was sometimes uneven as they tried different styles and emphases. But all told, it was a hell of a magazine and my favorite by far.

There was also a card bundled for three free issues of Next Generation with the first run of the US Playstation. I'm not sure why that was the case.

[quote name='Nogib']Other. Although I still also miss GameFan, hands down I miss PC Accelerator the most.[/quote]
PC Accelerator by far was the most enjoyable read. Gamefan and NG were good for the actual reviews and articles ;)

GameFan was/is my favorite videogame magazine. It had a ton of import stuff, and the reviewers all liked the same kinds of games that i did (mostly 2d platformers). They would give games multiple pages that other magazines would barely mention (i remember a 2d game by neversoft that used clay). I also miss Next Gen. It has the best cover (it was made with really good paper) and it was good to see behind the scenes industry stuff. I always thought it made me look smart when people saw me reading it (I'm talking like 6th grade)

The old EGM. It was great back in the day when it was still a small time publisher owned. It was still good - but not great - after Ziff Davis aquired it, and has been steadily going down hill ever since.

[quote name='musha666']I miss Electronic Gaming Monthly. I know, its still out but I am talking about the 300 page monsters that they once put out. I get EGM for free (as I am sure most of us here do) until the end of the century more or less, and its good for the price. If they still had the 300 page issues I would actually *gasp* pay for my subscription myself.[/QUOTE]
Bingo. I remember getting an issue back around '91 with the TMNT on the cover that was the size of a local phone book...and that wasn't even the biggest issue they ever put out. More importantly, they didn't partake in the "we're too cool for gaming, but we'll throw our readers a bone with our witty insights and hilarious insults" approach that current EGM does. Yeah, some of the writing back then was a bit hokey, but at least they were respectful of the medium back then. Now I don't know what the hell they're trying to do.

True, those giant Electronic Gaming Monthly issues had a lot of ads in them to go along with the assload of content, but it was worth it. Their October/November/December issues were always huge, and the coverage of all the games coming out for the holidays was off the charts.

So I'll throw my vote behind Electronic Gaming Monthly as well. Screw "EGM."

I miss getting and Edge card and GMR for a low flat rate of $10. It was a decent read and got 10% off all used games. For some reason I just wont shell out $15 for GI and the card.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Next Generation was a refreshing mag because it really didn't have a lot of the juvenile slant and jokes that almost every other mag had.[/quote]
That's what I hate about EGM now. Back in the day they used to have some occasionally jokes (hell, some of it was even funny... well, maybe because I was younger back then but...), but nowadays it seems like the whole magazine is just one big unfunny joke. Look at the letters section for example. They respond in such stupid ways because I assume they think they are humorous but it's simply anything but. Also, there's Seanbabie's worthless section which has run its course long ago. Really, is he absolutely necessary? Does anyone enjoy his section or find value to it?

[quote name='musha666']I miss Electronic Gaming Monthly. I know, its still out but I am talking about the 300 page monsters that they once put out. I get EGM for free (as I am sure most of us here do) until the end of the century more or less, and its good for the price. If they still had the 300 page issues I would actually *gasp* pay for my subscription myself.[/QUOTE]

You can throw PC Gamer into that list as well.

I found some old issues from 97 that were about 250 - 300 pages in length... I saw their magazine at a store the other day and it looked like it BARELY broke 100 pages. Wtf?

bread's done
Back